Search Unity

UniRPG Tile Ed

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Sorry, at this point the Tile Ed. can't do that and there are no near future plans to add it.

2. Fractalbase

Fractalbase

Hi, I'm researching assets to use in making a game. Forgive me if I'm asking questions that have been asked before, 18 pages is a lot to read through.

I have a few questions about UniRPG:

Can maps be painted programmatically? Can sets of tiles be made into prefabs? (e.g., I want to create individual rooms and create random maps from these creations).

Is it possible to represent multi-level grids in the same scene? Is it possible to have a room span more than one grid-level?

If the answer is to any of these is that there is no native support, then I'll ask is the source code included with the purchase?

thanks,
    Chris

3. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I'd suggest reading the documentation and watching some of the videos, linked on the 1st post, to get a better idea of the tool before you decide.

Yes, the Map class has all the needed functions to do this on the runtime side.

Yes. Tile Ed require that you place a TilePiece component onto anything that must be seen as a Tile. So you simply place that onto the room prefab and now it is a tile. Keep in mind that Tile Ed expects tiles to be the same size, but I guess this won't really matter since a hallway will just be a tile with empty space to the sides, but just think about this before you decide.

Yes, and it kinda depends on a few things. Tile Ed has the notion of two kinds of maps, Terrain (which can can have any kind of height) and Dungeons which has a normal and lower level only. You can place more than one map in a scene, so I always suggest that you place a second or more maps above and below existing maps at the correct offset to add additional levels.

Yes, you get the source code which the DLLs where build from.

Again, have a look at the documentation to learn more about the limitations of the system.

4. Fractalbase

Fractalbase

Thanks for the response; I will read the documentation and watch the videos.

Are you saying the a tile has to have the same length and width, so there'd be extra space if the length and width were not the same?

thanks.

5. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I meant that you will be working in a grid with certain node/tile sizes. You could place tiles that "overlap" these spaces or are even smaller than a "tile space". If you understand that and know how it would work with your design ideas then it is fine ;)

6. Ryanrc

Ryanrc

Awesoime!

7. cynel

cynel

im getting this on Saturday ORK compatibly or not this is great for building a RPG prototype

8. FelipeTop

FelipeTop

Hello, i use the last version of Unity and i bought the UNIRPG and installed it.
    I execute "for_unity4" in "UniRPG TileEd/Documentation/for_unity4", and after i go in the menu "Game Object>>Create Other>>UniRPG TilleEd>>PrefabDB"

then, i go to Auto-Tile Sets and i click in Add New Tile.

I open "dungeon tiles" and I try drag "floor1" to floor prefabDB but an error happens: "Not valid tilepiece prefab".

Am i doing something wrong or was it another error?

Last edited: Jul 7, 2013
  9. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You need to add the TilePiece component to a model (or any GameObject) to make it into a tile
    piece that will be accepted by the PrefabDB. To add the TilePiece component you simply select the
    GameObject or Prefab in question and from the menu select Component → UniRPG → Tile Piece.

Note that the PrefabDB expect prefabs, so if you created a new tile in the scene/hierarchy you need
    to make it into a prefab saved in the project by dragging that object into the project panel under the
    folder you which to save it.

10. Sehlor

Sehlor

Is 1 tile = 1 Unit?

11. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes, the example was written such that one unit takes op one tile space. There is no example of how one unit can take op more than one tile.

12. Sehlor

Sehlor

Here is another question;

Can we programatically generate dungeons? for example i have a data something like that:

Can i submit thoose and a tileset to a generator? and it gives me a 6x24 tile room?

13. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

No. you can't give it 0,0,0,1,1,etc and get a dungeon.

There is a runtime API in the Map class which allows you to create a map similar to how the editor side works.

Code (csharp):
    2. public static Map CreateNewMap(string name, UniRPG.MapKind kind, int w, int l, float tileSize, float tileHeight, PrefabDB db)
    4. public void PlaceTile(int x, int y, int floorLevel, int setIdx, int tileIdx, bool replaceExisting = true, TilePiece.Direction faceDirection = TilePiece.Direction.Up, int brushSize = 1, bool fromAutoTiles = false, TilePiece.Kind pieceType = TilePiece.Kind.None)
    6. public void PlaceAutoTile(int x, int y, int floorLevel, int setIdx, int tileIdx, int brushSize = 1, bool replaceCurrTile = false, bool floorRandomRot = false, bool floorRandomTile = false)
    8. public void RemoveAutoTile(int x, int y, int brushSize=1, int selectedSet=-1)
    10. etc

14. Gunhi

Gunhi

I'm going to buy this. Just a quick question is:

How does this work on mobile platforms?

15. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Tile Ed is just a tile painter. How well the maps work on a mobile device depends on the detail maps you create and the amount of tiles that are placed.
    Note that Tile Ed has no build in mesh combine or texture atlas making ability.

16. David5988

David5988

Can I do a platformer with this?

17. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

This is a tile editor. You paint tiles with it. Have a look at the videos to see how it works.

18. David5988

David5988

I mean, to level design. Does this works to a platformer?

19. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

If your world can be painted with tiles, then yes. This does not do any game related mechanics.. it simply paints tiles. Please watch the videos to see what kind of tiles can be painted before making a decision as I am not sure what you mean by platformer.

This system is used to pain horizontal terrain and dungeon-like floors (on the X and Z axis). A platformer as I understand it could be something like the 2D mario games where you see would from side, the X and Y axis would then be where you want to pain. That is why I recommend you just watch the vids I link on the 1st post cause I show everything the tool does so you can then see if that is what you want or not.

I doubt the tool can do what you want though. For 2D platformer type view I already explained above and for 3D (mario galaxy) you would want to place platforms and such and then this is not so useful for that aspect.

20. cynel

cynel

is possible to make Zelda Like Dungeons with this if combined with Playmaker

21. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Can you perhaps show me a screenshot to show me what such a dungeon looks like? An image search for "Zelda Like Dungeons" on google shows quite a few styles, from 2D to 3D.

Tile Ed handles the tile panting only. No game mechanics. Think of it like you would the Terrain painter in Unity. So yes, if you wanted some game mechanics you might need something like Playmaker.

Just for clarification; UniRPG, the main tool, can handle game mechanics. This thread is about the Tile Editor though. UniRPG, the RPG Maker, can be found here.

22. FelipeTop

FelipeTop

$Untitled.png

I had previously posted, but could not solve the problem.

Although not giving more error, (not sure why)

I'll edit in prefab DB, create a new set and then Add new tile,
    but can not later add tile prefab, I click I drag, and nothing.

Before giving an error, "Not a valid TilePiece Prefab"

But this error no longer appears des I created a new project, I already tried later add the tilepiece PrefabDB inside, but did not solve the problem.

I use Unity 4, extract the "for_unity4" correctly.

I do not know what else to do, I need a system of tiles, but I can not make it work.

The problem is: I can not add prefab tile.

I followed the manual like 10 times, and I am following all steps correctly.

button does not work on my computer, or am I doing something wrong.

the error "Not a valid TilePiece Prefab" does not appear anymore, but still can not add prefab tile.

Help me please

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  23. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Anything that must be a tile should have the TilePiece component on it. I you do not see the error then you most likely did this step correctly so there must be some other kind of problem.

I'll PM you for more info cause there is no way for me to tell what the problem is by the provided screenshots.

24. FelipeTop

FelipeTop

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9aXYiPAQxU

I'm trying to like this video, now the error "not valid tilepiece prefab" is back.

I added the "Tile Piece" (coponent / uniRPG TileEd / Tile Piece) within the PrefabDB.

But to no avail not.

Where I have to later add it?

Last edited: Jul 24, 2013
  25. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Did you receive the Private Message I've send? I need the information mentioned in the PM to be able to help.

26. FelipeTop

FelipeTop

the problem is solved, I was adding the tile piece in the wrong place.
    just to see what was missing, I was missing.

sorry and thanks for the attention.

27. gaweph

gaweph

Feature Request:

Just thought of this and wanted to post it before I forget. If your ever trying to think of features to add etc...

I would love to have Colliders added to the Map as a whole. For example, a collider across the entire floor (leaving holes where the floor is not present). And then a collider around the walls, again only where walls have been placed. This will likelly involve some maths in order to determine the tile heights (just using the tallest tile would be fine im sure for most people), Then it would be a case of creating a custom collider mesh (which would basically end up being a blocky mesh around the geometry).

Gaw.

28. Digital Shock

Digital Shock

Can this work with

Top-Down Dungeons Mobile
    ?

29. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I had a quick look at Top-Down Dungeons (not mobile, but they should be about the same) and it does not seem to lend itself well to the way Tile Ed works. The auto-tile for example will be out cause they require specific modular tile types that will all fit into the size you specify. The normal tiles might work if you use that with the prefabs provided in Prefabs_modules - but also only some of them.

Overall I think you will have a harder time finding tiles that will work well in Tile Ed. If you set your project view to "two column", so that you see the little thumbnails, then you already have that benefit from Tile Ed. Now simply hold Ctrl while dragging pieces around to have them snap on the grid. From the readme it seems like you can set your snapping to 2.5 for best result - ""The modules are based on a grid with a length of 10m (just move the objects at 10m, 5m or 2.5 m)""

[edit] I think there are also some generic grid related packages out there, I recall seeing one the other day. Maybe one of them can help with the placement/ snapping so you don't have to use Ctrl. Have not looked into these but this is what a quick AS search gave ...
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/4004
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/2719
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/4466

Last edited: Aug 9, 2013
  30. Digital Shock

Digital Shock

I really like how easy it is to build levels with your editor, and I decided for now I will use BITGEM's stuff for prototyping and will have to build my own terrain system tiles.

