Search Unity

Posting rules

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Graham-Dunnett, Aug 8, 2012.

1. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Dear Community,

We have had a few cases of forum members starting threads which they later wish they had not started. They then contact admin/mods asking for their thread to be deleted. Note that we will not delete threads purely because a poster is embarrassed about what they wrote. Please only post on the site if you are comfortable living with what you write being public. Posters can of course edit their posts, but we consider this bad form. Posters who do this frequently will get warned and then banned if they continue.

Thanks,
    Graham

2. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

Hi everyone!

I'd like to add that there will be a set of forum rules and regulations coming soon. This will make it easy for the community to understand what is and isn't accepted, as well as giving mods and admins guidelines so that every reported case is treated equally. There is no set release date on these rules, but please be patient while the Unity team work hard to continue to make this an awesome resource.

Thanks
    Aurore

3. roger0

roger0

Just wondering. How come the OP is not aloud to delete their own threads? This appears to be the same across the internet. Youtube lets you delete your own videos.....

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  4. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

You can't delete your own threads because you are potentially also deleting other people's posts within the thread. If no one has replied to your thread yet though you can delete your original post and the thread will disappear.

5. david.bennett

david.bennett

How do you delete such a post (a post that no one has yet replied to)?

6. Ctls_Rajesh

Ctls_Rajesh

Wonderful news...But How to delete any post...

7. goat

goat

What? That's a policy make by those that want to play a tit-for-tat, he-said / she-said scenario. And if editing or removing a post embarrasses or makes some of the surrounding posts look bad, so what. Those that have that much time to notice such rare occurrences either moderate forums for a living or really, probably, need not spend so much time in the forums. Ahem, as I look at myself nearing 2000 posts, I, myself, haven't happened upon that scenario by another, although I did remove some posts of mine or edit them later. Cleaning up after yourself is civil behavior. You want the comfort of a static environment try living on the other side of the void.

And what kind of world where you can't apologize for making a mistake or being occasionally mean? Unity forums have ignore lists to ban those that are habitually asinine as I finally had to two with 2 posters complaining about Unity download sizes. I've read posts of over forums users threatening violence and other things. If they edit those posts records are kept if legally needed but to leave if their suggests such a poster thinks such behavior is acceptable when it is not. Violent, insulting, and demeaning advertising, games, movies, and other entertainment media is not a good reason to abandon civil behavior or cool in real-life attempts to emulate such horrid attitudes, even if it's only linguistically.

Just removing a post that embarrasses the OP or another poster? Too many people talk in forums too much like they dreamed of being lawyers as kids as if forums are some type of legal code.

I'd would have welcomed apologies from the last 4 family tenants of the apartments that neighbor my apartment, as they proceeded one by one to flaunt the legally binding lease agreements they signed and treat their neighbors with contempt and disrespect as each family got themselves evicted. I would have then had reason to believe they're not doing the same things to whomever their new neighbors might be.

And yes, it's true, families with children getting evicted, oh but they were oh so cool with their Simpsons attitude before they got evicted. And although I'm angling to move into a house and be done with apartments for good; family number 5 have been working on their eviction for the past two months and it's takes months to get yourself evicted if that's any indication to how bad their behavior is.

So edit your inciting, insulting, demeaning, embarrassing, or just plain dumb posts and show the world you think about what you say, if not always enough before you say it.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  8. SteveJ

SteveJ

I would love to be able to delete other user's ranty posts that have nothing to do with the topic. Is there any chance of that becoming an option? :)