Search Unity

Critter Pack

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalamona, Jul 31, 2012.

1. kalamona

kalamona

Hello,
    This pack is about a lot of small animals, that usually don't get the spotlight, but they are needed in a nature scene. Rats, frogs, snakes, butterflies and so on. In a lot of games, these are referred as "critters".

According to their "secondary" nature, they have a very low polygon count, and just a few bones to move them. Larger critters have 4 animations (move, idle, idle2, die), while smaller ones just move.

Currently the pack has:
    - snake
    - rat
    - butterfly
    - dragonfly
    - bumblebee
    - spider
    - frog
    - bat
    - worm
    - snail
    - turtle

I will add more animals with time (small bird, scorpion, hedgehog, rabbit... I have many ideas).

Thanks for reading, and if you have any suggestions, feel free to share.

Kalamona

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  2. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

This is so nice to look at.
    :)

3. DevionGames

DevionGames

4. kalamona

kalamona

Heh, thanks :) I just submitted the pack to the asset store, let's hope they will accept it.

5. pkid

pkid

Very cool. I like your idea about adding the snail.

6. PolyVector

PolyVector

I love it, great work!

Too bad I'm not working on a game right now, but I'll be sure to pick this up next time I am. :D

7. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

very nice just make sure that everyone of them has at least idle and move animations. ( not only move )

Sure to pick it up

8. kiranmaya

kiranmaya

Amazing quality ..nice animations

9. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

10. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

Would like to see all textures in one atlas and a shared shader for all critters, this could help with dynamic batching.

11. kalamona

kalamona

Heh you were faster than me :) I edited the original announcement.

About making all the critters use the same map and material, I understand, that it would be useful sometimes, but I won't do it.

- Some people might just use 1 or 2 critters, so all the extra info on the texture (might need an 1024*1024 at least to store all the color variations) would be wasted.
    - It would have to be an alpha mapped material because of the insects, but 95% of the texture wouldn't use the alpha map at all, another waste, and also might make alpha-sorting problems on solid creatures too, depending on shader.
    - Not to mention I would have to re-UV all the critters :)

However thanks for the suggestion. I am planning a flower pack in the future, that would use a shared material similar to your idea.

12. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

13. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

snail, hedgehog +1

14. maidamedia

maidamedia

What about a specific ant pack (soldiers, Queen,...)? Or a simple add on to critter pack?

15. kalamona

kalamona

Hey,
    Thanks for the idea. No ants will be in this pack, as they would be very small. But nice idea anyways.
    cheers,
    Kalamona

16. angel_m

angel_m

The web player is asking for installing the Unity web player in an endless loop, (and the Unity web player is already installed, by the way)

17. napster

napster

Superb creatures :)

18. kalamona

kalamona

Angel_m:
    Sorry to hear that, I will look for a solution. Do you use chrome? If yes, what version?

napster:

19. joshimoo

joshimoo

I like your packs, do you have a website / portfolio / references anything?

Thanks

20. kalamona

kalamona

Not really, I am not actively looking for a job, so I do not promote myself. You can look at all my products if you search for "kalamona" in the asset store.

cheers

21. kalamona

kalamona

22. kalamona

kalamona

23. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

Wow, awesome turtles!

24. RoyS

RoyS

This is on my list of items to purchase. Very nice pack. I love your spiders.

25. jashan

jashan

Very nice! Bookmarked ;-)

26. RJ-Singh

RJ-Singh

Is the script(s) you used to generate the random behavior of the critters included? I would just like to replicate the exact scene you have playing in the web player.

27. kalamona

kalamona

Hi,
    the scene (and scripts) are included in the package. Yes, I wrote those behavior scripts, but since I am not a programmer, they might be not the best ;)
    cheers,
    Kalamona

28. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I have a question , How do I best scale the size of the critters?

29. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I have one request, could you think really hard about making a version with all the textures packed in one atlas? :) now we have a high draw call number and I would love to get it down to 1.

You can have a few textures but at least all the colour variations should be together in one texture I would think.

If people want to use only 1 critter than they can use the current as it is.

