Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Space Game action RPG

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Guriamo, Aug 12, 2012.

1. Guriamo

Guriamo

---New Update---

old update

---Update end---

I started building this prototype about 5 weeks ago.

The basic idea behind is to create a 30 minute playable prototype, including 5 levels ups, 1 mission and 2 or 3 enemy types...At the core its a Diablo style action rpg (very reduced mechanics) that's more slow paced and focuses on space exploration.

Doesn't sound a lot, but I am working on it by myself, and only a few hours every weekend.

It also functions as a learning tool for me to pick up a bit of coding knowledge along the way. having only started to get into that recently.

Here are 2 screenshot from the first 2 weeks which involved getting in basic movement, basic level up structure and 1 enemy (a cube):

These are from 2 weeks back when I started testing a few things for the background art, also added basic combat and enemy behaviours (evasive manoeuvres, shooting back, etc.):

And a few screenshots from the recent build. I added a collision system, loot drop system and started creating a modular base set for a station based on a huge asteroid:

I will hopefully post more stuff as it evolves further and when I have time to do the art stuff... not much to see when I am working on code :)

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. phex

phex

I really like that.

3. Guriamo

Guriamo

thanks...

i ll try to add more breakdowns and construction screens later on. Unfortunately a weekend hasnt enough hours to work more on it :)

4. wccrawford

wccrawford

The modular asteroid station looks awesome. I'm a little jealous. :D

5. Guriamo

Guriamo

i made a quick screengrab of the modules i have so far and te texture it uses (missing the spec in the alpha channel and glow texture)

these are just the basic construction blocks which will be detailed with props and decals later on..

6. LaneFox

LaneFox

looks nice! keep it up for sure.

7. Guriamo

Guriamo

I did some more work in the game this weekend.

added the health bar and expierience bar... there are still the values as text for testing. Also i made the ship visible when behind objects by swapping the material when the player ship is occluded.
    Plu some more work on the space platform... added some add on props, textured the middle section and put in some decals to test it. And a smoke effect coming out of the exhausts on the platform.

8. tzvier

tzvier

I am impressed with the sense of depth you've created. It really looks like you'd be flying around in 3 dimensions, but with the ease of only moving in 2. It looks really good. Any guess on when a playable demo will be available?

9. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Looks great, I would split your geometry pieces up. I noticed some of them have the extruded parts modeled into the geometry, thus creating more polygons and less ability to make really unique modular sections.

If you need any help, send me the assets and texture map and ill create you some really killer modular elements for free.

10. Guriamo

Guriamo

cheers guys...

playable version might take at least until i got a more interesting gameplay in and working more on the enemy behaviour to include object avoidance for example.. normal fighting works now... with everything except you cant die (only get a console output that you re dead) :)

regarding splitting up the geometry...
    On pieces like the splace platform i am using maya as my level building tool, essentialy creating all modules seperatly and stiching them together in a clean file, then extracting the seperate material groups and build bigger chuncks with pieces that share one material. Fishinfing all in a neat outliner setup for export... the base modules are extruded because they only act as backdrop but still being easy enough to do variants of them, also since i work in maya on that its easy to seperate and resusing pieces made earlier.

I will try topost some breakdowns when I am back home..

11. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

That's a lot of work done in very little time! And it looks awesome.

GIVE US MOAR

12. Guriamo

Guriamo

here are some screengrabs from Maya.
    An overview of the whole thing plus some smaller props that will be instanced on the platform. Some of them are also me animated like the fan exhausts, same goes for the decals (i just started on those and the texture sheet is still almost empty).

13. Guriamo

Guriamo

not much of an visual update this weekend ... just worked on the enemy behaviour to have it avoid collision with objects and do some more interesting evasive maneuvers when being attacked.

I hope i get more time next week to finish the enemy behaviour off and do more art related stuff.

14. hellcaller

hellcaller

very nice!

15. Guriamo

Guriamo

Didnt have a lot of time but a small update..

finished the enemy behaviour so it works at least acceptable for now, and did some work on the space platform. Added some energy fences, textures the parts already made and some small stuff..

also started to lay out the inventory a bit, but only spent an hour on that one....

16. Guriamo

Guriamo

added the first version of the inventory/char screen, and connected the code up, to finally be able to track stats and money loot...

here a small video of what i have so far..

17. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Badass, I think its really coming along nicely and your modular assets are really working well. I love the shot where you are flying over the craters and you modeled them into the geo according to the texture map, nicely done.

18. Guriamo

Guriamo

thanks...

i plan to have the way over the craters to build up a buit more and more the closer you get... also there will be turrets to fight late on. but first i want to get the inventory working and have a basic loot drop system with items set up.

i also did some work on the player ship, but thats not in the game yet...

