Unity Community

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

1. Posts

TC Partiticles - Millions of GPU particles

Last edited by p v loon; 03-06-2013 at 11:04 PM.

2. Location
    New Hampshire

Want an easy way to boot Linux from a USB drives on Mac? Like, you don't need to install or change a thing easy? I thought so. Try Mac Linux USB Loader!
    (And the forum thread)

US President Obama wants to hand over the Internet to a multinational body. Sign the petition to keep the web free!

3. Location
    USA
    Nice. Someone had to come up with this sooner or later.
    - ImaginaryHuman -

NEW Mouse Path Animator - Mouse movement recording/playback - only $15!
    NEW Animated Dissolves for Shader Forge - Starting at $10!
    NEW Refract2D - Realtime refractions, reflections, image-based lighting, image distortions - ON SALE $25!
    Also Gradient Shader Pack - Realtime-generated animatable gradients - $20.
    Also Shader Wizard - CG Shader Generator including photoshop-style multi-texturing - $20.
    Also Texture Helper - procedural texture/pixmap-handling scripts - $10.

4. Posts
    Wow, thanks! Awesome

I've decided to screw webplayer for now, and just add a demo. You can download it in the link in the OP (or, here)

I'd love to hear how performance is for you!

5. Location
    Belgium
    Running on an AMD 6950 here. Performance is excellent with no framedrops or stutters at all. Amazing work! The third scene made me dizzy, though, haha!

6. Posts
    Well, an AMD 6950, no shit Nice gfx card! That could handle even way more than this I this I think (meaning, more dizziness!)

7. Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Only one of the scenes seems to be working for me (the second one). That scene runs perfectly on a Nvidia Geforce GT 555m with 3 GB graphics. The other two scenes however, just come up with a blank screen. None of these scenes work with an Intel HD GPU (but that is to be expected).
    A programmer is someone who is so irritated by small inconveniences that they will spend weeks writing a script, so they can spend days debugging same script, so they can save five minutes of their time, which they will waste reading slashdot.

8. Posts
    Awww, darn. Will investigate this, thank you for testing. Good to see some notebook cards on this as well. Funny that the second scene works, that's actually the most complex scene in terms of what needs to be done on the shader haha.

A 'blank' screen, is that completely white? Or completely black?

9. Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Does not work very well here at all : /
    GeForce GTX 460

Scene1
    Name:  scene1.png
Views: 6496
Size:  18.3 KB

Scene2
    Name:  scene2.png
Views: 6518
Size:  85.7 KB

Scene3
    Just black
    Current game: Age of Settlement

10. Posts
    I see, it seems that the random numbers aren't transfered properly. Hmmm, Thanks this really helps!

One last question, do particles still react to forces in the first scene? (just left click, see if they move)

Thanks!
    Last edited by p v loon; 09-16-2012 at 05:02 AM.

11. Location
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    Yes, they do : )
    Current game: Age of Settlement

12. Posts
    Awesome, then I just need to fix the random numbers generator. (although collisions seem a bit off to?)
    It seems only -1 and 1 get picked, nothing in between on nVidia cards. Weird, the random numbers are just streamed from the CPU.

13. Location
    USA
    You don't necessarily need DX11 to do something like this btw .... it makes it easier because it gives you geometry shaders or whatever but there were already several `million particle systems` out there using pretty standard Shader Model 3 type stuff.
    - ImaginaryHuman -

NEW Mouse Path Animator - Mouse movement recording/playback - only $15!
    NEW Animated Dissolves for Shader Forge - Starting at $10!
    NEW Refract2D - Realtime refractions, reflections, image-based lighting, image distortions - ON SALE $25!
    Also Gradient Shader Pack - Realtime-generated animatable gradients - $20.
    Also Shader Wizard - CG Shader Generator including photoshop-style multi-texturing - $20.
    Also Texture Helper - procedural texture/pixmap-handling scripts - $10.

14. Posts
    Geometry shaders are also in DX10 actually. But I don't even use those, that's not the problem. DX11 introduces Compute Shaders. Compute shaders offer enough flexibility to actually create a good particle system. If you have a fixed amount of particles reacting to some fixed force, you could use a somehwat lower tech approach.

However, I will need to investigate in this area. It's not that much reliant on compute shaders. The main problem would be to update an arbitrary amount of particles.

A video please. I have a...DX10 Graphic card.
    Last edited by ZJP; 09-16-2012 at 12:57 PM.

16. Posts
    Ah sure! But I want to have a bit more final demo though, This doesn't really do much yet.

Also, I've made a minor fix. This might solve the nVidia problem. I know for a fact it was wrong but ATI cards seem to just ignore that. If someone could test that would be awesome!

17. Posts
    +1 on a video. Or maybe a mac demo. I was able to open the file on mac with Wine, couldn't see any particles :/

Cheers
    "Go outside, the graphics are amazing!"

Check out these FX packs on the Asset Store!
    Fire Pack
    Explosion Pack
    Water Pack
    Weather Pack
    Northern Lights

Any reviews/ratings would be appreciated. It help me out a lot!

18. Location
    Canberra, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by p v loon View Post
    Awww, darn. Will investigate this, thank you for testing. Good to see some notebook cards on this as well. Funny that the second scene works, that's actually the most complex scene in terms of what needs to be done on the shader haha.

A 'blank' screen, is that completely white? Or completely black?
    It is completely black.
    A programmer is someone who is so irritated by small inconveniences that they will spend weeks writing a script, so they can spend days debugging same script, so they can save five minutes of their time, which they will waste reading slashdot.

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast