Unity Community

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

1. Location
    New Hampshire

Unity 4 Linux Games!

Although I don't have the 4.0 beta, I would love to see how good Unity's Linux export is. For this reason, I will try out Unity games that have been released for Linux in this thread. Just zip it up and I'll give it a go on a spare Linux computer I've got.

If any bugs are found, I'll post them here. My distro of choice, by the way, is Linux Mint 13 Cinnamon, though I will try other distros if I can to test compatibility.

Looking forward to seeing some great projects!

EDIT: For this thread that all those OMGUbuntu people are coming from, look here:

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2012/08/2...lable-for-demo
    Last edited by SevenBits; 08-29-2012 at 12:00 PM. Reason: added link to OMGUbuntu

Want an easy way to boot Linux from a USB drives on Mac? Like, you don't need to install or change a thing easy? I thought so. Try Mac Linux USB Loader!
    (And the forum thread)

US President Obama wants to hand over the Internet to a multinational body. Sign the petition to keep the web free!

Unity Developer

I guess the first candidate is Angry Bots...

3. Posts
    Count me in as well! I'll make my Ubuntu kernel spin round n' round

4. Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Tak View Post
    I guess the first candidate is Angry Bots...
    Hey, if anybody's got a native Linux (not native client) Angry Bots build, then I guess that'll be the first game we'll try!

Quote Originally Posted by Nanity View Post
    Count me in as well! I'll make my Ubuntu kernel spin round n' round
    Great! The more the merrier. Just tell me what your distro is so I can keep track for troubleshooting reasons.

Want an easy way to boot Linux from a USB drives on Mac? Like, you don't need to install or change a thing easy? I thought so. Try Mac Linux USB Loader!
    (And the forum thread)

US President Obama wants to hand over the Internet to a multinational body. Sign the petition to keep the web free!

5. Location
    New Hampshire
    Bump. Is anyone interested?

(And the forum thread)

6. Location
    Hessen, Germany
    And the first candidate is AngryBots.
    Can't test it myself , so hopefully it works
    AngryBots.zip(EDIT: Sorry, too much traffic on my dropbox, an article on a linux website naively links to a dropbox, really? check some mirrors by other users on page 2 )
    Last edited by vwekker; 08-29-2012 at 02:20 AM.

7. Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by vwekker View Post
    AngryBots.zip
    Great! I'll give it a try.

(And the forum thread)

8. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vwekker View Post
    AngryBots.zip
    Ubuntu Version 12.04 (precise) (32-Bit)
    Kernel Linux 3.2.0-29-generic-pae
    GNOME 3.4.2

Unzipped, double click, runs with AAA graphics

Controls: The character keeps walking to the top left corner without any input as if the "W" and "A" buttons were pressed constantly. Could be partically compensated by pressing in the opposing direction, so I was able to continue through the scene.

Touchscreen: Working without any bugs (didn't expect that, really)

Fullscreen: No maximize option on the window frame as usual, only close and minimize.

Unity user interface (not the game): No icon in the left navigation bar, looks a bit boring with the default questionmark...

Sidenotes: compiz crashed once, not sure if this was caused by AngryBots. Required 40% of my CPU and 104 MiB of my 3,9 GiB RAM. Guess this is ok.

All in all a very good result for a 4.0 beta. Considering the incorrect move axis input it was a decent gaming experience but great success concerning linux support
    Last edited by Nanity; 08-26-2012 at 12:28 PM. Reason: typo

9. Location
    New Hampshire
    @Nanity: Okay, I'm to try it and see if I get similar results in Linux Mint. It's based on Ubuntu, but they do things differently, so who really knows?

(And the forum thread)

10. Posts
    @SevenBitsNinja: I use a very uncommon hardware combination, so there's a realistic chance you get a proper input. If Mint isn't using the unity interface (I feared the day I have to specify engine and interface each time I use it btw), you may be able to maximize as well...

11. Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Nanity View Post
    @SevenBitsNinja: I use a very uncommon hardware combination, so there's a realistic chance you get a proper input. If Mint isn't using the unity interface (I feared the day I have to specify engine and interface each time I use it btw), you may be able to maximize as well...
    SevenBitsNinja!? I never knew that I was a ninja... I thought my mad karate skills were a result of my being bitten by a radioactive Kung-fu master. My life is forever altered now...

