Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. TheSin

TheSin

Hi guys, heres a wip of my engine im creating in unity. Heres the videos on my youtube channel.

http://www.youtube.com/user/sindiinbonnienclyde?feature=mhee

The release is still a way off and maybe ill wait til i see what unity 4 can add but heres a few features so far.

Full 360 movement/jumping ie run around spheres up walls etc
    Unlimited moves ie emotes, idles, jumps, falls, lands, movements ie walk-sneak-jog-run.
    Flying, swimming, ground movement ie standing, crawling etc
    Option to resize collider on entering/exting a move.
    Physics collider + rigidybody for character controller.
    Hooks for moves so you can easily script your own events ie OnEnter, OnStay, OnExit for any move you use or create or extend from the move class allowing cool stuff such as damage, health, fx, scoring etc pretty unlimited with what yo can do.
    Pretty awesome 360 jump system allowling you to link jumps, have spin jumps, back flips, dives etc all woth own jump/descent and collider resizing/orienting.
    Like the junp system, the fals part allows unlimited linkings of lands which can trigger based on distance fallen, surface landed on on when entering water
    There is a whole lot more which i wont spoil with you yet ie full character collisions ala mario 128 demo with staggers etc or strafing, or world otem interaction or....etc etc.

Hopefully il get a demo out soon, anyway enjoy.

2. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

3. sammyrye

sammyrye

I've always wanted to make a 3D platformer, so i've been waiting for someone to build a nice kit/engine that I could use (my programming skills are not up to that kind of task!). It's kind of strange, I came to the unity forums today specifically to see if someone was making a platformer engine- and I found your amazing looking Mario engine! A Mario style game is exactly what i'd like to make (Mario 64 is one of my favorites). I don't have much 3D game design experience, but i'd be happy just to have a mario style character with all the moves (triple jump, backflip, slides, walljump....) that I could use to run around a map i've made. The controls of the 3D mario games just feel great to me, very intuitive and solid with a "weighty" feeling. If you can get close to that it'd be amazing.

If you release this for sale, I'd love to buy it!

4. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Hey guys I recorded a video today showing some gameplay of our alpha build of the game. Its a turn based RPG game. Pick your 4 man team, train them and do battle against others from all around the world to see who is the best Arena Warrior.

Here is a video, let me know what you guys think, any C&C is welcome! The game is not laggy, but for some reason the captures gets it a bit choppy. Game is superrrr smooth.

5. QuesterDesura

QuesterDesura

Hello,

here i will present my Single Player Project "World of Age".
    You can find it on indiedb.com or on moddb.
    In the game you play Boud.
    Boud is a poor thief, but one day he found a chain.
    This Chain change his fate.
    Comment or write on the forum on indiedb or moddb.
    If you want to help gift me some free modells.
    If you help me you may get free Acess.

Sorry for my English.

Quester

6. QuesterDesura

QuesterDesura

Update Log 0.0.2 :

- better map
    - day night cycle
    - escape GUI
    - better GUI life display
    - new coasts
    - a sea on the map

Comment or write in the Forum on indiedb or moddb.

I will try to make the release on this day 21.04.2013.
    I didn´t know when i start the alpha.

Quester

7. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Be nice if you gave us the link so we dont have to go searching for your project.

I looked up your project and there is nothing to comment on. There is just a plain terrain, and something that looks like a rock.

You cannot present something as a single player game if there is nothing to do except look at a piece of terrain.

8. QuesterDesura

QuesterDesura

Hey,

the Project runs since 2 mounts.
    The Site with the Terrain is right.
    I haven´t a modeller and that is why i have not upload much.
    I will try to upload tomorrow a Video from my Quest System, but it looks not good.

Quester

9. kalamona

kalamona

still a LINK would be nice

10. UnityGameMaker1

UnityGameMaker1

Do you know any good tutorials or anything on texturing, i am awful at it?

11. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Hi All,

I'd like to share with the community what I've been up to. You might have seen some of my shameless posts around here in attempt to showoff my latest game Bad Nerd. Now I am about to make another shameless post regarding my blog, which mainly talks about my work on Bad Nerd. The latest post talks about the first step in evolving the RPG into a MMORPG!

