Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

SUIMONO - Customizeable Water System [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by chingwa, Aug 11, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chingwa

chingwa

SUIMONO : Realistic, Interactive, and Customizable water for Unity3d
    Suimono is a set of tools and prefabs for displaying interactive and fully customizable bodies of water. The initial release includes a number of presets to make incorporating suimono into your game projects as easy and seamless as possible. Of course all the settings can be fully customized to your games particular visual style, and you can even create your own prefabs to load dynamically at any time during your game.

Available Now on:
    Tanuki Digital.com
    Unity Asset Store

---------- UPDATE NOV 17, 2013 -----------
    The Suimono 2.0 BETA is now open and free to all current Suimono customers!
    Head on over to the announcement page here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/211653-SUIMONO-Water-System-2-0-BETA-Announcement

---------------------
    Latest Update 8/29/2013 ( Version 1.48 ) [click to see changes]

CLICK TO VIEW WEB PLAYER DEMO (13mb) ver1.32:

---------------------

ORIGINAL PREVIEW VIDEO (August 2012):
    You can see Suimono in action and listen to me talk about many of the features in the below preview video:

Features:
    • INTERACTIVE - built in interaction with other physic gameobjects, including splashes, buoyancy, water ripples with built in refraction, and sound fx.
    • CUSTOMIZE - complete customization over all aspects of surface appearance, underwater refractions, speculars, depth and foam appearance.
    • PRESETS - includes 15+ original presets to quickly include Suimono in your projects, or create your own presets with easy script modification.
    • UNDERWATER EFFECTS - add underwater effects, such as blurring, refraction and water particles quickly and easily.
    • BUILT-IN CAUSTICS - easily customize the depth color and speed of projected caustic effects.
    • DYNAMIC CUBEMAP REFLECTIONS - create fps friendly on-the-fly cubemap reflections or include your own static cubemap textures!
    • AUTOMATIC INTERACTION W/ SCENE LIGHTING - surface appearance automatically responds to the lighting in your scene, supporting specular effects against multiple lighting sources at once.
    • SCALEABLE - flexible and easy to adapt to your specific project needs and outperforms built-in water prefabs.
    • SHORELINE WAVES - Realistic shoreline wave effects for your terrain utilizing flow-based texture mapping.
    • SCREEN EFFECTS - Built-in dripping water and droplet splashes on when exiting the water plane.
    • OBJECT BUOYANCY - Automatic buoyancy interaction customizable on a per-object basis.
    • AUTOMATIC SHORELINE - Shoreline edge and foam are automatically generated and can be edited in opacity, color and width.
    • DEPTH UPDATE - The water surface now shows accurate depth based fog, customizable to the opacity, color, and height.
    Presets:
    Suimono includes the following presets:
    Clear Blue, Clear Dark, Deep Blue, Clear Warm, Swimming Pool, Frozen Ice, Murky Brown, Murky Green, Mud, Grey Muck, Medicinal Hot Spring, Sulfuric Hot Spring, Sacred Pool, Toxic Sludge, Lava Pool, and Deep Dark.

Suimono requires Unity Pro for full visual effects, but is also compatible with standard Unity as well (at the cost of some visual fidelity). Suimono works with PC, Mac, and Linux Standalone and Webplayer, running Unity 3.5+

---------------------
    Tanuki Digital.com
    Unity Asset Store Link

for further information about Suimono, please visit the below sites:
    SUIMONO HOMEPAGE
    SUIMONO HELP FORUM
    SUIMONO DOCUMENTATION

---------- SUIMONO 2.0 BETA -----------
    The Suimono 2.0 BETA is now open and free to all current Suimono customers!
    Head on over to the announcement page here:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/211653-SUIMONO-Water-System-2-0-BETA-Announcement

Last edited: Dec 22, 2014
    SememeS likes this.
  2. Legacy

Legacy

this looks awesome, any idea on price?

3. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

hi there,

it really looks nice.
    nevertheless, a depth based soft shaded shoreline would be great –*just to fade the water withe the land.

lars

4. UnleadedGames

UnleadedGames

Ha, don't really mean the shut up part lol!

5. chingwa

chingwa

@Legacy - Thank you! I haven't decided on final pricing yet, as I am hoping to get feedback and may implement additional features, but my initial pricing range is most likely going to be between $45-$65

@UnleadedGames - haha, I feel your enthusiasm!

