Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Editor Script - Access the User's Snap Settings?

Discussion in 'Scripting' started by The MC, Aug 26, 2012.

1. The MC

The MC

Hey Guys,

I'm working on an Editor Scripted Tool that I want to be able to snap when you hold Ctrl, just like the standard Unity transform tools. However, I can't seem to find any documentation as to how to access the Snap Settings the User has specified. Does this functionality exist?

Any assistance is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. The MC

The MC

Anyone? I just need to know if what I'm trying to do is even possible or not...

3. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

4. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

I found more information on this old page, but the "MoveSnap" value in the EditorPrefs is not up-to-date anymore. It's always set to 1.

http://wiki.unity3d.com/index.php?title=SnapToGrid

Code (CSharp):
    1.     [MenuItem(HotkeysMenu + "/Transform/Grid Snap selection _g", false, HotkeysPriority)]
    2.     static void MenuSnapToGrid() {
    3.         foreach (Transform t in Selection.GetTransforms(SelectionMode.TopLevel | SelectionMode.OnlyUserModifiable)) {
    4.             Undo.RegisterFullObjectHierarchyUndo(t, "GridSnapSelection");
    5.             t.position = new Vector3 (
    6.                 Mathf.Round(t.position.x / EditorPrefs.GetFloat("MoveSnapX")) * EditorPrefs.GetFloat("MoveSnapX"),
    7.                 Mathf.Round(t.position.y / EditorPrefs.GetFloat("MoveSnapY")) * EditorPrefs.GetFloat("MoveSnapY"),
    8.                 Mathf.Round(t.position.z / EditorPrefs.GetFloat("MoveSnapZ")) * EditorPrefs.GetFloat("MoveSnapZ")
    9.             );
    10.         }
    11.     }

5. Baste

Baste

Searched for this a bit, and this thread came up pretty high. Had to dig deeper to find the correct result, so for future googlers; the current way to get the snap settings is much cleaner:

EditorSnapSettings

halley and FeastSC2 like this.
  6. FeastSC2

FeastSC2

@Baste Hey Baste, nice find.

In my case, It's not the EditorSnapSettings.move that determines the snap of objects with the translate gizmos.
    Instead it's the World Grid's size and I see this value is not accessible in the EditorSnapSettings.

upload_2020-11-30_12-36-43.png

I'm talking about when you move objects with this grid snap option toggled on.

upload_2020-11-30_12-37-51.png

So with these settings, objects you translate will snap every 1 unit, and not every 3 units as one might expect. What is EditorSnapSettings.move for?