Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

TerraUnity - Earth Simulation, GIS, Realistic Game Worlds [RELEASED]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TerraUnity, Aug 6, 2012.

1. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Hi All, 1st Post - 1st Release

It's now your chance to design and create your game world by using real world data files and bring the scene visuals up to the level which gets as realistic as it can go like big companies do.

TerraUnity products are a set of tools for simulating and visualizing any part of The Earth using GIS Data acquired by NASA and other geospatial data sources. Apparently, in TerraUnity GIS Data Manipulation is limited in the means of Game Development.

TerraLand

TerraTrees

TerraCity

TerraLand

$Forum_Header_TerraLand.jpg

Demo Project Download

TerraLand plugin contains of multiple components which use GIS data & coordinates to load & create Photo-Realistic Terrain from any part of the Earth within a few clicks.

The package is Unity 5.x & Unity 4.x compatible.

Download Help & Documentation Files

Featuring TerraLand Tournament Demo Scene

TerraLand Tournament Is A Driving Simulator In The Desert of White Rim Trail, Utah, USA.

Wanna Try The Game...! Click Here

The Game Can Be Played In 3 Modes of Race, Free Ride & Tour With 3 Vehicles Types of ATV, DPV & SUV Which Have Customized Physics, Sounds & Behaviors.

Full Source Code & Project Files Will Be Available To TerraLand Customers

Already A Customer? Login To Your Account On terraunity.com & Download Project Files

TerraLand Tournament Discussion Thread

More Info: TerraLand Product
    Official Forum Post: TerraLand Forum Post

Buy From:
    TerraUnity Webstore US$ 59
    Asset Store US$ 59

TerraTrees

$Forum_Header_TerraTrees.jpg

Demo Project Download

Put Any Kind of Vegetation Tree On Your Terrain With An Integrated Intelligent System In Order To Create Stunning Environments Landscapes As Fast As Possible.

More Info: TerraTrees Product
    Official Forum Post: TerraTrees Forum Post

Buy From:
    TerraUnity Webstore US$ 125
    Asset Store US$ 125

Free Lite Version:
    TerraTrees Lite TerraUnity.com
    TerraTrees Lite Asset Store

TerraCity

$Forum_Header_TerraCity.jpg

Demo Project Download

Quickly Create Complex Cities By Altering Various Options And Placement Based On User Created Maps. Keep in mind that TerraCity is still not a GIS Data beneficiary product.

More Info: TerraCity Product
    Official Forum Post: TerraCity Forum Post

Buy From:
    TerraUnity Webstore US$ 169
    Asset Store US$ 175

Free Lite Version:
    TerraCity Lite TerraUnity.com
    TerraCity Lite Asset Store

Terra +3

$Forum_Header_Terra+3.jpg

3 In 1 Discounted package including the latest TerraLand, TerraTrees TerraCity plugins.

Terra +3 will take your game worlds into Simulations, Virtual Reality Scenes, Real World Condition Trainings, Flight Simulators and so on as far as your imagination goes.

More Info: Terra +3 Product
    Official Forum Post: Terra +3 Forum Post

Buy From:
    TerraUnity Webstore US$ 375
    Asset Store US$ 375

Help Documentation

Downloads: TerraUnity Downloads
    Online Help: TerraUnity Online Help
    FAQ: TerraUnity FAQ

Online Demo

TerraLand Live Demo: TerraLand Webplayer
    TerraTrees Live Demo: TerraTrees Webplayer
    TerraCity Live Demo: TerraCity Webplayer

Go to www.terraunity.com and download TerraTrees Lite TerraCity Lite to get familiar with these products.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2016
  2. KatanaSim

KatanaSim

You guys must be reading my mind. I've been researching CityEngine for a while and what you describe is exactly what I need.

Is there any estimate on release date?
    Price options?
    Any plan to have TerraCity being georeferenced?
    What other sources besides NASA images/data will you support?
    Any plans for kml or OpenStreetMap imports?
    Is TerraLand Lite already available as a demo? I only found TerraCity and TerraTrees on your website.

I basically need the terrain, buildings and road networks of real cities in Unity. If you can make that a painless process, I'll throw money at you.

