Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Games WIP Small Works Game / Programming Thread

Discussion in 'Projects In Progress' started by Tim-C, Aug 6, 2012.

1. M_S4

M_S4

Here you see my customized MMORPG with Network support.
    Features:
    -Choose your Character from 3 different ones.
    -Characters Names (visible in Chat)
    -Fighting
    -Choose / Create your Server
    -Money System

When you like it I will maybe load the project up.
    Enjoy and Feedback pls :D (Sorry for my English)

2. Duskling

Duskling

A tutorial?

Oh god. I wonder how many people will be making MMORPGS now...

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Does it have server side collision?

4. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

The Ninja Trials looks cool.. reminds of me of that `Ninja Warrior` show with a huge obstacle course.

5. AlexZ

AlexZ

Hey guys, almost ready to release my racing track builder game.

But I am not sure if the working title "Tuner Extreme" is the best title available.

Can you guys help me think of a better name please?

Thanks in advance! :D

Here is a quick video to give you an idea of the game

6. Khyrid

Khyrid

Not another racing game

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
  7. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

Maybe something like "Custom Turbo" ? If I remember right this game was about players creating tracks and racing on them, similar to Trackmania?

8. AlexZ

AlexZ

Yep that's right. Players Create their own tracks by crafting pieces.

Custom Turbo sounds pretty good, I like Turbo, something to work with, thanks! :D

9. ahbadiane

ahbadiane

Turbo Racing

10. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

You're welcome ;) Funny thing is I'm still struggling with the name for my own game :rolleyes:

11. AlexZ

AlexZ

@wasstraat65 which game?

12. Vanamerax

Vanamerax

link in my signature

13. BitFiction

BitFiction

i think a cool name would be : Speed and Steel

14. tripknotix

tripknotix

No it does not, that's another reason i wanted to go with just mobile, less issues with cheating. Maps would need to be added to the server in a way that the server could read, which is not possible on player.io since it cant read scenes, and would force everyone to use either only terrain or only complete mesh maps, or a combination of them. It would be a large amount of manual work for every map created, even with cube colliders manually added.

well with the introduction to Android adding the ability to smartly update game files, http://www.pcworld.com/article/261004/google_play_smart_updates_save_data_costs_and_time.html i think i will be switching to Mobile only, where the product will fit into a more professional category with a respectable list of features. On web player and flash it would just fall too short with cheat prevention. Which is not good for users or developers. So there's the decision, Mobile Only.

15. Forge Vault

Forge Vault

Speed Builder

16. UnityGameMaker1

UnityGameMaker1

GarBenjamin likes this.
  17. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Built a Data Repository for an RPG that reads text assets, splits them into lines, and then uses a non-XML custom tokenizer to build consumable and equippable items from that data (there's also a third category "unique" to my game that's also being built from a separate file...but eh.)

The data syntax is intended to be easily human-readable, usually looking something like the following:

Code (csharp):
    1. Item:Potion
    2.   Effects:Restores 150 HP
    3.     HP:150
    4.   End Effects
    6.   MaxQuantity:99
    7.   Target:Single
    8. End Item
    10. Equip:Shattered Blade
    11.   Description:A broken sword, used by Thora
    12.   Slot:Weapon
    14.   Bonuses
    15.     Damage:10
    16.     Attack:1
    17.     Hit Rate:75
    18.     Crit Rate:5
    19.   End Bonuses
    20. End Equip
    The Item and Equipment categories weren't hard, but the final category unique to my game may be. It's why I'm taking the time to properly design it (kind of like I did the Consumable Item and Equipment data setup, actually.)

18. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Turbo Trax?

19. tripknotix

tripknotix

After speaking with a few users, i've decided to keep the webplayer options, but dropping support for streaming asset bundles, i will still include the scripts and the maploader, however, the new map loader will load everything from the build list for webplayer by default, and mobile platforms.

This will allow users to test easily in the editor with keyboard and mouse, and export their webplayer builds to show off the product, and will connect to their own multiplayer instances seperate from the mobile version.

This will also serve as a way to show off your product, you will be able to decide which maps are allowed on the desktop version, and which ones on the mobile version. so you can show off a sample of your game to customers.

Sorry for giving the results of the poll i posted, it was merged into this thread.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2012
  20. omercy

omercy

21. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

Nice! Ninja and ropes kind of reminds me or Final Ninja, a really nice browser game.

I like that it conforms to the objects when the rope finds an obstacle, but I have the impression it loses momentum when that happens.

22. omercy

omercy

Yes, it definitely loses some momentum. I apply the collision relative velocity to the player, but I should apply a greater force which is based on distance of player from the collision point. Rather than working out the math I decided to call it a feature for now ;) ("Yeah, of course you lose momentum when you hit things!")

