Search Unity

SphereCasting... Explain to me please

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by Subliminalman, Sep 16, 2012.

1. Subliminalman

Subliminalman

So I'm currently trying to make a 2d fan object that will blow the player about. I found this nifty little Casting function called SphereCasting that sounded pretty much perfect. Thing is it is only returning true on objects that have a sphere collider. This is really confusing to me seeing that the documentation says that it will return true for any collider that is not a trigger. What is going on?

Here's my testing code, if someone can explain to me what I am doing wrong that would be great!

Code (csharp):
    2. if(Physics.SphereCast(transform.position, 10, petTransform.position - transform.position, out hit))
    3. {          
    4.     Debug.Log("" + hit.collider.name);
    5. }
    Thank you in advanced

2. lordofduct

lordofduct

I just ran my own SphereCast and it picked up cubes, capsules, and spheres.

3. Subliminalman

Subliminalman

Is it pretty much the same as my code above?

4. lordofduct

lordofduct

yep.

question... is there a sphere collider on 'this'? Maybe you keep picking up that collider, because SphereCast grabs the nearest/first collider it reaches.

5. Subliminalman

Subliminalman

There is no collider on the object with the spherecast script

6. makeshiftwings

makeshiftwings

SphereCast only returns the first thing that is hit; SphereCastAll will return everything that is hit. Maybe that's what you're missing?

Also, are you using Unity 3.5 or 4? Someone else posted a bug about sphere colliders in Unity 4 today, so maybe something's wonky with them.