Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Moonlight Mountains - WIP

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by snowconesolid, Jul 29, 2012.

1. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Update: Aug 19/12 : Game finished and released for free.
    Go HERE for more info:

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hi unity community. Its me again. I am working my next unity project called "Moonlight Mountains"

Its a low poly game about a princess who lives in on the Moon. However, this is not your average "save the princess" type game. It is a two part game. And when I say two part game I don't mean that the game will be split into two parts and released separately. I mean that each half of the game has its own unique gameplay style. At the moment I am working on the first half of the game (which is almost finished). For now I will talk about the first half of the game.

In the first half, the princess drops five capsules down to earth from the moon. Each capsule lands on a different mountain. You play as

Commander Moonlight: (for more info on character click here)

Commander Moonlight can climb any mountain and with his rocket launcher prepared, he sets out to obtain the five capsules.

Each capsule contains parts to a ship. The princess has dropped these ship parts so you can build the ship and go to rescue her.
    The ship is known as the "Moon-Cruiser"

moonlight princess (see here for more info on princess)

About the gameplay. (First half, the gameplay will be different in the second half)
    There a five mountains, however you cannot go to each mountain right away. They must be unlocked.
    I have put in a new system in the game where you must collect something known as "Cat-cash" (the currency in Moonlight Mountains) In order to unlock the other mountains and obtain the other capsules you must collect the required amount of cat-cash.

So this means that even though you obtain ship pod/ capsule you might need to revisit the level to collect more cat-cash.

Screen shot of finding cat cash:

Current progress on the game:
    I have finished the first two Mountains and am currently putting the third one together. Hopefully soon I will have a Demo up! :)

Anway thats about it for now I will have more soon!

Other Characters/ images:

Enemies:

Moonlight Mountain Bear: (see HERE)

Moon Fish: (see HERE)

Sir. MoonBeam: (see HERE)

Big moon fish attack! (Screenshot)

Last edited: Aug 20, 2012
  2. Not_Sure

Not_Sure

Character B's arms are too low on the body and both characters have too small of feet. The sole of a foot should be at least as long as the forearm, and in this case your models seems to be chibi so they should probably be even more exaggerated than that.

3. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

^^ it is not chibi style, it is Snowconesolid styled :)

Anyway just a quick update, I am putting this thing together faster than I thought I would and everything is going smoothly.
    The first half of the game is almost complete. I need to work on two more levels.

whats the update:
    The First Boss battle is finished
    I am working on the second boss battle.
    Created a new mountain level.

I will have more soon! oh and..

Screenshot preview of the menu level selector. You can only see the first two levels in this screen shot. The way it works is you slide left to right to select
    a level, so that is why they do not show all at the same time.

4. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hello again. I haven't been posting much about my project but I have been working on it like crazy!
    Anyway the game is almost complete now. There is still other things I have to do but the main most important part of "Moonlight Mountains" is finished.

Anyway what I have done recently is added a save system to the game. For a game like this it is very necessary to have some type of saving because you collect points to unlock levels for example and no one would want to go back and recollect the required amount of cat-cash(points) to re-unlock the levels they already had unlocked.

Here is a preview of the save system in action and also gameplay footage of the very first level, Mountain One. It is an easy level but as players go on the mountains become more complex.

My original plan is to finish this game project before the end of this month.

I will have more soon and hopefully a demo.

5. UnlimitedEdition

UnlimitedEdition

Those are some "interesting," models however the scripting which I'm assuming you mainly do seems much better.

6. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Thank you! I myself am very proud of the programming I did in this one :)

Anyway! Heres a short look at battling Sir MoonBeam, one of the bosses of Moonlight Mountains

After uploading this video, I noticed some things that I was not to happy with, so I'm going to change stuff to this boss fight and other parts of the game as well. So the final version of this boss fight might be different than what I'm currently showing in this video but I know it will be a lot better overall.

More soon.

7. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Hey everyone! (if anyone actually reads this thread haha)

In my last post I showed a video of the first boss battle and said there were a couple of things I was not happy with in my game. So since then I have changed some stuff up.

first of all i made a few graphical changes to the game. (Its not a very big one but the game looks a bit better. Things like cat-cash, and the moonlight mountain bear are different now.) The moonlight mountain bear looked pretty bad with that ugly texture so that was one of the first things I changed.

second something in my game was making everything way to easy and not really that fun. The face that you can spam the fire button and shoot an infinite amount of bullets really killed the gameplay. So I have added an ammo system in the game. Now you will have to look throughout the mountains for your ammo and often there is very limited ammo, so now players will have to make plans to sustain ammo in order to last longer. In the first mountain for example there is more enemies than ammo.
    With this new ammo feature the game is almost like a survival type game now.

Anyway recently I decided to add a new enemy to the mix of moonlight mountains. I hope you are prepared to battle the Moon-Knight! (I know its really low poly but I like the way it turned out)

This is one of the more advanced enemies where you can attack different body parts like the head and the chest.
    Probably one of the better looking models for this game :)

The game does not end after you beat the 5 mountains, currently I am working on what comes after the mountain levels.

I will have more soon!

8. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Earlier I also uploaded a video demonstrating the Moon-knight in action. I had it set to private and forgot all about it.

anyway here it is.

In this video I demonstrate attacking different body parts of the Moon-Knight and AI
    not much is going on but the multiple body parts to attack is pretty cool I think :)

9. virror

virror

I think the ammo system was a needed change, looked a bit to simple before, keep up the good work : )

10. wccrawford

wccrawford

While I can't say I'm a fan of your models, I'm impressed and inspired by your drive and willpower! Good job so far! I look forward to seeing more as you have it.

