Search Unity

udk vs unity ?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by vahi2008, Oct 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vahi2008

vahi2008

I am a unity user but i need to know the difference between the two-

1. Pricing ?
    2. can indie work in udk ?
    3. what about graphic results ? i see amazing lightening results in udk
    4. they also publish in android / ios / flash.....
    5. is there work flow similar to unity ?
    6. in what language we work in udk ?

who scores more finally and why ??

2. angrypenguin

angrypenguin

They're all things you can find out easily for yourself.

And they both score really well, but you can't really compare the two without a specific use case in mind.

3. vahi2008

vahi2008

ok about my use-

I want flash export,exe,android- awesome looking graphics, connected to mysql, unlimited free distribution

4. Amon

Amon

It's not UDK or Unity that scores more. It's the developer who just picks something to work with and starts churning out games. All this meandering and Engine Comparison bullshit is useless.

Go code a game, with Unity or UDK.

5. vahi2008

vahi2008

i was more interested to know people's experience about the graphics part and the commercials

6. janpec

janpec

1. Pricing ?
    Unity Free, UDK Free for full feature acces on Unity (Pro version) it costs you 1500 for PC and additionally same for IOS. UDK with released commercial game costs 100 dollars.

2. can indie work in udk ?
    Beginner can easily work in Unity, it is rather much harder to work in UDK. Experianced indie developer can work in both but it will take more time for anything in UDK, but as far as it is concerned on graphic part for that longer working time (set up) you get nicer results.

3. what about graphic results ? i see amazing lightening results in udk
    Yes UDK lighting is far better than Unity.

4. they also publish in android / ios / flash.....
    Yes same as Unity does. Unity IOS license is more expensive, UDK is only 100 dollars as mentioned before.

5. is there work flow similar to unity ?
    It depends how you look it, in core yes you are pretty much building everything in same procedure, but workflow paths are very different. It takes much more time to get something set up in UDK, interface is complex it takes while even to search things, it takes while to create build up folder, which is in Unity amazingly simple.It takes longer in UDK to import assets and set them up properly and on and on....

6. in what language we work in udk ?
    Unreal script, C++ is comming with UDK 4 somewhen next year.

who scores more finally and why ??

It depends what kind of game you want to make if you are beginner. For beginner you have to take in account that you will have much more struggle with UDK that you could have with Unity, it will be harder to find solutions in docs or forums, it will be much harder to find teammates to help you out, it will take longer to set up some basic scenes, it will require decent computer as oposite of Unity which runs on anything above calculator. If you do not aim for FPS and you are beginner i would say use Unity now, becouse otherwise you will come back in half year when you will realise that it is too complex to build it in UDK, while you still need to learn the engine itself.
    If you dont believe that take 1 month testing time in Unity and 1 month in UDK.

7. Myhijim

Myhijim

8. tatoforever

tatoforever

"The never ending story..." :rolleyes:

9. SteveJ

SteveJ

Especially when people keep resurrecting the threads................. ;)

10. fano_linux

fano_linux

Ohhh not again.... every week ther's somebody posting the same thing....lol

11. drewradley

drewradley

Except this one was posted weeks ago, died, and resurrected.

12. tatoforever

tatoforever

I though the story will end after my lovely "Never ending story" comment! Would have been a nice end for this dilemma discussed multiple times everywhere. :rolleyes:
    But yeah, Unity is better than UDK! Thread can be closed now. :cool:

13. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Like the neverending story, the wannabe developer ends up with The Nothing at the end.

14. AdrianC

AdrianC

I'd just like to point out, in case somebody reads this in the future that UDK only supports Windows and iOS. The other platforms are only supported by the full version of UDK, UE, which costs hundreds of thousands of dollars.

15. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

This has been discussed more than plenty of times. As others mentioned, a forum search would have helped big time. Closed.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.