Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

ProWorld - Procedural World Generation

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tertle, Oct 4, 2012.

1. tertle

tertle

1.0.4 update submitted. Fixed above crash + added support for specifying exact terrain sizes. Also includes a few algorithm optimizations.

I wasn't intending on releasing an update till after I had full real-time implemented but with the crash I needed to get a fix out. Real-time texture/tree classes are included in this build but still have certain debug code and have a few issues so no support or examples on how to use them.

I was going to write a summary of what was coming out and my intentions, so now is as good time as any.

I've been working on real-time terrain/texture/tree and making it as optimized as possible. While doing this I thought I'd take the time to rewrite and consolidate large portions of the code so I can easily expand stuff.

Once this is done I intend to redesign the GUI part a little. While it'll look quite similar, it'll now be used more to create "rules" for generating terrain, effectively turning proworld into a full real-time terrain generation tool. The GUI will still have option to generate static terrain as it currently does. If all goes well, this will be version 1.1 and I'll likely increase price slightly at this point.

After that is complete I'll go back and start adding more algorithms such as eroding and placing specific objects in world.

2. virror

virror

Sounds nice!

3. R00man

R00man

Have you seen this tertle?

It might be relevant to your interests.

4. tertle

tertle

Thought I'd post an update on what's up. I fixed up my tree placing problems and I'm mostly fixing any performance issues.

For example, when I first started enabling colliders on trees in real time, Physics.Simulate caused large sustained spikes.
    http://i.imgur.com/tUtMB.png

I've managed to work around that, and spread work out over even more frames.
    http://i.imgur.com/ECEHo.png

Still looking at improving performance, but most delay now is caused by SetHeights() so I'm going to look at setting part of height per frame only for higher res heightmaps.

5. tertle

tertle

Optimizing this is giving me a really good understanding how unity works on the inside.

Was looking at applying texture to terrain in parts, but this caused Camera.Culling to call extremely frequently
    http://i.imgur.com/TOGx5.png

Obvious solution, don't render terrain until textures applied
    http://i.imgur.com/dNsdR.png

As you can see it's really starting to smooth out.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  6. tertle

tertle

Here's a video I promised a few days ago but decided to wait till I was nearly done optimizing.
    Very basic example. Terrain is just a fbm using simplex noise.
    2 textures using simplex noise.
    1 type of tree densely placed
    Tree colliders are generated

Please note I reduced cores it uses by 1 while recording to avoid any jitter so it's a bit faster normally.
    Also as you can probably see vsync is enabled.
    I tried to show as much info as possible (cpu utilization, fps, profiler etc)

Obviously it takes a while to generate all terrain at start. I would suggest a load screen.
    I'm about to implement events that fire off under certain situations which would make a load screen really easy to implement, as well as placing monsters in game etc.
    In fact I can probably build that start significantly faster if a load screen is utilized as fps isn't a concern, will look into that.

The biggest issue with performance I've had recently was "Physics.Simulate" which is the orange spikes in the profiler, mostly due to unity generating tree colliders. I've managed to space them out enough though and seperate the destroying/creating so that there's no big issue with performance.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2012
  7. tertle

tertle

Just updated it to work with unity4. I'm intending to keep developing in 3.x as I can't afford to upgrade to 4pro at this time but I'll make sure it is compatible.

Update will be uploaded later today, it will include latest real-time simulation. I haven't finished converting some algorithms but the framework is all there and I've rewritten all the core code. 1.1 will be out soon (read above for details)

8. Acenth

Acenth

Thank you for this great tool. I just purchased this.

Do you plan to keep Unity4 support up to date as well?

Any news on the Unity4 update? The current version does not work in version 4.

9. tertle

tertle

Sorry I got side tracked rewriting the the GUI for 1.1 and forgot to submit for approval before weekend (it's starting to look really good, hopefully people will be surprised and impressed). Up soon hopefully.

If you urgently need 4.0 support, find any

EditorUtility.GetAssetPreview

and replace it with

AssetPreview.GetAssetPreview

also in proworld.cs, rename Reset() and any references to something else.

10. Acenth

Acenth

That worked perfectly!

After using ProWorld for a little while, I love how easy it is to use. But I did notice that the readme didnt exactly explain where the menu item was to access the tool. Most tools either create their own root menu or put it under an existing menu. Maybe putting it under Terrain or just create a ProWorld menu.

11. ChadH

ChadH

Really looking forward to 1.1 version
    I was wondering if you had plans to use more "Random Terrains"?
    I especially like this ability of your asset, as it serves as a "base" for me to work with.
    Maybe you could use other terrain types like "Mountains", "Desert" and "Swamp"?

