Unity Community

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

1. Posts

Game development team needed

Hi, Im in the need of a game development team to help me make my game. The team will need to be capable of making every part of the game (with the exception of art and music, which isn't a requirement), so the team will need coders, 3d modellers, every role there is to fully making a game. It doesn't matter what coding language you use, but Id preferably like it to be able to ship out to Macs as well as PC's. It also doesn't matter what engine you want to use, what programs you use, thats all your personal preference, as long as it can make the game to my requirements, thats fine. The game you'll be making is about as advanced as games such as DayZ, so a team with some kind of advanced skills will be needed. We'll discuss pricing if you chose to help me with my game, and there I'll also tell you more about the game.

Thanks for reading and I'll be looking forward to hearing your responses
    Tom

EDIT: SO a lot of you wanted a bigger description of what the game is, well, here it is-

Okay, so the game is basically a hardcore survival game, in the kind of style as DayZ, so killing isn't your first option. The game setting is a post apocalyptic world, full of destroyed cities, barren wastelands, and every so often and beautiful natural utopia untouched by man. The world will be completely randomly generated, and feature fully explorable buildings (so every building you see can be explored). The aim of the game is simply to survive, and this is done with a few important elements which are needed for your survival-
    Food- Everyday you will need to eat, and so I'm making the choice of food rather large, but a lot of that food would only be eaten as a last resort. The food will include normal 'human' food which can be looted out of buildings, animals which can be hunted, crops and fruits, and as a last resort, other survivors (I know, its horrible, but its a post apocalyptic situation. I got the idea of it from fallout NV)
    Water- To make the game a bit easier, water won't be essential for survival, but without it the player can become very run down and might faint every so often. It is obtainable in the same way as food, from loot, rivers and other water sources, or (because water makes up around 90% of it) again as a last resort, other survivors blood * I know some of these elements are a bit disguising and sick, but I want the player to feel like they are in the situation and give them the option but make them think about it
    Shelter- Shelter can be obtained in a number of ways. It can be built out of basic pieces like corrugated iron sheets (these are made in a spore style building creator so you have the freedom to make it look how you want. Supplies are found or created using ores, but it won't be minecraft style at all. However, materials are very sparse). Or, you can fortify and build up from existing buildings, allowing for a quick and easy shelter.
    Sanity- Yes, there will be sanity in this game, but not enough that it kills you. As your in a post apocalyptic situation, you will probably go insane, especially if your living in a house with zombies smashing down your door, paranoia will take over. Sanity will not effect you much, only flickers of strange figures and seconds of random sound clips, until you get to the top of the insanity level, which causes wild hallucinations. An example of this is that you might walk out your house, and you see nothing. You go walking along, and then suddenly snap back and realise you were hallucinating, and that theres zombies ripping you apart!

This game will not be easy, I'm making it as unfair on the player as possible. There won't be quests, its open world sandbox survival.

The mobs will include zombies (of various speeds, intelligence and perceptiveness)
    An enderman like mob (these will be tall, slim figures that are very rare. They are passive until you look at them. Then they just stare. However, the difference between these an endermen is that these have some weird connection, so you look at one, and all of them in a large area will begin hunting you down. These are very rare, but if you look at one, they will not stop until either they're all dead or your dead!
    crazed survivors
    And more...

(P.s. If this seem copy and pasted its because I got it from my thread on another forum where I have posted about it)
    Last edited by ostrich160; 08-11-2012 at 04:32 PM.

2. Location
    West Virginia,USA
    Hope you have some serious cash to throw around to complete this task. GUI alone will cost you nearly 1k.

3. Posts
    oh yeh defiantly, Im (hopefully) funding the devs via kickstarter, so if all goes to plan Im hoping to pay the devs at least 10k, at least

4. Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Do you have funds right now to pay a team?

If not, promise of future payment or anything like "profit sharing" belongs in the Collaboration forum.

5. Posts
    Well yes and no I suppose. I don't have the funds right now, but I won't get the team to work until I have.

6. Location
    Wisconsin, USA
    Hence the dilemma of indie development.

We all have ideas that we're "sure" will make loads of money. Post your idea in the Collab forum, get people excited and willing to work on it (I strongly suggest you develop skills yourself as well). Then, when you have something presentable, begin to seek funding.

Good luck.

7. Posts
    So basically what you want is this:

1) I have no idea what I am doing
    2) I want to gather people to make my game, because I have no idea
    3) I pay them a minimal amount of money
    4) I will get rich...

