Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ProWorld - Procedural World Generation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tertle, Oct 4, 2012.

1. tertle

tertle

2.0 is now out!

ProWorld is a Unity editor extension to procedurally generate terrain, textures, foliage and more.

Please note that ProWorld is currently under development and hence why it is relatively cheap at the moment but the price may raise in future versions. Of course all updates will be free if you purchase it at the lower price, but please be aware that as hard as I try to avoid it, the occasional bug may slip through and current documentation is quite minimal (just enough to explain the basics).

Video demonstration

Walk-through Tutorial

Legacy demonstrations.

Video tutorial
    Coming soon...

Features
    -Node based system to easily generate maps for terrain, textures and allows exporting the created maps to 3rd party apps and extensions
    -Gives the ability to easily layer terrain textures on top of each other with automatic blurring between layers
    -Extremely quick tree generation algorithm. Place 1000s of trees in the fraction of a section
    -Auto save feature when compiling or playing to prevent loss of work
    -Import from an existing terrain (currently only heightmap implemented, textures/foliage coming 1.1)
    -Highly optimized and utilizes multiple threads allowing work to be done in background without the Unity editor freezing up

Screenshots of editor (old, new shots currently being taken. Check preview video)
    WorldWindow: http://i.imgur.com/lX1lr.png
    Node editor: http://i.imgur.com/M4Nix.png
    SectionWindow: http://i.imgur.com/2paB3.png
    Texture: http://i.imgur.com/ynpL6.png

Screenshot of some densely placed trees
    http://i.imgur.com/N6C1r.jpg

Current known issues or limitations
    General
    -If you go too deep, windows on bar disappear (no scrolling)
    Textures
    -Textures while fade nicely together, are still too distinguishable between heights. Looking at introducing the ability to add random noise along levels.

Changelog
    -Fixed a bug with too many output links in the map editor being stored.
    --Any previously created world will automatically be updated.
    -Fixed a crash when creating new world from editor
    -Added a few premade terrains with randomization. More to come in future.
    -Added real time terrain generation demo. Not fully supported yet.
    -Added section support.
    --Terrain will now be correctly stitched together.
    ---To update existing worlds, just enter/leave the map editor and you're world should automatically be updated.
    --You can now also apply to multiple terrain at once.
    -Removed the debug code which was accidently left in that creates images in the users D:/ folder.
    -Initial release

Questions, bugs and suggestions
    If you have questions, find any bugs or have suggestions please post them in this topic and I'll address them as quickly as possible. I'll look into implementing any suggestion that has relevance to the project. I'm particularly looking for suggestions on nodes people would like added to the node editor.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2013
  2. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Have you tested this with Lars' Advanced Terrain Shaders (bump mapped terrains) and Terrain Decal System? Would be amazing if those could be used with (or driven from) your plugin.

3. tertle

tertle

Oh yeah I forgot to reply to that in the other topic. I haven't tested it at this time, I'll have a look into it this weekend and see what I can do about making them play nice.

4. tertle

tertle

I just realized I left some debug code that creates images on the D:/ when applying textures to the world.
    An update has already been submitted for approval, please update straight away when it comes available.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

5. virror

virror

Yay, buying this straight away : )

6. tombali

tombali

this is great! one question: are the future updates free if i buy it now?

7. virror

virror

Yes

8. homeros

homeros

I've bought your asset. It's very easy to use and very user friendly. But I have a question:
    How should I place a 2 section terrain (4 terrains)? In my case I've created 4 terrains of 2000 width and length, applied terrain sections to them respectively and placed them to (0,0,0), (2000,0,2000), (0,0,2000), (2000,0,0) but there are obvious seams where they intersect. Especially when the intersection is a slope.

9. tertle

tertle

@ homeros thanks for the purchase. Currently I don't have much support for multiple sections currently. I was intending to have it done but got caught up adding other things I thought were more important. I wasn't really expecting many people to find use of sections yet so I put full support on hold till later, but left them in because I thought someone might find it useful anyway. Technically if you really want to split your world into sections, you could just use the same noise for each section and then shift them (kind of inconvenient atm and I can't remember what number you'd need to shift it by). Hopefully I can get something working for you soon.