You can find my blog here: http://www.vnlentertainment.com/home/badnerdonlinearena

And the game here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vnlentertainment.badnerd

12. NTSoft

NTSoft

Welcome Guys
    RealSpace Online By NTSoft
    Game Engine Is Unity3D
    Developed by Mohamed Hashem Ahmed Hashem
    Web Developed by Ahmed Hashem
    Designed by Abduelrhman Hashem

I want to share my WIP with you about my ONLINE GAME

i just call it RealSpace Online for now

here is photos and videos

Picture First

Client Picture

Server Picture

Videos

Overview

The Battle

Last edited: Aug 26, 2012
  13. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

14. IndieScapeGames

IndieScapeGames

I for one am in need of something similar. Looks pretty good JohnnyA.

15. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

:O looks like it has potential. How are you doing the server? Is it separate thing or a Unity build launched in batch mode?

16. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

17. Kayden007

Kayden007

Looks great! Subbed

18. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I can find a use for it. :)

19. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Looks great. Loving the unique character designs. The decent narrative definitely helps; I'm left with a good understanding of how the game will work. Have you considered adding voice chat so remote friends can chat while playing?

Are you targeting mobile as well as desktop? Seems well suited for mobile but looks good enough to release on desktops too.

Will be keeping my eye on this one.

20. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

Looks cool, interesting game play mechanics, one tip would be having skill descriptions come up when you hover over them with the mouse. It seemed like you knew every spell and what they did just from the icon, but new players may be a bit lost ^_^ just by looking at the icons.

21. Mawz

Mawz

i bet ima get called a tard for this but how do you capture you on screen stuff to show off you WIP's

22. QuesterDesura

QuesterDesura

Hello,

my Project is based on Burg Zerg Arcade. I will try to upload today a Video from MY own Quest System, but i programme alone and that is why i haven´t upload something, because it look not good.

Quester

23. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Silly question , but would it be possible to actually do this during gameplay ?

Like to make an app that pulls data from various sources to create these charts .

24. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Here's a early build of a avoid objects game I'm working on . Eventually I plan on adding boss battles too . Using RageSpline for the graphics, its a really hate it or love it style( as in I like blocks :) .

Its a never ending game thats generated on the go , my next task will be to use Swarm Manager that already have to spawn the objects and make it run smoother .

Big shoot out to RageTools for the screen align tools .
    http://beatquestgame.com/moreD/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

Targeting Android for this one , should be a cool free game...
    On PC you can use arrow keys to move .
    Give me some feedback- taking my own advice on this one and starting with something small and doable .

25. QuesterDesura

QuesterDesura

26. TheSin

TheSin

Good to hear. Mario 64 is my all time fave but this character system is way more and can be used for any game with an onscreen character. Im hoping, once released, users will use it many ways i didnt dream of. The camera, input etc are all seperate so allow users to change control ie camera relative, player relative, z-targeting etc. Als the collision system will eventually allow smash bro type games too as you get info back from collisions ie hit position, move used etc.

So much else too, im just using mario as an early showcase.

27. NTSoft

NTSoft

what ? are you kiding

are my game RealSpace Online is ^SMALL PROGRAMMING^

and where my thread is gone

28. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

If you have your own thread I don't think it has anything to do with this thread or the one that was deleted. And if you posted something in the deleted thread you can repost it in this new one. I hope that explains your question (that's a question, right?) :)

29. shallwaycn

shallwaycn

Hi, every one.

I'd like to show you a little process of our first rpg game.

we are looking for some freelancer artists who can made 3d models that fit our demo's style, yeah, the Asia game style.
    And we paid per models, not paid for time, if anyone interested, feel free to contact: shallwaycn@gmail.com

cheers:)

demo vedio:

30. Harikana

Harikana

Great work

31. Tim-C

Tim-C

Unity Technologies

Your game may be large but the content you have posted here is not. This forum is for development blogs and ongoing work, not for 'check out my game' posts. That is what this thread is for, so low content posts are moved here.

32. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Urgh this utterly sucks, now its impossible to get ANY feedback on my project, lovely! Now our projects are clumped together with all the other spam projects.

33. aliakbo

aliakbo

Exactly!
    I deleted my post because I felt all my hard work deserved much more than a lone post in some thread!

And gathering all the threads into one doesn't remove the clutter from the WIP section because all the moved thread are all still there, only now you have to rummage through a 7 page thread to find something.

34. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

So what you're saying is the thread has to have a lot of posts/content. Well I was wondering about the Project Shero thread, its been only 1 hour since it was posted so I don't think its reasonable to expect a lot of content only 1 hour after it's been shared.

