Search Unity

Om Mani Padme Hum - WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Gobla, Aug 10, 2012.

1. Gobla

Gobla

London 1873. Your parents died from a meteor impact at night on your house when you were 15 years old. The meteor set the house on fire killing both your parents. You where the only one that could be saved. All over London there was a sighting of a purple fireball that could have been the meteor. The meteor was later retrieved and was determined to be composed mainly out of the metal Indium. An uncle and aunt of you take you into foster after your parents died. The first few months you are terrorized by nightmares of the fatal day.

Your uncle is a private teacher of medicine. When you were 18 years old your aunt died of tuberculosis leaving your uncle and you behind alone. From here you follow private lessons from your uncle together with other students. With your uncle and the other students you come to the discussion of this ancient religion called Buddhism. You are interested in this religion and think it could be beneficial for yourself. So Intrigued by this, your uncle decided that he is about to venture to the far east after he finished studying the last student for that year. He agreed that you came along.

You finally are able to get to a specific Temple where they allow outsiders to join as a monk as long as one would stay there for at least one year and participate in all activities as a monk. After consulting with your uncle he agreed that you can stay there for one year. Since staying in the temple seemed a bit too much to handle, your uncle promised that after this year he will pick you up again. Right before he leaves he hands you over the meteorite that killed your parents. He says that he kept it ever since that day and was going to give it to you when you where ready.

After slowly getting used to the regular activities and learning a lot about Buddhism you slowly start to have nightmares again about the fatal night your parents died. After about 3 months in the temple on a not so very special day you begin your daily activities. When you go for the morning group meditation you get into a deep meditation.

You begin to hear wind rush by and slowly open your eyes seeing yourself in the sky rapidly falling to the ground. After being almost certain that this fall is going to mean death you look around seeing a purple flash. You close your eyes moments for hitting the ground. You slowly open your eyes seeing vaguely the surrounding around you. All bruised up and barely able to breathe or see, you see a big flaming purple ball rushing trough the sky right before your eyes shut once more and pass out.

Genre: A new perspective to open world RPG.

If you think you can help with this game, please contact me (PM/mail).

*Sorry for any grammar and or spelling mistakes.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  2. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Sounds cool and interesting! What age will this be set in? Nice teaser screenshot btw ;)

3. Gobla

Gobla

The game starts in 1873 London (Victorian age). This part of the game will have a small role however we are looking at the possibilities of typical Victorian age items/references/fantasy.

The biggest part of the game will be set in a mixed climate area in Asia where technology is not far advanced at all. You can almost say that that area is still living in the middle-ages (however within an Asian setting).

Thanks about the screenshot.

4. Gobla

Gobla

Early (low quality) scene of a rough area in the game.

*Sorry for being so nervous with the mouse, next video should be a lot smoother.

5. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Character is small or the environment is too large in its details. Makes everything look odd. When you see the character walk by bushes and trees hes barely bigger than the base of the tree

6. Gobla

Gobla

Good point indeed, the bigger trees with the very wide bases will be reduced in size in the future. However once in a while a very large tree will pop up. Most trees will become about the same size as the smaller trees that are now visible in the video.

All feedback is welcome. If it is something useful I'll be very happy about it.

7. Gobla

Gobla

Since our current modeller doesn't have a lot of time to always work on this project, I've started to make some (very basic) models myself to speed up the process. He will finish the models after I've made the basic design. There is still a lot that can go better on these models, but I am pleased as a complete novice of what I've been able to do so far.

Also, If you are a modeller and want to help, please contact me trough PM or e-mail.

Also the terrain had a small update with other textures which make it more suitable for an Asian setting.
    In scene:

Close-up:

Last edited: Aug 11, 2012
  8. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Dont worry about models, everyone concerns themselves so much with models and making the game "pretty" off the bat. This is a big pitfall in my opinion. Focus on getting the core mechanics going, who cares if its a flat plane. Once the mechanics are in place they will work anywhere.

9. Gobla

Gobla

Finally found the bug for the road generation. It's still far from perfect but it gives a good idea of the capabilities. Now back to studying for that damn exam.

10. Gobla

Gobla

I've been working on the ponds and roads. The ponds are now very simple and can be upgraded later on. For the ponds I have an example below :

Also an example of some rough terrain:

And an example with the first tests of overhanging cliffs and rocks:

True point. That process is also in the running. A big aspect of the game is going to be the atmosphere. The world gets populated with "interactables" so the game mechanics can use these later on.

Any feedback on any of this is welcome.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  11. tzvier

tzvier

The world is beautiful. the fact that it's auto-generated is awesome. I actually want to just walk around and look at stuff. In the video, when you're at the statue, the effect there is very cool. I want to explore this space!

What is the target for this? Webplayer, Standalone? Probably not mobile?

12. Gobla

Gobla

Thanks about the exploration part. That is one of the goals of this game. At the moment the aim is standalone.

And actually the aim is to keep the memory usage as low as possible to also try to run the game or just the generator on mobile. In a very early version we made an android APK. No weather system, no detaillayers so no grass or foilage, low amount of trees, smaller terrain chunks, ect. made it possible to sometimes generate a world on a Samsung Galaxy SII. This was only the case of the terrain memory usage was very low. FPS where then more then enough ~ 50fps however there was no way of moving around. The biggest issue was the memory.

A lot of measures are being taken to make the GFX as scalable as possible for all platforms (and possibly mobile).

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  13. tzvier

tzvier

So are you trying to make the whole game as scalable as possible, or primarily just the terrain generation? Will you release the terrain generation to the Asset Store?

I am very curious to see this develop.

14. Gobla

Gobla

The main focus of the scalability is going to be the terrain (and all its objects in it). However we also aim for the rest of the game. Putting (a modded version of) the terrain generator in the asset store is in consideration. However this will not happen until the game is completed.

15. Gobla

Gobla

Game mechanics are being introduced. First the basic ones like health, fall damage, other damage, death, reincarnation, etc. After these are set basic combat mechanics are being programmed or a start for questing mechanics.

Any tips on priorities for the mechanics?

16. Gobla

Gobla

Gui disabled for the following auto-generated terrain. The trees are all stock package trees until more of the game mechanics have been completed. With all the slender attention I could say that the current scenes wouldn't be bad in such a game.

Also I would like to bring to the attention that our sound engineer is publishing some of his music for free under a creative commons license. Which means you are free to use it as long as you attribute the music in your work to him. About 13 songs are online right now, but there will be more in the following days to weeks:

http://timbeek.com/

Last edited: Sep 10, 2012
  17. Gobla

Gobla

A small note. A new version of the terrain generation engine will be made in a couple of weeks due to performance limitations. The current version is able to generate terrain like above in realtime and will be stored away nicely and later be decided on if it will hit the asset store or not. The versions coming after this one will require the pro version of unity.

18. Gobla

Gobla

This project is still active, however "Mini Tank Battles" has some priority now.

But a sign of the activeness:
    A live terrain generation rendering test. HD quality may not yet be available since it is just uploaded.

A bit more info:
    - Rendering is done on a 2Ghz quadcore laptop with a (simple) ATI Mobility Videocard.
    - All terrain is generated and rendered live.
    - Flight for this test is about 3-4x as fast as walking.
    - Caching of the terrain is off.
    - This is not the final version of the terrain, this is just a live generation render test.
    - The music under the clip is free music made by Tim Beek (http://www.timbeek.com). This music is not meant for the final version of the game.

Small edit:
    I see that on some displays the night scene is extremely dark. My apologies.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  19. Gobla

Gobla

There is some improvement in the terrain engine mainly aimed at maintain formation. Gameplay wise Mini Tank Battles still has the priority at the moment.

http://imgur.com/a/HFkLJ#9