Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UniRPG Tile Ed

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Leslie-Young, Aug 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  2. gregmax17

gregmax17

This sounds very interesting, can't wait to see it... why you making me wait a whole day though!

3. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

hehe, sorry. I needed to quickly create a forum entry link which I could use in the package description before I submitted it :)
    I've updated the first post with a few vids.

4. cynel

cynel

i want to use this for my Rpg game if is possible

5. OmniverseProduct

OmniverseProduct

Just want to say I'm planning on buying this for a personal project. It seems to have all of the features I want.

6. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

UniRPG is now avialable on the asset store (see 1st post for link). I'll be adding written documentation (there is only the videos atm) as reference of how to use it and to also document the API.

7. laxika

laxika

Hy!

This loooks very nice! I have some questations before hopefully buying it. :)

Can I make bridges?
    Or caves carved to the terrain? (Like here at 4:40: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR7nax6KOuc )
    Or animated props? (Like the gate at the video above.)
    Or slopes/lifts?
    What's the max map size with still acceptable performance? (100x100, 1000x1000)
    It's possible to place props on each other? (Like creates.) Or I need to create a different mesh for it?
    If I write my own monster handling now, then can I disable the monster handling coming later in the patches? (Modularity) Or it will be buyable as an other assest?
    It's possible to make games like DS or Diablo with this extension? Or it's only tile based?

I'm pretty new to Unity, so I don't know it's limitations, so sorry if I ask for something that's not possible.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  8. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

>Can I make bridges?
    Yes, via normal tiles or expanding tiles.

> Or caves carved to the terrain? (
    Caves like in that video, no. You make either a terrain or dungeon and athey work diferently. You could have transitions point, like a cave entrance that would then load a new scene with a dungeon/cave or place the player on a dungeon/cave map somewhere else in the scene. Note, UniRPG does not do this for you, it is only for painting the tiles and it is a feature I might add later.

> Or animated props (Like the gate at the video above)
    UniRPG Ed is only for painting atm, it does not handle any game mechanics, so it won't start aniamtions when you open a gate for example (this will change when I add these features later).

> Or slopes/lifts?
    Slopes can placed witn the normal tiles tool. Not sure how you want a lift to work, but it could be made into a tile - obviously there is code needed related to moving it and the player up and down.

> What's the max map size with still acceptable performance? (100x100, 1000x1000)
    A 1000x1000 grid is not an issue (on my system). The problem comes in when you tsart painting. Placing tiles is fast, but how many gameobject can unity handle before slowing down? I'm guessing the tiles would have to be optimised somehow like doing a mesh combine on them and you might even need occlusion culling dependng on your camera angle. I don't have a proper answer for this since I've never made a game that big.

> It's possible to place props on each other? (Like crates.)
    No, there are only two options, placing on tile (floor) height or grid height, just like you can't rotate them around the x or z-axes. You could make crate prefabs that are offset at a certain height and place them over lower crates. You could obvioulsy just place the crates the normal way, you still have access to all other unity features.

> If I write my own monster handling now, then can I disable the monster handling coming later in the patches? (Modularity)
    Yup, anything I develop will be components that you drop onto objects to give them the features, like turning it into a monster AI.

> Or it will be buyable as an other assest?
    That I will have to decide on when I get to it and looking at the amount of time put into creating it. I think an AI pack of sorts would be a seperate pack though. I want to keep the price on single packages lower so that you can rather choose what you want.

> t's possible to make games like DS or Diablo with this extension? Or it's only tile based?
    UniRPG Ed is for paining tiles, exactly as you see in the videos I've made. That is why I make them, so you can see exactly what you are getting :)
    I doubt DS or DIabloIII uses same size tiles. They probably have a lot of modular pieces to build the maps, but you would be better off just using Unity's grid and vertex snapping features to then place them. The reason I made this tool if to give people something to make simpler tile-based RPG, not the next Diablo <<< I think I should put this part in the frist post :)

Thanks for the questios, you've mentioned a lot of things I can look at for future versions of this package, like the crates placement, animations handling, and map transitions.

9. zipper

zipper

Are you planning on making the source code available?

FWI, i rarely buy plugins that don't include the complete source code.

I would purchase this if the source code was included.

zipper

10. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I'll dump the VS project files and C# code in a zip file at some point. I did it this way since I did not know how to pull off certain things any other way while still keeping the overal package nice and clean (like the little icons on the editor windows). This is still an early version so I'm not gonna release code right now. I first want to clean it up more and add more features.

11. laxika

laxika

Thanks for the fast answers! I'll plan my game in the upcoming days and going to buy this.

EDIT:

I have one more questation. :)

Do you have any release plan for the future extensions? Because if you know what and when you will release in the future then I plan my project around them. (I do all mapping, story while waiting to the NPC/monster extension etc...) This way I can save lots of effort, programing and time.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  12. Burletech

Burletech

Tried to do a simple test build to my iPad (Gen1) for performance testing and got this error.

Code (csharp):
    1. ArgumentException: The Assembly UnityEditor is referenced by UniRPGEditor. But the dll is not allowed to be included or could not be found.
    2. UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.AddReferencedAssembliesRecurse (System.String assemblyPath, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 alreadyFoundAssemblies, System.String[] allAssemblyPaths, System.String[] foldersToSearch, System.Collections.Generic.Dictionary`2 cache)
    3. UnityEditor.AssemblyHelper.FindAssembliesReferencedBy (System.String[] paths, System.String[] foldersToSearch)
    4. UnityEditor.BuildPlayerWindow:BuildPlayerAndRun()
    Also

Code (csharp):
    1. Error building Player: Extracting referenced dlls failed.

Thanks!

13. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

@laxika The plan is to make the plop tools better and fix serious bugs around the editor as it is now. After that I will look at game specific code, like doing monster AI, combat screens, menus, player and NPC inetraction and movement of the character. It could be up to a month before I start with tehse other things, depending on how many features I still need to add to the base editor to make it more complete.

@gregmax17 I've PMd you.

14. laxika

laxika

That's OK. It'll take me weeks to plan the story, and the maps on paper. Not talking about the models, and the actual mapping. I'll wait then, and not make my own implementations.

Also can I ask what do you plan to do with the plop tools?

Thanks for the info!

15. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Does this support hex tiles? I have got Map Nav asset and that supports hex. Sounds like this could be a good companion.

16. chroipahtz

chroipahtz

The random tile rotation is nice, but have you considered either allowing multiple prefabs for a single tile type, OR allowing a "place random tile from set" feature so you can have multiple very similar tiles in one set, and let the autotiler select a random one for more variation?

Also, would it be possible to allow the user to add custom Plop types?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  17. poboczny

poboczny

This amazing ! I really like how it works ! simple and
    easy ! - too many objects in game might crush it.
    Plain and simple level design for
    a specific game is what you need here !!!

Great, great work over this :)

18. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Sorry, there is no plans to make this work with hex-tiles since they work so much different from square tiles when it comes to drawing things like walls and cliffs. This tool will also be growing towards a tile-based RPG maker rather than just drawing tiles (via updates to this release and other packages that supports this one).

19. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I think allowing a random from the same set might work nice. Would be simpler to implement in the PrefabDB editor and you don;t have to add wall/corner pieces for those extra floors. I make a note of this.

What do you mean by "custom Plop types"? Is it the prop, monster, trap, etc list? That can't be edited atm. I could look into making it possible to edit that but there is not really a reason atm. It was mostly added to organise things and I'm thinking of removing it since it does not really have any meaning in the rest of the system. For example, think about a situation where you want to add a Trap or a Monster. These game objects would get their functionality from components you place on them, which is more in line with how Unity works, rather than having one huge plop class that looks at the item type to determine what to do with 'em.

20. Yippie

Yippie

Wow RPGMaker in Unity I LOVE it! XD

21. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

lol. maybe one day :)

22. rexxthunder

rexxthunder

Great program, but I am having some problems.

I have a project that has both Map and Nav and UniRPG.

I have a 64 bit Windows 7 Unity Pro system.

I've copied the files mentioned above to the Editor folders. My file Project layout looks like this...

UniRPG
    ----Assemblies
    -------UniRPGEditor
    -----------InspectorBase'1
    -----------MapCreateWindow
    -----------PrefabDBEditor
    -------UnitRPGRuntime
    -----------TilePeice
    -----------Plob
    -----------PrefabDB
    -----------Map
    Editor
    ---Scripts
    -------MapInspector
    -------PlopInspector
    -------PrefabDBInspector
    ---UniRPGEditor.dll
    ---UniRPGRuntime.dll

It tests fine in Unity itself, but when I try to build to a web player, I get this...

* ArgumentException: The Assembly UnityEditor is referenced by UniRPGEditor. But the dll is not allowed to be included or could not be found.
    * Error Building Player: Extracting Referenced DLLs failed.

Have I done something wrong?

23. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

You need to move these two files to the Editor folder so that Unity know they are editor related. You moved the runtime DLL, leave that one as is.
    UniRPGEditor.dll
    UniRPGEditor.dll.mdb

[edit] soz, I see I specified the wrong files in my first post. Will fix that.

24. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I've updated the package to version 1.1

Important. If you where using v1.0,
    Move the folllowing files from /Assets\UniRPG\Assemblies\
    UniRPGEditor.dll and UniRPGEditor.dll.mdb to \Assets\UniRPG\Editor\Scripts\
    UniRPGRuntime.dll and UniRPGRuntime.dll.mdb to \Assets\UniRPG\Scripts\
    and remove the Assemblies folder as it will not be used any longer.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2012
  25. Tom-Ash

Tom-Ash

Where the new version can be downloaded from ? It's not on the asset store.

26. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

It has been submitted and is waiting for approval. They probably have a lot of submissions to go through.

27. CrazySi

CrazySi

Hi this looks good,
    But will it work in FPS camera mode? Can I have ceilings and levels?

28. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Yes, if you create a ceiling for your floor tiles then you will have one. That Grimrock video of their editor was the inspiration to create this tool. I even had you drawing tiles in a 2D window at first, but doing it in the scene view worked better so I removed the 2D thing.

[edit] when I say create a ceiling for it, I mean the celiing mesh is part of the floor tile mesh. So placing the floor basically places the ceiling too and you obviously model your walls such that they fit nicely.

Please note that I have no intention of adding different level heights to Dungeon maps. They only support the normal floor level (where payer moves) and the lower floor level (for lava, water, etc tiles) - in terms of FPS this would be the first Wolfenstein :). Terrain maps are the only ones that will support higher and lower areas of up to 10 units higher or lower from origin. You could obvioulsy create various dungeon maps and then have a staircase which "teleports" the player between the maps to take him to an upper/lower floor. I am working on "game mechanics" which will handle things like this.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2012
  29. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I've submitted v1.2
    * Added requested features
    - random floor tile piece from set when painting
    - adjust height of plops according to existing plops to allow stacking

30. sefou

sefou

Hi Leslie Young,

how adding my own textures to yours dungeons prefabs . Anyway your plugin is awsome.

Thanks.

31. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Those are just samples. It is expected that you would create models that fit to your specific needs. But you are welcome to using the included art. To change the textures you would have to import the provided FBX files into a 3d editing tool to modify them and then export as new FBX files that you can be setup as tile pieces that can be used on dungeon/terrain maps.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2012
  32. kimsama

kimsama

How does it reduce drawcall?

If each of tile is a gameobject, there may be a performance problem due to drawcall.

Does the tool support combining textures of tiles for altas and meshes?

- Kim

33. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

No, it does not do that for you and there are no plans to add something like that. I might look into this at some point but can't promise anything.

34. twinmatrix

twinmatrix

Hi Leslie,

I have purchased UniRPG but have a problem with updating the PrefabDB. At some point after a while, the Tiles/Auto-tiles/Plops stop updating in the Map tab. So even though I add a new Plop to the PrefabDB, it doesn't show up in the list. Please help? :)

35. Legacy

Legacy

Does this do what your doing in the first video? you mentioned that this does not do dungeon editing and linked us to a seperate dungeon tool?

36. Legacy

Legacy

Also another question sorry for the double post, are you shipping this with only assemblies? or can we actually extend the system. Shipping it with only the assembly would make it quite useless for people who want to addon to the system or extend its abilities.

37. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

Please PM me with more details about the problem you are having.

38. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

The first video is not showing another tool. It is UniRPG but with a different tileset (which is not incldued with the package since I do not have the right to sell that art)

You can edit dungeons, but you can't expect to oaint maps for games like the latest Diablo or Dungeon Siege. Have a close look at their worlds and you will see they are not just using 1x1 tile piece grids.

Only assemblies and even if I release source at some point it would be a seperate archive that can be used as a learning tool but that source would still have to be compiled to make it work correctly in Unity; so no, you don't have the ability to modify UniRPG Ed. source to extend the system. The only way I can see you extending it at this point is to create derived classes or extension methods.

39. Legacy

Legacy

I dont mind having to compile the assemblies as long as i can extend the system as you said about the 1x1 tile issue i would want to extend the system and add more features like multi tiered dungeons and multiple size tile support. I just dont want to buy something if i cannot make use of it and add onto it to get the features i need for my game ;). If the source code is guaranteed i would be more than happy to purchase it :p

40. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I can't guarantee it right now so rather hold off from purchase if that is a deal breaker for you. I also recommend you rather just use Unity's editing tools if you are going to work with modular pieces that are not same-size tiles. You would spend way too much time trying to extend this toolwhile you could rather have spend that time just building the maps of you game. The Unity snapping features with Ctrl for grid based snapping and V for vertex snapping should work well and you could create prefabs of groups of objects that are used a lot.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2012
  41. Legacy

Legacy

Well my goal is to make a tool much like this one -

They use this tool to build maps for their mmo in unity.

42. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

That looks pretty cool, did not know the game was being created in Unity. It seems like they are creating the maps at runtime rather than in the Unity editor, if you look at how the GUI works and looks.

Never thought of big tiles liike that, that is an inetrresting idea.

[edit] I'll include the source code with some compile instruction, in a seperate zip, from the next update onward.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2012
  43. Legacy

Legacy

Awesome yes that is a runtime tool, you can also get it to work in the unity editor before runtime using units Editor API i was able to start building a level editor in which i could update things live in the editor without hitting play, i beleive though using it at runtime would be a better idea as i beleive there are much more friendly ways of doing it at runtime ;)

44. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

I've submitted update 1.3 which includes the full source code.

45. Legacy

Legacy

46. ZJP

ZJP

Hi Leslie Young.

I found this video on Youtube. When this "very cool tool" will it be available? ;)

47. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

48. ZJP

ZJP

Oh...Thx

49. gregmax17

gregmax17

Apologizes if this has been asked before: is there a way to set ceilings?

50. Leslie-Young

Leslie-Young

To have ceilings you will have to add the mesh for one to the floor tile piece. So your floor tile will be both the floor and the ceiling.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.