Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Terrain Composer2 a next generation GPU powered terrain tool.

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by eagle555, Sep 16, 2012.

1. SOULSSAGA

SOULSSAGA

SOUNDS EXITING .

Could you guys do a Web player, or a Exe Build. So We all could try it out.

Im Sure having a live Demo it will dazzle many, and even touch , more the core of potential buyers that are still undecided about the power and results of this new technologies inside unity.

I think would be cool to make some WebPlayers And Exe Showcasing What TerrainComposer Can Do in Realtime. We see alot of Image Demos, but are the webplayers and pc mac demos that really make impact on the viewer and even make some more entusiastic decisions on buyers.

Who knows a small plane or helicopter or off road race Demo ...
    I think would Be Ubber Cool.

All the best !

DINIS

Cheers.

All the very best

/ R.I.Silva Dinis

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  2. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Dinis,

Peter and Tomasz will make a webplayer/runtime from it when ready, they just show work in progress, as it isn't finished yet. They're planning to make a little game from it.

3. brokan3

brokan3

World composer the price raise?

4. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Dinis,

Yes I'm working on a WorldComposer build demo with Unity FS. Peter and Tomasz are working on a demo with RTP and TerrainComposer. So its all comming.

All the best too!
    Nathaniel

5. eagle555

eagle555

Yes the $55 was introduction beta price. I added a lot of stuff in the meantime, WorldComposer is on such level that $75 is still very low. I could ask at least $200 for it.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  6. brokan3

brokan3

Oh! i don't know $55 is introduction beta price.
    If i know it, i will buy it before.

will raise again before you put on asset store?

7. eagle555

eagle555

It won't be raised on the Asset Store. And once submitted and accepted by the Asset Store in will only be available there.

8. John-G

John-G

Wow fantastic feature, that was one I was hoping for. Had a few times while trying out multi-terrains where i had to manually assign all the satellite Images on a large terrain (so this will save a bit of time there).

@Peter, after seeing those demo scenes - I quickly purchased RTP2, simply stunning really brings the power of TerrainComposer and RTP together.

9. eagle555

eagle555

Hello John,

You can contact Tomasz as he has A beta of RTP3, it works a lot faster on Multi terrains, we are talking from 8-10 fps with RTP2 to 130 FPS with RTP3 on 16x16 terrain tiles (on my machine) and there's so many added features and improvements, etc.

10. John-G

John-G

Thanks, sent him a beta request. Wow that's a huge performance increase with V3. :)

11. eagle555

eagle555

I'm working on an update of TerrainComposer as it has some little bugs with generating from images. I pretty much fixed those and testing everything now, the update 1.12 will be online soon.

12. Rico21745

Rico21745

Any idea if the runtime API will be ready for 2.0? That's one of the main things I want out of TC that is currently missing (already a customer).

The way I see it, if we could simply do something like save a template (all the settings used to generate a terrain made using TerrainComposer, which I believe is already a feature) and then be able to call at runtime a function that executes said template on a List or array of terrain objects, would be awesome. Even better if you could have it modify the template using a certain value to provide for a little randomization (could be a number or a word ala mine craft and other games)

To me it seems like adding this may not be too bad, since you already can load presets from the template files, so all that's missing is being able to apply the template to a list of terrains at runtime with the seed. This would be extremely awesome if it came soon!

13. Becoming

Becoming

Hey John! Thats really awesome to hear, it shows that my work, hmm, well works ;)
    I try my best to support Tom's work and hope he gets many new customers. The reason is that my company need such awesome systems because the games we work on, rely heavily on graphics - and without RTP it would not be possible in Unity, the same can be said about Terrain Composer. I can tell you that it is worth to support these idealistic people who make such awesome tools. If they fail to make revenue with these systems they will do other stuff for a living and we developers would have a hard time to come up with all those cool things on our own. Imagine how much time an indie company would need to invest to make inhouse tech that can do the same. For the few bucks on the asset store you can save yourself, or your team from months of work and that would cost insane amounts of money. So all in all, i'm very happy about your post and let it be said again:

People, support those genius assetstore devs like Thomasz and Nathaniel. You guys can benefit a lot from their work, so at least take a few minutes and rate their products, write a review or better, both!

Thanks for your time!
    Peter

14. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Rico,

I already was working on the runtime documentation some months ago as it is already there. TC does work in runtime. But the documentation isn't finished yet, but its enough to get you going. The functions might be a little different, but you can look it up in the code. Because I worked on TC2 I didn't continue with it.

http://www.terraincomposer.com/TerrainComposer_Runtime.unitypackage

I also added a page for this on the TerrainComposer site.

Best Regards,
    Nathaniel

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  15. eagle555

eagle555

There's a new TerrainComposer update 1.12 available, can update it in TC Menu -> Help -> Update. It fixes loading images in filters and subfilters. Also image import size can be changed now filters and subfilters

16. Rico21745

Rico21745

Thanks Nathaniel, I'll have a look when I get home :)

17. eagle555

eagle555

WorldComposer Update 0.96

There's a new WorldComposer available, now you can scale down/up terrains and the terraindata wasn't added to the terrain collider which is fixed now.