Thanks again for your excellent program!
    One of the BEST investments I have made in a long time.

12. Acenth

Acenth

I agree, I'd love to see more with random terrains.

I'd also like to see the option of adding terrain types together. Like say I wanted 2 rivers or adding a river, and coast line.

I love the product. Keep up the good work!

13. tertle

tertle

Thanks for the positive words.

1.0.5 is up which provides those unity4 fixes. Also the real-time demo now contains trees/textures/terrain working at once with many performance improvements. I do need to find some lower hardware though and see how it fares.

I'm working hard on 1.1 and I've spent last 2 days completely rewriting the "map editor" to use with my new re-written core. Sorry it's taken longer than I expected, parts took me slightly longer to do and I've been going through a long job interview process for a company which has taken up some time.

I'll hopefully have a preview up in the next day or so to give an idea of what'll 1.1 and the future will be like. Also I haven't forgotten about all those features I promised.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  14. ChadH

ChadH

Thanks for the update :)
    Looking forward to trying it out.
    Will wait patiently for the 1.1 to be released.
    You think before Christmas maybe...?
    No rush, just want to know if I can expect that in my stocking this year :D

15. Acenth

Acenth

To add to the random terrains idea, what about adding support for simple roads/paths (leveling terrain, assigning textures).

Also better support for grass and assigning prefabs/texture for the sea level borders (Like adding bulk rocks and other things along the water).

16. danreid70

danreid70

Just purchased (as of 9am, 11/23/2012 - CST) and installed from Asset Store - imported into project (recently upgraded to Unity 4.0 - Indie), but am getting errors. Do we still have to replace some lines in code to get it running correctly in 4.0? Or the fixes aren't on Asset Store yet? After reading the forums and viewing the youtube vids, this looks very promising... Would really like to get it running (finally have a day or two to play around with Unity again) :)

Here are the errors I'm getting:
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Map/Nodes/Modifier/SmoothNode.cs(81,34): error CS0117: `Smooth' does not contain a definition for `SmoothGrayscale'
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(192,39): error CS1061: Type `World' does not contain a definition for `SizeOfTerrain' and no extension method `SizeOfTerrain' of type `World' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(193,55): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.Texture2D.Texture2D(int, int)' has some invalid arguments
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(193,55): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `int'
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/WorldWindow.cs(17,48): error CS1061: Type `World' does not contain a definition for `NumSections' and no extension method `NumSections' of type `World' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/WorldWindow.cs(18,56): error CS1061: Type `World' does not contain a definition for `SectionHmRes' and no extension method `SectionHmRes' of type `World' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/WorldWindow.cs(19,44): error CS1061: Type `World' does not contain a definition for `SizeOfTerrain' and no extension method `SizeOfTerrain' of type `World' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/WorldWindow.cs(20,46): error CS1061: Type `World' does not contain a definition for `HeightOfTerrain' and no extension method `HeightOfTerrain' of type `World' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/WorldWindow.cs(29,40): error CS1061: Type `World' does not contain a definition for `NumSections' and no extension method `NumSections' of type `World' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)
    Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/WorldWindow.cs(30,48): error CS1061: Type `World' does not contain a definition for `SectionHmRes' and no extension method `SectionHmRes' of type `World' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

17. ChadH

ChadH

@danreid70
    Sorry to hear you are having those issues. My thoughts would be bad download/import from the asset store. I am aware that the "real-time Demo scene" is not working at the present time (will be in next version), however it is functioning properly for me. I might suggest a re-import/download and see if that resolves the errors.
    This is a really great asset and you will not be disappointed with it's features and capabilities.
    Let me know how things turn out for you.

18. tertle

tertle

Hi danreid70, sorry to hear about your problems I'll private message you.

19. danreid70

danreid70

Tim, thank you for your quick reply! Very weird - I re-downloaded and re-imported and errors went away. Strange. But you nailed it! Thank you! And I have to say, VERY nice system! Looking forward to updates! (would really love to add prefab buildings the way trees are added, and have the area around the models flattened so they don't end up partially instantiated into slopes... If that makes sense? Maybe random rotations for objects, too? Add to future requests list?) :)

To anyone deciding whether to purchase this tool - it's VERY slick and you'll have very nice terrains set up in no time, and only takes a couple hours from installation to having a bunch of scenes ready to go! And at the price on the Asset Store, it's a STEAL! Buy it! :)

20. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

I have just purchased this second. I don't have a use for it yet as I'm using third party software to generate terrains, but it's a great investment for the future. generating terrains at runtime!! the future looks goood

I hope things are going well for you with job and money. It's a shame a man with your talents has to look for a job instead on focusing on this great plugin.