19. Guriamo

Guriamo

only a small update this week... worked a bit on the player ship.

created an higher res model (not really a hig res but with an camera that high it will be sufficient) and baked normal maps for the ship. The shapes are held very basic for the same reasons, should still be readable from above, and some parts will not be seen anyway..

the big space on the back will be for engine upgrades, the weapons on the front will also be changeable. Also the 2 things in the middle will be to add armor plating.

20. Guriamo

Guriamo

Finished the player ship this weekend, plus created a UI for the enemy health bars... also created a UI prefab to use for the loot system..

Not a lot there, here are some screengrabs of how the ship looks, it is only seen far away ingame but i created the textures in case i want to use it for other things too (cutscenes, inventory view , etc)

21. Guriamo

Guriamo

a bit work this weekend...

added a minimap feature, created some weapons effects and a lot of other tweaks and small additions.

here is a video of the latest build:

22. Guriamo

Guriamo

Didnt have time last week to work on this, so heres a quick update of this week. Not a lot of time lately, so its just the enemy ship done (i will tweak the textures in spots a i m not fully happy with it yet)... also for the viewpoint a 512x512 is quite big but i wanted to have a more detailed model just in case i use it for other stuff too..

23. Guriamo

Guriamo

I havent updated the thread for the past 2 weeks as i did mostly code stuff (not a lot of time unfortunately).
    But i got more time this weekend to add the very wip inventory system and randomized loot drops. Also i added some effects and fixed lots of small issues.

here is a short video of the latest version.

24. Guriamo

Guriamo

Another update (has been a while)..

i finaly implemented the 1st pass of the inventory so the player can pick up , drop and equip randomly generated loot. (still a lot of bugs in there)...

but for now i ll concentrate a bit on the art side again. fleshing out the 1st mission zone and blocking out the 2nd mission zone which will be an old abandoned space station floating around.

the 1st mission zone has got a bit o an update, i am creating lots of blockout models to populate the area and use for level design. The images are mainly the new mining towers on the asteroid. there will be small props polulating the ground more and maybe some mining lasers going on to get a more alive look.
    Also you can see some blockouts for turrets that will be in this area posing anothe thread more statc than the ships.

there will be more to come, but i havent fund too much time lately...

25. runner

runner

No laser beams of fire?

anyway coming along nicely i see.

26. Guriamo

Guriamo

laser beams of fire? now thats an idea :) adding elemental effects to lasers....

at the moment i only have few stats that can be improved wirh weapons like energy recharge rate and damage output, but having additional effects would be nice to have in the future for sure :)

27. Guriamo

Guriamo

Another quick update... Built some more structures for the mining station and propped up the area more...
    also added some "fancy" moving space dust to the midground layer to add more life to the scene...

28. Guriamo

Guriamo

a bit of an update again...

first thing i havent posted yet is the add ons to the mining station... i changes the skybox, added some warning signs to show the boarders of the zone, and some other stuff.

the other update is a jumpgate which will be the starting and end point of the demo. And the abandoned ghost station which is partially used by pirates as hideout. It still is very wip and only the 1st pass. i need to add destruction to the non used parts and add light sources and other detail to the hideout part.

29. carmine

carmine

This is a really great really fun idea! I like being able to play a game just using my mouse. Something like this that is multiplayer with a diablo feel would be awesome! You must keep this up and keep us updated!

I also wouldn't mind talking to you about an idea I have for a game.

30. Guriamo

Guriamo

cheers,

i ll try to keep it up with the updates... trying to get all he big structures in and then focus on the actual missions.... :)

sure,just send me an e mail, no problem

31. Raigex

Raigex

Dude, this game looks awesome. Especially the graphics. I especially like the large Startgate/Jumpgate type structure.

32. Guriamo

Guriamo

some new updates.
    Created an armor upgrade model that is put on the ship when a Hull item is equipped. Finished the turret tower model and started the script by having it follow the player when in range. Also created a spawn in effect and adjusted the explosion effect a bit.

Plus I started working on my spawning trigger script to be a lot more flexible when starting creating missions.

33. Guriamo

Guriamo

a quick update this weekend.

i revamped the attacking system to try out moving shooting in different directions. against my original plans i added a turret tower on top that looks at the mouse position and the player is now able to move and shoot in different directions. which makes the combat a lot more fun imo.

also i added a quick visual implementation of the shield system... needs lot of work tho.

34. Guriamo

Guriamo

Finally finished implementing the Mines... Its a 3rd enemy type that will be placed static in the world and activated once the player gets close.

in their static state they are invulnerable due to a heavy shield, but once they are activated they will drop the shield and chase the player (with an ever increasing speed). they do a lot of damage so they should be destroyed quickly.

