Search Unity

Cinema4D Human model with Inversed Kinematics

Discussion in 'Asset Importing & Exporting' started by Tripwire, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Tripwire

Tripwire

Hi,

I'm using a model of a Human which is doing some exercises. We use Inversed Kinematics for the animations. but we are having some problems in unity3d with the animations. The animations in Cinema4D are working perfectly, but when imported in unity3d some parts of the model (especially the feet) aren't in the right position when playing an animation. When the animation is done the model should return to it's basic position, but the feet are always crooked.
    Is there a way to fix this? Are there any import settings i should look into when importing a C4D file?

Some pics to show what i mean:
    Before animations

After animation is finished and model is returned to the idle state

Note that this also happens sometimes with the hands and the position of the human itself. And when playing the animation in C4D everything is correct.

EDIT:
    Some more pictures of things going wrong in an animation:

2. artzfx

artzfx

3. Tripwire

Tripwire

thx for your replay artzfx!

I'm not using FBX files anymore, i'm just importing the c4d file directly in Unity3D. I didn't use bake animations, but now i tried in out and it came up with the same results as above. Is there anything else what could be the problem?

4. artzfx

artzfx

Sorry for late reply. What version of C4D and FBX exporter are you using? I notice in R14 that "Bake All Frames" option has been included with the FBX exporter. I have always used Bandini's script because it allows me to bake then separate the mesh and animations prior to exporting, plus delete any constraints.

I always export to FBX manually rather than use the Unity>C4D auto importer, hence I always keep my .c4d files outside of my Unity Project "Assets" folder to avoid the auto importer from firing when I open the Unity project. It shouldn't make much difference in your instance but I feel I have more control this way. If you are allowing the auto importer to be used then it is going to import everything that is inside your .c4d file.

The C4D FBX exporter has been somewhat temperamental over the past 4 versions of C4D.

Last edited: Oct 1, 2012
  5. Tripwire

Tripwire

Hi Artzfx,

Same here with the late reply :p but i think i fixed the problem. I had a lot of contraints in my model which screwed up some animations. I used the bake all frames options and that also seemed to work. Overall everything is working fine now :) thx for the help!