Looking forward to your release and future development.
    -Sebas

Edit: Upon my first tests with TerraTrees and Terra Cities I can see those tools being useful with some good documentation. So far I was able to place one type of building in a regular grid across my terrain and a ~150000 trees to make my terrain a dense forest :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  3. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Hi Sebas, Glad you found interest in our products.

We are now busy working on our website and I think the store will be available in the next 2 weeks if everything goes well.

I can't tell you the exact prices now, but we're reviewing our plans and community opinions.

This is exactly in our project pipeline, but as this process needs a lot of file converting/translating and it's generally a complicated procedure (The best data file format which I'm aware of is Building Shapefiles to get this feature), so I can't tell you whether it's generally applicable in Unity or it's going to release on an exact date.

Generally, GIS data usage in TerraUnity products are limited to:

Terrain Heightmaps form any sources with Unity's native heightmap supported format which is ".raw", however TerraLand directly downloads heighmaps from NASA with the format of "BIL16INT" based on given lat long (Inside US territory) which this file is the same as RAW and only needs to be renamed from .bil to .raw to work in Unity without any external GIS softwares, else you first need to convert it to RAW format by available GIS data converters.

Satellite Images with any texture formats that Unity supports, you just need to know the area's TopLeft BottomRight Corner Latitude Longitude.

kml is not in our list up to now but OpenStreetMap will be in usage of our future product to mostly generate roads and streets.

No, as you said only TerraTrees TerraCity have Lite versions available and TerraLand will be a buying product as we can't limit its features to be Lite.

I think now you know which parts of your request will be doable in our present and future products, but any negotiations based on your project requests are welcomed.

One of our main goals in TerraUnity products is simplicity, all products tried to be user-friendly and to have graphical GUI with various hints for the user to easily step ahead. Full documentations will be there upon products releases. In TerraCity Lite you can have as many as buildings you wish to have in "Houses" folder under "TerraCity" folder in Resources and the placement is as you've described. In TerraTrees Lite you can only have 1 type of vegetation for simultaneous placement again in a regular grid, but adjustable density and unlimited number for trees as far as Unity can handle.
    All these limitations are because you are in Lite, you will unlock all feature variations after purchasing the pro version.

One last note is that CityEngine is a robust city maker which is based on creating building meshes from GIS data, but TerraCity is basically a building texturizer and placer based on user created maps and uses your prepared 3d models, so it doesn't generate any models for you up until now. Please check out these Lite versions to see the features with pro icon beside them that can be unlocked.

Hope I've helped :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2012
  4. KatanaSim

KatanaSim

Thanks, that's very helpful. I'm looking forward to seeing how your product evolves over time. I'll be watching your progress closely.
    kml/kmz would be very helpful for an easy workflow with Google Earth.
    US territory only would be not enough for my projects, but I simply need to find some sources for heightmaps from other countries.

Cheers,
    Sebas

5. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I think that lite versions of TerraCity and TerraTrees are missing 3D models of houses and trees. How can I use TerraCity and TerraTrees?

6. jasonkaler

jasonkaler

Just curious, is such data available of Mars?

7. pneill

pneill

Yeah, I could not for the life of me figure out how to add a house model in TerraCity. Never could get it to generate anything because you need at least on house model. :-(

8. Olafson

Olafson

This is really great. I was hoping for something like that since a long time. Basically, what we need is exactly what you offer. We need real world height data information for our game. We would really like stepping right into action and would be glad to buy your software as soon as it is available.

I guess terra trees does not place trees where they are in reality, i.e. it does not place a forest where in reality there is a forest? As I understood, terra trees only places trees all over the terrain?

Can't wait for it to be released. It is looking great!

9. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Sebas
    welcome sebas, we'll check if we can implement kml/kmz support, it's been years since I didn't touch kml api. The bad news is I've checked out USGS seamless server website which was the source to download elevation data in TerraLand and unfortunately they have moved the viewer to another service which doesn't give access to the data by lat long or maybe I'm wrong!... If that's true, so this will make the downloader in TerraLand useless. Really bad timing :(

Source: http://nationalmap.gov/viewer.html
    Let's see what we can do about it.

