Search Unity

" Crafty "patching system for Unity projects.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Sep 20, 2012.

1. SoBiT

SoBiT

You are gods

2. Mihai93

Mihai93

any news?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes Patch-Craft and Launch-Craft had pass all the tests in my opinion there are ready.
    We are making the tutorials after them we will send Crafty to Assets Store hoping that this time with those MASSIVE changes it will be accepted to the assets store.

For Fun i am making last test. Transferring 10 GB patch.

4. SoBiT

SoBiT

So can we estimate to be able to purchase it in about 2 - 3 weeks? :)

5. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well i was ask to not say it but yes i think that in 2 - 3 weeks Crafty will be fully available and if it will not be accepted by the Asset Store it will be released on the website we have rewritten 98 % of Crafty and we are VERY tired to be honest.

So no matter what the finished project will be released.

6. SoBiT

SoBiT

Any details about pricing so far?

7. Mihai93

Mihai93

So is going to be a Visual Basic projec so we can edit us how we like with ower UI?

8. Deleted User

Deleted User

Even so most of us think that we should take more, we had promised that the price will never be increased and we will keep our word so just like at the begging it will be still 50 $. We know that most of the developers in Unity don't have that much money and we really want to support as much people as we can.

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Launch Craft is integrated with Unity GUI it means you have 100 % control over it just like you have control over GUI. You can even use other plug-ins to change the look like for example NGUI.

10. XilenceX

XilenceX

If this runs stable and reliable at all times it will be AWESOME! :)

11. Deleted User

Deleted User

The only unreliable thing that we found is the server.

Its good idea to make a PC a server and not a website.
    Some websites provider have well poor quality services.
    We made few protections against it but there are things we cannot do. ( Home Made PC server is always better than website server at least thats our opinion from experience ).

12. SoBiT

SoBiT

No, I don't think so. Or do you want to run your Home PC over night? :)
    Sure, a root server would be the best value.

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

SoBit we don't talk about 2, 3 people downloading 10 , 20 mb patch. We are talking about something up to a thousand downloading 400, 600 mb patches. Simple website won't handle such download rate and it can crash the server.
    Thats why home made PC server would be much safer idea, you would have full access to it 24/7 and by the size of the server you would need most likely you would save more money on it.

MMO games don't use simple websites to run there servers and patching system but special computers in some cases rooms full of them :).
    But we are talking about massive projects here. So for simple games website is more than enough.

In a tutorial video we will show how to use both of them with Crafty. ( website and home made servers ).

14. SoBiT

SoBiT

Ok, thanks :)

15. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

Hi,

I'm main programmer in Penkura Team. We have worked on integrating Craftie with Unity by last months, due to Assets Store politics. I have checked newer version of Craftie on Windows, Linux and Mac OS. Up today we have reached following results:

Patchie:
    part of Craftie which takes care about making patch. It works in Unity Editor.
    • Windows: 100% working
    • Mac OS: 99% working ( small bug with directory separator )
    • Linux: 100% ( Wine should be working, but we havent checked this yet )
    Launchie:
    part on Craftie which integrates with game as launcher.
    • Windows: 40% complete
    • Mac OS: same as above
    • Linux: should be same as above but on some Linux distributions ( ex. Mint Linux ) game even not running.

Things we have noticed after making new wersion :
    • making patches is easier ( now you only need choose versions of game, not folders )
    • less programming skills needed
    • more convenient way to make GUI ( now you can use Unity GUI or other like NGUI )
    • increased speed of making patch
    • support for Linux and Mac OS, due to using Unity

TODO List:
    • decrease size of patch ( more smaller files are better for Patchie )

At the end, deadline for Crafty was set at 1st September. Have a nice day!

Wasikuss

16. SoBiT

SoBiT

I'm so glad to hear that :)

Thank you so much for sharing your project with us!

17. Mihai93

Mihai93

18. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

Current Status:
    • Patchie
      • Windows: 100% complete
      • Mac OS: 100% complete ( not checked yet, only code changes applied )
      • Linux: not checked yet, but should be same as above
    • Launchie
      • Windows: 90% complete
      • Mac OS: 90% complete
      • Linux: not checked yet, but should be same as above

There is one thing left. Launchie check versions, download patch, and unpack it to temp dir, but before replacing files, game should be closed. That piece of code is missing -> exit game, then replace files.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2013
  19. SoBiT

SoBiT

Will you send it to Unity on 1st September or will it already be released (and able to buy) on 1st September? :D

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

If everything will work well we will send it to asset store tomorrow.

21. SoBiT

SoBiT

Very nice :)

22. SoBiT

SoBiT

Were you able to submit it?

23. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

I'm sorry for the delay. We had some problems on Linux and Mac OS platforms. By now we achieved:
    • game with Launchie runs on all platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac OS)
    • patches produced via Patchie ( on Unity for Windows ) were succesfully downloaded and installed on all platforms

Following bugs were fixed:
    • game with Launchie wasn't running on Linux ( you have to include some additional dlls )
    • after installing patch, game with Launchie wasn't running ( only on Linux; you have to run game again manually on Windows and Mac OS :( )

More information about Craftie v1.0 ( specification, instruction, tutorial, examples ) will be added on our website and on Assets Strore page. Submitting to Assets Store will become today or at the latest tomorrow morning :)

Good Day to you :)

Wasikuss

Last edited: Aug 28, 2013
  24. SoBiT

SoBiT

Thanks for the statement :)
    Gonna wait for it and then buy it!

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Yes SoBiT CRAFTY have been submitted to the Asset Store and we all wait for acceptation :).

26. SixTimesNothing

SixTimesNothing

Congrats on the submission!

I've been looking for something exactly like this for our game (PC + Mac), so will be looking forward to trying it out.

27. Deleted User

Deleted User

First Video Tutorial is ready. I'm sorry for the amount of time you have ti wait but we improve Crafty so fast that this video won't be accrued for so long.
    We find better ways to make Crafty work and we already are working on Crafty 1.1, even after only 12 hours sending Crafty for the review to asset store.

28. SoBiT

SoBiT

Thumbs up!

29. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

this was stated exactly one year ago. Sep 2012
    hmmm, "Soon" where have i heard that before....??? hmmmmm......... :D

ohh yeah, it is developers time, no wonder, of course it is quite valid.
    For a code developer "Soon" means dont hold your breath, and come back in a year to see if we still exist, lol

anyways, enough of sarcastic jokes, But seriously, this must be good, since it took you guys a year to refine the application since you guys already had it developed since last year, i guess you guys wanted to make it noob friendly and work on fine details

BTW love the futuristic video presentation/tutorial on "patchie" it felt like i was watching the movie "Aliens" lol

ok, well, after a year, i guess you guys have done a great job on this application, well at least that is what you guys advertise, btw, the PR fella on this thread does a great job advertising this application, it even felt like an infomercial, lol

Anyways, i am glad you guys decided to "release", well, to try to release since it still not in the assetstore, yet.
    but hoping no more blah, blah, blah will come around about another delay for some reason. off course i would not be surprise if a new delay will all the sudden appear, :)

Quick questions:
    Is this patching system a VCDIFF patcher or best known as binary delta patch
    if not then i guess this will not be good for a medium to mid large scale multiplayer game/mmo
    since we do not want to re download the full game every time there is a new content addon or version to the game.
    plus we want to save bandwidth as much as we can like any multiplayer or mmo outhere.

Also how are you planning or planed to handle the patches storage download locations, will there be some sort of load balancer for the client patcher to redirect new download to a different patch storagge locations to avoid bottlenecks?

awaiting for your reply.

keep up the good work.

PS. I see you guys already working on v1.1, please dont let it be another year for new update, lol, ok, enough of sarcasm :)
    cheers

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

CaptainExtra300 if you read all of the 4 pages you would know that Crafty was made almost a year ago but was not accepted to asset store because it was out side of Unity program.

Also it was stated MANY times that it finds differences between files and creates patches. So no, you will not have to download 100 % of a game. It is weird that you ask this question if you say that you watch the video. In video i am showing a patch made from a massive project. ( the differences were found, cut out and compress to a very small size ).

We don't call people noobs we prefer term new, or less experience.

This is patching program with launcher connection from your server to your game. NOT a server making program.

It took as a year to release it because after Asset Store not accepting Crafty we had to rewrite everything from scratch and while doing so we already added Mac and Linux support.
    We love Unity as we use it in our main project, thats why we decided to make Crafty 100 % inside the Unity.
    Crafty is very advance it is only 2 files that work together in Windows 7, Windows 8, Mac, Linux and most likely soon mobile devices.

Crafty was send to the asset store and awaiting acceptation now its not up to us on when Crafty appears on the asset store but when it will, i promise to inform you and everybody else :).

One last thing because i have a lot of letters about it. When i said that Crafty won't have adds i specifically said adds from us. If you wish to have adds from your website, of your game you can, without any problem.
    We as a team that give you Crafty won't place ANY ADDS on the Crafty plug-in so you can make it look and adjust to your game perfectly. :)

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  31. CaptainExtra300

CaptainExtra300

thank you for the clarification,

the reason i asked was because in your other posts you mentioned you were testing patches of the size of 6 GB, so i imagine, there is no such a thing as a real 6 GB standalone file patch that i assume is the full game since most average games are around that big of a size, with the exception of a few 20 to 30 gb premium commercial mmos.

usually a patch is the diff of the previous release and the new update version.,
    anyways, I did not hear a straight answer.

is your patching system a binary delta patch system?
    or something else you guys crafted, if so ... would you care to elaborate.

also did not see a response for if there was a patcher server balancer
    meaning to solve patcher download bottlenecks? so every client wont be downloading patch simultaneously from the same download location saturating the server bandwidth.