You mention having to re-UV all items, yes thats correct :)
    All others that may be interested in using you critter pack for mobile it could collectively save us a lot of time if you could do it :)

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  30. kalamona

kalamona

Worms added to the pack, it was easy to do, so why not :)

31. kalamona

kalamona

Bats were added to the pack! No new demo or pictures, sorry, I am in a hurry :(

32. DevionGames

DevionGames

Thank you i bought this pack yesterday :D

33. kalamona

kalamona

34. kalamona

kalamona

Man, I must brag somewhere: during the sale, 257 units sold. Wow. Just wow.

35. Nostre

Nostre

:eek:
    Yes good asset with good deal sell, probably if you do it with RPG ICON you will do it again.

36. TopThreat

TopThreat

I agree. Good stuff man.

37. hopeful

hopeful

One critter I expected to see in this pack, but found it missing, was sewer roaches. I've seen roaches in games for years, but so far as I can tell there is currently no roach asset for Unity.

I know they're small, but I'd like some sort of presentation of wandering roaches, maybe as a particle or something, and maybe even a flying roach if that's not too much trouble.

Particle roaches. Ugh. Sounds disgusting even to say it. lol

38. kalamona

kalamona

Actually this is a great idea. Might do it very soon, I always wanted to add a few more critters. I have some urgent stuff to do first, but after I am finished, I will add them.

39. hopeful

hopeful

Thanks! :)

40. kalamona

kalamona

$roachRender.jpg

After finishing my ultra secret super project, I quickly added a cockroach-style type bug to this package. Webplayer was also updated.

41. red2blue

red2blue

Thanks, I am very happy I bought the pack and thanks a lot for still updating it! Thunbs up and keep doing that ;)!

42. kalamona

kalamona

$lobster.png

Lobster added.

43. Yukichu

Yukichu

I would just to say, in a public, nonhomophobic way, I totally love you.

This package is free and amazing. The roaches friggin' scare me... they remind me of the giant roaches from my hotel in Marrakech, Morocco. On top of just having some amazing, high-quality work, you have included the scripts for them to do actions and whatnot, so it's not just some prefab model sitting around doing nothing.

I know they're free to promote your other stuff, and let me tell you, as soon as I need a dragon I know where I am buying it from. This is just some amazingly good, free stuff and I love it.

Not entirely sure how feasible this would be, as right now the creatures just wander around... but the ability (I'd pay for it even) to have them chase a player. Perhaps selecting a tag (it's just a string afterall) for it to compare to, and a range... I have all of this coded for my own creatures and whatnot, but I can't use them on yours since I believe they are moved via translate or something, and I'm using rigidbodies and force and whatnot. Maybe I ought to try, hum... I guess I don't see why not. I did put aggro targetting and target prediction on them to shoot players and it worked wonderfully (just ported over from other stuff I had.)

Anyhow, this is awesome stuff, and the best free advertising available, I swear. It made me check out your other work, which looked equally impressive, and if any of it goes on sale I'd pick it up in a jiffy, or I'll just buy it when I need it (dragons in a few months I figure.)

Loooooove it. Keep up the good work, and by good I meant quite excellent.

44. Yukichu

Yukichu

Cartoon zombies... do not press space. Nice.

So what was/is the super secret project? I neeeeeeed to know.

45. hopeful

hopeful

The roaches look awesome! :)

Much thanks!

46. TopThreat

TopThreat

Has anyone modified the scripts included with this package to keep the critters within a predefined area or to be influenced by colliders that they would be willing to share or provide advice on? My spiders are walking through walls :)

BTW - If you need critters you should purchase this package. They look great and the animations are awesome!

47. kalamona

kalamona

Haha actually that was the super secret project :)

But what do you mean that the critter pack is free? It is totally not :( Though I might do a small demo with 2 or 3 critters that would be free, just to showcase it.

If you mean that the updates are free, yes, they are :)

48. Yukichu

Yukichu

Huh, I probably did pay for this and forgot. Well, as far as a paid asset goes, it's awesome and well worth the money. Love the cartoon zombies still, nice super secret project :)

49. Yukichu

Yukichu

Check the 'animate physics' checkbox and they will respond to colliders I believe, or so it seemed for me.

50. Play_Edu

Play_Edu