Anyway I intend to try get have a bunch of prefabs + randomization done by this weekend so people can basically just load up the editor and instantly have a new world to play around in. After that I'll start working on features for 1.1. Not sure if I'm better off releasing features 1 by 1, or just dumping a large amount at once. I want to keep worlds backwards compatible (or at least incorporate an easy converter) so I think I'll do whatever is easier to keep support.

Also just a warning again, 1.0.1 still hasn't been approved so if you apply textures to terrain, you may get a few .png files on your D:/
    Again I'm really sorry about this. I'm expecting approval sometime in the next 8 hours to fix this issue.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  10. virror

virror

Sections is why i bought this, my thought was that this was best suited for generating terrain on the fly, and to do that sections is needed. Not that hard to implement by your self though, but build in support is always welcome : )

11. Asii

Asii

very cool dude

12. tertle

tertle

I fell asleep thinking about this and I was wrong with a few things I was talking to homeros about. It should overlap fine because it's powered from same height map so I'm not sure why it's not working, it's just not handled automatically. My original version had different heightmaps for different sections so they needed stitching but this isn't the case anymore. I'll show a demo on how it can be done.

I did just noticed a bug though when doing this that in some cases for some reason (haven't worked out why yet), right on the left and bottom edges are is a strip of missing texture so it appears black. I'll fix this asap and post an example then.

I'll have much better on the fly terrain generation with the proper SDK and implementing offsets to the algorithms.

BTW 1.0.1 is up, which fixes debug issues.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2012
  13. tertle

tertle

As it seemed important, the next version now has support for auto arranging terrains, apply them all at once and they now stitch together properly.

Quick demonstration

14. houndie

houndie

Cannot watch it video is private

15. tertle

tertle

Thanks, fixed.

16. houndie

houndie

Nice, i'll be picking it up soon, but yea look into adding Lar's advanced terrain shader for future updates, be well received for sure.

17. virror

virror

I guess lars shader should work as usual, so just download it and try for yourself.
    How good is the built in support for generating and tiling the terrain on the fly? Do i have to code most of this myself or are there methods of doing this?

Edit: Getting a bunch or errors running this on Unity 4 beta.

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(627,58): error CS0117: `UnityEditor.EditorUtility' does not contain a definition for `GetAssetPreview'
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 627)

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(630,27): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.GUILayout.Box(UnityEngine.Texture, params UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[])' has some invalid arguments
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 630)

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(630,27): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `UnityEngine.Texture'
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 630)

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(674,57): error CS0117: `UnityEditor.EditorUtility' does not contain a definition for `GetAssetPreview'
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 674)

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(676,35): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.GUILayout.Button(UnityEngine.Texture, params UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[])' has some invalid arguments
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 676)

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(676,35): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `UnityEngine.Texture'
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 676)

18. tertle

tertle

Virror for on the fly, you're better off waiting for 1.1 as it'll have functions to do it for you. It's only half implemented atm; the algorithms I use for terrain are accessable but no easy way to get them to work and tree/textures are still partially embedded in GUI code unfortunately. I'll at least have prefabs that'll work on the fly by monday hopefully.

I haven't really tested 4.0 out as I was waiting closer to proper launch, but they just look like errors caused by GUI changes which I'll see if I can fix earlier than later for anyone who's already ported over to it.

I'm thinking about postponing features and just getting it completely working at run time first. We'll see.

19. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Did I understand your last post to say that ProWorld can be used to automagically create terrains at runtime? If that's the case and it also works with Lars shaders I'll definitely buy this. I've been working on a procedurally generated endless terrain system, but if yours supports that out of the box that'll save me a lot of time and effort. I can definitely wait until Monday for that! :D

20. tertle

tertle

Yes you can (at least partially atm), but I wasn't providing support for it till version 1.1 (hopefully 1-2 weeks time)

The terrain generation algorithms all work at run time, but theres no functions atm (outside of editor code) that ties them together nicely for you.
    This was actually my original intent of the algorithm (real time generation), but a visual editor is a lot easier to demonstrate so I worked on that first.

This is obviously what people want though so it's what I'll focus on that. After I get prefabs done this weekend I'll write a demo showing some real time generation and start on tying it together.

21. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Awesome! :)

22. Rico21745

Rico21745

Save a purchase for me. My internet is out at home atm, but when I get it back up and running, I'll probably be picking it up.

Anyone have any screenshots of terrains they have generated using this asset yet?

Also, definitely looking forward to seeing the prefab placement implemented.This + terrain generation will save me a lot of time, so long as I can get them to visually make sense. I'm thinking the ability to randomly generate a countryside sort of thing, with houses, trees, and other things placed procedurally.

23. yahodahan

yahodahan

Looks very, very useful and handy. Great work!

Just one major criticism- $15 is way too cheap. #1, it's definitely worth more than that, and #2, it worries me (and maybe other buyers as well) that support, development, and features won't be enough.

$15 is the cost of very basic, simple tool. The ability, or at least potential, of this tool is worlds beyond that- make it great, build in serious support and dev, and I'll happily pay $100 for it, because that's exactly what I'm looking for- a serious, professional, $100 procedural terrain gen solution.

Just my 2cents, as unpopular as they may be ;)

24. tertle

tertle

It's $15 because it's in development with limited support atm. The price will probably increase as features are added.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2012
  25. bbsbot

bbsbot

I like the idea about "Node based system to easily generate maps for terrain" and "a visual editor"

will you add more nodes? can user paint/create their custem node image for terrain generate in your tool?

and the idea of endless terrain is also nice. I still remember the 2th level of the soldier of future, there is a endless terrain, and player on a train moving along railroad rail in this endless terrain. will that can be done in your tool? if the terrain with trees and rocks can endless, the custem mesh that put in the sence such as railroad rail can endless?

26. tertle

tertle

I'm open to any suggestions for more nodes, if there's anything specific you want I'll look at adding it. I do realize it's a bit limited atm.

You can import image files you painted from 3rd party apps (photoshop etc) and also export from the nodes then edit them. There is currently no support for painting inside the extension as it'd take me a long time to get painting functionality even remotely close to a 3rd party app and I think that time could be spent better elsewhere.

27. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

So if I buy the plugin now will I get the updates at no extra charge? I don't really need this in its current state, but the ability to use this to generate terrains with splat maps etc on the fly is definitely worth investing in.

28. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Procedurally distributed decals, trees and objects and an "erosion" node would be on my wish list.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2012
  29. houndie

houndie

Hey there Tertle,

Picked up the asset the other day and have been playing around with it and so far I am loving it, very very nice work. The only annoyance I have at this time is the fact that I have to pre-create the terrain objects before I can apply the HM and stuff from the tool. Any way you can just have the tool create the blank terrain object itself? That way it gets placed where it needs to be, this is especially useful for multi terrain tiles.

Just a thought, otherwise I cannot wait for the upcoming additions!

30. tertle

tertle

I can make an option to create terrain for you, that's easy, but at the moment you don't need to set resolution/size/etc on terrain as it's set automatically when applied. Just need to create it which is 2 clicks.
    In the latest version (not released yet) if you look at above video with multiple terrain, it automatically organizes the positions and applies to all now.

As for prefabs which I said were coming, I worked out a bunch (islands, rocky mountain etc) but haven't got around to implementing them yet so nothing to show as I got carried away by the real time stuff. I'll finish those off soon as possible.

Also as promised I have uploaded a demonstrating the upcoming real time terrain generation.

The terrain in that video is powered by a simple fractal brownian motion so it's quite boring. There's no limitation on what can power the terrain though.

You can see in bottom left corner the terrain being destroyed/created.

The actual code for that demo is

Code (csharp):
    1. using UnityEngine;
    2. using ProWorldSDK;
    4. public class DemoTerrain : MonoBehaviour
    5. {
    6.     private FractalBrownianMotion _fbm;
    7.     private TerrainGenerator _tb;
    9.     public int Size = 2000;
    10.     public int Height = 200;
    11.     public int Resolution = 513;
    12.     public float Range = 4f;
    14.     public int Speed = 500;
    16.     void Start()
    17.     {
    18.         _fbm = new FractalBrownianMotion();
    19.         _tb = new TerrainGenerator(Size, Height, Resolution, Range, _fbm.GetArea);
    20.     }
    22.     void Update()
    23.     {
    24.         Controller();
    25.         var index = new Point(transform.position) / Size;
    27.         if (transform.position.x < 0) index.X -= 1;
    28.         if (transform.position.z < 0) index.Y -= 1;
    30.         // Checks to see if there is a new heightmap, if so creates terrain and applies it
    31.         // Run in main thread
    32.         _tb.Update();
    33.         // Create terrain heightmap at a point and it's neighbours
    34.         // This is done in a seperate thread
    35.         _tb.CreateTerrainWithNeighbours(index);
    36.         // Remove terrain that is now out of range
    37.         // Run in main thread
    38.         _tb.CleanupTerrain(index);
    39.     }
    41.     private void Controller()
    42.     {
    43.         if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.W))
    44.         {
    45.             transform.position += new Vector3(0, 0, Speed * Time.deltaTime);
    46.         }
    47.         if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.S))
    48.         {
    49.             transform.position -= new Vector3(0, 0, Speed * Time.deltaTime);
    50.         }
    51.         if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.A))
    52.         {
    53.             transform.position -= new Vector3(Speed * Time.deltaTime, 0, 0);
    54.         }
    55.         if (Input.GetKey(KeyCode.D))
    56.         {
    57.             transform.position += new Vector3(Speed * Time.deltaTime, 0, 0);
    58.         }
    59.     }
    60. }
    With the important stuff being just these 3 lines of code

Code (csharp):
    1.         _tb.Update();
    2.         _tb.CreateTerrainWithNeighbours(index);
    3.         _tb.CleanupTerrain(index);
    I avoid lag when creating terrain by using a terrainData pool rather than creating new ones for each new terrain (which causes me around 80ms of lag ie. extremely noticable.)

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  31. houndie

houndie

Brilliant stuff!!

32. Venged

Venged

Will this work with the free version of unity?

33. tertle

tertle

Yes, I'm pretty sure I avoided using any Pro Features, if you have any problems let me know.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  34. tertle

tertle

I'm going to submit next version tomorrow morning. Fixes a bug I found in node editor with having too many outputs. Loading a previously created world into editor next version will automatically clear, update and fix it. Also includes the previously shown section support, with fixes so terrain stitches together nicely.

Finally I've also introduced a few options to randomly generate various types of terrain at the click of a button. They terrain generated is quite varied, and you can go into editor and touch them up or modify them as all nodes are created with them.

That real time stuff will not be included as I still haven't finished the texture/tree part of that. I'll try release it soon as possible (hopefully under a week.)

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  35. Rico21745

Rico21745

Any idea on when procedural prefab placement will be in? This is pretty much the main thing I need outside of the actual terrain generation :)

36. tertle

tertle

What are you looking for in particular? feature wise, what would you like it to do?

37. Rico21745

Rico21745

Basically, allow me to place Unity prefabs, such as houses, and other gameobjects which may have other GO's as children in the terrain procedurally.

For example I have a few house prefabs in Unity, which are enterable and maybe have other objects as children (such as for example, furniture). Currently I can drag and drop these into a terrain object and boom, I placed down a house.

What I'd like to be able to do is to have the terrain generator place these procedurally, and perhaps flatten the area in the heightmap around the potential "house" (could be done by getting the collider bounds maybe?) so that it rests flat on the surface.

Obviously this system of placement would not look pretty 100% of the time, but it would save a lot of time. Specially if it can be generated at runtime as well. Do you think this is something your asset can do, or could maybe be modified to do?

38. tertle

tertle

1.0.2 has been submitted, hopefully approved soon. Changelog as follows.

-Fixed a bug with too many output links in the map editor being stored.
    --Any previously created world will automatically be updated.
    -Fixed a crash when creating new world from editor
    -Added a few premade terrains with randomization. More to come in future.
    -Added real time terrain generation demo. Not fully supported yet.
    -Added section support.
    --Terrain will now be correctly stitched together.
    ---To update existing worlds, just enter/leave the map editor and you're world should automatically be updated.
    --You can now also apply to multiple terrain at once.

Even though I previously stated I wouldn't I leave in the real time generation demo for terrain, I have included it but I'm not supporting and haven't thoroughly tested it yet, but I believe it should still work fine.

