Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

"Package file was not signed correctly" error on publishing

Discussion in 'Android' started by Cyrille Paulhiac_legacy, Oct 3, 2012.

1. Cyrille Paulhiac_legacy

Cyrille Paulhiac_legacy

Hello, I know this is an Android Publishing issue, but I find insteresting to talk here about it because it's an evil trap !

Customers that buy my newly released game have an "Package file was not signed correctly" error.

I find that I signed my key with JAVA 1.7 keytool (32bits), that used as algorithm "SHA256withRSA"
    I was thinking this - default - algorithm is not supported by Android Publishing, and provoke this error.

So I rolled-back to JAVA 1.6, delete my key from my current keystore, and re-create one (same name).
    And it comes with "SHA1withDSA".
    (You can check your keys in a keystore with the command:
    [JDK_PATH]\keytool -v -list -keystore "[YOUR_PATH]\[YOUR_NAME].keystore"

I thought that will solve my signature problem, but when uploading it in Google Play I encounter the message:
    "The apk must be signed with the same certificates as the previous version."
    I'm really disapointed, the purpose of the new update was specifically to change my current certificate !

Right now, I do not know what to do, I'm waiting answers from google^^.
    If anyone knows how to CHANGE an algorithm from a .keystore WITHOUT deleteing/creating a key, you're welcome!

2. Errorsatz

Errorsatz

We ran into a similar issue. The solution, in our case, was to build and sign the game on a different computer (a mac, in this case). Since this does generate a new keystore, you need to delete and re-create your app in Google Play to do it. I'm not sure if there's a way to generate the same key with a different algorithm.

3. Cyrille Paulhiac_legacy

Cyrille Paulhiac_legacy

After some researches, I found that was the easiest way.

I unpublish my game I generate a totaly brand new keystore and key, change the game name and re-upload a new Google Play page.
    It works.

But, I'm disapointed to have fallen into the "JDK1.7" trap.
    It is really a trap, we will not be the last ones to used the lastest JDK and so the latest -unsupported- crypto algorithm.

Readers, always check your keystore with the given line:
    you must double check to really be in SHA1 !