Okay, more seriously, I use the standard Linux Mint distribution. Although I do have a customized Linux distro (my own for in-house use), it is not suitable for gaming and so therefore I will expect good performance. Will play and post ASAP.

As for specifying desktop, etc, I prefer to say "I use Linux Mint" instead of "I use GNU/Linux with the MATE desktop, GTK+ widget toolkit, X11 windowing system, GRUB 2, etc." Saying the operating system you use usually gives people a good impression of your default software.

(And the forum thread)

12. Volunteer Moderator
    One thing I do with new Unity versions is load in an old Asteroids clone I made as a test, to see what breaks (if anything). With Unity 4 I had to change a bunch of GameObject.active stuff, otherwise it seemed to upgrade without issues. So here's a Linux build.

--Eric
    SpriteTile: new tile system that works seamlessly with Unity 4.3 sprites
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes

13. Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
    One thing I do with new Unity versions is load in an old Asteroids clone I made as a test, to see what breaks (if anything). With Unity 4 I had to change a bunch of GameObject.active stuff, otherwise it seemed to upgrade without issues. So here's a Linux build.

--Eric
    Okay, so on the queue is AngryBots and then Unitroids. I'll get right to it!

(And the forum thread)

14. Location
    New Hampshire

Talking Awesome Linux Port, Unity!!

Okay, here are the results. First, AngryBots:

No issues whatsoever. In fact, the game looked better than on Windows. The sound was vivider, and the colors brighter and more intense. There were no performance issues, the application window was open in less than a second, game instants later. Control was 100% mine; no issues like "pressed keys" or anything. Overall a 5/5!

And for the Asteroids clone... as soon as I figured out how to actually play the game, everything worked out well. Like AngryBots, there were no performance or control issues, and startup time was nearly instant. Overall a 5/5!

However, there were issues with the integration. None of the applications had icons in Linux Mint; just the default executable icon. There were also no window icons in the taskbar. Also, no quality or control customization screen (although, I don't know if that was left out by settings in the Project Dialog). Overall, desktop integration is 2/5...

A very good start so far, however. Let's see Unity reach to yet another platform!

Also, UT - please consider putting those games in the repositories so that normal Linux users can download the software in a traditional Linux way.

(And the forum thread)

15. Volunteer Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenBits View Post
    However, there were issues with the integration. None of the applications had icons in Linux Mint; just the default executable icon. There were also no window icons in the taskbar. Also, no quality or control customization screen (although, I don't know if that was left out by settings in the Project Dialog). Overall, desktop integration is 2/5...
    I had indeed neglected to add the icon in the player settings. So I did that, and re-uploaded; you might want to see if that changes anything. The display resolution dialog, however, was enabled, so I assume that's not implemented in Linux yet.

--Eric
    SpriteTile: new tile system that works seamlessly with Unity 4.3 sprites
    FlyingText3D: dynamic 3D text with TTF fonts | Vectrosity: fast & easy line drawing
    Nifty utilities! Stitch terrains together - runtime model importing - file browser - fractal landscapes

16. Posts
    Uhh forgot about the control customization, wasn't present for me either. Were you able to maximize / fullscreen btw?

Also, UT - please consider putting those games in the repositories so that normal Linux users can download the software in a traditional Linux way.
    +1 Otherwise we have an abnormal high security leak in linux scales

17. Location
    New Hampshire
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric5h5 View Post
    I had indeed neglected to add the icon in the player settings. So I did that, and re-uploaded; you might want to see if that changes anything. The display resolution dialog, however, was enabled, so I assume that's not implemented in Linux yet.

--Eric
    Alright, I'll try it again.

(And the forum thread)

18. Posts
    Linux Mint 13 Maya
    Angry Bots
    output_log.txt
    Last edited by imgxx; 08-28-2012 at 06:17 AM.

19. Posts
    No joy with Fedora 17. I get the following error trying to execute either game:

error while loading shared libraries: libGLU.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

20. Location
    Russia
    Ubuntu 12.04
    Unitroids

Unity (desktop environment) is responding when pressing a keys (alt key for example) while game window is active

Edit: when the game is over I can't confirm my name (can only type it)

Edit2: can somebody reupload Angry Bots to mediafire or somewhere else (dropbox is temporarily disabled)
    Last edited by Ofen; 08-28-2012 at 10:03 AM.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast