Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

WIP Small Works Art Thread

Discussion in 'Art Assets In Progress' started by Tim-C, Jul 26, 2012.

1. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

Yeah I thought the system was pretty good. I did try the healing the character and it worked fine. This system might be just fine to fans of JRPG type games but maybe if your trying to appeal to other gamer types the system could be a bit clumsy. Personally I like it and it works pretty good but I think simplifying it might be a good idea. For example look at the item menu for the new zelda on 3ds a link between worlds

Its really simple

Anyway. I did a quick speed sculpt. I was just randomly sculpting and somehow ended up with this batman like guy. I wasn't going for a batman looking character but then again I didn't know what I was going for....

2. SiegfriedCroes

SiegfriedCroes

It's raining...

$Rain.gif

Ok, now I'll continue with my character again ^^'

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  3. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Thanks for the good feedback everyone! I'm reworking my equipment and inventory system to not be so kludgy and nasty.

$princess-7.png

The 'Change [Equipment Type]' button will open a filtered Inventory view, for you to select from. I'm also reworking the Inventory system to allow for selection from a grid, instead of paging through items.

I'll probably do the same with the skills menu, since there is similar precedent for that (see: most FF games.)

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  4. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

working on yet another new character. This time around I decided to poly model the whole thing instead of sculpt + Retopologize. Everyone has there preferences and both workflows are excellent for character modeling but I like the more efficient one and I am more use to poly modeling. So personally I prefer to poly model my characters but I also sculpt them and retop them sometimes. (Like my flower boy character, and my Nxgen Alien character that I showed in this thread a while back)

This new character though is fully poly modeled like most of my characters

I was able to model this fairly quickly, maybe a bit over an hour? Going to texture next. Just a small for fun practice character I am doing to warm up for my next game projects.

5. marcos

marcos

Just over an hour, from a sphere.

6. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Just got a Bamboo tablet.I don't draw much.Beginner's 'concept art',I might make her into a 3d character.

The Evil Riding Hood.

$PurpleRidingHood.jpg

7. dogzerx2

dogzerx2

Very nice work, I love how you shaped the skull. His stylized proportions, plus the monocle... that character packs a lot of personality!

8. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

That looks awesome. It's inspired me to start working on concepts for random encounter enemies for my JRPG project!

Speaking of...I reworked my Equipment and Inventory GUIs based on the feedback you all gave me! How is it now?

9. mcunha98

mcunha98

10. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Wow nice! She looks hot. And, evil.

$Ghast.png

...Inspired by both Master Chief, and Evil Riding Hood. Possibly, the Nobodies in KH2, also.

11. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

@Mcunha, Really great low poly character. Nice texture work to.

@Asvarduil, nice, it reminds me of the poe ghosts in zelda

I just finished texturing my quick little low poly character that I am working on just for fun and as a personal training/ practice to teach myself different character modeling techniques.

I call him "The Snowconesolid Fanboy"
    Yep, since I don't have any real fans, I decided to create one :)

He is a huge fan of Snowconesolid games, definetly my biggest fan yet, He owns all my games and beat each one over 15 times!

I still need to rig him for animation and poses

Edit: Ok quickly rigged it with rigify! Now he is ready to animate and do cool poses

how fun!

Edit 2: Ok, now in unity.

I always have this dilemma where I can't decide which shader to use on my models because I tend to like both.

I usually argue with myself if I should just use my model as is with the texture or unity's bumped spec. I know it depands on what style your going for and what fits better for the game should be decided but I just never know.

What do you guys think? Which looks better to you?

on the left is how I have been showing you my model and how its rendered in blender 3d. I also got it to look this way in unity, so its default apperance. and on the right it my model with unity's bumped spec using the normals I created for the model.

I do like the shinyness on the hair and clothes and detail bump like clothes wrinkles I get with unity's bumped spec but I don't like how on some parts like the face the low poly ness is exposed and more noticable and makes the face look kind of bad actually.

On the other hand I like my default toon style that I commonly use because I find the face to be much more appealing and rendered nicely. So idk.

and since I took this image here is a comparison for my character.
    Blender render vs Unity render

They render the same.
    Ok I gotta go to bed now.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  12. MajorTmo

MajorTmo

Hi everyone !

It's my first post on the forum, your works are awesome ! :eek:
    here is a quick render of a character i'm actually making for a game project.
    I need your feedbacks ! Thank all !

$86cVQ.jpg

13. marcos

marcos

Nice character!

Only things I can see:

- The crease on the knees seems odd.
    - Add an elastic (or whatever it's called) to tie the pony tail up.
    - Maybe the front of the dress below the belt is too perfectly vertical and uniform. Hard to tell from the pic if it does, but also maybe have it break away slightly like it does at the top.

14. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

Wow I can see some really big improvements! You have gotten really better at 3D both texturing and modeling!

I am currently training and studying to get better at drawing and someday perheaps work with concept art. I wanted to see what I was capable of and drew a fanart of renger[League of legends] ( I know his pose is identical to the original one, but I did not copy, did from imagination ). The other one is a test at basic female anatomy, When I drew her I realized I used a pose that remembered a super hero, so I drew her some super hero clothes : ).

View attachment 95615

View attachment 95616

Do you guys have any opinion regarding how to get better at drawing faster? Currently I'm practically copying drawings and real life objects, and each time I copy one, I learn at least 1 new thing, like how to draw eyes, how to draw a plant, etc. Is there a better way of doing this?

Thanks

- Rafael

15. Thunderent

Thunderent

Pocket Artist

Some new concept.Slowly getting better.

$mfis.jpg

Aaand,she's alive!!

$7pq6.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2014
  16. Deleted User

Deleted User

some fun
    $House.png

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 13, 2014
  17. mcunha98

mcunha98

Thnaks for comments.

18. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

So, it's been a while since I posted a RPG tune.

I like to call this one, Stagnant Depths ~ Enter the Dungeon! It's a dungeon piece, inspired by the Eastern Palace remix in The Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds, and some Dragon Warrior, needless to say.

19. JuniezV2

JuniezV2

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

Those are some sleek bakes and material definition Juniez.

Here's me trying to come up with a hacky way of achieving some sort of waxy translucent look that works with static lightmapped geo.

Attached Files:

21. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Took a break from the normal vector stuff. I had this idea in my mind awhile back. Felt it was time to put bring it to life.

$Screen Shot 2014-04-16 at 9.42.21 AM.png

We will see if I can get around to animating him.

22. HolBol

HolBol

Very punny. Punbelievable. etc.

Anyway- today's painting thing.

23. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Wow, looks amazing.

24. snowconesolid

snowconesolid

I just posted a blog post about this on dev blog over here

But here is a shorter version. So pretty much my goal was to create a simple character that I could reuse and create a variety of the same character.
    I created "The SnowconeSolid Cats". A variety of colorful cats who help me around the house (Thats the character description I will go for right now haha)

Anyway
    Crazy cats Webplayer Demo!
    (walk around and check out all my cats!)

Group Photo!

the individual cats:

BlueBerry Cat

Yellow Cat

Orange Cat

Red Cat

Green Cat

purrrrrple Cat

Blue Blue cat

Grey Cat

Sunset Cat

9 Different cats, 9 lives.

:)

More Soon. I will probably post a "Making Of" for my next quick practice character model.

Edit: Im thinking about maybe selling some of my newer character models such as this "Pack Of cats" in the asset store. I don't know though. Probably not now but sometime in the future I will probably start creating 3d character models and character model packs to sell in the asset store. Im just not familiar with the procedure and how it works. Has anyone here sold their own 3d character/ game models on the unity asset store? Whats required in the model? Does it need to be animated or could you just sell the model? I would like to know from you guys if anyone has had experience with selling on the unity asset store.

idk for now, this is something I need to research and look into but maybe down the road I would love to do something like that on the side.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2014
  25. Jack_Frost

Jack_Frost

*bows down*

26. Ocid

Ocid

Posts like these are one of the reasons I enjoy looking at this thread.