Next up is combining my 3 tech demos into something playable: Destructible terrain, liquids, and ninja rope. Stay tuned...

23. mutatedwombat

mutatedwombat

Anyone like word games? I have a work in progress at www.ogafi.com
    Writing the code has been more fun than playing the game. That's probably a bad thing, right?

24. diegzumillo

diegzumillo

I like word games. English not being my natural language doesn't help though.

The 3d version is a neat idea, is it new? The navigation controls could be better, using the arrows, space, occasionally the number 5 and the mouse at the same time demands me to look at the keyboard frequently. The left mouse button would help if the webplayer didn't open the menu all the time. My suggestion is using the whole thing with the left mouse button! clicking outside the pieces will navigate, on a piece it will position the one you're holding (if any) and zoom... maybe click and space bar?

I like it :) Played for 15 minutes or so! until I got tired of getting my ass kicked.

25. mutatedwombat

mutatedwombat

Good suggestions - thanks for the feedback. It is really meant for tablets, where it works by touching and swiping. The web version is a bit of a compromise, so as you have noticed could use some improvement. The other main problem is that it keeps beating me, and that is unforgivable.

26. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Agreed - the point of game logic is to lose to the player in a fun, challenging way!

Game logic is like soup. Add difficulty in very small amounts until it tastes just right...

27. Valkyria

Valkyria

Hey there... since nobody replied yet, I figured I'd just write some quick little feedback...

First of all, the game does seem to have a fun idea, and it's nice to see you got it working. The only thing that didn't look quite right was red text over red bricks... kind of hard to read.

As for what to add next... well it depends on what you want to do with it (release it for free or make a commercial game). For a commercial game you will need to improve the graphics, I think... and add a lot more stuff to it. For a free game it's ok. What you could add is more types of enemies. Maybe some turrets that shoot in multiple directions or some moving turrets that follow you around or move at random or something.

28. Anazoth

Anazoth

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

Nice idea! I like that you are targeting a niche market that you know a lot about.

I don't know much about penetration testing, so take this with a grain of salt: the music does not seem right. I imagine this type of game to have lots of intense Mission Impossible type music. I also couldn't really tell how the game would be played.. but, again, I am not in your target audience.

Best of luck!
    Shawn

30. TopThreat

TopThreat

Hi MooseMouse,

The mission impossible type of music is probably exactly what I need here, or at least something more upbeat that what I have in the video now - Hacker videos always seem to have techno in them, maybe I will go with something like that. The game play itself definitely has an edge to it and now that you pointed it out the current video sound does not seem to translate that excitement. I will be adding some additional information about game play and I will change the music to something more appropriate on the video.

Thank you very much for your input!!!

Best Regards,

Lee

31. tripknotix

tripknotix

Some users reported that when they wanted to answer the poll a few days ago in my thread, they were not able to use their Samsung Galaxy S2 or S3, i have solved the issue, it occurred while loading a scene that had a temporary 2nd Main Camera active being loaded to the scene (its deleted after its loaded), however because it was active at the same time as the 1st Main Camera (with DontDestroyOnLoad on the 1st one), it caused the game to close immediately after loading of the new Scene.

For future developers, this issue has been isolated to the Exynos processor and Mali-400 MP gpu devices (regardless of the version of android). If anyone would like to test this out and send a bug report to Unity, I am sure they would appreciate it. For reference, the error caused in the logcat is SIGNAL 11 SIGSEGV ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIGSEGV ), causing the app to die.

(as a side note, Unity 4.0 Beta added, "Runtime: GameObjects marked DontDestroyOnLoad are no longer temporarily deactivate when loading a level. They will also not receive an OnDisable / OnEnable call when loading a level.", its possible this might be causing the crash on samsung galaxy s2/s3, but i don't have Unity 4 to test with)

For anyone who did not get to test before, http://m.realdefinition.net/ , please see page 3 in this thread, as my thread has been merged with this one. Because of a bug, i am permanently subscribed to this thread with no options to unsubscribe.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  32. AnomalusUndrdog

AnomalusUndrdog

I finally implemented being able to watch my behaviour tree's traversal in-game. Behaviour trees are used for designing AI, among other things, and are related to finite state machines. My implementation is quite rudimentary right now, and I'll work on it more as I go.

The traversal shows which nodes got visited and what result they gave. Yellow arrow means started, green check mark means success, red x means failure, and blue picture of a boot means running (suspended).