18. CaptainChristian

CaptainChristian

I just updated TerrainComposer from version 1.040 to 1.120 and I cannot apply splatmaps anymore. I get a NullReferenceException in Editor/Graphics.cs calling Texture2d.SetPixel in line 865 after calling from terraincomposer_save.generate_output in line 5489.

Should I remove and reinstall TerrainComposer?

Edit: I think I solved it.
    Problem was two TerrainComposer gos were active at the same time. One from the old version with another name of the new one. That's why I recognized the problem at first.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  19. shoo

shoo

I always have an error:
    Failed setting triangles. The number of supplied triangle indices must be a multiple of 3.
    UnityEngine.Mesh:SetTriangles(Int32[], Int32)
    MeshCombineUtility:Combine(MeshInstance[], Boolean) (at Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/Utility Scripts/MeshCombineUtility.cs:177)
    CombineChildren:Start() (at Assets/Standard Assets/Scripts/Utility Scripts/CombineChildren.cs:66)

I can't understantand why it occur. Also, some objects are seen in Scene and Game view, but disapper after start. At the same time another objects works correctly. Please help! I have no idee what to do.

20. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Thank you for notifying. That's the meshcombining standard Unity script. It seems that Unity4 needs another, I will fix this. You can import the Combine scripts in Unity Menu -> Assets -> Import Package -> Scripts. And then it should work fine.

Let me know if this solves it ;).

Best Regards,
    Nathaniel

21. shoo

shoo

Thank's! Now it works perfect.

22. CaptainChristian

CaptainChristian

Hm, it looks like the error appeared again while generating splatmaps. Do you have an idea where the error could come from?

23. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

I will take a look tommorow morning. If you send me a screenshot of your setup to my email address, I can easier find what could be wrong. Or we can Skype, my account is Nathaniel.Doldersum

24. eagle555

eagle555

A new version of TerrainComposer 1.13 is available. It has a grass layer fix and now object instantiate prefab. Also a new improvement that only layers are visable from selected output button.

Also a new WorldComposer 0.97 is available. With auto save global settings feature.

25. RitualCircle

RitualCircle

Hi Nathaniel.

I'm very sorry I didn't have the time to test your solution for the RTP script assignement :\

Then, I saw this post, and, again, thank you for the hard work, this new embeded collaboration is bliss !!!

Best Regards,

Julien

26. lsgheero

lsgheero

Just want to say this is an awesome asset! I am also making a simulation of sorts involving robots and needed a method for making huge realistic terrains! Totally worth the buy if anyone is still on the fence... bit of a learning curve just due to the sheer power of this item.. but well worth it!

27. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Thank you very much for the review. Yes there's a bit of learning curve, bit this is mainly resolved in comming TerrainComposer2 with node view and preview windows. Feel free to make a review on the Asset Store ;).

Best Regards,
    Nathaniel

28. lsgheero

lsgheero

Just curious any tips on making a large terrain, such as is there a certain tile amount you want to stay within, certain size in Kilometeres? Been playing around with it doesn't seem to have any limitations but wasn't certain if there was a limit you would recommend. Right now playing with a 34x34km range with 35x35 tiles.

29. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

That's a good question. It depends very much on the total resolution you want to use. Every tile has a little overhead, so less would be better. Also if you use RTP for colormaps, sometimes you want each terrain to have a certain colormap resolution. I'm making a demo for WorldComposer+UnityFS+RTP3, and there I use in the middle 16x16 = 256 terrains with 2048x2048 colormaps. So in this case 16x16 is needed, because 2k is a little better then 4k colormaps.

But for the terrain streamer I'm going to make it's best to use not more than 256x256 resolutions (do to framerate drop with instantiating higher resolution terain), but with TerrainComposer2 you can split each terrain into 2x2, so it would be no problem as you can convert finished terrain (without having the layers in TC) to a lower resoluton anytime. If you have the layers in TC, you can change to any resolution anytime and regenerate the terains again.

Best Regards.
    Nathaniel

30. shwa

shwa

"terrain streamer"

"preview windows"

Liking the sounds of these things.

/ shwa

31. Jum

Jum

I have watched your WorldComposer Demo. It looks really nice.
    I am going to buy it via paypal and asset store. I have some questions:

When are you going to release Terrain Composer2?
    should i wait for it or if i buy the TerrainComposer's current version can i upgrade it to TC2 for free?
    Also, does TerrainComposer's current version includes the WorldComposer ?
    if not, is there a bundle with lower price for both?

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  32. lsgheero

lsgheero

Not trying to speak on behalf of the dev and by all means he is welcome to correct anywhere I am wrong... But just from what I know I believe these are the answers to your questions...

