Search Unity

Minimap / Map System [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Deleted User, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Deleted User

Deleted User

KGFMapSystem 2.2
    The out of the box unity3d minimap solution
    (best rating, best reviews, most popular)

We are proud to release version 2.2 of our unity3d minimap on the Asset Store.
    It is a result of one year of hard work, design, testing content creation and 10 month of userfeedback and bugfixing.
    It is used by a wide community and used in AAA game titles.

$KGFMapSystemGamesWide.jpg

Features:

• 4 Step Integration: Drag and drop the KGFMapSystem into your scene, create a layer, set a target, add your map icons.
    • NGUI support: Just download the free KGFMapSystemNGUI addon and render your minimap gui with one drawcall!
    • PLAYMAKER support: Invoke all KGFMapSystem methods simply by using playmaker actions
    • Multiplatform Support: KGFMapSystem works on IOS, Android, PC, OSX and Web.
    • All unity versions: KGFMapSystem works on unity3d free, unity3d pro, unity3d 3.5.x and unity3d 4.x
    • Detailed documentation: Step by step quickstart tutorials, demo scenes on www.kolmich.at/documentation
    • Fast support: Get fast answers on www.kolmich.at/forum or contact us directly at support@kolmich.at
    • Map/Minimap: Switch between fullscreen map and minimap at runtime.
    • Customization: Really EVERYTHING is customizeable (position, button, size, colors, skins, arrows, alpha masks, map icons, icon depth sorting).
    • Fog Of War: Reveal state can be saved and loaded per level. Reveal distances and color can be customized. Multiple units can reveal the fog of war.
    • Performance: KGFMapSystem takes a photo of the scene and renders it in the minimap camera instead of rendering the whole scene a second time. This will make the difference between 100 FPS and 50 FPS on complex levels..
    • unity3d GUI support: Easy to configure unity3d gui included, adjust icon, padding, button sizes aso.
    • 3rd party GUI support: You can disable the gui of the KGFMapSystem and render your own instead.
    • Mouse wheel zoom: Move your mousecursor over the minimap and use your mousewheel for zooming
    • Zoom Levels: Adapt min zoom, max zoom and zoom step size. This zoom settings can be adjusted for minimap and map mode separately!
    • Tooltips: Fully customizeable tooltips are shown over the MapIcon the mouse is hovering over.
    • Switchable Orientation: Player can switch between the two display modes: "map rotates and player oriented north" or "map oriented north player rotates".
    • Camera Frustum: Display the camera frustum on your map/minimap. Adapt color and alpha.
    • Fully customizeable Map Icons: Customize texture, category, color, visibility, tooltip visibility, depth order and size.
    • Map Icon Rotation: Map icons can stay oriented north or inherit their gameobject rotation.
    • Map Icon categories: Map icons can be organized by categories, so whole categories can be enabled/disabled at once. Or the tooltips can be enabled or disabled for a whole category.
    • Per Map Icon scaling: Map icons can have a different size on the minimap.
    • Direction Arrows: When a map icon leaves the map a fully customizeable arrow will point into its direction.
    • Bookmarks: Add/remove own customizeable markers at runtime by clicking on the map.
    • World space positions from map clicks: An event is triggered every time the user clicks on the map. The event provides a Vector3 parameter containing the world space position of the map click position.
    • Hover Events: C# events for mouse entering or leaving the map or any MapIcon.
    • Alphamasks: Use an alpha mask texture to change the appearance of your map.
    • Lots of high end content included: Start using the KGFMapSystem immediately with the included content: 39 naval icons, 57 combineable nato icons 23 standard map icons and 4 map skins
    • Works with side scrolling games: KGFMapSystem can work also on xy-plane oriented games like jump'n run and sidescrollers.
    • Clean and well documented C# API All features can be accessed by public methods and events.
    • Command line control: If you have bought the KGFConsole you can conrol the KGFMapSystem at runtime by command line commands.
    • Logging: If you have bought the KGFDebug the KGFMapSystem will redirect all logs into this module.
    • Regular Updates: We are reacting on bugs as well as on user feature request.

Links:

Screenshots:
    Checkout the asset store link for more screenshots!

$screenshots.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 30, 2013
  2. Mihai93

Mihai93

Realy cool can you add to a RPG skin to minimap?

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

4. Deleted User

Deleted User

5. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

Really interesting, will have a closer look this evening. Definitely on my to buy list.

6. SteveJ

SteveJ

Can the map save and reload it's state (i.e. FOW)? e.g. say I've explored half of area 1, I move to area 2, then return to area 1 to continue my exploration - can the map reload what I had discovered of area 1 (say "areas" are scenes)?

7. SteveJ

SteveJ

I just saw "Load, Save," etc in the little screenshot. Sorry, missed it earlier.

Will be checking this out! Looks good.

8. Likos1

Likos1

Does it work well on IOS?

9. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi there,

geppetto: yes it can save the fow. You can try it in the webdemo.
    1) Run a little bit around so you reveal some fow.
    2) Press F2 to open our KGFConsole.
    3) Press the small red switch in the bottom right corner or alt+F2
    4) In the categories on the left side select only KGFMapSystem
    5) In the table on the right you will see there is a command k.ms.fws which means: kgf.mapsystem.save
    6) Click the command button or just enter k.ms.fws in the command line console + press button execute to save the fog of war.
    7) Reload the webdemo but this time invoke k.ms.fwl to load the fog of war again.

Likos1:
    Yes it works well on IOS.

You can also checkout our documentation on http://www.kolmich.at/documentation
    Expand the section "KGF Manual/KGFMapSystem Manual". Here you will find a detailed explanation of all features, step by step quickstart tutorials aso..

So hope you like our mapsystem, we really tried to make it perfect :)

10. Deleted User

Deleted User

geppetto:
    Ah, sorry I misunderstod half of your question.
    At the moment we only save fow in the current scene.
    We cannot save it per scene, but this change shouldn't be very hard.
    We will put it on our wishlist and try to include this functionality until end of the next week.

11. Likos1

Likos1

It is perfect

12. Deleted User

Deleted User

:) Thank you.
    If you like it it would be nice if you could give the product 5 stars in the asset store so others will also get attention.

If you have any feature or bugrequest, feel free to post them in our user forum: http://kolmich.at/forum

13. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi geppetto,

Fog of war saving works per level now.
    1) Start the webdemo
    2) Open the KGFConsole by pressing F2
    3) Type execute the command: k.ms.fws [yoursavegamename1] to save the current fog of war.
    4) Run a little bit around
    5) Type execute the command: k.ms.fws [yoursavegamename2] to save the current fog of war again.
    6) By typing k.ms.fwl [yoursavegamename] you can load any of your savegames.

14. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Saw this on the Asset Store newsletter (or else I would not have seen this...and I check Asset Store every 30 mins!)
    Pretty Interesting! Definitely on my to-buy list. Bookmarked!

Last edited: Sep 30, 2012
  15. cygnusprojects

cygnusprojects

One question though: did anyone already tried this asset on Unity 4 beta?

16. sefou

sefou

Yep,
    work fine with Unity 4b8 ;)

17. Deleted User

Deleted User

Version 1.2 is out now!

New features:
    - KGFMinimap can display huge terrains very fast now by automatically creating a high resolution photo grid of the terrain which will be rendered instead of it. So you always will have the maximum performance.
    - The resolution of the minimap can now be set by adapting the itsPixelPerMeter parameter in the autophoto settings.
    - There is a new flag which allows to disable the log messages

Bug fixes:
    - The Autophoto feature is delayed a little bit on IOS so you will not have a grey minimap anymore.
    - The minimap is not visible in the sky anymore.
    - Gameobjects placed very high in the sky do not appear in the minimap anymore.

So thank you all for using our mapsystem.
    If you have cool feature requests or new ideas how to improve it let us know!

18. schragnasher

schragnasher

Hi, i just purchased your map system and it seems wonderful, but i have an issue. My game is 2D with everything moving around the X,Y instead of the Z, as your can probably guess this throws everything off in the mapping system. Is there any sort of workaround for this?

