Search Unity

[OFFICIAL] ProBuilder: Fast + Simple Mesh Building, Editing, and Texturing (BSP)

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by yahodahan, Sep 20, 2012.

?

Which feature would you like added next?

1. Export mesh to OBJ

54 vote(s)
    44.6%
  2. More shapes (Cylinder, Tube, Stairs, etc)

44 vote(s)
    36.4%
  3. Chamfer edges

23 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. yahodahan

yahodahan

Last edited: Aug 30, 2014
  2. StonePaleAle

StonePaleAle

Great stuff so far! Very happy with it. Can't wait for the new features!

3. mohydineName

mohydineName

Excellent! How Should I export the model that has been created?

4. yahodahan

yahodahan

@StonePaleAle- great to see you on these forums as well! Thanks for the compliments, and new features are coming quickly :)

@moyhdineName- Exporting the created mesh will be coming soon, not there yet though. Thanks!

5. redchurch

redchurch

I have been using this for about a week. Laying brushes down really does feel like a classic editor like Radiant, or UDK, Hammer, etc. Updates are frequent, and support is responsive. I'm actually excited to go home and build some stuff this weekend. Even though I know tools like Blender, modo, etc., I've wanted fast iteration and the ability to quickly build inside the editor. If I need to take things outside ProBuilder to add more high poly details later, mesh export is a feature on the way. Until then, I'm going to have fun building a little city in this thing!

6. dactilardesign

dactilardesign

lol looks awesome! really nice tool for map making.

7. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks very much! That's the idea- it makes level building fun again! Like the good 'ol days of mapmaking and modding for CS, HL, and TF2. Or any other, naturally.

I do my best to provide top-notch support, despite being just one entity. A product is only as good as it's support!

8. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks, glad you like it!

9. UnityCoder

UnityCoder

@yahodhan,

Its awesome tool. With this tool, If we dont have any modelling tool, then we dont have to worry. But i have one doubt, if we have imported FBX file from max. Can we change that model inside Unity?

10. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi UnityCoder,

What you want is my other tool, "QuickEdit" (www.sixbysevenstudio.com/quickedit), that will allow you to edit any mesh at all, inside Unity. It's a great little tool!

11. napster

napster

Excellent work, waiting for the exporting tool

12. UnityCoder

UnityCoder

@yahodhan,

I just visited that link and its also look amazing, so with the use of that tool now we can manipulate that mesh inside unity. That mean no need to import another fbx.

I definitely recommanded ur both tools in my company. Its amazing and time saving tools.

13. yahodahan

yahodahan

Coming soon- keep watch via the forums if you like!
    www.sixbysevenstudio.com/forum

Thanks!

14. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thank you very much, were you able to purchase the tool via the site? It will also be on the Asset Store soon, if you would prefer.

15. yahodahan

yahodahan

Quick Update: Export to OBJ should be ready very soon.

16. IcyPeak

IcyPeak

Looks interesting, I wanted to try the free version quickly, but it is giving me a pair of compiler errors upon import.

Just a heads-up. I'll keep an eye out for the fix :).

Edit: This goes away if I switch platform from Android to PC Standalone.

17. yahodahan

yahodahan

Uho- checking that right now!

18. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hmm, just imported to an empty project, no problems I can see...are you using the latest version of Unity?

Edit: Ah, I see. I'll look into that further, thanks for bringing it up!

Last edited: Sep 23, 2012
  19. yahodahan

yahodahan

Export to OBJ now in beta, will be added officially in a few days!

20. midorina

midorina

Is it me or is there no copy and paste feature for this? It's really tiring having to re-do all your cubes.

EDIT: Nevermind, seems to be working now. Strange, didn't want to copy before...

Last edited: Sep 27, 2012
  21. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi decerto,

You can use Unity's built-in "Duplicate" function just fine with ProBuilder. Just use Ctrl + D, or Cmd + D on Mac.

Thanks for giving ProBuilder a try, hope the above info helps!

22. wccrawford

wccrawford

I've decided to purchase, and I'm trying to make a decision.

How often do you update ProBuilder?

The reason I ask is that I'm trying to decide if I want to pay the little bit extra for it to get both packages in the asset store, or save a bit of money and buy direct from your site. If you update with any frequency, I'd want the automatic updates, you see.

23. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi wccrawford-

Contrary to this rather late reply (sorry, busy day!), if you ask around on the forums I think you'll find updates, replies, help, and all such communications are very fast and lots of 'em!

I typically wait for major updates to release on the Asset Store, mainly because updates do come out fairly frequently.

However, you can purchase either way, and once you register I always send out updates to everyone on the list, as soon as they come out, no worries.

Thanks for the support!

24. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

I purchased this product from his site along with ProGrids, ProBuilder and QuickEdit and I would recommend these to anyone. They are top notch in all respects. Here are my little reviews of each respectively.

