Search Unity

Traffic Racer is coming for iOS

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by rextr09, Aug 31, 2012.

1. rextr09

rextr09

Hi, I'm working on an arcade endless racer game named Traffic Racer. This is going to be my first game. It's currently in beta and still there are lots of things to do. I thought it's time to share current state and later rest of the progress. Here are some screens for now. I will be glad to hear your feedback and answer your questions.

http://www.trafficracergame.com/
    http://www.facebook.com/trafficracergame

Last edited: Aug 31, 2012
  2. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Looking good! What does a player have to do to increment the score?

3. rextr09

rextr09

Thanks.. Gameplay is similar to "Lane Splitter" and "Speed Car". You need to drive as fast as you can without crashing. Also the closer you pass a traffic car the more points you get.
    I'm going to post a video as soon as possible to show some gameplay.

4. rextr09

rextr09

I have updated the app icon.

5. rextr09

rextr09

Here is the first official video. Please share your comments. good or bad :)

6. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

:D

Looking good! Definitely on my to buy list!

7. rextr09

rextr09

Thanks bawss... I had started to think something is really wrong with the game, since no one had commented except James :)

8. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

I got a question for you, how do you do your shadow? It looks very sharp like its stencil shadow, but I am guessing that would be too taxing on the iPhone. Is that projection shadow?

9. rextr09

rextr09

It's just a mesh with a semi-transparent material on it. So it's fake :)

10. LeakySink

LeakySink

Hi there,

The game looks cool, actually getting something to a released state is the hardest part of games development.

That being said, man you need to change that icon, take a look at the top 50 selling apps and rethink the composition/colour and message of your icon, it's your 0.25 second opportunity to sell your game.

11. Sean Hall

Sean Hall

Great Game, any plans for andriod?

12. rextr09

rextr09

100% agree, the hardest and the most boring part is finishing and polishing. As for the icon, when I look at the racing game icons they are mostly similar: A single car rendered from an angle. I tried to make something different and took me 1.5 day to composite it :( Any suggestion to make it better?

Thanks... No, not for android yet, since we cannot sell apps in Android Market from Turkey yet.

13. rextr09

rextr09

@LeakySink, here is the updated icon. Is it any better?

14. LeakySink

LeakySink

That's definitely an improvement, I would look at the icons neon play produce, they're usually spot on:

http://a5.mzstatic.com/us/r1000/113...-8540-e03a-bf3b-89c613294c7b/mzl.nzgvlzvm.png

This example, how exciting does that look? It tells me there will be explosions, crashes, and big red buses. On top of that the colours are bright and warm (the emotions they're trying to associate with their products).

Functionally your icon says to me "overtake big trucks" and if that's the message then cool but the colours are dark, grey, serious. My other advice is if possible have your core element "jump out" of the frame to draw attention to it's importance.

15. rextr09

rextr09

@LeakySing, thanks for the info. I think I like it to be serious, since the game contains nothing fancy and childish. But, it's not a driving simulator either. So I think it's just between them :). Anyway, long story short = I hate making icons :)

16. LeakySink

LeakySink

Icons are tough, and if serious is your thing then cool but what I'm saying is that the dark colours don't really stand out. Zoom out on the icon so it'll be the same size as it would be on the appstore and see if you can make out what it is.

17. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Looks well polished and well thought out. It lacks a slight theme or tune shift for the general presentation and GUI which can have a wow impact on customers - take a look at burnout or need for speed as inspiration.

The first thing I looked for was how wooden the car would feel moving left and right - but I was very surprised - it looks good.

Some problems:

1. the video doesn't show the most exciting part - crashing. Perhaps when you crash you can enable rigid bodies, give them sensible impulses and let them go in slow motion with nice effect!

2. gui could use a bit of spit, it seems to be developed with a different style to whats visible in game.

Other than this I like it but you need to play some burnout classic, it's got both the get near cars for points (and earn turbo boosts) but it also has crash mode which is just like this but you attempt to make the biggest pile up. It also has chase HQ mode which lets you be a police car.

If I had to sum up what I thought was wrong with this game, it's the general feeling the author was too sensible with a wild and irresponsibly fun subject matter. This mostly reflects in the GUI.

All potentials for updates and you have an awesome base to push this to the next level with a sequel too!

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  18. rextr09

rextr09

Thanks for the comments... yes the video lacks the crashes since the game doesn't have any fancy crashes right now :(. But it still feels ok, trust me :) . I thought physical crashes was not possbile with my current knowledge. (remember this my first game) and the power of iDevices. But in the next version, I will consider all this including police chase.

Btw, I really don't understand anything from the sentence, sorry for my english. -> "If I had to sum up what I thought was wrong with this game, it's the general feeling the author was too sensible with a wild and irresponsibly fun subject matter. This mostly reflects in the GUI." . I will appreciate if you rephrase it :). Thanks again...

19. Testmobile

Testmobile

He is saying that the main focus of your game is driving like a moron.
    The person who told you those things is clearly against violent content in video games.
    Frankly i think there´s nothing wrong with it, could have more explosions but it´s very cool for a first game.

20. rextr09

rextr09

Hi all, I have just submitted it to the App Store. I hope there will be no surprises during the review...

... and this this is the latest screen for the game.

21. napster

napster

Good game rextr, did u publish any games before ?

22. Rob-Mills-Audio

Rob-Mills-Audio

What a kickass first game!

23. rextr09

rextr09

Thanks,
    @napster, no I didn't publish before. This is the first one and I was learning Unity during development :). The development took about 8 months (mostly weekends)

24. rextr09

rextr09