10. kenshin

kenshin

Really great!

Keep up the good work!

11. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@jeffmorris1956
    @pneill
    In fact, there are no 3d models available for you in whether Lite or Pro packages at all, You must have your own models and import them in Unity to get them used by these products, that's why it gives you a warning about having at least 1 model in Houses folder. I think the concept is clear that we don't offer any 3d models, but they are plugins to manage your prepared 3d models.

In TerraCity, when you import the package into Unity, find "Houses" folder by this order:
    Resources => Terranity => TerraCity => Building-Models => Sub-Urban => Houses
    There, create prefabs for your 3d building models and you are ready to go.

In TerraTrees, just import your 3d models of trees in Unity and add them to your terrain system from inside TerraTrees GUI.

I've added a little guide to use TerraTrees Lite TerraCity Lite in the 1st post.

12. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@jasonkaler
    I've never dig into that subject, but I think you can at least find the elevation data for Mars through the net, especially from NASA resources. but for land images I'm not sure you can find them as public.

13. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Olafson
    Nice to hear that our products are useful for you. Using height data in TerraLand is easy to use and applicable.

No, that's not true. Actually TerraTrees can place trees where they are in reality. Placing the trees on entire terrain is the limitation of TerraTrees Lite. In TerraTrees you'll notice the field for "YOUR SATELLITE IMAGE/MAP" which is the key for the subject.

We have been working a lot to make it the most automatic process available with featuring the new technology "Intelligent Trees". Generally TerraTrees can handle the placement in 3 conditions which are: "Intelligent Trees", "Mapping Trees" and "Normal Trees". Below are quick descriptions of TerraTrees placement modes.

Intelligent Trees: This is the default mode for vegetation placement. You just need to insert the area's satellite image or aerial photo in the "YOUR SATELLITE IMAGE/MAP" field and TerraTrees will automatically detect where to put the vegetation on terrain. This process involves the reading of image pixels and decides where to act the placement. However, sometimes you may need a little editing in the end.

Mapping Trees: If you have your vegetation-map/tree-map from GIS databases for your desired area or created your own map in an image editing software, you just need to insert it in TerraTrees instead of satellite image. By expanding the "MODE SWITCH" option, a color picker will be available there, so you have to pick the color which the placement will be occurred and that's all you have to do to define placement zone.

Normal Trees: It's the same as TerraTrees Lite which doesn't need any images/maps and the placement covers the entire terrain at first place, but plus other pro options you may have some variations if you play with "ENVIRONMENT SETTINGS" so you may end up with empty areas of placement also.

We'll keep you updated about product descriptions and full features when the store is ready :)

@kenshin
    Thanks dude :)

Last edited: Aug 8, 2012
  14. Olafson

Olafson

That sounds totally awesome! We will buy it for sure. We always wanted to get real world data into our game but never really knew how to do it in a quick and satisfying way, your Asset just solved all our problems.

Thanks for creating it, I am more than looking forward to this.

15. pneill

pneill

Does terracity require a unity terrain object? I'd much rather us some geometry that I create to keep the polycount low.

16. KatanaSim

KatanaSim

17. caldrin

caldrin

sounds really good.. cant wait for this to be available :)

18. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Olafson
    I'm so glad you like this, we'll keep you updated :)

@pneill
    Yes, TerraCity needs a terrain to get heights from it and put the buildings exactly on terrain surface. I think terrains work better in the field of LOD and polycount management if you set the right settings for your terrain, but if you insist on using a mesh instead, one solution is to convert your geometry to terrain, place buildings and then use your geometry back again in the scene. If area surface is fully flat you can use a flat terrain. Generally, TerraCity needs a terrain to put the buildings on its surface at the first place.

19. jeffmorris1956

jeffmorris1956

I created 3D model of a house in 3D Studio MAX and exported it to FBX file. When I import the house into Unity 3D and run the TerraCity script which is part of the TerraUnity product, the houses are placed on their sides. If I export the house to 3DS file and import it into Unity 3D, the house is correctly placed. I tried the "Z-Up" and "Y-Up" options in FBX export setting window. How can I fix the problem?

20. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Sebas
    Thanks for posting the link Sebas, but it's not free as USGS was and also it still misses the ability to export data at exact lat long coordinates.

As USGS announced the retirement of the old viewer as follows:
    So we still can use TerraLand heightmap downloader for more than 2 months and for the new viewer, we can wait for the API to be released as mentioned here: http://viewer.nationalmap.gov/help/index.php?faqID=158
    OpenStreetMap would be in our pipeline soon ;)

@caldrin
    Thanks caldrin, keep in touch :)

21. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@jeffmorris1956
    This issue is not related to TerraCity at all and if your models have imported correctly in Unity, it won't be any problems for placement. This is not because 3ds Max FBX importer axis conversion alone and as you said it won't change the direction and doesn't solve the problem. Instead you have to change the Pivot Point rotation.

To overcome this issue, do the following:

In 3ds Max, select your model => go to Hierarchy panel => select Pivot tab => enable "Affect Pivot Only" => press "E" or rotate the x axis of the pivot to 90.

That's all, export the model as FBX with the exporter's default settings and now it should be imported into unity with no problems.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2012
  22. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Just wanted to let you know that we're heavily working on Yosemite Park demo which will be the best example for our products (TerraLand TerraTrees) abilities and functionalities.

Besides, we really need and appreciate your opinions about what prices would be for our products. If you think that you need more info on products, please let us know and I will post features of each of them here.

23. Olafson

Olafson

It would be nice if you could upload a simple workflow video of each tool. That would be great, though it is not needed.
    I would pay whatever prize you set, overall it depends on the amount of time and work you spend into your products. What do you think would be a good prize? I think 90 Dollars would be a good prize, though I do not know whether that might be to high or to low.

24. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Thanks for posting Olafson, we will make tutorial and showcase videos for each product. Actually, believe me or not, I have to say that the whole project relies on more than 3 years of research and investigation and about 1 year of coding in Unity and outside it.

As each product will be sold individually, please let me know that your suggested price is related to which product?

25. Olafson

Olafson

3 years is really a lot of time. I would go for 90-115 Dollars for TeraLand and 80-100 Dollars for TeraTrees. I am not Intersted in TeraCity so I do not want to put up a prize suggestion.

I think that I can give a much better suggestion if I saw one of this tutorial/showcase videos. As for now, I could only try out the Lite prodcuts, but I am not interested in these at all, what I need is real elevation Data Terrains and automatic Tree placement.

If you could upload these videos soon I would be glad to give you my final suggestion.

26. Pulov

Pulov

Wow, I missed this very interesting release. The tree plugin sounds interesting. Just a comment on geo.rasters.

Using coordinates stored in geotiff like pics might not be always usefull as for peolle using max like me have to change the origin when moving from microstation, a shift option for x,y coordinates might be usefull.

27. Olafson

Olafson

Any update?

28. reaper7

reaper7

Will TerraLand generate from sea level up or can it generate below sea level to?

29. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Olafson
    Sorry for late reply. Thanks for your suggestions, we are preparing video demos tutorials, documentation help files and screenshots. The website is going to be ready soon, I can't give an exact date but it won't take so long.

@Pulov
    I'm glad you like this.

Generally in TerraLand you need to know the TopLeft BottomRight Corners' Latitude/Longitude for Terrain and Satellite Image. But You can use any numbers instead of geo-coordinates (Latitude/Longitude in Decimal Degrees). So In TerraLand-Maps if you don't want to use geo-coordinates, you can have for example:

Terrain:
    Top: 4 - Left: 0 - Bottom: 0 - Right: 4 (4x4 grid terrain as the base area)

Satellite Image:
    Top: 3 - Left: 1 - Bottom: 1 - Right: 3 (2x2 grid image as an overlay)

Now, the draping image will be in the center of our terrain. I wish I've answered your question.

30. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@reaper7
    There's no difference, TerraLand can generate any terrains below sea level or up. It all depends on the heightmap you give to it. Some heightmaps cover the terrain below sea level and some don't.

