Search Unity

TC Partiticles - Millions of GPU particles

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by pvloon, Sep 15, 2012.

1. ZJP

ZJP

[QUOTE="p v loon]...Again, we will submit this Sunday no matter what, but it sure is troublesome...[/QUOTE]
    You're late. :D

2. pvloon

pvloon

@tobobox: A pro license will give you source code access - which will definitely be a good starting point to implement these behaviours! There isn't really an 'officical' extension system or anything. Also, initial release might need some more code clean up and comments

@unity_sg: There's an API that is more open than Shuriken's in a lot of way. Just keep in mind that you can't do anything that would require a GetParticles() / SetParticles()

@ZJP: I know, I know. You have no idea how much I hate nVidia fermi cards right now ;) Yet, some exciting news... coming this noon ;)

3. panta

panta

I'm also very interested in this. Programming simple AI like Boids with particles looks amazing. Check out IllogicTree's visualizations if you're into these kinds of things.

4. pvloon

pvloon

First updates will be focused on bug fixing and code cleaning. Let me know what you need to implement this, and I'll make sure you can do so. Also, if you get a pro version I really can help you on your way ;)

BREAKING NEWS: TC Particles has been submitted this morning to the Unity Asset Store! It's a matter of days, maybe even tomorrow, before you can use the full power of TC Particles! I will be opening a forum topic in the Assets and asset store section shorty, which means this topic will have to be closed. Thanks all for the 8 pages of motivating and helpful responses :)

Edit: Here we go http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/172251-TC-Particles-Making-special-effects-special-again !

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  5. ZJP

ZJP

:D :cool:

Puifffffff.... Thx.

6. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Free bump, people don't get a subscriber forum update if you do an edit, i'm sure many missed this :) (i did untill i browsed the asset store forum)

7. pvloon

pvloon

Good point! Thanks :)

8. pvloon

pvloon

9. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

hi,

plas......one more future required is playmaker support.

help play maker guys.

10. acriticalstrike

acriticalstrike

Does this system run on android / iphone with a decent framerate?

11. ZJP

ZJP

No. DX11 only.

12. Pangamini

Pangamini

Hello there
    I am using TC Particles now in the project, i can create very nice effects with that indeed, good job.
    I'd like to ask about two things though:

First, forces are filtered using layers, which are raped enough already by being shaded by rendering / physics / sound / whateverElse filtering and 32 is not enough to support all combinations i'd need anyway. The idea would be that one could create a forcer that's assigned to specific particle system or more (or rather in reverse?) This way an explosion could for example have its own turbulence without applying turbulence to nearby systems while saving the layers.

Second and more important at this time, TC Particles won't get rendered at all when i use certain image effects on the camera, like SSAO or Geometry Edge Detection... theoretically i could sure waste one more layer and render TCParticles with a separate camera with a higher depth, the problem is that i use deferred rendering for the scene and deferred cameras don't like additive rendering (And if i create TC camera that uses forward and rendered after the main, unity even crashes). It's also impractical to duplicate every camera i have. Any idea why TC is not rendered properly with these postProcesses?

Thanks for the reply

13. pvloon

pvloon

Hey Pangami! Thanks :)

I feel the same way about layers, yet I did want to integrate with them as it's just the 'unite native way'. However, I understand the problem! As an alternative to layers you can click the little plus next to the layer dropdown to explicatly specify a force to be linked to the system, regardless of layers, max forces, etc.

Hmm, I have heard of that problem before. It has to with some optimization unite is doing, and seems to clear away my stuff. As a hotfix, do this:

Comment away line 87 of Image effects/SSAOEffect.cs ([ImageEffectOpaque])
    Comment away line 60 of images effects/EdgeDetectEffectNormals.js (@ImageEffectOpaque)

This optimizations as far as I understand only helps very old cards anyway. I'll investigate why this breaks TC Particles though, it obviously shnouldn't!

Also, this topic is old ;) Use the one in the assets store forum: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/172251-TC-Particles-Making-special-effects-special-again Thanks!