ProBuilder ProGrids:

ProBuilder sets out to do what it says with complete conviction. Level creation or layout design has never been easier since the days of BSP editors, such as Hammer, Radient 3D World Studio to name a few. Using this amazing tool allows you to design and playtest your levels right inside of Unity with rich and intuitive tools. The polish and integration of ProBuilder, fits inside of Unity seamlessly. Tech support is prompt, fast and very professional on all levels, with frequent updates! ProBuilder 2.0 is due out soon, which will offer some amazing upgrades, fixes and feature additions that will make this the ONLY BSP like solution for Unity.

A few people may say that the days of BSP are over, I would disagree as some AAA engines today still use them so that their endusers can design and create their own levels and mods. Now with that said, if you combine ProBuilder along with 3D props (Assets) that you either purchase on the assets store or model yourself, you can make your game level rich and as detailed as you wish, while maintaining optimised core level design. Really the only thing that limits your creation is your imagination.

Also ProBuilder is a solid solution for light mapping your ProBuilder levels, or optimising your game with no draw faces, colliders or occlusion, or even setting up trigger zones. This tool just makes it easier, faster and more fun.

You want to model scale precise level details to really push your level design further? No problem, export to OBJ format and import into your 3D App of choice. Model the required detail model, export the finished detail model and bring into Unity, as simple as that. (Using the level OBJ strictly for scale matching.)

Using ProBuilder along side the much needed ProGrids allows you to snap your content to precise locations in Centimeters, Inches, Feet, Meters. This is a must have tool to use alongside ProBuilder, and it still maintains the top support and polish of the other mentioned products.

Anyone that used to mod or map make back in the day, will appreciate how fast and simple this tools is to learn with a very LOW learning curve, which will allow even a novice to be up and running in no time.

In closing I would recommend this to anyone that wants to make levels, faster and more optimised without ever leaving Unity.

QuickEdit:

QuickEdit is another great tool from the ProBuilder developer, that allows you to tweak and adjust the vertices of ANY 3D mesh right inside of Unity without the need of a 3D application. This is extremely handy if you want to make variations of a single model with ease. You can edit the original mesh or use its build in, edit cloned version so your original model remains untouched. This allows you to have one model and have unlimited variations of that model.

I am very happy with my investment in these fantastic tools. I am looking forward to seeing what comes next.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2012
  25. wccrawford

wccrawford

Thanks for the response! Apparently I had bought it when it first came out, and then forgot. I actually had the 1.0 version from the asset store already on my computer. So the Asset Store won after all.

26. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thank you very much Steve, it's great to hear the tools have done so well for you! I might have to use some of those quotes in the "marketing materials" ;)

27. yahodahan

yahodahan

@wccrawford- fancy that! Well, good to know, and thanks for purchasing early! ProBuilder has come a long ways since 1.0, and just wait for 2.0... !

28. GWPGearWorx

GWPGearWorx

By all means feel free to use whatever you want in website quote. Like I said in my e-mail this morning I support those developers that show a strong support for their products. Including tech and updates, in which you excel at in both.

Regards;

29. angel_m

angel_m

About quick edit, is it possible to edit vertices in an skinned mesh preserving the animation?

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  30. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hmm, you know, I haven't tried that- I'll set up a test, and let you know!

31. angel_m

angel_m

Ok, thanks, I am very interested in that tool if I can edit an animated skinned mesh (character model) without destroying the animations.

I have GameDraw but it is not possible to do that with it. BTW I hope it will be easier and better to edit meshes with QuickEdit than with GameDraw...

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  32. yahodahan

yahodahan

ProBuilder 1.6.5 is out, small but handy improvements!

33. chingwa

chingwa

I am really excited about this. I have to admit I haven't read this entire thread yet, and I've only watched a couple of your introduction videos, but I am pretty much sold once Export to OBJ is integrated in this!

Question... can this be used with Unity's prefab system. Say I build a basic building out of ProBuilder blocks. Can it then be saved to a prefab and duplicated around the scene, without losing the ProBuilder editability?

34. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Chingwa, thanks!

Export to OBJ actually works, it's out in the Beta version available to customers and I just need to tweak some things before calling it "done". Very soon!

Prefabs are currently not supported, unfortunately, but it's in the works of course. Very important feature! However, you can use the built in "CMD/CTRL-D" to duplicate ProBuilder objects just like any other object, so you don't have to re-build things.

35. chingwa

chingwa

Hmm... OK, how about this... can I build a building in ProBuilder blocks, then convert it to a non ProBuilder mesh within Unity, THEN create a prefab out of it?

