Search Unity

MonoDevelop bug or scripting error?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by creed24, Sep 5, 2012.

1. creed24

creed24

My situation:
    I'm working on a simple CharacterController script that moves the character around and allows jumping. All was well until I added a gun child object and allowed firing a projectile via the Instantiate and AddForce method.

My problem :
    Sometimes my scripts work just fine. Other times, my character gets stuck in mid-air for a second or my projectile passes through my (rather thick) wall. (even with Continuous Dynamic set)

My questions:

1.)
    *Could* this be MonoDevelop's fault?

2.)
    Are there any stability or performance reasons to stop using MonoDevelop/UnityScript and use something else?

3.)
    If so, what should I program my game with? (I know C# well.)

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

MonoDevelop does not compile anything (Unity does), so no it's not MonoDevelop's fault.

--Eric

3. RazorCut

RazorCut

Eric is right.

But just for the heck of it, I'll answer your questions 2 and 3 out of context just to rant: MonoDevelop is a total piece of S*** and I recommend doing anything in your power to find and use something else because anything else is better. If you need to use the debugger you are out of luck, though and have to use MonoSuck.

4. creed24

creed24

Why is MonoDevelop bad? What problems will I run into?

The only debugging I do is pressing the play/pause button in the Unity Editor. Do I need to use MD for that?

5. RazorCut

RazorCut

Crash, crash, freeze, takes 5 minutes or more to refactor stuff, has to constantly reload the project because Unity has to regen the project files all the time, search takes forever, autocomplete refuses to work most of the time and it never works on the last line of a new function until you save the file, and I could go on.