Search Unity

psi.kart released on iOS app store

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by techmage, Sep 13, 2012.

1. techmage

techmage

So after what seemed like forever of trying to fit in development time between my day job and life, I have finally finished my game.

It is now available for free here:
    http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/psi.kart/id559698487?ls=1&mt=8

Excerpt from the store:
    It's a pretty simple game, made to be as minimalist as possible. I originally made it because it seemed like there were no racing games on the iPad that seemed to satisfy my love of sleek, futurtistic, techy race games, backed by electronic music.

Everything in it is done entirely by me, design, programming, art, sound and music.

Gameplay Video! Its uploaded in HD, if you go to youtube you can watch it in HD.
    Please note: the jerkiness of this video comes from FRAPS, the game runs at a solid 60fps in game with 4x AA.
    Does anyone know of a better way to record game video?

Thank you all who post on this forum and helped me out when I asked questions.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  2. p6r

p6r

I like the design... very nice !!!

6R

3. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

Do you have gameplay video?

4. techmage

techmage

Hm, I should probably do that shouldn't I.

*edit*

and done...
    http://youtu.be/BVXi6d8_XGo

Last edited: Sep 14, 2012
  5. techmage

techmage

So I've sent off promo codes to all the news sites I could find and still have a good amount left, so I figure I'll give out three here as thanks to the unity community.

YAN9L9MFJ44N
    M6X6NTHEPNMH
    NPHW6HN4F3KR

Keep in mind this game ONLY works on iPad 2 and iPad 3 so please don't take a code unless you have one such device.

Post which code you take.

and please post back some comments here after you play it.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2012
  6. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Used the first - second one was taken. Will check it out!

7. derkoi

derkoi

Reminds me very much of the Zone mode of Wipeout HD, love that style. :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qjo0ey5RBg

8. techmage

techmage

So due to this game not ever selling very well, largely due to me not knowing how to market it, and probably because the game needs to just be better, I have made it free. It only sold like 60 copies. So please give it a play and tell me what you think.

I'm sort of hoping this will get it semi-popular in the app store, with a good amount of reviews, so maybe in a year I can update it to psi.kart v2.0 with gameplay refinements and more levels and content, and then put a price on it, and then maybe it might get more purchases. Has anyone tried doing something like that before?

9. 4shm3x

4shm3x

Having it work on on more than just ipad 2 and 3 would have most likely boosted your sales. Alot of people are still using iphone 4.

10. silkroadgame

silkroadgame

simple but good designed game.

11. techmage

techmage

Is that really true?

I remember some flurry statistics saying how the majority of game revenue actually goes to iPads...

Fortunately this game couldn't run on anything less than the iPad 2 CPU because I used wheel colliders. Which are kind of heavy. It only has 2 other AI vehicles because putting more than that would hurt frame rate.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2013
  12. 4shm3x

4shm3x

I work at a games studio who has done a lot of ios games. Looked at the market and a lot of users are still running with iphone 4.
    Maximise your potential audience.

13. miksumortti

miksumortti

Hmm, for me they aren't so much of an problem. I have player car and 5 AI cars with wheelcolliders, also using Unity terrain, and it runs on much slower devices than iPad 2 about 45-60fps.

14. techmage

techmage

jeebus, it got 300 downloads in only 2 days...

15. rextr09

rextr09

I really like the graphics and the car pysics. The game has great potential. You should just market it better. I think there two main problems: your app name and the icon. Besides them, you can optimize the game so that it runs on iPhone's. Finally you should also try $0.99 price tag. Add some cars to buy with in-game currency and/or IAP. Good luck!

16. CodeAssembler

CodeAssembler

This is a really cool game! Man you are talented for sure doing it all by yourself! Sorry if this has been asked before I'm a bit short on time around, but what ambient occlusion shader or algorithm you applied to this? Cause it looks really nice and seems to be fast too.

17. techmage

techmage

It's just straight ambient occlusion baked down and applied through the Mobile Unlit shader.

You could replicate the same thing with Unity Free Beast, although I find it better to bake ambient occlusion like this in an external program so you can turn the samples way up to make it really smooth. The beast settings limit the ambient occlusion and it comes out kind of grainy.

18. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

The game looks really great! why it doesn't have more downloads? as someone said, try to change the name.....right now , it's impossible to find with search....try renaming it to something more generic like "_some name_ Racing" , also you can do an android port for it.....I've seen a lot of great apps that have minimum downloads on iTunes but more than 500.000 downloads on Google play....android store has become massively larger in the past 6 months, and usually each iTunes download equals 10 downloads on Google play.