Can you set up a paypal donate button and pm me the details. I will make a webpage about this plugin on one of my tutorial sites, but I would like to add a donate button on there so maybe some people will donate.

If i had lots of money I would invest a substantial amount of money in this. Unfortunately I dont.. oh well.

Keep up the good work :)

21. tertle

tertle

I've just put up a short preview of one of the new things coming in 1.1

@MrHoe, I appreciate the faith you have in this! As for the offer I might wait till I finish 1.1 before showing it off too much, hopefully you'll still be interested then.

22. virror

virror

Looking very good!
    Don't regret buying this for a second : )

23. shaderx

shaderx

i'm loving this tool, already using in my current project, few things that i needed to have in my process:
    1. the ability to grab the height data from the terrain in the scene , i was using a mix of sculpting using proworld to make the terrain so i found my self exporting raw height maps, opening in photoshop, saving as tga then reimporting in a nod , so if you could make a node to take the terrain as input that saves a lot of time.
    2. errosion terraces nodes, just using noise filters makes the terrains very bloby unrealistic , so these two filters would make this tool extremely powerful .
    3. the ability to generate splat maps after we used proworld for texturing, i didn't need this tool in my current project but it would help a lot with ats tom's terrain shaders

24. tertle

tertle

@shaderx if I understand you correctly, you want to import heightmap data from existing terrain? If so, you can already do that by clicking import but it'd be a new world which I guess is a problem in some cases. It's easy enough to implement it as a node so I'll do that for you.

25. virror

virror

Been playing around with this some while waiting for 1.1, spent around 4h maybe and here is a very short first impression review:

Its freaking great!
    Everyone should have this great tool in their tool kit, super easy to use and very powerful.
    Really love how many possibilities i have with both terrain and textures and how fast i can get a terrain going from nothing.
    Interface is very good and after watching the first video again i had no problem at all to make my terrain.

Now for some small issues i had:
    -We need to be able to set all values without the slider, this is very annoying as some values are very sensitive and a small change have very big impact. This is for all settings including nodes, texture layers and so on.
    -Some nodes have very few settings, especially the Simplex and Cell Noise, this make them a lot more limited than they should need to be.
    -All nodes that have a random value should have increased span, 1-99 seems very limited, also a good idea would be to have a randomize button to press to get a random value
    -Smooth node should have a resolution at 0.1 instead of 1 since there is a very big change right now.
    -Seems to be a bug when setting the texture "layers", i lowered the water level value but could not decrease the max value for the lower layer to less than 9 for some reason.
    -When setting water value and when setting the texture "layers", totally different values are used, those should be the same, best would be in terrain meters. Example if i want my water plane at y 20 then water level setting should be 20 and setting 23 as high value for the lowest texture layer should make a nice beach with 2 m sand above the water level.
    -If i have the apply window always up, i still need to press the apply button on the main ProWorld window to make the apply button on the apply window to work.
    -Use same texture settings on all terrain tiles, maybe this is possible already?
    -Possibility to tweak min and max terrain height when placing trees.

Mainly small things, but i hope they can be included in the next release, would make my life a lot easier : )

Edit: Found an issue that seems to lock up unity.
    If i start Unity and then go to the screen were i set up my terrain nodes, then try to load the pw file i get the following two error messages and Unity seems to freeze. Works in the other ProWorld windows.

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ProWorldEditor.MapEditor.OnGUI () (at Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Map/MapEditor.cs:261)
    ProWorld.OnGUI () (at Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/ProWorld.cs:168)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
    ProWorldEditor.MapEditor.Clean () (at Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Map/MapEditor.cs:482)
    ProWorld.Initialize () (at Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/ProWorld.cs:89)
    ProWorldEditor.Bar.OnGUI () (at Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/Bar.cs:56)
    ProWorld.OnGUI () (at Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Windows/ProWorld.cs:174)
    System.Reflection.MonoMethod.Invoke (System.Object obj, BindingFlags invokeAttr, System.Reflection.Binder binder, System.Object[] parameters, System.Globalization.CultureInfo culture) (at /Applications/buildAgent/work/3df08680c6f85295/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/MonoMethod.cs:222)

Last edited: Nov 28, 2012
  26. tertle

tertle

I implemented thermal erosion today as a node because I wanted a break from working on 1.1 and people seem to keep asking for erosion. I'll look at implement hydraulic erosion as well since I think it's much better. I'll see if I can get this out before 1.1, but it'll be there at least in 1.1

As for the stuff you suggested virror. Firstly, I thought I had fixed that error a while ago but I guess not. I'm pretty sure I know what causes it so I'll fix it soon as possible.

#Values without slider. This is actually a bit of a pain with how unity GUI work which is why I didn't do it originally, but I wrote a decent solution for thsi when I did it for size/height so I'll implement this for all sliders as well. I probably release this only in 1.1 as I'm already rewriting all GUI.
    #Limited options. 1.1 already has option to offset simplex/cell (cell is pretty dull without offsetting) so this is partially solved.
    #Random values 1-99. This is actually just a limitation of the slider. Slider is 100 pixels wide so can only have 100 unique values. If I allow setting values this will solve itself. -edit- Just thought of a cool way to implement this. About to sleep so will test tomorrow.
    #Smooth resolution. Not really how the algorithm works. That value is just how many neighbors deep it affects. 1 means it only smooths against neighbors right next door. I can kind of fix the problem with too much smoothing though by adding another "change" field or something as I'd rather not interpolate (or implementing an alternative smoothing algorithm).
    #Min 9. It's not actually a bug, but an issue where I haven't exposed the "fade distance constant". I kind of forgot about this, and I need to rewrite this so rather than have the same constant for each layer it's independent.
    #-
    #Apply window. I'll check that out.
    #Use same textures settings on all terrain tiles. Already works like this in 1.1
    #Tree stuff is being improved.

I hopefully have most of next week free which let me sit down and hammer out a lot of this stuff.

27. virror

virror

Thanx for the detailed answer!
    The smoothing is not really a big problem to be honest, keeping it the way it works is ok : )

Suddenly got some problems with texturing, been working perfectly all the time but now i keep getting strange behavior:

$textureProblems.JPG

Also something i have been thinking about, how advanced can i go on the nodes when doing it procedurally before it starts to be slow? I guess it depends on what nodes of course but still would be nice with some idea : )

28. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

@tertle, yes you can take me up on this offer anytime :) just let me know when.

Also this is more than I expected, it's brilliant what you are creating.

The one addition at the moment I think you need to do soon is:

1: Put your price UP!! are you mad???

Keep up the great work tertle

29. virror

virror

Just some screens of something i put together quickly one evening : )

$Scene2.jpg

$Scene1.jpg

Last edited: Nov 30, 2012
  30. tertle

tertle

Looking good =) Also not sure what that above error is, hopefully it's already fixed since I've changed how I handle multiple terrains.

Anyway looking for a tiny bit of feedback on something a little weird.

"-We need to be able to set all values without the slider, this is very annoying as some values are very sensitive and a small change have very big impact. This is for all settings including nodes, texture layers and so on."

There are some issues with typing in exact values (for real time) and while I do have a solution I'll also implement, (you'll have to press enter to update) I decided to also update my sliders and make them accurate. By update, I mean I kind of invented my own "sliders".

http://bovinelabs.com/slider/

What do you think? I guess they aren't really sliders since they don't actually slide but they're highly accurate and let you set any value.
    Tip: You can right click to reset! (Unfortunately in web player this also causes a popup but isn't an issue in editor)

31. ChadH

ChadH

I think your custom sliders a re a great addition and will be very useful. I think allowing the user to either type in the exact amount or use your sliders is great. I am looking to forward to ALL your future releases.
    Just a FANTASTIC asset and very happy with all of the possibilities with it.
    To be honest, I have spent hours just playing with all the different nodes and fine tuning things!!!!
    Your Random Terrain generator is nice, so that when I want Hills, I can just click the button a few times to get the Hills I want and am done.

Keep up the GREAT work !!!!!

32. virror

virror

Sliders works very good but feels a bit strange cause they are not moving : p
    To me the original sliders works just fine as long as i can type in the exact values, i like the visual feedback they give.

33. tertle

tertle

Got a new preview for you all. I hope you agree that 1.1 is coming along nicely.

Just a heads up as well, I may bump price to around ~25-30 when I finish with 1.1

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  34. virror

virror

Exciting!
    Sea level 0.37, what unit is that?

35. Zozo2099

Zozo2099

When you are going to release some video tutorials? please it is hard to use I see and I need a video tutorial for it!!!