32. Djiel

Djiel

Looks extremely useful. Bookmarked :)

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

No matter how big your product is ( it can be even over 30000 gb ) our program will handle the patching system BUT it will take as you think much more time :).

I gave you straight answer, Patchie creates patch from differences of the game.

Patchie creates patches on a binary level.

I gave response, Crafty is two in one program for Patching and creating Launcher system NOT server making system. Its 100 % up to you on how you will set up your Crafty. It can download from one server or from 10 000 servers, but it is something you need to set up by creating multiple servers :).

Oh and Djiel happy to see you are interested we are working on Crafty non-stop and we will be working like that till version 2.0. We will add about 50 improvements to Crafty system that will speed up patch making process, download speed, size of the patches and others, but it will take some time so we prefer to release stable working, nicely made version 1.0 that even now will satisfied all your needs. :)

34. SoBiT

SoBiT

Captain, nobody wants to read your S***.. seriously, this Asset will help many people to make a more professional game.

35. TE_Harel

TE_Harel

CaptainExtra300, it's 50$ what do you think you will get with that premium Pando patcher/Pando network license? (no you won't)
    Don't be a kid. if this works it's dreams as currently there is nothing like this even for 30000bit patchs.

BTW, though I only have 1 post I'm not affiliate with the OP, just checking this thread a lot as I really need this solution.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  36. Deleted User

Deleted User

I said not even how big the project is. Crafty dose not care about the product size it can work on no matter how small project to no matter how big project.

It can be as small as 14 kb or as big as 100 GB it dose not care ( no limitation on the size of the project ).

CaptainExtra300 i assume you don't know what Patch Creation Program is, but for your knowledge Patch making program don't make servers.
    Server making software makes servers.

CaptainExtra300 if you don't have any constructive comments than i wont reply to them sorry. I will try to keep this Thread as professional as i can, i don't think it will be a problem as i see a lot of people here who actually know what they are doing.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 1, 2013
  37. Wasikuss

Wasikuss

In conclusion, Crafty is system for creating patches and delivery their to game instances on computers clients. Crafty doesn't care about connection ballancing or others, because it's client application.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  38. SoBiT

SoBiT

The Asset Store team takes a lot of time.. :mad:

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Well SoBiT its a big project, i prefer they take as much time as they need, i don't want them to decline Crafty because of some kind of miss understanding.

BTW. All of the documentation for Crafty is available on our website. So if anyone want to prepare himself for Crafty, you are free to look at it.
    DOCUMENTATION

40. SoBiT

SoBiT

I already did that this morning :D

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Damn, you guys are fast.

Please note one of the last sentences.
    Please send us any request you have towards Crafty, we will read each message and do our best to make Crafty as good as it is possible.

We really want all buyers to send us request on what they want to see in Crafty so we can improve it to new better level :). We are looking forward to all of your proposition.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 3, 2013
  42. SoBiT

SoBiT

I'm sure there will be questions :D

43. SoBiT

SoBiT

Have you got any news from the Asset Store?

44. Deleted User

Deleted User

On my accoutrement page it still says that its Pending for Review but few hours ago i send a letter to the Asset Store support, just in case to make sure that everything is okkei.

45. SoBiT

SoBiT

I can't wait anymore :D

46. Deleted User

Deleted User

I got an answer from the Unity Asset Store. Crafty should be reviewed within the next 5 days.

47. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Sounds quite useful. Will keep an eye out for its launch on the asset store.

48. Deleted User

Deleted User

Crafty is accepted by the Asset Store Team and should be soon in the Assets Store. Congratulations to our Programmer for his big success in creating advance patching program, fantastic beta testers who help us greatly and all waiting buyers on the Unity Forum we thank you for your patients.

Just like it was stated on the forum of the Unity, please send request on what you want to add or change in Crafty threw our Contact Section on the Penkura website we want to improve Crafty as much as possible but we need you for that. All request will taken very serious and we will make sure we will give you as good results as possible.

In Crafty 1.1 we will greatly improve our GUI example Launcher in the Crafty plug-in to present much advance look, and greatly improve Patching system till than no more info can be said as you decide what will be added in Crafty 1.1.

$Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 13, 2013
  49. SoBiT

SoBiT

Oh my god, IT'S ONLINE

50. Deleted User

Deleted User

Haha jest SoBiT it is finally online. Sorry it took so long but i start to believe in Friday 13. The moment Asset Store Team accepted our Crafty, under Crafty it self Critical Error Appear and they could not post it on Asset Store from Unknown reasons. But Asset Store engineers after few days fixed the problems.

Again Crafty 1.1 is almost ready we will wait with this update so any buyers who will check Crafty for the first time can send to us there proposition on what they want to see added to Crafty, we will do our best to add as much functions as possible.

So if you have any wish towards Crafty please post it here or send it to our email support@penkura.com you can also find us in the contact section of our website here.