Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Just want to Thank you Unity.

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by ElectricCrow, Sep 10, 2012.

1. ElectricCrow

ElectricCrow

I'm honestly completely blown away. As someone who has dreamed of creating video games since I was a pre-teen walking around with my graph paper creating pixel graphics and grand ideas, I sadly never took to it as a career goal. was a born salesman and entrepreneur. I've been self employed over 10 years in entertainment and sports.

I've recently picked up a copy of Unity Game Development Essentials and am half way through the island building and while learning to use Unity I have been going through the Unity Asset store while reading through topics on the forum. I just read the Union section where Unity helps distribute finished Unity games to mass market and at only an 80/20 split, that's wildly impressive.

I just wanted to say, Thank you Unity. Because of your amazing Engine, ease of learning curve and vast power of the system, not to mention the collaborative efforts and support of such a great community, I may just achieve my life long dream of creating games. If all goes well over the next year or two, I may even establish my own Game Dev Studio and I will have Unity to thank.

Sincerely,
    EC

2. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Welcome aboard!

3. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

This engine finally got me into programming . The normal Hello Word crap was just too boring .

A big shout out to the scripting section , even if you ask questions that will get you banned on stack overflow( noob stuff) , plenty of people will help you out .

4. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Glad you like it. I had a similar feeling of awe when it "clicked". I have to correct you about union though, the chances for most people getting on it are slim to none, and it's designed for the exact OPPOSITE of the mass market, its designed for devices you can't normally have access to without a dedicated publisher like smart TV's maybe consoles, that sort of thing, with union being the publisher. Understandably, the quality bar will be high for it too.

However, it is easy to distribute and sell your app, let us know when the time comes if you need advice - the forum is very helpful usually.

5. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Cool. I started out with the Game development essentials book too.. it was really helpful as a way to learn how unity works.

6. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Awesome sauce!! I have the feeling we'll be seeing great games from you in a near future!

7. SevenBits

SevenBits

Welcome to the most elite club of nerds of the world.

8. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Just wanted to jump in and say hope you enjoy the book and welcome to the world of Unity! any help required- just holler.

9. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

This is just great! Seriously though, you won't find a better online community, you won't find another engine with this much documentation and collaboration online.

10. Meltdown

Meltdown

Hey Crow,

Welcome, a few years ago I was saying the exact same things!

11. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

I see what you did there... :p

12. Meltdown

Meltdown

What did I do??

13. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

Heh, you made it sound as though thinking Unity was awesome is something that you grow out of after a few years. :p

14. Meltdown

Meltdown

Not at all. I was saying I was in the OP's shoes a few years ago, realising with Unity my game development project dreams were now possible.
    Unity will always be awesome and close to my heart.

15. flaminghairball

flaminghairball

Yep, Unity is a pretty awesome thing.

16. gregzo

gregzo

Unity is great.
    Unity + NGUI is amazing.

I don't work for ArenMook, I just had another "click -> wow" moment when learning NGUI last june...