In TerraLand-Terrain, you can give your heightmap's extreme points (Highest Lowest Point of terrain elevations) and Width/Length in meters, and it will convert the scales into Unity's scale units and if the heightmap covers below sea-level elevations, it calculates the sea level based on the water is at "0" elevation.

31. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

As to your request pertaining to determining a pricing structure for your tools...
    Have you reviewed the terrain generation software called World Machine ?
    It is quite impressive.

If you have not looked at it... you might want to do so...
    Unlike Unities' new MS&T Bundle which will have a GIS plug-in and cost $7500.00 US, World Machines price structure is excellent as it is most affordable for most game designers.

So, I would think you would get more sales and have more of a fan base and therefore your company would grow larger if you try to keep your prices as low as possible.

Just some food for thought....
    Please put careful thought into your pricing structure....
    Best of luck...
    :)

32. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Thanks a lot for posting TerraSame1, your suggestion is much appreciated.

I've worked with World Machine before. It's a great software for terrain editing, but TerraLand is Unity specific and doesn't need any external programs. AFAIK World Machine concentrates on procedural terrain generation and editing and doesn't support satellite image placement (correct me if I'm wrong), while TerraLand is especially for real world GIS data files and can generate terrains from heightmaps and put any satellite images on them based on their lat long without needing to import/export heightmaps or meshes from other softwares. Also in TerraLand you can have direct access to heightmap and satellite imagery (US Territory Only) for downloading right within Unity. TerraUnity products are designed for simulation type games and many non-game usages.

A big thanks for informing me about the MS&T Bundle, We didn't know anything about this. From my readings on this bundle I found that the GIS part is only the GIS Importer Plugin which is a new option in Terrain menu that can import Grid Float files (.flt / .hdr) to Unity Terrain objects and stitching multiple terrain tiles together. If that is, so there isn't so much about the field of GIS. I know that this package contains of all Unity Pro licenses plus some new features but maybe there are more options form this bundle which haven't mentioned yet to match that $7500 US price. Please let me know if you have any more detailed information about this bundle.

We are trying our best to release the products with the most options the cheapest price available :)

33. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

TerraU...
    Thanks for the reply... And, I see you checked out my web site.... Cool....
    I have not yet found any detailed info about the MS&T GIS Plug-in....
    If I get any new info from Unity... I will share...

Here is a thought for you.... scrap using the USGS - USA site for your data and take a look at NGA raster Roam....
    Then you will have access to the entire world rather than just the US....

Another point....
    In my design efforts... I have found that using a Sat image is all fine and good for far away viewing....
    The key to a great project is to have it look good at three distances....
    Far - Medium - Close....
    Will your Plug-in deal with all three distances? Use Shades at different distances????
    Just thinking out loud here....

Thanks and if you need a beta tester I might have the time....
    :)

34. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Yes, I've checked out your website TerraSame, good luck with your job, keep us updated ;)

Thanks for posting the link, The reason we have chosen USGS is because it includes an API with the highest resolution available in US and data can be extracted exactly with the given lat long points to define area of interest. We are trying to find another service to cover the entire globe, however the best one is SRTM but unfortunately the extracted data is in 1x1 degree tiles. I'll check your link to see what can be achieved. As soon as we find a good service, we will implement that in the future versions of TerraLand.

Having multiple image resolutions on terrain based on camera distance is a great and awesome feature but we haven't dig into that subject yet to see if it's applicable in Unity or not! I think that requires overwriting the Unity's built-in terrain shader system.

For now, when using TerraLand-Maps to place satellite images on terrain, the best approach is that to have the 1st image on terrain as the base to cover the entire terrain with maximum resolution (4096x4096 pixels), and the rest of the images again with maximum resolution to place on the areas of interest. So you may end up to have higher resolution images where you want them to be but not all over the terrain plus using mip maps on images to have a little resolution management to increase rendering speed and reduce aliasing artifacts.