11. LaneFox

LaneFox

Honestly that looks absolutely hideous.

Seems like the actual mechanics are decent though.

12. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I am so happy I created a thread for this. Honestly I really want to thank all of you for your opinions especially on the models. And it seems that the majority agree that the models is one of the weakest points in this game. And I have to agree. Especially on my main character "Commander Moonlight". I want him to be a cool character that people like to play as not a boring pile of badly placed polygons.

I think it is time for a redesign :)

Here is the last you will see what I now like to call "Classic Commander Moonlight", the next time I update this thread Commander Moonlight will be better than ever :)

This is a screenshot of the "Moon-Mansion level"

13. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

hey all. In my last post I made earlier today I said that I would improve my main character model. I remodeled Commander Moonlight from scratch and now he is much better than ever! :)

The new redesign is much better and has more detail like a nose and hands, better head mesh and shape, better hair,etc while keeping it a low poly model and inheriting design from the original commander moonlight model

Check it out

comparing the original commander moonlight with the new and improved

a closer look at the revised Commander Moonlight

here is a shadeless render of the new commander moonlight, even the shadeless version looks night and day better than my original one I think

The model is not the only thing I have improved, I am also going to remake all of commander moonlights animations from the beginning improving those to. After that I will need to go back into my scenes in the project and add all of the old commander moonlight components to the new model. So its going to take a bit of time since replacing the original commander moonlight effects the game the way I scripted everything but it will be a very necessary and better improvement.

Also I would like to thank you guys once again for your opinions. I wouldn't of remade the model if it wasn't for your feedback. So keep it coming, you are helping me improve the game. :)

more soon.

Edit: just a quick question, which one looks better to you guys, the shiny render(diffuse) or the shadeless render?
    The model wont actually be that shiny in game, I just had a lot of lights in the scene. But I kind of like having a shine on the model at the same time I like toony graphics and the shadeless model will looks something like that if you apply unitys toon shading.

Last edited: Aug 14, 2012
  14. chrisall76

chrisall76

Looks great, really looks better.

15. virror

virror

Your modeling skills have improved a lot since you started i can see, he looks a lot more badass now ; )
    I think the shaderless version fits better with the other models.

16. CSpence97

CSpence97

Is it just me or is there a uvw mapping error now?

17. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

thank you virror and chrisall. When I made the original commander moonlight and those other models I did not really have a clear idea of what I wanted moonlight mountains to be. than as I started making the levels, more and more things started to come together and a bunch of different ideas were emerging.

Now pretty much I have completed the entire game. I have been doing a lot of thinking after I remodeled the original Commander Moonlight and thought to myself that the entire game could be much better. The levels, enemies, etc they have not turned out to be exactly what I wanted them to be.

I decided that I want to make moonlight mountains all over again from the beginning. I will start a new fresh Moonlight mountains project that will be everything I wanted this original moonlight mountains to be. I think the current moonlight mountains is a great game I made and I learned so much more about unity from making it but I could of made it much better.

but what about the original project? I am not just going to abandon this one. actually I have maybe about one more scene and a half to make and then this moonlight mountains will be 100% complete. And already I have made a good amount of improvements to this version. Originally I was planning on releasing this project on Desura as a really cheap game, but now I have decided to release it for free. Im going to finish this one and have it out in perhaps the next week or so.

I have a new vision for Moonlight Mountains, so when I make the next moonlight mountains its not going to be a remake of this moonlight mountains, the gameplay will be different, it will have a different story and the entire game will be fresh. Think of this current moonlight mountains project I will release soon as the first entry in the series :)
    this way I can get feedback on my original idea and see what I should improve/ inherit for my true moonlight mountains project

I look forward to releasing this version soon. I know the graphics are not to good but I think you will enjoy the game.

I will have more soon!

oh yeah and I have added to the name of this version of moonlight mountains. Now I call it
    "Moonlight Mountains : First Discovery"

18. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

hi.

new animations for the improved commander moonlight character I will use in future project
    The animations are not suppose to go that fast but you get the idea :)
    I have added a bunch of new animations and going to add some more to this model.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVIILEd8Ukw&feature=plcp

edit: fixed video
    edit again, video is only showing up as a link for some reason? oh well...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  19. chrisall76

chrisall76

I think the body should move more, in most of the animations if you where to do it irl the middle body doesn't stay in one place.

20. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

good point. Also it would be nice if the head moved so the character can be more alive.
    I need up my animations skill!

21. Tobop10

Tobop10

Sent a PM :)

22. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

replied and thank you :)

anyway, just want to say that I finished putting the final scene together yesterday and im getting ready to release my first moonlight mountains soon. I need to play through it and test if everything is working properly and go back and edit a couple of things. But I will have it out as a PC standalone and webplayer build in the next couple days or so. while it might not be the best looking game (graphically) I am very happy with how well everything works in it Scripting wise. I look forward to having it out :)

23. virror

virror

Looking forward to playing it : )

24. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

thank you once again virror :)

Anyway I have just finished putting together a trailer for Moonlight mountains. Check it out:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HhyBA2YhktY&feature=plcp

I will release it for free on 8/19/12 PC version and webplayer version.

:)

25. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

hello again.

I released moonlight mountains for free. check it out if interested :)

I made a thread for it in the showcase section with links and everything over HERE