Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Version control system Merge Help

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by parandham03, Sep 13, 2012.

1. parandham03

parandham03

hi,i want to merge scenes which are modified by two persons using tortoiseSVN.Is it possible in tortoise merge or is there any external merge tool for this work.I need help.

Please help.

Thanks.

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

Unless you are on Unity pro and set the serialization to 'force text' there is absolutely nothing you can do.
    And even if you have force text its still a major pain to merge it at times.

Unity scenes and prefabs are simply put 'unmergable' (or close to it) so the best way to avoid problems is not have 2 persons work on the same scenes and prefabs at the same time

3. parandham03

parandham03

thanks dreamora.

i have some doubt.

1.shall i ignore library files completely.Is there any files in library are not to be ignore?

2.If i use external version control in unity3d free version, what problems are there?

4. parandham03

parandham03

5. Dreamora

Dreamora

1. No, since 3.5 there is no file to not be ignored
    2. You can't enable text serialization, only meta. That means you can version it but any concurrent modification of prefabs, scenes will render the changes of all but ones user useless and they need to be reverted (that can even be the case with pro and text serialization due to unity storing 'dumps' of prefabs in scenes, not just a reference to the prefab)

6. SteenLund

SteenLund

Unity Technologies

1: Yes go ahead and ignore all files in the Library folder. Add them to subversions ignore filter.
    2: As dreamora said, Unity3d free version does not support text serialization so no merging.

7. parandham03

parandham03

its ok but why they said like this......