31. Digital Shock

Digital Shock

it won't allow me to make it a tile unless i import it to the scene first. how do i set it as tile through just project folder?

32. Digital Shock

Digital Shock

nvm. figure it out. i was trying to set the models. instead i was suppose to set the prefabs

33. jdriselvato

jdriselvato

Hey Leslie, I've been using your editor for a while now but I am now interested in using uniRPG in game so the user does exactly what we currently have the ability to do in the editor. Has there been any releases/sample code with the ability to create maps in-game? Has anyone release a plug in for it?

I do have you're old RPG map editor were you use nodes for the tiling area but that doesn't have ploppability.

Cheers mate,
    John

34. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

There is nothing I know of that shows a sample in-game editor. Btw, when looking at the editor scripts keep in mind that they are referring to a map util (script on editor side) while the same functions will also be available via the runtime map class.

35. Digital Shock

Digital Shock

36. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

"at all"? Yes, but I do not recommend it in a case where the tiles are not created such that they can be sued with the auto-tile painter part of Tile Ed. You can achieve the same effect as the normal paint tool side of Tile Ed by just doing things a bit differently in Unity and/or finding an auto-snapping/grid tool to help out. See my reply here for more details before you decide.

[edit] I see it was in reply to you before. The same stands from what I said back then about the top-down kit. The kits you are listing are more like modular pieces than tiles. So you would be better off just using Unity's snapping features. especially when these modular pieces are not created such that they fit into exactly the same area (tile size).

Last edited: Aug 18, 2013
  37. tr1stan

tr1stan

Does this support create dungeon at runtime? l'm looking for a solution to create an editor in game, for every player can construct their level.

38. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The code for placing tiles and such are all in the runtime API and the "PrefabDB" concept is used to facilitate runtime use since all tiles are in a prefab that can be used at runtime.

There is however no runtime (in-game) editor/ sample, you will have to code this yourself if you choose this package.

39. joeee19

joeee19

Hi there

I am considering that you buy this Asset.

Does this can also decide to create such as Diablo, the action RPG game?

40. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

This thread is about Tile Ed, a tile painter. It is used to paint tiles and has no game mechanics so it should not influence what kind of game you can make.

If you where referring to UnIRPG, then yes, it was made with Diablo type games in mind. Have a look at the UniRPG official site to learn more about it. There are a bunch of videos and full documentation that you can check out to see if it is the tool for you.

41. joeee19

joeee19

Thank you for answers!

I'm sorry, I was wrong.
    Yes, it was that of Unity RPG Maker.

I'll take a look at the tutorial.

42. Rattlecat

Rattlecat

I just bought it. I've looked through the documentation and there's supposed to be a zip file called for_unity4. There's a UnityPackage file with the same name. I guess it's a typo, but it doesn't fix the problem, however.

I get "Not a valid TilePiece Prefab" when I try to add a prefab to the Auto-Tile tiles.

I am using Unity 4.2f on a mac.

My friend who also bought has the same issue.

Edit:
    Found out that the I had a similar issue to the one on last page.
    Had to manually add the TilePiece component to all tiles in the Dungeon Prefab folder to test it.

I don't know where the error happened, but I think it would make sense if the pre-defined prefabs had the TilePiece component at start?

Looking forward to play with this.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  43. RobertMcPherson

RobertMcPherson

OK, this is likely to be something laughably simple, but I'm only just starting out with this stuff... I've made a quick and simple dungeon map with this just to test it out and wanting to see how it responds to controls... however I can't seem to stop it from making the player fall through the map.

I have everything setup and haven't had issues with just a prefab ground... but even with the map(and all children) set to floor, prefabs/etc set to floor... I just fall straight through. Sorry to be asking what is very likely to be a very stupid question... Tried as both a spawn point and a plop, but everything I try just falls through.

44. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The last time I tried it failed. I make the prefabs with Unity 3.5 but if you extract the Unity 4 version of the DLLs then Unity thinks the TilePiece script is gone
    and you sit with a bunch of prefabs with a message saying the script/ component is missing.

45. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

If your floor tiles don't include a collider then this will happen. In fact, don't add a collider. It is better rather add one big one under your floor area.

A collider can be added by going, menu: GameObject -> Create Other -> Cube. Then position and scale it as needed, and finally delete the Cube and Mesh Renderer component from it so that you are left with the Box Collider component only.

46. RobertMcPherson

RobertMcPherson

Hmmm, okay, guess that makes sense... Must admit I'm a little baffled as to why that wouldn't be a part of the prefabs that came with Tile Ed...

47. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

oh, those. They are just simple samples you can use to quickly test the the drawing with and to show you what he pivots look like on each type of tile. I would not expect anyone to use that 'programmer art' in anything.

48. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

49. will_jones

will_jones

Is it possible to modify this so that wall and cliff meshes overlay unity terrain? This way i can brush and paint textures?

50. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

No, the grid area that you paint on is flat and the tiles/ grid spaces can't reposition.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.