I also implemented a line that indicates where the player is moving. It helps orienting yourself during battles. Maybe i ll do something that lets you plot a few way points (maybe a passive skill) so create a path during battles.

35. Guriamo

Guriamo

Not a lot this weekend..

I implemented a first version of the repair kits (health potions).. they will be dropped by enemies and spawn 4 drones that circle the ship and repait it slowly.
    Later on it will be possible to have them as pickups that can be used later.

36. Guriamo

Guriamo

this week only modeling done....

this is a new enemy ship for the mining faction. The texture i created is modular and will be used on all the mining faction ships.

37. Guriamo

Guriamo

havent been able to work a lot the last weeks as i was away for work...

I finally implemented the 2nd enemy ship completely and added all functionality to the turrets (the turret weapon is still todo).

Also i added a lean to the player ship when turning (that messed up the minimap icon a bit but that can be fixed). And I added the first pass on lootable containers which has still placeholder art.

Here a quick video that shows most of the things mentioned:

38. Guriamo

Guriamo

this week was mainly artwork..

created the first lootable container which is a kind of lost escape pod. also i worked a bit on the asteroids. they can be colored diferently now for eac instance and also rotate in various directions which makes the asteroids part of the level a lot more dynamic (but also screws up my collision detection a bit for the player)...

i ll try to make a video of it too later...

39. Guriamo

Guriamo

This week i created 3 new asteroid models (big, med small) with the med and small ones have fractured surfaces. They are used as background objects and will be also used for gameplay ( a bit of asteroids style gameplay within the asteroid field).

Also i added danger zones which hurt the player when entering. They can still be used as shortcuts but will have the risk of losing health attached.

Enemies for now are unaffected by the zones, but the plan is to have them avoid them but also lure them in to kill them faster.

here is a quick video is it in action.

40. GeneBox

GeneBox

Love it, will be keeping an eye on this project!

41. Guriamo

Guriamo

Over he last few nights I reworked the background, created new textures for the bi asteroid, created an Asteoids style minigame in the play area (basically some med sized asteroids that fly around and can be shot to break the apart, then they drop some loot).

Also added new effects and new asteroid models into the mix (ice asteroids)...

And yes the background looks a bit noisy / hard to see the gameplay elements. The idea is to later use a different camera to render the background and foreground and adjust the saturation , etc slightly to set them apart better. I just done have unity pro to do that for now.

here some images:

42. Guriamo

Guriamo

New video of the scanning feature i implemented this weekend as a 1st pass. it lets the player scan certain objects and gives some info about the object. later on i hope to get some combat bomus or other things in for that. It ll also be used for missions.

Also a look here of the destructible asteroids from last week which can be harvested for materials (credits at the moment).

Plus i added some effects, and did a bit o the UI / inventory... moved around slots, added a new font,...

43. Guriamo

Guriamo

last weekend I took a break so there was no update... This weekend I did start on the interior sections. I started creating a set of modular duncgeon pieces for a cave inside a big asteroid, and also the same pieces with a tech theme for inside the mning station (maybe).
    All of the pieces are build on a grid and snap together seamless.

Here is a shot of the overall pieces in maya, and a quick test in the game (the layout is still the test layout to create the pieces).

44. JohanHoltby

JohanHoltby

You are a good artist! But that you already know I guess. Keep up the good work!

45. Guriamo

Guriamo

cheers , wish i d be a better coder tho, would make things easier.. :)

46. Guriamo

Guriamo

Another update...

I have the 1st interior in now... still only enter able through the jump gate to test it. I added an enemy prefab for interiors where i changed the attack patterns and aggro ranges. placed some lootable containers around to test that.

Still a lot to do there, plus the 2nd interior set to go.

here is a quick video of the interior in action:

(dont mind the framerate, my mac mini doesnt like gaming and screen capture at the same time)

47. kalamona

kalamona

48. Guriamo

Guriamo

True, its a bit similar to Drox... the basic idea for this game was a simple Diablo in Space... but i try to go a bit beyond that now trying to make it a bit slower paced and add more space stuff.

its still only a weekend side project, but if that changes for whatever reason sure :)

49. kalamona

kalamona

I really don't want to push myself, but if your concern is that I will ask for money, I can work for free too, with some restrictions. But if you want to keep it all in your hands, I understand that too :)

A slower-paced Drox sounds wonderful. I liked Drox too, but I also think it was too combat-oriented (no asteroid mining, scanning for rare resources, crafting, etc). Though the idea of "sectors" and the ability to "win" in a rougelike (only to begin a new universe on a higher level) was very good.

Anyways, best luck with your project.

50. massey_digital

massey_digital

This looks great! :)