@Lars - Do you mean having the water appear to fade into the terrain as it gets closer to the land/water interaction point? I have a solution built into Suimono which approximates this. it isn't truly depth based (as in world Y-depth) but it is camera/distance based. And of course it's customizeable at will. The below image shows the same scene with varying degrees of shoreline opacity/fall-off... Is this what you were thinking of?

----- UPDATE 9-1-2012 -----
    Note: This has now been replaced with a more realistic Y-depth-based shader. Thanks for the suggestion Lars!

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  6. jc_lvngstn

jc_lvngstn

Overall very nice!

7. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

This would be PERFECT for water worlds... now does it have to be a flat plane or can I use any type of geometry...?

8. SevenBits

SevenBits

Looks fantastic.

9. chingwa

chingwa

@ jc_lvngstn - Thanks!

@ SevenBits - Thank You!

@Neptune_Imaging - in the demo video I'm using just a flat plane, the built in unity plane actually. But the shader/material can be applied to any geometry you like, just like any other material. :) I'm sure this could be customized to fill a variety of roles outside of just water... force fields, refractive camo, etc.

10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Good to know... :)

11. MrDude

MrDude

This truly is awesome. I love the physics change with the ice thing...
    I love the fact that all of this can be done with one prefab and the on screen splashes is just a nice and welcome touch. Nice work.

So, since the ICE allows you to walk on water, does that mean that the LAVA will cause any character mesh to automatically melt into a puddle of goo also? :p

I would have loved to see this work on mobile also so I could use one prefab in a "build once, deploy anywhere" solution, though. Any chance of you adding a "IsMobile, look crapper but at least look like water to some extent" tick box (or auto detection) to this prefab? Shader coding I know nothing of but I would greatly love a single prefab for all platforms solution.

12. fallingbrickwork

fallingbrickwork

This looks like a great asset. Can't wait to take it for a spin.

- Matt

13. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Absolutely stunning; any idea when the initial release will be?

14. smitchell

smitchell

Looks awesome!! I would definitely buy this :)

15. chingwa

chingwa

@ MrDude - Thanks for the compliments, and also for the feedback! I would like this to work on mobile as well, however the biggest issue for me at the moment is that even if I'm able to recode this for mobile devices, I don't have any way to support it (as I don't have unity mobile at the moment). This is a deal breaker for me as I can't sell something without being able to troubleshoot unforeseen issues that may come to light once people are trying to implement it in their own projects (especially with mobile!). I do like the idea of different instant quality settings, such as "basic", "beautiful", "gorgeous"... and will probably implement something akin to this by the time I release.

@fallingbrickwork - thanks! I can't wait until this is on the store myself :)

@AaronVictoria - I don't have an exact release date, as I am still open to adding / tweaking some features. I am really planning on getting this all wrapped up and submitted to the store by the end of August. What you see in the video is very far along though, and barring any "game-changing" additions I should be able to meet that goal.

16. chingwa

chingwa

@smitchell - thanks for the encouragement! :)

17. Legacy

Legacy

Where did you learn about water physics simulation? I have been looking all over the internet but unfortunately i cannot find any information pertaining to interactive water.

18. chingwa

chingwa

Well, I guess the key word here is simulation. I wasn't able to find a detailed paper on how to make this all look right, at least nothing I could understand with my decidedly non-mathematical brain. But to simulate something you don't really have to know how or even why it works, just that it feels authentic. I am simply using visual trickery... custom shaders, effects, and textures... to approximate water interaction the way the viewer would expect.

19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Will be also be able to change the textures that drive the details of the water... such as normal mapping? On a shader that I made for water, I have two normal map going the opposite direction as a panning texture, blended over each other... and another important question is will this work with Beast? Especially the lava preset

20. chingwa

chingwa

All the textures are exposed, so you can swap in your own custom textures if you like. I use 2 normal map textures... one is frame animated and the other is static, but there is scrolling animation applied to both. They can be scrolled independently of each other in whichever direction you like. I also use an additional "foam" texture that can also be scrolled independently. When I get closer to release, I plan on giving more specific information on how the system works... a video detailing the setup as well as a tutorial going through each component.

Beast Lightmapping is an excellent question, thanks! I need to do some lightmapping tests on my end before I can answer!

21. chingwa

chingwa

Neptune, what are you looking for when you ask about Lightmapping? Currently the water will interact as expected with other Lightmapped objects. If there aren't any lights in your scene you can compensate for this with Suimono by increasing an 'illumination' variable in the shader. However, It will not add emission lighting to other surrounding lightmapped objects when you bake the lightmapping.

