Unity Community

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

1. Posts

ProWorld - Procedural World Generation

2.0 is now out!

ProWorld is a Unity editor extension to procedurally generate terrain, textures, foliage and more.

Please note that ProWorld is currently under development and hence why it is relatively cheap at the moment but the price may raise in future versions. Of course all updates will be free if you purchase it at the lower price, but please be aware that as hard as I try to avoid it, the occasional bug may slip through and current documentation is quite minimal (just enough to explain the basics).

Video demonstration

Walk-through Tutorial

Legacy demonstrations.

Video tutorial
    Coming soon...

Features
    -Node based system to easily generate maps for terrain, textures and allows exporting the created maps to 3rd party apps and extensions
    -Gives the ability to easily layer terrain textures on top of each other with automatic blurring between layers
    -Extremely quick tree generation algorithm. Place 1000s of trees in the fraction of a section
    -Auto save feature when compiling or playing to prevent loss of work
    -Import from an existing terrain (currently only heightmap implemented, textures/foliage coming 1.1)
    -Highly optimized and utilizes multiple threads allowing work to be done in background without the Unity editor freezing up

Screenshots of editor (old, new shots currently being taken. Check preview video)
    WorldWindow: http://i.imgur.com/lX1lr.png
    Node editor: http://i.imgur.com/M4Nix.png
    SectionWindow: http://i.imgur.com/2paB3.png
    Texture: http://i.imgur.com/ynpL6.png

Screenshot of some densely placed trees
    http://i.imgur.com/N6C1r.jpg

Current known issues or limitations
    General
    -If you go too deep, windows on bar disappear (no scrolling)
    Textures
    -Textures while fade nicely together, are still too distinguishable between heights. Looking at introducing the ability to add random noise along levels.

Changelog
    -Fixed a bug with too many output links in the map editor being stored.
    --Any previously created world will automatically be updated.
    -Fixed a crash when creating new world from editor
    -Added a few premade terrains with randomization. More to come in future.
    -Added real time terrain generation demo. Not fully supported yet.
    -Added section support.
    --Terrain will now be correctly stitched together.
    ---To update existing worlds, just enter/leave the map editor and you're world should automatically be updated.
    --You can now also apply to multiple terrain at once.
    -Removed the debug code which was accidently left in that creates images in the users D:/ folder.
    -Initial release

Questions, bugs and suggestions
    If you have questions, find any bugs or have suggestions please post them in this topic and I'll address them as quickly as possible. I'll look into implementing any suggestion that has relevance to the project. I'm particularly looking for suggestions on nodes people would like added to the node editor.
    Last edited by tertle; 03-25-2013 at 04:43 PM.

2. Location
    32.71 N, 117.15 W
    Have you tested this with Lars' Advanced Terrain Shaders (bump mapped terrains) and Terrain Decal System? Would be amazing if those could be used with (or driven from) your plugin.

3. Posts
    Oh yeah I forgot to reply to that in the other topic. I haven't tested it at this time, I'll have a look into it this weekend and see what I can do about making them play nice.

4. Posts
    I just realized I left some debug code that creates images on the D:/ when applying textures to the world.
    An update has already been submitted for approval, please update straight away when it comes available.

Sorry for any inconvenience.

5. Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Yay, buying this straight away : )
    Current game: Age of Settlement

6. Posts
    this is great! one question: are the future updates free if i buy it now?
    My personal web site
    "Hire at your own risk" by Kuroato

7. Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Quote Originally Posted by tertle View Post
    Of course all updates will be free if you purchase it at the lower price.
    Yes

8. Location
    Turkey
    I've bought your asset. It's very easy to use and very user friendly. But I have a question:
    How should I place a 2 section terrain (4 terrains)? In my case I've created 4 terrains of 2000 width and length, applied terrain sections to them respectively and placed them to (0,0,0), (2000,0,2000), (0,0,2000), (2000,0,0) but there are obvious seams where they intersect. Especially when the intersection is a slope.

9. Posts
    @ homeros thanks for the purchase. Currently I don't have much support for multiple sections currently. I was intending to have it done but got caught up adding other things I thought were more important. I wasn't really expecting many people to find use of sections yet so I put full support on hold till later, but left them in because I thought someone might find it useful anyway. Technically if you really want to split your world into sections, you could just use the same noise for each section and then shift them (kind of inconvenient atm and I can't remember what number you'd need to shift it by). Hopefully I can get something working for you soon.

Anyway I intend to try get have a bunch of prefabs + randomization done by this weekend so people can basically just load up the editor and instantly have a new world to play around in. After that I'll start working on features for 1.1. Not sure if I'm better off releasing features 1 by 1, or just dumping a large amount at once. I want to keep worlds backwards compatible (or at least incorporate an easy converter) so I think I'll do whatever is easier to keep support.

Also just a warning again, 1.0.1 still hasn't been approved so if you apply textures to terrain, you may get a few .png files on your D:/
    Again I'm really sorry about this. I'm expecting approval sometime in the next 8 hours to fix this issue.
    Last edited by tertle; 10-04-2012 at 08:21 AM.

10. Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Sections is why i bought this, my thought was that this was best suited for generating terrain on the fly, and to do that sections is needed. Not that hard to implement by your self though, but build in support is always welcome : )

11. Location
    Denmark

12. Posts
    I fell asleep thinking about this and I was wrong with a few things I was talking to homeros about. It should overlap fine because it's powered from same height map so I'm not sure why it's not working, it's just not handled automatically. My original version had different heightmaps for different sections so they needed stitching but this isn't the case anymore. I'll show a demo on how it can be done.

I did just noticed a bug though when doing this that in some cases for some reason (haven't worked out why yet), right on the left and bottom edges are is a strip of missing texture so it appears black. I'll fix this asap and post an example then.

I'll have much better on the fly terrain generation with the proper SDK and implementing offsets to the algorithms.

BTW 1.0.1 is up, which fixes debug issues.
    Last edited by tertle; 10-04-2012 at 04:11 PM.

13. Posts
    As it seemed important, the next version now has support for auto arranging terrains, apply them all at once and they now stitch together properly.

Quick demonstration
    Last edited by tertle; 10-04-2012 at 08:22 PM.

14. Location
    Canada
    Cannot watch it video is private
    Dog Complex Games
    Taking a bite out of the competition!
    Donate to help keep the dream alive!!

15. Posts

16. Location
    Canada
    Nice, i'll be picking it up soon, but yea look into adding Lar's advanced terrain shader for future updates, be well received for sure.
    Dog Complex Games
    Taking a bite out of the competition!
    Donate to help keep the dream alive!!

17. Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I guess lars shader should work as usual, so just download it and try for yourself.
    How good is the built in support for generating and tiling the terrain on the fly? Do i have to code most of this myself or are there methods of doing this?

Edit: Getting a bunch or errors running this on Unity 4 beta.

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(627,5: error CS0117: `UnityEditor.EditorUtility' does not contain a definition for `GetAssetPreview'
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 627)

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(630,27): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.GUILayout.Box(UnityEngine.Texture, params UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[])' has some invalid arguments
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 630)

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(630,27): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `UnityEngine.Texture'
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 630)

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(674,57): error CS0117: `UnityEditor.EditorUtility' does not contain a definition for `GetAssetPreview'
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 674)

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(676,35): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEngine.GUILayout.Button(UnityEngine.Texture, params UnityEngine.GUILayoutOption[])' has some invalid arguments
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 676)

Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs(676,35): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `UnityEngine.Texture'
    (Filename: Assets/ProWorld/Editor/Tree/TreesEditor.cs Line: 676)
    Last edited by virror; 10-05-2012 at 01:10 AM.

18. Posts
    Virror for on the fly, you're better off waiting for 1.1 as it'll have functions to do it for you. It's only half implemented atm; the algorithms I use for terrain are accessable but no easy way to get them to work and tree/textures are still partially embedded in GUI code unfortunately. I'll at least have prefabs that'll work on the fly by monday hopefully.

I haven't really tested 4.0 out as I was waiting closer to proper launch, but they just look like errors caused by GUI changes which I'll see if I can fix earlier than later for anyone who's already ported over to it.

I'm thinking about postponing features and just getting it completely working at run time first. We'll see.
    Last edited by tertle; 10-05-2012 at 02:40 AM.

19. Location
    32.71 N, 117.15 W
    Did I understand your last post to say that ProWorld can be used to automagically create terrains at runtime? If that's the case and it also works with Lars shaders I'll definitely buy this. I've been working on a procedurally generated endless terrain system, but if yours supports that out of the box that'll save me a lot of time and effort. I can definitely wait until Monday for that!

20. Posts
    Yes you can (at least partially atm), but I wasn't providing support for it till version 1.1 (hopefully 1-2 weeks time)

The terrain generation algorithms all work at run time, but theres no functions atm (outside of editor code) that ties them together nicely for you.
    This was actually my original intent of the algorithm (real time generation), but a visual editor is a lot easier to demonstrate so I worked on that first.

This is obviously what people want though so it's what I'll focus on that. After I get prefabs done this weekend I'll write a demo showing some real time generation and start on tying it together.
    Last edited by tertle; 10-05-2012 at 04:41 AM.

Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast