Search Unity

Unity's implementation for Keyboard in Android is Full of Bugs!

Discussion in 'Android' started by SolidSnake, Aug 16, 2012.

1. SolidSnake

SolidSnake

Hi All,

I know this is not the place to file bugs (I already filed a bug for one of the issues using report bug from the editor)

But I just wanted to share with you issues and frustrations I encountered with Android keyboard when i started porting my app from iOS to Android hoping that someone encountered similar issues :).

The app has compose message section which requires the user to be able to press buttons and interact with Unity view while typing a message.. this works fine on iOS

I am using Unity 3.5.5f3 PRO on Mac

Issues noticed so far:

1. When TouchScreenKeyboard.hideInput set to False

• On old versions of Android, tested on 2.2 and 2.3 (HTC desire and Nexus One): no touch events are received to unity.. you can only type and dismiss the keyboard without being able to interact with Unity view

• New versions of Android, tested on ICS (Google Nexus and Samsung galaxy S3): any touch outside the keyboard and the text field dismisses the keyboard

Expected behaviour is to be able to interact with Unity view while the keyboard is shown

2. When TouchScreenKeyboard.hideInput set to True
    You can interact with Unity view, however more issues will rise (This works fine if the TouchScreenKeyboard.hideInput = false):

• Dismissing the keyboard with Back button (tested on 2.2, 2.3 ICS): works fine at the beginning, but once the app pause to the background then resumes the 1st event of back button dismisses the keyboard without changing the statuses of TouchScreenKeyboard instance (visible, active and done) will remain true as if the keyboard still shown. 2nd press on Back button will make the keyboard visible but toggles the statuses (visible active done) to false as if the keyboard is not shown.

• Inputing certain characters such as £,€,¥,¿,¡ turns the values of the variable (text) to empty string.

• Unable to change TouchScreenKeyboardType the keyboard will be always set to default

Unless Unity fixes these issues.. we might have to write our own plugin for the keyboard.

Did anyone else encountered similar issues?

Many Thanks

Yas

==EDIT==
    Made a copy in Unity Support forum : http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/147669-Android-Keyboard-issues?p=1010682#post1010682

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012