Great to see you grow over time and improve on your skills.

27. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

28. marcos

marcos

This looks awesome! More like a sneak peak, am I right, guys??

(Because mountains)

Thank you! :)

I spent another 30 minutes or so fixing up the structural lines so that it reads better:

Rendered in Marmoset Toolbag 2. Ignore the jagged bits of sideburn, I'll probably FiberMesh it up later.

I also recorded the process thus far, if there is any interest.

29. mcunha98

mcunha98

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  30. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Added more screenshots of my level to my thread, check it out here Link to Post

31. AgentOntario

AgentOntario

So I've been developing a logo for my new game. I don't think there's enough development done on it yet to completely start a new thread. I'm just working on artwork for it right now. But I do have a complete logo done up for the game:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/01wm0xxycu2hgzz/AP%20Logo.png

It's going to be a physics based platformer where horrible things happen at random.

32. HolBol

HolBol

Wrap the public link to that file in

33. dzodzu

dzodzu

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  34. AgentOntario

AgentOntario

Last edited: Apr 19, 2014
  35. marcos

marcos

An hour and fifteen minutes last night:

36. eskovas

eskovas

Don't have my main pc with me and was a little bored, so i used my laptop with unity indie to make this:

$Untitled.jpg

I modeled 2 very basic rocks, the rest of the models and textures are from Unity's free assets.

37. dzodzu

dzodzu

Nice one Marcos, who is that beauty?

38. K-E-I

K-E-I

Now i'm working on photo mode which is pretty similar to gran turismo.
    Realistic motion blur with adjustable shutter speed based on frame accumulation.
    $mp412C_5.jpg
    Also finished ibl\pbr shaders, so lighting on the car will work properly in any situation.
    $mp412C.jpg
    $mp412C_4.jpg

39. Tiny-Man

Tiny-Man

Hey guys, first post in this end of the forum.
    So I wanted to learn how to sculpt clothing, watched some principles and stuff.
    Heres my first ever clothing sculpt of a t-shirt

I would like some feedback so I can improve, since I know it isn't perfect, so letting others to help me to improve would be awesome :)

40. mcunha98

mcunha98

41. marcos

marcos

Thanks!

It's meant to be Jean Shrimpton. Hopefully I'm improving with likenesses, still got a long way to go.

42. KheltonHeadley

KheltonHeadley

Yes please!

43. dzodzu

dzodzu

If I knew her, I would recognize right away. Nice job!

Hey, that are some impressive images! Is this really inside Unity? How did you get that awesome shadows? Or they are baked? Tell us more about the game, you made me damn curious.

44. K-E-I

K-E-I

I'm baking ambient occlusion maps and multiply it by IBL, instead of using unity's default ambient light. So indirect shadows in most cases are almost same, but color is based on hdr environment cubemap which updates in realtime.
    I'm working on this project as a hobby along with a couple friends.
    The main idea to make a realistic car physics simulation, with the ability to customize car like in Street Legal Racing: Redline, with the regulations of professional motorsport and bring it into the multiplayer.
    I still don't know yet will it work, so there no announcement.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2014
  45. marcos

marcos

Here you go:

Cheers!

Here's a timelapse of her too:

I need to find a better quality thing to record paintings. Anyone have any tips? I was thinking of maybe streaming on twitch and downloading the video that their system records, assuming that's how it works, of course.

46. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

Perhaps you could use Open Broadcaster Software, but instead of publishing to a stream (e.g. Twitch) you could just save it to a movie file instead? I've been toying with that idea for recording Vlogs for my next project.

47. tweedie

tweedie

48. dzodzu

dzodzu

Very interesting way of dealing with the shadows. The quality reaches aaa games!
    I really would love to have the possibility to play inside of this beautiful interior!
    Looks great, and wish you best luck.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2014
  49. dzodzu

dzodzu

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  50. Juba

Juba