Thanks
    Josh Baker

19. Mihai93

Mihai93

Is possible to use it for an MMORPG

20. kolmich_support

kolmich_support

Hi schragnasher,

I'm afraid that at this moment we cannot simply rotate the whole map system. We have designed it for 3d games.

We will create a feature request out of your question, and implement it till version 1.3.
    So if you can wait for two weeks we will implement this feature for you.

Michal

21. kolmich_support

kolmich_support

Hi Mihai93,

I see no reason why you should not use it for an MMORPG.

The KGFMapSystem is rendering:
    1) photos of your terrain/scene (if you are using the autophoto feature to get high performance on complex terrains)
    2) Markes (icons attached to players enemies aso.)

- You can create and destroy all the markers on the map dynamically at runtime so it should be no problem to create markers for joining or leaving players.
    - You can also call the method KGFMapsystem .TakePhotoOfScene to update the photos of your terrain/scene if your level/scene or terrain changes.
    - And you will have to sync the save data of the fog of war with your online savegame. Also this is possible cause we provide the methods KGFMapSystem.LoadFromString() and KGFMapSystem.GetSaveString()

22. Nezabyte

Nezabyte

Great! Really looking forward to v1.3 :)

23. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi to all of you waiting for v 1.3!

First of all thank you to all giving us feedback, new ideas and detailed bug reports. We will deploy v 1.3 today to the assetstore so it should be available in a day if unity will give us green light.

Mayor improvements are:
    1) The KGFMapSystem can be now also used for sidescrolling games that are oriented in the xy plane instead of xz. This was a user request and we spent some time implementing it.
    2) We introduced a global settings section in the inspector and putted all the stuff without section into it.
    3) We introduced a itsHideGUI flag so if you want you can also use an own gui instead of ours now.
    4) At the moment v 1.3 will get available we will also switch the documentation to the latest version. Current version is still 1.0.

Bugfixes:
    1) We repaired a clipping problem causing the photos to be sometimes wrong. Here we had some help from one of our users. Thank you very much.

If you have other input, wishes or ideas feel free to contact us.

Michal

24. GCatz

GCatz

I would kill for a minimap like this that not using UnityGUI

25. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi GCat, thank you for the compliment!

Yes we are aware of the issues with UnityGUI (espacially GUILayout) and we know that a lot of people out there are really panicing when they hear somebody is using UnityGUI. . -> This is also the reason why we have implemented the new itsHideGUI flag which allows the use of 3rd party guis. :)

For a short time we were thinking about really integrating a 3rd party gui, BUT:
    1) We are not drawing tables or complex controls here. The KGFMapSystem gui code is using only 1xGUI.box + 4x GUI.button. I'm pretty sure that the performance and memory impact of those 5 UnityGUI elements is insignificant.
    2) Since unity is promising: "Major optimizations in UnityGUI performance and memory usage" for version 4 all reasons for not using UnityGUI will be gone anyway.

So lets hope they will keep their promises!

If you have any other questions checkout our forum forum or just contact us directly on support@kolmich.at

26. schragnasher

schragnasher

Thank you! Can't wait to try it out. My team appreciates the work to make things work in xy plane, im sure it was somewhat tedious of a task.

27. jbarrett98121

jbarrett98121

hey, one giant complaint..........

i'm using this in a first person camera system with ork rpg kit. so, when the player is in first person mode, and looks up into the sky.... there is a frikn giant MAP floating above the players head that you cannot get rid of because it's the picture of the map that's also being shown on the minimap on screen.

is there a way to re position that so when the player looks around in a first person camera mode he doesn't see a giant plane with a texture of the map floating above his head?

a much more sensible place to put it would be under the player, where he is never going to be able to see...... is there a way i can do that?

Last edited: Nov 15, 2012
  28. jbarrett98121

jbarrett98121

here is what is happening with the map in a semi fps camera (modified 3rd person) but when you look up in the sky, you can clearly see the map texture floating in the sky above the player. how can i fix that ? 32 seconds in the vid you can see the problem

29. jbarrett98121

jbarrett98121

question answered..... the map texture thing is always on the default layer... so i just had to set the camera to ignore the default layer, and move everything important over to another layer.

all fixed, but i have another question.

what i'd like to be able to do now, is activate the large map, and zoom in and out with keystrokes instead of mouse clicks, as the mouse cursor is disabled in my game. any help on that?

30. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi jbarrett98121

1) If you are using version 1.3 the problem with the mapplane is fixed. In version 1.3 we have moved this plane into the mapsystem layer. So you just have to make sure that your main camera is not rendering the mapsystem layer.

2) If you are using version 1.3 you can control the KGFMapSystem with the available public methods. Switch between fullscreen and normal mode with KGFMapSystem SetMinimapEnabled(bool theEnable); Zoom with the methods: KGFMapSystem.ZoomIn(); KGFMapSystem.ZoomOut(); KGFMapSystem.ZoomMax() and KGFMapSystem.ZoomMin();

If you have other questions just ask. By the way your game looks very cool!

Michal

31. jbarrett98121

jbarrett98121

thanks! it is indeed 1.3, i was just silly and had the layers set incorrectly. ok! so by public, do you mean i can control them in a script outside of the mapysytem script? or.... should i put something under update to control it? i was thinking of on keystroke M display the fullscreen map..... so something like this :

Code (csharp):
    2. void Update() {      
    3.  if (Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.Menu))          
    4.  SetMinimapEnabled(bool theEnable);            
    5. }
    if i wanted to display the map in fullscreen mode when i press the M key, which i map to an input called Menu. is that correct? do i put that on an outside script, or do i have to put that in the KGFmapsystem script?

thank you for the help!

32. dterbeest

dterbeest

I will most definitely be buying this. Just to be sure, it can run in Unity free right?

33. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi jbarett98121: Yes the KGFMapSystem can be controlled completely via script. But i would suggest to implement your control code not in the map system itself, cause we are releasing new features and updates regurarly so you will have to add your changes every time again. Just create an own control script, attach it to the KGFMapSystem.

Example:

Code (csharp):
    2. using UnityEngine;
    3. using System.Collections;
    5. public class ManualMapController : MonoBehaviour
    6. {
    7.     private KGFMapSystem itsMapSystem = null;
    9.     // Use this for initialization
    10.     void Start ()
    11.     {
    12.         itsMapSystem = GetComponent<KGFMapSystem>();    //do this only once to save performance
    13.     }
    15.     // Update is called once per frame
    16.     void Update ()
    17.     {
    18.         if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.M))
    19.         {
    20.             itsMapSystem.SetFullscreen(!itsMapSystem.GetFullscreen());  //toggle the mapsystem
    21.         }
    22.     }
    23. }

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2012
  34. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi dterbeest,

Yes we have tested it with the free version of unity.

All features are supportet except the alphamasking which requires rendertextures.
    When you look at the main picture at the assetstore:

http://u3d.as/content/kolmich-creations/kgfmap-system/3bf

You will not be able to create the red one. But you will be able to create rectangulaer minimaps like the other three in the picture.

35. dterbeest

dterbeest

Thanks for the quick reply. Great that it does work in the free version. Overall a good and solid looking system!

36. jbarrett98121

jbarrett98121

Thank you very much! that does in fact work, now i have to figure out how to turn off the player controls when you press m... so the player doesn't keep moving around while in fullscreen map mode. i'll get there, thank you for the help!

37. jbarrett98121

jbarrett98121

heyah, sorry to bother. I'm getting an error when trying to do the same for zooming :

Code (csharp):
    1.  if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.P))
    2.         {
    3.             KGFMapSystem.ZoomIn();   //zoom in
    4.         }
    i'm getting "an object reference is required to access non static member KGFMapSystem.ZoomIn(); "

what am i leaving out ?

38. jbarrett98121

jbarrett98121

oops! i needed to use itsMapSystem, not KGFMapSystem. got it!

i'm using this in conjunction with ORK, it's working pretty well, i just have to figure out how to hide the map at certain points (during battles, cinematics, other menu screens, etc)

it's a very nice map system!

edit : also , is there a way i can map a key to the + , and - keys? obviously if(Input.GetKeyDown(KeyCode.+))i isn't going to work .. sorry to be un related here, is there a way to typecast that?

39. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi jbarrett98121,

1) :) Yes you always need the instance of KGFMapSystem to access the methods.
    2) I thinke the KeyCode you are serching for is KeyCode.Plus or Keycode.KeypadPlus. BUT: I would reccomend to use Input.GetButton instead. With Input.GetButton you are not hardcoding the controls and will be later able to remap your keys in the InputManager. Just checkout the unity input documentation.
    3) Don't forget that you can also use our user forum for this kind of specific technical questions: http://www.kolmich.at/forum/.

Or you can also contact us directly at support@kolmich.at. So feel free to ask any time. We are happy that the KGFMapSystem is working for you.

Best wishes from Vienna

Michal

40. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi,
    We have just uploaded version 1.4 to the assetstore! So it should be available tomorrow..

New demo video:
    on VIMEO or YOUTUBE or at the first page of this thread.

New Features:
    - When not using the auto photo feature: Layers rendered by the minimap can be defined.
    - Introduced events that will return the minimap clickposition in world space.
    - Example script showing how to control the mapsystem by code.

Bugfixes:
    - itsHideGUI flag works correctly now.
    - itsMapColor works again.
    - Reflective water shaders are not breaking the photo feature.

A big thankyou to all submitting bugreports and feature requests.

Michal

41. Deleted User

Deleted User

Version 1.5 is now available:

New features:
    - Introduced tooltip feature when hovering over mapicons
    - Added margin parameter to the appearence section
    - Mapicons can have individual scaling now
    - Added new events for EventMouseEnteredMap, EventMouseLeftMap, EventMouseEnteredMapIcon, EventMouseLeftMapIcon, EventMouseClickedMapIcon
    - Multiple MapIcons can reveal fog of war now.

Bugfixes:
    - Fixed rescaling of map when changing screen resolution

42. theitalianjob

theitalianjob

I need a version for Unity 3.5.7 it's possible?

43. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi theItalianJob,

Since KGFMapSystem version 1.4 we moved to unity 4, and the package in the assetstore can only be imported with unity4..

I just tried to reimport in 3.5 but got a crash. all the prefabs will not import and the demo scenes are broken.
    But you are not the only person asking for this.

We should be able to recreate a 3.5 compatible version in a day or two. So we will send it to anyone that can send us a valid purchase confirmation.
    Michal

44. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Got this and some other assets in the recent 24 hour madness sale. All the other assets have downloaded fine but this is permanently stuck on 'Waiting for server'. Have restart Unity several times and still get the same issue. Running Unity 4.0.1f2. Tried on both Mac and PC and still no way to start the download. Any idea what might be happening? Seems strange can download other assets (whilst this still remains stuck) and this is the only one having issues.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Tortyfoo,

The problem was just solved by unity3d. You should be able to download the package now.
    Best wishes,

Michal

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 28, 2013
  46. Tortyfoo

Tortyfoo

Thanks, download works fine now. Any ETA on 3.5.7 version as I would be interested in that.

47. Deleted User

Deleted User

Hi Tortyfoo,

We are planning version 1.7 for next Wednesday.

New features will be:
    - Autophoto feature will have the posibility to take photos during edit time
    - Optional integrated NGUI
    - Version 3.5.7 Support

If you need something else just tell us before the next release! :)

Michal

48. Jaimi

Jaimi

Excellent news! Looking forward to the Autophot and the NGUI support!

49. Deleted User

Deleted User

First of all thank you to all of you for buying the KGFMapSystem in the 24h sale.
    We sold a lot of copies so we have enough capacity to further improve and support it.

Version 1.7 has been submitted to the assetstore and is waiting for approval.

New features:
    - As promised we backported the KGFMapSystem to version 3.5
    - You can now take photos at edit time! This will increase the speed of KGFMapSystem initialization and:
    you can edit the taken photos with photoshop!!

Bugfixes:
    - No bugs were reported for this version. :)

NGUI is not integrated in the package cause we will release it as an own KGFMapSystemNGUI addon package. It will be available for free, and we will submitt it today or tommorow to the assetstore.

Best wishes

Michal

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 7, 2013
  50. kenshin

kenshin

Great news!

I bought in 24h sale and I am really happy about my purchase!

Kenshin