If you want to encourage a dev diary kind of thing, well, dev diaries don't exactly come up with dozens of posts every hour, if you get what I mean.

MoonJellyGames likes this.
  35. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

Beautiful work and very polished and professional. My only comment would be that the environments are full bright, there is no real lights and shadows. Everything is equally lit and there is no sense of depth. Other than that, the work is superb. A shame your post will now be lost in this silly WIP sub forum

36. QuesterDesura

QuesterDesura

Hello,

i hope that`s a very bad fake...
    Yesterday i make a thread over my Project World of Age.
    World of Age will be SALE and PUBLISH.
    Today it´s HERE IN THE "SMALL" Projects.
    Hello?!
    Nobody will go to page 6 on .... articel ... ok?
    If i delete this account NOTHING changed, because nobody look at THIS thread.
    I have register me here to present my Game not to scroll down and search my articels!

Quester

37. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Hehe, yes indeed it is a tough life for us small fries! Perhaps playing my game will help you release some stress: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vnlentertainment.badnerd

I guess the trick is to mention your game at any opportunity! My game has had over 250k downloads since I released it 2 months ago. Perhaps it is from my shameless, never ending mention of my game at any opportunity, I don't know?!

38. Blacklight

Blacklight

Procedural Cave Generator

Uses a 2D grid and celluar automata to generate a cave like level out of cubes.

Give it a try!

Controls
    Space - Generate new cave
    Arrows/WASD - Move Camera
    MouseWheel - Zoom in and out

Run count is the number of times it will go through cleaning unwanted blocks.

39. Glitch19

Glitch19

Hey folks,

Me and a few others are making a game for a course, so I thought some of you fine people
    might want to have a go at it. The link is below:

http://secondchancestudios.net/

Have fun!

40. john-essy

john-essy

I tried it but can't move.

41. hellraizerhhh

hellraizerhhh

42. Default117

Default117

Press the "Enter" key to spawn your player then you can move.

43. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

@stramit

How are we supposed to build a WIP thread if you are going to remove threads for not having enough content? Isn't the whole point that they are a work in progress?

You (or someone) moved my charting thread which explicitly mentions that I will be updating it and to "stay tuned for updates". The only rule it could be breaking is that you deem it a small project however small is a subjective term... there are entire teams dedicated to building charting libraries, often working and improving over years.

44. mgear

mgear

45. RingOfStorms

RingOfStorms

Brilliant, seen smaller 2d versions of this type of game, but I like where it is going in the 2.5D area.

46. Blacklight

Blacklight

47. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

I don't get the point of this ether , like for my game I would consider it a relatively small project, but i'm still writing a Random level generator system, building it for android, looking into multiplayer , etc .

The Small Works thread makes it impossible to actually get individual feedback , plus its pretty hard to gauge how big a project is . Like If I wanted to I could buy a dozen or so models , then place them on a map, post 6 pictures of that , and it would LOOK like a bigger project , although it takes far less work .

But if that's the the way you want to run things I can find a different forum to look for feedback on .

48. Default117

Default117

I don't know why yours would have been moved, it is a great topic to generate discussion, and really shouldn't be in this thread. I see this thread more of a show and tell with basic feedback and critique. Making a new thread is better for encapsulating discussions better per project.

49. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

At least that's how I interpreted the rules: I don't think small projects can't have their own threads, but they have to be in a more advanced stage. "Mini games" refers to that stage where your super first person shooter only has one test level with cubes and spheres, the fps controller that comes with unity and some dummy targets.

50. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

I would like to know what exactly qualifies - the 'example' post in the new rules of what a WIP is simply isn't clear enough.

I think criteria of a small project derives from the following factors:

Game Genre (after all, not all genres are created equal)
    Amount of Time to Develop
    Amount of Play Time for the Player
    Effort to Develop
    Current Progress
    Scope of Release

If I make a series of 3 minigames, well, that's definently a small project - the games are small, takes minimal time to develop, minimal time to play, and has a fairly limited scope. Instead of making a thread for each of those, I can totally agree with those being blended into an existing WIP thread (sort of like this one).

That being said, for something like a racing game with realistic physics, car customization, and advanced racing AI...well, let's just say that that's not a Small WIP. Books have been written on physics and AI, which have to be entwined with the art, GUI, and other code bits.

Some clarification on what is or is not a small post I think is required; while I think the goal of the forum-folding is well-justified, I think it's being communicated abominably.