Good luck

8. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ImogenPoot View Post
    So basically what you want is this:

1) I have no idea what I am doing
    2) I want to gather people to make my game, because I have no idea
    3) I pay them a minimal amount of money
    4) I will get rich...

Good luck
    No, not at all, but I know I can't make this alone. This is a complicated game, you've heard the phrase of minecraft 'made by a single man'. Its an amazing feat that he made a game alone, how am I supposed to make a game alone thats much more complicated. And Im not paying the devs minimal money, if everything goes to play Ill be paying them (depending on what goal I chose to go with on my kickstarter) anywhere between 30k-70k. I do know what I'm doing, I just can't do it alone. Theres method to my madness XD

Quote Originally Posted by khanstruct View Post
    Hence the dilemma of indie development.

We all have ideas that we're "sure" will make loads of money. Post your idea in the Collab forum, get people excited and willing to work on it (I strongly suggest you develop skills yourself as well). Then, when you have something presentable, begin to seek funding.

Good luck.
    Yeh I might go make a post in the collab section, Im in no hurry though, in fact I need to wait until fall for Kickstarter UK to be released, so I have plenty of time

9. Location
    New Hampshire
    No one will want to help unless they know much more about the game.

Want an easy way to boot Linux from a USB drives on Mac? Like, you don't need to install or change a thing easy? I thought so. Try Mac Linux USB Loader!
    (And the forum thread)

US President Obama wants to hand over the Internet to a multinational body. Sign the petition to keep the web free!

10. Location
    Germany
    What would be your role in the team exactly?
    Do you have any defined documents already?
    You should add more info to this.
    1. You will post it on Kickstarter anyway so the idea will be public then.
    2. People have different skills and likes so some will not write you because they donīt know what you gonna do.
    3. Your Idea will not be so super awesome that someone could steal it and develop it befor you did.

11. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SevenBits View Post
    No one will want to help unless they know much more about the game.
    I was planning on telling them in the email if they're interesting, but I suppose I could post it on here

Quote Originally Posted by EyecyArt View Post
    What would be your role in the team exactly?
    Do you have any defined documents already?
    You should add more info to this.
    1. You will post it on Kickstarter anyway so the idea will be public then.
    2. People have different skills and likes so some will not write you because they donīt know what you gonna do.
    3. Your Idea will not be so super awesome that someone could steal it and develop it befor you did.
    Im project leader, and yeh I'll post up my game idea

12. Location
    Washington State
    *scratches head* OK you post in the section for paid dev but give little to no detail on what you are doing and asking for an entire team? Honestly I think you should go to the colab section, post more info and look for a team there, post some stuff, story, little art etc etc THEN once thats done and you have people helping "fultime" come here. I run an indie company as well and we decided to use Unity3D and even with some core story, artwork, music work, concept and even promo 3D stuff as owner/project leader I wouldn't instantly jump here cause I have no way of saying "Sure you will get X amount as soon as we make it" cause there is no garantee in this market especially if the project leader IE YOU are THIS VAGUE. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I have done the SAMETHING many times on other forums...and it just makes you look 1: Like a fool. 2: Like your trying to possible take credit for others work. 3: Sit and "manage" a "project" while you don't do anything. Sorry if it comes off rude but it's how it looks to us.
    Owner and founder of NeoSpawn Games. 3D Artist.

13. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Keiyentai View Post
    *scratches head* OK you post in the section for paid dev but give little to no detail on what you are doing and asking for an entire team? Honestly I think you should go to the colab section, post more info and look for a team there, post some stuff, story, little art etc etc THEN once thats done and you have people helping "fultime" come here. I run an indie company as well and we decided to use Unity3D and even with some core story, artwork, music work, concept and even promo 3D stuff as owner/project leader I wouldn't instantly jump here cause I have no way of saying "Sure you will get X amount as soon as we make it" cause there is no garantee in this market especially if the project leader IE YOU are THIS VAGUE. Sorry if this sounds harsh but I have done the SAMETHING many times on other forums...and it just makes you look 1: Like a fool. 2: Like your trying to possible take credit for others work. 3: Sit and "manage" a "project" while you don't do anything. Sorry if it comes off rude but it's how it looks to us.
    Well the reason I don't want to post in the collab section is because I like my idea as it is, I want to 'hire' lets say a team because then they contribute ideas and I decide whether or not to use them, but when I have other people in the team my idea gets changed, as the phrase goes 'A camel is a horse designed by committee'. I like my idea and don't want it changed because one man in the group wants it more FPS like and another wants persistent worlds, I want to hire a team and decide what the game is myself, sure my team can suggest ideas but I want the freedom to decide whether or not they go into the game. Yes you are right I have been very vague and Im about to edit my post to tell you much more about what the game is, but what you've got to remember here is people will want to work for me more so because its their job and its a source of income than because they like the idea, sure if they hate the idea they might not want to do it but with our current economy its hard to put off job opportunities because you don't like their ideas. The reason Im asking for an entire team is because an entire team would have worked together for years, where sticking a load of random people together could cause problems. Imagine a team like components in a computer, some parts don't work well together, but if you buy all the parts from the same manufacturer they work perfectly.

