Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Learn - official website section on its way

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by willgoldstone, Aug 29, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Grieve_physics

Grieve_physics

Will,
    This is amazing! I will be starting to teach this to high school students from July, and this will be an amazing resource... Now to make the decision, to use yours as the primary source, or secondary source of info :p.

Would be great to be added to the teachers mailing list as well you have mentioned earlier as well :)

Keep up the awesome work!

2. freezingwreck

freezingwreck

How great! Im just starting I will do at least most of all the tutorials on the learning page today. When will you have intermediate level and advance level videos up?

3. Tim-Jansen

Tim-Jansen

Great new section Unity, very usefull tutorials, both for unityscript and c#, keep it up :D

4. outtoplay

outtoplay

More...more...err, more?

5. dlbuckley

dlbuckley

I've always wanted to get into Unity but never found the time, after watching the first few vid's I was hooked! I've since been through and completed them all :)

There were a few things that were slightly wrong that could cause some confusion for anyone who doesn't pay attention (a tag name for the alarm code and animation file names that are mismatched from the vid and actual downloaded assets), but for the most part it's faultless.

6. JamesB

JamesB

Unity Technologies

@Viking1972 Thanks very much for the feedback. Which videos did you feel were going to fast or were difficult to follow? We'll do our best to not repeat the mistakes in the future.

@haar and Redrum The scene has been updated on the Asset Store. Sorry about that!

7. GoldenGecko

GoldenGecko

Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am trying to go through the GUI Essentials pdf, and I get up to #9 where it says to look in the prefabs for an FPS controller. My assets folder is empty. I am assuming that I was supposed to import some assets when I created the project, but it didn't say anything about that in the tutorial. I thought it might be in the Character Controller package, so I imported that, but it's not there. So which assets do I need to import to be able to complete #9?

8. mazerius1st

mazerius1st

First of all congratulations for your excellent learning section. As a total newbie in game development I found your tutorials as an excellent starting place. Can't wait to see what else you have for us in store. :D
    Your tutorial series based on the stealth project is very informative and well written and can't wait to see it to completion. When we should expect the rest of it?

Last edited: May 9, 2013
  9. Jadestar

Jadestar

Will these be updated with 4.0? Very nice but a bit confusing trying to figure out what is what between the different versions given the differences in the interface default layout./

10. haico1992

haico1992

When will the next update come, I really want to learn about the AI part

11. Cylon_Toast

Cylon_Toast

I'm loving the new learning right from Unity. I noticed a few minor hitches in the Stealth project, if this topic goes to another forum I am sorry please direct me so that any new user does not scratch their head for a few minutes wondering why their script is broken. In the video of GameController. In the awake function the first line of code is correct in video alarm = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag(Tags.alarm).GetComponent<AlarmLight>();
    but in the copy of the script under the video has a typo alarm = GameObject.FindGameObjectWithTag(Tags.alarmLight).GetComponent<AlarmLight>(); Other than that so far I am very much enjoying this Project.. keep it coming!

12. totora

totora

13. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

posting some more detail on mobile development it will help for us to learn more for mobile platforms.for example touch detection tutorial,dragging tutorial on mobile device is good to learn from learning section

14. ExiledScot

ExiledScot

When are the tutorials going to be updated? It almost feels like the learn site has been forgotten.

Will Goldstein you're a master at teaching and should do it more often!

15. totora

totora

All links have been fixed correctly! Thank you!!:D

16. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Release a c# book please.

17. JohnPet

JohnPet

I really hope the parkour project turorial is on its way soon, and before 2014... It's already a year late...

18. Cross_J

Cross_J

thanks for the link! this should help me big time :)

19. the_motionblur

the_motionblur

The space shooter and "roll a ball" tutorials are really good. The way the tutorials are structured is not only a good way to learn syntax and general design mechanics. The really awesome thing about them is that they show the idea of how to approach a small project and how to deal with problems that areise during production. Personally I find that this is the best possible way to learn since it teaches the principles and ideas behind how to approach problem sloving. I've learned a lot of things that always puzzled me when trying to script (like HOW do I use the script reference correctly and in a sensible way - or how the hell to I find pointes in the right direction when things simply don't work out).

The pacing is pretty perfect as well, IMO. Personally I would love to see more projects structured and presented like these two.

The "stealth" project is very interesting for an overview in piecing together a more complex level and gameplay. I don't find this to be a true "beginner" project, though. The pacing is waaaay too fast to follow. Of course videos can and should be paused to follow along. Though the stealth game videos sometimes go so fast that I even missed to pause the completed code before it zoomed out and jumped back into the project again.
    Personally I also think that for a true beginner project there's too little explanation of how and why. Maybe it would have been intersting to back off a few steps and show some design scribbles of how the code is being developed. The explanations are there but they are very brief and in the presented speed sort of difficult to follow on the first or second listen. I often found myself jumping back to listen to the explanation again and then jumping back again to hear what I might still have missed. The presentation feels like it's logical only if the viewer already has an idea of how and why things are going to be done. trying to follow large chunks of code without testing can result in only trying to keep up typing. After typing the code and seeing that it's working I found I had already forgotten half of the important things.

The Project is very interesting and I don't think the pacing is "wrong" at all. I just find that it's not that much of a beginner's tutorial in the speed it's presented but rater intermediate. Like when the viewer already knows most of the core design patterns and wants to see them expanded on a slightly larger scale and integrated in a more complex way. When it comes to scripting I consider myself still a beginner and I found the speed to be pretty frustrating at times. Simply because as a beginner I personally really want to have a solid foundation and grasp of how to approach problems and design patterns first.

I hope that didn't sound too negative because I really don't mean it that way. The project is really interesting and has loads of interesting design approaches. In fact any design approach that comes directly from the Unity team is always appreciated because I am sure that the things that are taught are correct and good design. I just feel that the project - in the way it's presented - is really rather on the intermediate side than for beginners.

20. willgoldstone

willgoldstone

Unity Technologies

Hey motionblur, you're totally correct with your observations. Stealth was our first large project, and effectively it suffered a little from feature creep / scope bloat (I may have just coined that last one!) and thus ended up with a lot of intermediate stuff in it- we're restructuring the Learn pages and will present Stealth as Intermediate in future. This is why we've been adding simpler beginner tutorials like Roll a Ball and Space Shooter to let users understand the hows and whys that you describe. We'll continue to add to these as time goes on for sure, feel free to suggest what you'd like to see as the next project.

Thanks for taking time to comment,

Will

21. tyoungjr

tyoungjr

Hello Unity3D team! I just completed the Space Shooter tutorial and I found it to be just the start I needed to work with Unity. Thank you for providing such a valuable resource for beginning students.

22. A_never_kill

A_never_kill

23. narwhal-ninja

narwhal-ninja

I noticed that the enemy prefab is not used once you finish space shooter project, are you planning on adding new videos to implement the enemies?

24. RvBGames

RvBGames

@willgoldstone - scope creep :)

25. BlackPanda

BlackPanda

The official learning tools are awesome! I'm learning in C# and the basics are explained very neatly.

26. BaronWombat

BaronWombat

FYI - Tutorial page on Roll-A-Ball/moving the camera is not loading. Other preceding and the one after load fine.

Workaround = go to Youtube and watch it there. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HocIybFeAvI

Great tutorial series, am a designer not a coder, finding the lessons to be wonderful! Thanks, keep up the good work.

27. Adam-Buckner

Adam-Buckner

The learn site is here. I'm closing this thread, but please see the "Start Here" thread pinned to this section.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.