36. ChadH

ChadH

Looks FANTASTIC!
    Am patiently waiting for 1.1 :D

37. virror

virror

Zozo, the video in the first post shows all steps, just watch it 2 times and you have all info you need : )

38. tertle

tertle

Sea level is in % of heightmap height (since heightmaps are typically just 0-1). Also I'm going to add the ability to automatically place water rather than you having to do it manually.

@Zozo there'll be a video tutorial to coincide with the release of 1.1

Last edited: Dec 9, 2012
  39. virror

virror

Nice, was thinking about the automatic water placement as well.
    Maybe its possible to have the water level value in meters or something instead? But maybe some like it better as %, hmm : p

40. Jaimi

Jaimi

Hope you get the new version and tutorials up soon... Errors all over the place for me just opening the windows. Not sure what is going on. Tried redownloading. For now, I'll put this aside, and just wait on the new version.

41. virror

virror

Strange, for me it worked right out of the box. If you post some error messages maybe we can help you get it running : )

42. Jaimi

Jaimi

It's just goofy stuff - object reference not set to an instance of an object on "_me.OnGUI()", and in another file on "World.Sections"... Not sure if I just opened a window in the "wrong" order or something, but it hosed up ProWorld, and it continued to do so after closing, reopening, reimporting, etc. I just removed it, waiting for the update docs, so I don't upset it again.

43. tertle

tertle

Sorry to hear that, I haven't had many other complaints recently of any problems so I'm not really sure what the issue is.

New version is coming along, I haven't had much time in past 2 days since releasing preview to update it but should get time in next few days to finish off entity placement.
    The next version will have a new algorithm for trees to clump them up and leave spaces to make them look a bit more realistic, as well as the current option to have objects evenly distributed (good for rocks, weeds etc)

Last edited: Dec 13, 2012
  44. virror

virror

Now that Unity 4 has built in support for normal maps on the 4 first textures, do you plan on having support for this? Would be great to have : )
    Sorry for all the posts here in this thread, just liking this asset so much : D

45. Po0ka

Po0ka

Does it absolutly requires unity pro or it can be used with the free version?
    Because i'm a bit interested about this. I just don't want to regreat buying it...

2 main questions, is it infinite terrain, a terrain which doesn't consists in copying the previous terrain to make it match borders with the other one? And will it be easy to implant some codes such as, "place a building at this specific location on the terrain"?

46. virror

virror

1 Yes, its based on noise so it will be random and "infinite".

2 Its just unity terrain, so its up to you, same as placing buildings on static terrain really.

47. Jaimi

Jaimi

How is the update (and tutorial) coming along?

48. tertle

tertle

@Po0ka currently all features work fully in free version. It's infinite and terrain borders match. Easy to implement your own extra methods for placing stuff. Placing large objects (such as buildings) and having terrain flattened is something I'm actually planning at the moment as I rewrite the tree placement stuff.

Anyway sorry for lack of updates. I had wanted to get it all done by yesterday, or at least my demo version (I'm going to release a free demo version that everyone can test before purchasing in future) but I was busier than expected before Christmas. Unfortunately I'm a bit busy for next few days to a week so looking at around new years/first week hopefully for release.

I've also been working on polishing a lot of stuff (some you might notice, others not) and I also in process of rewriting how assets are used because I didn't want to force people to use "Resources" so I'm handling linking automatically at runtime.

Anyway Merry Christmas all.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  49. Po0ka

Po0ka

I would love a test version for this :D
    Thanks for answering to my questions. :p

50. tertle

tertle

I've been adding some new features. For example I've just setup a quality setting for tree generation. This limits amount of times it'll iterate to try generate a certain number of trees.

For example trying to generate 100,000 trees (max I currently allow)

Low: 61042 trees generated in 525.2995ms
    Med: 82182 trees generated in 859.4904ms
    High: 89667 trees generated in 1061.6061ms
    Precise: 99366 trees generated in 1343.7682ms

There's a few important things to know about the results of various levels.

Firstly trees are placed in the exact same position regardless of quality, just some trees will be missing. This is important as the world will look the same regardless of tree quality (done by generating a seed for each tree rather than using a single seed.)

Another thing to note only trees without colliders are reduced so the world plays exactly the same. If all the trees your generating have colliders all quality levels will produce the exact same result.

You might also notice that overall that is much quicker than previous version. It too just over a second to generate 100,000 trees which previously took my machine close to 60 seconds to generate the same amount of trees. This is mostly due to using dynamic "box" sizes now based off the biggest tree so as long as you don't use ridiculous sized objects (20m+) it'll be very fast. Large objects (buildings etc) are meant to be handled by another system I am currently also working on.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2013