Sorry that the update took longer than expected, been a little busy (going through the hassles of looking for a new job...) I will try finish off the real time stuff this week, and while I implement the tree stuff I'll try get support for prefab placing that Rico wants.

39. Dogcomplex

Dogcomplex

Hey Tertle,

Hope the job hassles are solved for you :), just wanting to get an update on things with the builds :)

40. tertle

tertle

Quick update, I have the real time texture/tree generation complete but there is 1 issue that's plagued me for nearly a week,

I'm getting random editor crashes when I restrict the number of trees placed in a frame. If I allow all, or at least a large duration (100ms) of trees being placed in a single frame there's no issue, but when I restrict it to only place trees for say 15ms it crashes. Obviously I'm doing this so there is no noticeable frame rate drop.

Stack trace is not been helpful at all, but I'm sure I'll figure it out soon and when I do I'll upload next build.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2012
  41. dpharaoh

dpharaoh

N00b question... how do you launch the editor window? I don't see it in any of the menus.

[Edit] Restarted Unity and it's in the Window Menu. Sorry!

Last edited: Oct 24, 2012
  42. Grespon

Grespon

Looks nice!
    Does it work fine with mobiles ?

43. tertle

tertle

It currently uses the Unity Terrain which is supported on mobile devices but this can come at a performance hit, it's recommended only to be used on recent devices.

Though with my recent troubles with the placing trees on terrain at runtime (from what I can tell is a bug with the engine) I'm considering supporting another terrain solution, and if I did I'd look at something that has better mobile support (or write my own, but that's probably a large task and not sure I have the time.)

44. sacha

sacha

Hi Tertle,

Is there a way to set the terrain size to 256 ? Our system only handle 256x256 units.

Having a manual way to setup those settings will be a nice little addition imo :)

Thanks

45. tertle

tertle

I'll add manual sizing first thing tomorrow, won't make build till end of weekish though sorry.

46. sacha

sacha

no worries :)
    Just another issue. I was able to open your demo pw files once then nothing happens anymore. No error but nothing shown on your interface and i need to restart unity to recover.

47. tertle

tertle

Added text boxes next to sliders for size and height so you can now manually enter exact sizes.

Not sure why the demo is crashing, tbh I haven't tested it since original release but backwards there should be backwards compatibility but I'll look into it.
    Thanks for the bug report.

Currently I'm working on turning the editor into a editor for real time terrain, so you can generate rules and see how it'd generate when implemented. Don't worry, it'll still work for just normally applying to terrain if that's all you want.

-edit-

Crash should be fixed sorry, just a few things were null when I tried to clean them up.
    Ill get build up as quickly as possible

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  48. tertle

tertle

I'll probably have a video out tomorrow showing real time textures, I'd have it out today but installed windows 8 for kicks and giggles ($15, why not?!) and I have no recording software installed.

I'm pretty happy with how the scripts are working and performance is pretty good, though I still feel that 1 function could be greatly improved performance wise though, as it makes up 90% of the calculations.

Overall, the partial rewrite is going well. Sorry updates are slow, but what I'm working towards now I think will be worth it. You'll just have to wait and see.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  49. sacha

sacha

Make a PW scene, save it, reload it :

Nullref when loading a previously saved scene :

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ProWorldEditor.World.Clean () (at Assets/ProWorld/Editor/World.cs:89)
    ProWorld.Initialize () (at Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/ProWorld.cs:95)
    ProWorld.Update () (at Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/ProWorld.cs:130)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    Rethrow as TargetInvocationException: Exception has been thrown by the target of an invocation.
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture)
    System.Reflection.MethodBase.Invoke (System.Object obj, System.Object[] parameters)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName, System.Object obj)
    UnityEditor.HostView.Invoke (System.String methodName)
    UnityEditor.HostView.SendUpdate ()
    UnityEditor.EditorApplication.Internal_CallUpdateFunctions ()

50. tertle

tertle

Same issue as above post, that should be fixed tomorrow sacha, I'm really sorry, my fault for not testing something completely.

I've been optimizing texture generation a lot of stuff over past few days or so. Something important I learnt is how slow using the linq .Sum function is. Reduced 1 algorithm from 2400ms to 900ms just by replacing .sum with a 3 line foreach loop.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012