You can check out my development blog here: http://victisgame.wordpress.com/

You can check out a WIP build download here: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/25260770/TacticsEnsembleTest/TacticsEnsembleTest-WindowsBuild.zip

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  33. BrUnO-XaVIeR

BrUnO-XaVIeR

;) A weird Intro level for a weird game:

34. blacknirvana

blacknirvana

..and maybe some different environments, like nature mazes (green) or ice mazes (ice blue with snow effect)

35. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

Made a VERY basic avoid objects game, you control a little spaceship(shamelessly taken from one of the demos that come with ragespline , although i'm going to make it look more distinct latter , right now its just a triangle ) . Its all procedural generated , and gets faster as you go on .
    Use , A,S,D and arrow keys for movement .
    Enjoy( It works fine web player, but android is still too slow :( )

http://beatquestgame.com/First/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

36. Felix King

Felix King

Thanks to everyone who tested my beta 1 and gave me suggestions to improve the game. Looks like my posts have been deleted?!? Anyway ... with your help I was able to produce my second Beta which is already on live on Google Play:
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.FxxKing.JellyMan

For those who don't sport an Android device I've got a little video:

Maybe later when I'm home I'll find the time to compile a version for the WebPlayer.
    [EDIT:] uploaded a WebPlayer Version

Just some background infos:
    Jellyman is my first attempt on game development/design and a part of my final project for my MA in digital media. I'm writing about advertising in mobile games. Jellyman is a retro-style action platformer. The gameplay is designed after classics like Mega Man, Probotector, Turrican. The look and feel is a reminiscence to early 3D games like Mechwarrior, Star Fox (Lylat Wars) and Virtua Racer.

There is still a lot on my to do list:
    - new worlds
    - diversified graphics
    - storyline
    - puzzles to solve
    - much more physics
    - final bosses
    - more weapons
    - leaderboard
    - reward system
    - mini games
    - new level select engine that allows to jump straight to the next level
    - reduction of loading times and performance improvements

And for sure what ever you suggest as well ;)

Cheers,
    Felix

Last edited: Aug 24, 2012
  37. NestorAlgieri

NestorAlgieri

Hey folks!

Bad Nerd now has a multiplayer arena as part of the game. It will be used as the testing ground and starting point for developing the MMORPG integration for Bad Nerd or future games. You can enter it via the main menu, or if you are in the game already, you can just walk into the room called Online Arena which you can find on the map!

If you are curious to see a Unity-made multiplayer action game download Bad Nerd for free here: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vnlentertainment.badnerd

Feel free to chat me up if you have feedback or questions!

38. vernal125

vernal125

My first experience of artificial intelligence OpenWorld ;)

Actually

MaxCars : 30-35
    Max Humans :40-50
    Fps : 200-150

39. virror

virror

Looks very cool!
    Maybe you can share a bit more information about what the project is?

40. HolBol

HolBol

Love the art style, Felix King. Nice job.

41. blacknirvana

blacknirvana

Looks really cool, could we see a video?

42. Felix King

Felix King

Thank you, Fishman. Strangely the style is discussed controversially. Some don't get it that I designed it intentionally that way: "Nice, but if you try harder, you can make a version with better graphics." >_<

43. vernal125

vernal125

Thanks guys for your incredible comments .
    Actually we've been working and following this project for long time .
    All details must be done and complete until it's final production .
    Much obliged for your encouragements . .

44. BlueRain01

BlueRain01

WaW ..amazing work !! keep it up guys ..
    You should share more info and pics about this project, i really like to see more .

45. aixaix

aixaix

I first thought they were zombies :)
    Looks Awesome
    Keep it up!

46. keithsoulasa

keithsoulasa

The text on the world select screen is a bit hard to see, good work though !

47. Felix King

Felix King

Thanks for the feedback. That's pretty true - you get completely blind for these details. For the sake of meeting the deadline at the uni I leave it the way it is for now, but I'm planning a complete overhaul after handing in.

48. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Been working on an some analytics for my games and had to draw some charts... so now I have a charting library.

I'll put out to the asset store (for somewhere between $0.00 and $10.00) if it matures enough, not sure how many people want to draw charts in the editor... but I'm sure there are some.

$Analytics.png

Still lots and lots of cleanup, additions and more chart types needed. It does handle mouse events (i.e. in the first chart the orange bar has the mouse over it), and events (click a chart and show another window, or drill into a detail chart). Also has some basic animation capabilities (play data over time).

Will keep you posted.

PS If you are interested let me know, might be able to get you a version once its a bit more stable.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  49. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

looks cool :D but I wouldn't personally use it.

50. JohnnyA

JohnnyA

Yeah there's not a lot of people who will have use for it, but I'm sure someone will :)