36. yahodahan

yahodahan

You sure can! :) That's a doable workaround, indeed. I promise though, v2.0 is in the works and will be a massive overhaul (literally, rebuilding complete from scratch), with 10x the features and abilities- including prefabs, of course.

37. yahodahan

yahodahan

Updated free version to 1.5!

38. Jaimi

Jaimi

If I purchase ProBuilder from the Asset Store, does it come with ProGrids? Or do I need to purchase from your site to get it? I normally prefer to purchase from the asset store, much easier to keep track of updates, where things came from, etc.

39. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Jaimi,

Sorry, I'm only offering ProGrids for free via the direct site link. Wish I could keep giving for free either way, however I realized that was costing me about $55 (over 50%) each purchase.

Actually, I do make updates very simple for ProBuilder and such, I instantly email the update to everyone as soon as it is out, plus I occasionally send out betas, free tools and other useful things, etc. There is always the official, and very handy, "SixBySeven" forum as well, over at "www.sixbysevenstudio.com/forum". Of course, that's open to everyone, Asset Store, Direct, or even non-customer :)

Thanks for the interest!
    gw

40. superpig

superpig

Drink more water! Unity Technologies

I've had a play with putting some basic cubes together and it seems pretty nice. You might want to look into HideFlags so you can stop all your helper objects from being visible in the hierarchy view.

So, how do I carve, split, hollow, extrude, and generally do all the other CSG things I'm used to doing in Hammer?

41. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Superpig,

Thanks, glad you like it. Actually, it does make extensive use of HideFlags, as best it can. I spent quite a bit of time on that...this is a topic of much frustration...there just wasn't a good way to both hide the bits in all cases, and still have certain necessary properties. For instance, if I remember correctly, in "vert edit mod" I had to leave the planes visible in the hierarchy, else you couldn't zoom on the object, or select them (which auto-selects all thier verts), and several other issues.

Carve, split, etc...heh, those were, at least in the TF2 mapping community, considered naughty methods since they quickly created nasty geometry that caused errors, while properly constructed geometry was much more efficient. That said, I would like to have some methods like this in the future :)

Many, many "Hammer Abilities" coming in v2.0!

42. Gua

Gua

Looking forward to it! I was Half-Life\Counter-Strike mapper for many many years. I would love if could use all that skill that I have gained. Right now I'm a bit on the fence, cause current version of proBuilder is missing some critical tools like different shapes, carve etc.

43. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Gua,

Thanks! Have you seen the latest 2.0 preview? Shapes are already working, and carving will definitely be included, I think it's become obvious that's a major request that must be given :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DuQW8m1QcH8

44. chingwa

chingwa

I was wondering if you could clarify for me the main intended usage of pro builder... is it a replacement for 3d objects modelled in a dedicated program? ultimately to produce game objects that can be used for real-time games? Or is it intended as a prototyping tool for quick building and testing? Then going back with models from a 3d package later?

I initially thought it would be great as a prototyper, but I would require a good export to fbx feature in this case... or is the consensus that you can use it to build useable game assets?

45. yahodahan

yahodahan

Hi Chingwa, good question- ProBuilder is definitely intended for real-game objects, if the look fits your style. For example, Half Life 2, Team Fortress 2, Portal, L4D, etc- those games were all built using this same method of in-editor construction. ProBuilder is very, very much inspired by the "Hammer" level editor that the Source engine uses.

ProBuilder is also extremely useful for simply building zones and volumes. Things like triggers, kill volumes, various post effect volumes, etc- building these with ProBuilder will save you, honestly, many hours of work and frustration.

Further, custom collision is also a handy use for ProBuilder- things like player clip, multi-shape collision, and much more, ProBuilder lets you create and edit these right in the editor- again, saving lots of time!

Prototyping, as you mentioned, is another really good use of ProBuilder. It is an incredibly fast and easy method of building your game level for quick testing, "grayboxing" perhaps. After that, you can replace with complex meshes if you wish.

So, does ProBuilder replace meshes/models? Heck no. Use both! Again, same as all those games built in Hammer, or UDK, etc- use ProBuilder where it's best, and meshes where you need the really complex detail.

Thanks!

46. yahodahan

yahodahan

Oh- and export to OBJ already works, but is in "beta" for the moment. Coming to full use soon!

47. chingwa

chingwa

Purchased! I look forward to getting up to speed with ProBuilder over the next couple of weeks, but I can already see how it's going to save me a LOT of dev time :D Thanks!

48. yahodahan

yahodahan

Thanks chingwa! I just realized how I know your name: Suimono! Very nice water package! :)

49. yahodahan

yahodahan

Also, big update! ProBuilder 2.0, Milestone #1 is out- check out the video!

Unity forum link for the beta WIP: (here)

50. chingwa

chingwa

Thanks for the compliments yahodahan. I just watched the Milestone 1 video...the make prefab function is making me very happy :D