Besides, we have a new product in our pipeline which is a Terrain Enhancer. The user selects a color from terrain's reference image (which can be a satellite image or a landcover-map) and wherever the image includes that color, it can be replaced with a tiling image to have better resolution on those areas. For example if the satellite image resolution is low and you know that green areas in image are grass, you select that green color to define zones and there it will place user selected grass texture as an overlay on satellite image. The final terrain will have hybrid textures containing of both satellite images and seamless textures.

You will be on top of our list to be a beta tester for our future products :)

35. Olafson

Olafson

Nice to hear about Terrain Enhancer. Could be useful in most cases. Looking forward to it as well.

I actually can not wait anymore... :p All your products sound so promising!

36. TerraSame1

TerraSame1

hahahahaha
    Like ....... Yaaaaaa

I have been working with this GIS stuff for 6 long years... (I am only days from launching a new 3d web site???)
    And... I am no geologist and... I am no GIS know it all...
    But maybe... just maybe... someone who knows GIS will get this stuff right...

Have you guys seen this thread....
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/146808-ats-Colormap-terrain-shader-RELEASED
    Looks very promising also...... I have been working with it.... It is darn near perfect.... But alas... no Lat...Lon.. Attributes...
    The shader works very well switching between far Sat images... to medium.... to close high texture tiled images....
    Best I have ever seen...

TerraU... Take a look at that shader..... It might help you... and the creator... "Lars"... is sharp...
    His trees are sweet.... Too...

37. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@Olafson
    Terrain Enhancer is going to be our first future product and we'll make that after the sales are ready. Thanks for waiting, soon they will all be available ;)

38. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@TerraSame1
    Nice to hear that your 3d website is going to be ready, keep it up.

Thanks for posting the link, I've seen that before but never thought of using that for satellite images. I've seen Lars's works before and his shader is great. I see the switching is really smooth as you can't even notice it. Unfortunately I'm so busy these days to check the shader for myself, but if you mind to make a simple demo for this shader using multiple resolution sat images, it will be so helpful to see the results. If the results are fine, then we'll contact Lars for helping us...

As the shader supports "4 detail maps which are mixed in at shorter distances", so I think this is the only limitation to have maximum of 4 high res sat images(detail maps) on terrain.

39. pneill

pneill

Any update on these projects?

I'm especially interested in the city generator.

40. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

All 3 products were already finished but we are working on the store and website. We are about a week away from website launch and releases :)

Cheers

41. Olafson

Olafson

Wow. That are some great news! Looking forward to it. Thanks alot.

42. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Thanks for the follow up, Keep in touch :)

43. a77456856

a77456856

When TerraLand can buy in asset store?I really really looking forward to

44. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

Sorry to keep you waiting, only a few days left for product releases. I'll keep you updated here as soon as they become available.

Cheers

45. OrbitusII

OrbitusII

I'm definitely going to use this! EPIC!!!

46. UNITY3D_TEAM

UNITY3D_TEAM

any updates?

47. TerraUnity

TerraUnity

@OrbitusII UNITY3D_TEAM,

Thanks for your interest. Everything is almost ready... so close to releases :)

48. Olafson

Olafson

Awesome news! Thanks for informing us.

49. DeLong

DeLong

This looks very promising. I've been looking for an easy way to do this. Our company creates driving sims and may be able to use this for realistic terrains. Looking forward to the release.

50. lazygunn

lazygunn

As I understand it (I'm currently learning the shader for use in something i'm doing) the detail maps are what you see when you get close, the satelite image i'd imagine to be the colourmap that covers the entire terrain, i'm imagining the big normal map for the terrain could be reappropriated here as i'm not sure how you'd get depth information for the satelite image anyways. It could be a very useful shader for you anyways - your tool for choosing tiling maps would be excellent for creating terrain splatmaps that could replace the satelite image at v-close range

Forgive my ignorance because I only started looking this stuff up few days ago trying to find <90m DEM for an area of italy but is NASA's Aster elevation data not suitable for much of the earths surface? although i did read the quality can be variable and i'm not sure how you'd get at it in a straightfoward manner, it was,however, significantly better for the regions i acquired than SRTM (I think Aster has a resolution of 20m or so?)

You surely know better than I do, i just got my toes wet while trying to find decent DEM information and wondered if it was useful