Search Unity

A promotinal adventure flash -game, Finnish only

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by mtoivo, Sep 14, 2012.

1. mtoivo

mtoivo

Hi yall.

May I present you our first Unity -project. It's a game used for launch of a huge parking hall mined under Tampere -city, Finland. It's a tad heavy on textual content, but you should be able complete the game by just clicing your way forward. You're playing a character that is supposedly in charge of the whole parking hall. We've just finished the Flash -version, but the game will be in Appstore too, after I've fixed few GUI-elements in place.

http://mestareidenluola.fi/peli/

We are a team of two guys. I've done the programming part, and another guy is responsilbe of modeling, animating and composing of the music. Idea and script of the game came from a marketing agency. The project started in he spring of this year, in practice we have been working from the start of July. So the project took for like two and a half months to get into this point. I guess it goes without saying, that if we only had started a month eralier, the outcome might be more finished... The modeling of the city above and below the ground has been going for some time now, so we had some elements ready.

Tools used:
    - Sculptris for sculpting of the models
    - Blender for modeling + animating
    - LuxRender for background renderings
    - Unity 3.5.5 pro, code in UnityScript
    - Flash for creating few gui-elements
    - Flash Builder for stitching everything together

Challenges:
    - XML parsing had to be done separately for flash- and iOS-versions. I used a static wrapper class, that used "UnityScript Lightweight XML Parser" (by Fraser McCormick) on iOS and Flash's built-in XML-class in flash.
    - A week ago we found out that, we couldn't use Unity's GUIText in flash: extended latin characters wouldn't show on Windows, no matter what you did. Unity's unicode support ftw... Then I just duplicated the text fields in Flash, and used a separate overlay swf for displaying the texts on the flash-version. A lot quicker way to place the elements imho, but of course won't work in iOS....
    - The bit complicated route that had to be used to get flash and unity talk together. All these flashproxy's and what not, but hey, it works now.

We've done some testing and got few comments on the game, but I'd very much like to hear also your opinions, too.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012