Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

2D Character Proof of Concept idea, Could use some pointers on how to achieve~

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by RoflBloxa, Sep 17, 2012.

1. RoflBloxa

RoflBloxa

So, I was doing some Scripting in javascript, Which is when I come up with most of my good ideas, game related. Basically the idea is a Rectangular box on a Parralax terrain(If you don't know what a Parralax is, Google It) With a script to change the texture, For example , To change the texture when it jumps to a sprite of your jumping character, And when you hit the ground, To change it back, Simple as so, Making an illusion of a 2D Character when it is really a 3D Box, Just with it facing the camera creating the illusion it is 2D. My question Is- How would one write a script to do this? I'm semi Newb with unity, But this seems like a pretty good idea, And I'm just looking for... Ideas for Javascript on how to do it.. So, Anybody? :) If you do, Don't post an Entire... Script on how to do this. It's better to write it yourself than it is to Copy/Paste, Isn't it?

2. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Changing texture is a bit expensive, generally you want to use one texture and cycle the UV co-ordinates of your mesh (which is just a plane). Alternatively change the materials textures offsets (which is simpler and fine if you don't have too many animated objects).

If you want to do it at as a learning project go right ahead, however there are complex tools on the asset store to do this (and more) for you or a free script available here: http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=SpriteManager

3. RoflBloxa

RoflBloxa

This is probably going to be more of a Learning project, I'm probably going to make about 5 before pursuing a full game, And this is my second. I figured I would try my hand at making a 2D Project, And probably save it for later. xD I'm not going for performance, Just for functionality. Thanks for the feedback :)