When are you going to release Terrain Composer2, should i wait for it or if i buy the TerrainComposer's current version can i upgrade it to TC2 for free?
    - I do not think a release date has been mentioned yet but as far as I know you do get the upgrade to version 2 if you already own version 1.

Also, does TerrainComposer's current version includes the WorldComposer?
    - They are not a combined item, they are 2 separate projects that can be used together, however you can buy and use world composer without owning terrain composer if you choose to...

if not, is there a bundle with lower price for both?
    - Presently there are no bundled prices/packing. I know he is working on getting world composer into the asset store, right now you buy terrain composer via the asset store and world composer via his site using paypal. Both programs have a built in update feature so the fact you are buying world composer via his site is not an issue. Once again regarding the bundled package pricing based on what I have read in this forum and the power of these 2 tool I doubt you will see a combined lower price for both package but i could be wrong.....

Finally.....
    - Having recently bought both these tools this past weekend I can say they are totally worth the money and I have just scratched the surface of the tools power! I presently have a map that is over 100Km and also has 1,045,931 trees on it.... even with that I get 60+fps solid... just amazing!

Small screenshot below to show WIP map with tree and thats the FPS inside the editor which is always lower then releases

Last edited: Sep 23, 2013
  33. Jum

Jum

Wow thanks for the detailed answers :)

34. eagle555

eagle555

Thanks for answering the questions Jum :), it's all true what you say, so I don't need to add anyting. I'm glad you like TC and WC, I also recommend everyone to buy Relief Terrain Pack and get RTP3 from Tom, RTP will render you terrain much more realistic, instead of the simple flat default terrain shader. RTP3 also works with massive terrain and WorldComposer (also TerrainComposer is needed for this). I'm helping a little with the RTP3 island demo, and I can say its just amazing terrain and water rendering, Tom has taken it far behond what I ever thought could be possible, and the demo will simply put one out of his chair....Tom is a genius! His underwater rendering is the best underwater ever...Difficult to work on it sometimes as you can stare at the scene for hours...lol...

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/197628-The-Hermit-s-Code-(An-adventure-based-on-the-RTP3-Demoscene)

Last edited: Sep 24, 2013
  35. Jum

Jum

how can i change the thread count in WorldComposer. I have dual xeon 5645(12 physical cores,24 threads) but i cant change the threads count in image export menu. BTW its really great plugin.:)

36. eagle555

eagle555

You got some specs here :). The image threads can be maximum 8 is WorldComposer, so 8 server calls at the same time, it wouldn't get any faster if there would be more.

37. BigB

BigB

38. eagle555

eagle555

Hello,

Yes with TerrainComposer you can make such different texturing like forests, deserts, mountains, crop fields, etc.As for the 6 corner tiles you see, that you could do with a colormap if you use RTP3 for the terrain rendering.

Best Regards,
    Nathaniel

39. BigB

BigB

What do you mean by the 6 corner tiles ? You mean to render a hexagon tilemap on top of the terrain ?

40. eagle555

eagle555

Yes I mean hexagon tilemap.

41. theSoenke

theSoenke

When will you publish WorldComposer in the Asset Store?

42. eagle555

eagle555

As soon as I finished the demo for WorldComposer with UnityFS and RTP3 I'm working on, that may take 1-2 weeks.

43. SmellyDogs

SmellyDogs

How is licensing with WorldComposer going to work?

44. eagle555

eagle555

As for licensing. The satellite images are free only for non-commercial. For commercial you would need to contact the images copyright holder company, the company varies from area to area.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2013
  45. SmellyDogs

SmellyDogs

Which company is providing this data?

46. kdagsjm

kdagsjm

How can I set the variation in the size tree size when I generate tree cover in TC? I'm using foliage created using the unity tree creator. When I paint them with the unity terrain tree painter, tool they are all similarly sized but when I generate them form TC there is a large variation in size - which is ok for trees but is too much for shrubs and grass. I'm hoping its some property somewhere that I missed.

47. eagle555

eagle555

Yes you can create variated tree scales. You have the total tree scale in a layer, but you can also unfold every tree and set the scale range for each tree. You can also set the distances between trees and colors for the trees. You can even let the scale be choosen with a filter so depending on rules, and the colors with a subfilter.

$tree_scale.jpg

48. kdagsjm

kdagsjm

Much thanks eagle555 that worked like a charm!

49. shwa

shwa

Are there brush tools in world composer that allow for large or small changes to be made to terrains?

If not, can one use unity terrain brushes while in world composer?

tx,

50. kdagsjm

kdagsjm

Hey shwa,
    I'm still learning this tool but this is what I've experienced -
    World composer generates onto/into the standard unity - once its generated you can go with the standard unity brushes and modify it. However if you generate again on the same property - those edits will be lost.
    eg - populate the terrain with trees using TC - then edit remove a few trees and add a few elsewhere - this is all good
    but if you generate on trees again - u loose those edits.
    So once you get something you like with TC then you go in and edit with the standard terrain brushes and don't generate on that property- that's how I've been doing it - and it works well for me so far.