Either way, thank you for your helpful advice, I do realise I have been very vague and Ill rectify that right now

14. Location
    Land of Sushi and Geisha
    Just a friendly advice. Stick to playing games!

Making games is a really expensive and time consuming task. And if you have no money or own experience, this is doomed to fail.

15. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by nipoco View Post
    Just a friendly advice. Stick to playing games!

Making games is a really expensive and time consuming task. And if you have no money or own experience, this is doomed to fail.
    No, Ive got a idea, a dream if you will and Im gonna make it happen, I just thought the people of the unity forums would offer more helpful and constructive advice, but its clear to me that a lot of you actually want me to fail

16. Location
    COSTA MESA, CA. USA
    i guess this thread is going to be closed pretty soon ... Just listen to them and open a new thread in the collaboration section. Hope you ll be funded on you kickstarter stuff... But you really need to already have a team or a heavy game design documents or evidences that this project can happen to be able to raise a big amount of fund so that you can actually pay a team ....
    Good luck

17. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rosor View Post
    i guess this thread is going to be closed pretty soon ... Just listen to them and open a new thread in the collaboration section. Hope you ll be funded on you kickstarter stuff... But you really need to already have a team or a heavy game design documents or evidences that this project can happen to be able to raise a big amount of fund so that you can actually pay a team ....
    Good luck
    I wish I did already have a team, but nobody I know is into game development, but I've got some contact with one team who should be able to help me out so they're looking good. Your right though, whether I post this in Collab or not, I need more information for developers. Thanks

18. Location
    Land of Sushi and Geisha
    Quote Originally Posted by ostrich160 View Post
    No, Ive got a idea, a dream if you will and Im gonna make it happen, I just thought the people of the unity forums would offer more helpful and constructive advice, but its clear to me that a lot of you actually want me to fail
    Did you ever lead a team of people from different countries?
    Did you ever create a small game by your own. So that you have a basic understanding how games development works?
    Do you have a complete GDD?
    Is this really well thought out? I mean, you need to know how to handle the networks, server, in game economics etc.
    Are you aware of the fact, that a game with such size and complexity will cost several hundred thousand dollars and at least 2 years development time?

If there is only one question you can answer with no, then you should really rethink your idea and start smaller.

Really, I don't want to shatter your dreams. But everyone thinks he has a great idea. That alone isn't enough.
    I'm an artist. And I can't tell my wife "Honey, I going to work for free because a random guy on the internet has a idea" I need something that brings food on the table, you know.

Can I ask you how old you are?
    Last edited by nipoco; 08-11-2012 at 05:12 PM.

19. Location
    Washington State
    ostrich160 in no means am I trying to smash your dream man. None what so ever. I have one to all I am saying is post SOME work not all of it. The Edit you made is a great start. All I am trying to say is get a small group get some core stuff done maybe some models of "the main guy" or what ever it maybe and a section a char might go to and a couple people who can spend more then 1-2 hours total on said project then come here or start a Kickstarter. Also stating you don't even know what engine to use on the Unity forums is kind of odd is all since Unity3D it's self is a very capable engine if you look in to it. I was the same way "no way sticking with UDK or this etc etc etc" took me a while to finally see just how powerful Unity3D actually is and when 4.0 comes out it's just going to get better. All I'm saying man. Just trying to help not kill a dream. I am actually going to post a thread collab for help myself cause as it stand's I am the only "fulltime" 3D modeler on my team and when it comes to making people not my strong point...don't even ask me to rig them well....if I came off rude I'm sorry I am just trying to make it so you don't come off as some one who is trying to just sit and get credit for possibly doing squat if that make's sense.

I like the idea though. It's cool. I say post some info in collab ask for some help post what YOU can do and see what happens man. Good luck
    Owner and founder of NeoSpawn Games. 3D Artist.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast