Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

underwater lighting w/ real time caustics

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by cherub, Sep 25, 2012.

1. cherub

cherub

2. CrazySi

CrazySi

Wow that is nice.

3. RC-1290

RC-1290

Looks fancy :D. Wouldn't it look even fancier if you see it from the top or at an angle?

Are you using a shallow water simulation for the water surface?

[Edit] Just saw the link you posted to on your blog. I guess its similar to the usual shallow water simulation.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  4. janpec

janpec

This is looking fantastic, i am so much in need of this system. Are you going to sell it on Asset store? Do you mind explaining how does it works, is it the light actually casting caustic like light cookie, or is there some other trick?

5. cherub

cherub

>RC it is not shallow water sim, it needs to run at 60fps:) also the game is 2.5d so this is the angle.

>janpec yeah, a few things will probably make it to asset store. yes it is a light cookie.

C

6. janpec

janpec

Excellent! Cant wait for you to put it on. One thing i am wondering, is space limitation big problem? Considering that you are using 1 texture for light cookie could mean that caustic is usefull only for small areas, since texture of light gets too big, or is it by any chance tiled texture with unlimited space?

7. cherub

cherub

>janpec, it all depends on what we need for our game ;)

8. bigkahuna

bigkahuna

Nicely done. I think the second video on your Youtube page is an even nicer example of what your caustics really look like.

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

I kept thinking I want to see an Ecco the Dolphin game using this tech!

10. RC-1290

RC-1290

Ah, I see, well, it still looks nice!

My shallow Water Sim runs at 60FPS, and that's with vsync enabled ^^. I'll post it later. I wonder what it'll look like with your caustics effect applied :D

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  11. jamesdunlopmusic

jamesdunlopmusic

Looks great!

12. cherub

cherub

>RC, are you able to extract a texture from the sim? we actually don't need anything that elaborate for fin but would be a cool experiment.

13. RC-1290

RC-1290

Yeah, although currently it is limited to 8-bit (regular) textures. I haven't found a way to move the full 16-bit floating point RenderTextures to main RAM, so the detail is a bit limited.

If you can keep the calculation on the GPU, even that shouldn't be a problem, since you have access to the RenderTextures themselves.

14. cherub

cherub

>RC, you should talk with our coder Jacob. he may be able to help you with the details regarding grabbing the texture into an alpha.
    jacob@jupitermoon.com

15. imjacobf

imjacobf

Hey guys, I am the programmer at Jupiter Moon. Glad to see you guys like what we are working on!