This last issue can be worked around fairly easily however, by having a temporary static plane using a standard illumin shader with an appropriate color while baking, then discarding it after. The below example shows a scene completely baked with Beast, there are no lights. the top image is the scene after baking using a temporary static plane, the lower image shows SUIMONO interacting with all the elements in the scene...

Of course it would be better to have at least one light source with Suimono, since without one the water won't calculate specular highlighting. however in many cases speculars may be unnecessary anyway (lava for example).

Is this what you were expecting, or can you elaborate on what you would need?

22. ImogenPoot

ImogenPoot

Where do you think is physics water simulation? At least in the demo this was not required and would also be too slow. I guess the effect of walking in there is a sort of cosine wave multiplied with the bump amplitude of the water. At least it looks like that. And the rest are particle effects. But either way, its nicely done...

In case you want true physical water, which is not possible with Unity (at least not at reasonable performance), take a look at here: http://developer.download.nvidia.com/assets/tools/docs/Fluid_Rendering_Alice.pdf

23. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Do you have an ETA for asset store release? What's very soon? 2 days, a week, a month?

24. chingwa

chingwa

@ImogenPoot - that Alice water demo is insane :D It actually has some very interesting techniques that could be adopted for rendering in unity, but like you said, I'm sure the performance would be hideous...

@ronan.thibaudau - If all goes well I'm planning on submitting to the asset store by the end of this month... so roughly 2 weeks... :)

25. elias_t

elias_t

chingwa, nice job! Would it be possible to simulate seashore waves with your water?

26. Venged

Venged

Will this work with the free version of Unity?

27. chingwa

chingwa

@elias_t - While shoreline waves aren't explicitly built in, it's certainly possible to texture swap them in and animate them in a realistic manner. This is something I had considered when first starting on Suimono, though other considerations moved me in other directions. I'll reconsider and at the very least will include a beach wave texture in the pack for those who would like to use it.

@Venged - I have reconsidered this. Initially I wasn't going to include Unity-Free compatibility, as it simply cannot compare in visual fidelity to the features that can be used in Pro. I've already built in a quality settings swapper that will allow you to switch between quality levels on the fly and I have also decided now to support the free version, albeit with some degradation in visual quality. I'll edit the first post of this thread to reflect that change.

28. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Very nice... this is kind of what I was asking about... I will have scenes that use Beast lit by a HDR and GI... but this will work just fine :) as long as I can get the ripples in the water for like lets say a body floating face down...

29. chingwa

chingwa

The water-ripple is light independent. So it will work whether you have scene lights, or whether you have baked. As long as your dead body has a collider and a rigidbody component, you'll see the ripple effect :)

30. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Would that include hitboxes on a fighter model?

31. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Hello,
    Just in case you do not have PM notifications active, just wanted to say i PMed you.
    Thanks.

32. LaneFox

LaneFox

Looks great so far!

33. RoyS

RoyS

This looks awesome and is on my "list" to purchase. Would it be possible to do waterfalls like in Skyrim or have a waterfall expansion pack?

34. Legacy

Legacy

Waterfalls are pretty simple to simulate especially skyrim style since the skyrim waterfalls are not interactive :) use a scrolling waterfall texture and some splash and mist particle systems and your all set :) i believe there is a waterfall package on the asset store pretty cheap.

35. chingwa

chingwa

@Neptune - Yes hitboxes should work. however if you have a large number of hit boxes in one object it possibly might overload the system. I've been thinking of adding a limiter system where you can decide how many splash/ripple effects that get generated per object.

@zerobounds - Thank you!

@RoyS - that's an interesting idea. Because waterfall geometry can be pretty specific to your game scene I'm not sure if it's a good idea to include premade waterfall elements in Suimono. However the shaders and materials can of course be applied to any geometry you wish. I have also been considering releasing some general splash/water particles with Suimono that could be used to build up interesting areas of water... like whirlpools, or rapids, or waterfall mist etc. However I will consider adding some generic waterfall geometry... anyone else feel the need for waterfalls?

@Legacy - yes exactly. However there is a big difference between a generic waterfall and one that is made to your scene specifically. What would be awesome is to have applied force once you enter the water... and as you get closer to the edge of a waterfall the force gets stronger and stronger so the character can't avoid falling over the edge. But I don't know how feasible this is to include in an asset like Suimono, that's trying to be customizeable to a large number of needs and situations.

36. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Definitely add a limiter because I have hitboxes on my characters, legs, arms, head, chest, and stomach and they are only triggered when there is a hit from another character... you should make it so that as long there is a collider on the model and a RBD, ripples will happen

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  37. ronan-thibaudau

ronan-thibaudau

Still hoping for end of month release?

38. virror

virror

Looking good! As lars earlier asked about the shoreline, there seems to only be a simple fading effect, if you look at the built in water4 shader it has a nice foam effect at the shore, would this be possible for you to implement in the future? Otherwise it look very, very good!

Edit: Also, is it possible to fade between presets, like fade from water to ice?

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  39. angel_m

angel_m

Looking good! As lars earlier asked about the shoreline, there seems to only be a simple fading effect, if you look at the built in water4 shader it has a nice foam effect at the shore, would this be possible for you to implement in the future? Otherwise it look very, very good!

+1

40. Samsson

Samsson

It looks really nice, what about the frame rate/optimisation and is it possible to see it in action via a demo ?

41. chingwa

chingwa

@Neptune_Imaging - yes, the ripples are triggered by any game object with a collider and rigidbody. I've spent part of the last week optimizing this system to a point I'm pretty happy with. Currently in my tests the physics engine for Unity get's bogged down long before the Suimono effect becomes a performance factor, so as long as your current physics calls aren't hampering the system, Suimono shouldn't add much additional overhead.

@ronan.thibaudau - Yes, still looking at a release around the end of August. I've been incognito recently trying to work out the final feature set and effects. But I do believe I'm still on track.

@virror angel_m - I took lars' comment to heart. Compared to the preview video I have now enhanced the shoreline quite a bit. It now features dynamic shoreline generation including a waterline as well as foam texture, customizeable to the color, opacity and width for each. It also now (finally) has true height-based depth when looking though the water surface from above and a depth approximation while "inside" the water from below. This has the additional benefit (which lars was getting at) of controlling the transition between the water and the shoreline. Fading between presets is something I considered early on but haven't included yet. It should be pretty straightforward to add this function though. It's a good idea. I'll definitely look into it before release. :)

@Samsson - Suimono is certainly more efficient than the built-in water, even with all of the additional features turned on (let's face it the included Water4 is a resource HOG!). That being said you can customize suimono to be even more efficient by turning off or not including features if you don't need them. You'll also be able to switch on -the-fly between preset quality levels that use shaders of differing complexity (at the cost of some visual quality). Once I have everything finalized and am ready to submit to the asset store I intend to post a webplayer demo online so that anyone interested can get a feel for the interaction/customability of Suimono.

Thanks for the interest everyone! I have been working silently the past week to bring this to completion and have also added a couple new features that haven't been brought up yet in this thread, I'll be posting an updated video preview in the next couple days I hope.

42. SevenBits

SevenBits

Exactly how much visual quality is lost by using Unity Free?

43. Mihai93

Mihai93

when you relase it?

44. chingwa

chingwa

@SevenBits - This is still yet to be determined. I haven't yet finalized the Full Shader so can't say for certain what the basic shader will have. But certainly any refraction effects you see in the demo video (underwater refraction, ripple refraction) will not be possible with the Free version of unity as this effect requires RenderTexture functionality in the engine, which Unity Free unfortunately lacks.

@Mihai93 - Very Soon! :) I'm looking at the end of this month.

45. Mihai93

Mihai93

another question how much is the price?

46. chingwa

chingwa

The final price is yet to be decided, though I mentioned earlier in this thread it would probably range somewhere between $45 and $65.

47. virror

virror

Sounds very good!
    Is it possible to do smooth translations from water to ice as an example? Like if i ant to have different seasons in the game?

48. chingwa

chingwa

Yes I'm actually building in a preset transition function this evening. You can set a target preset and a duration for the transition. The only issue with going from water to ice is the different physics setting... currently I have this change set to happen after the end of the final transition, so even though it will look like ice, it won't behave like it until the very end. Of course if you set a short transition time then this isn't so much of an issue.

49. virror

virror

Cool! Just what i want ; )

50. kurotatsu

kurotatsu

I'm watching the month wind down, and am excited for it's release. I've been waiting and watching and have my $65 armed and ready.(lol, actually I know a whole group of ppl armed and ready to buy this.)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.