Search Unity

Unity and Mountain Lion

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by macdude2, Jul 25, 2012.

1. macdude2

macdude2

Has anyone dared to take the plunge yet? I have heard ML is much faster than than Lion so it seems to be worth the only 20 dollars necessary to buy it. However, it would also mean downloading a new version of Xcode and risking the chance that certain things are broken on Unity. Has anyone taken all the steps to get their project working on ML?

2. helios

helios

3. tomkowz

tomkowz

Hi, i'm downloading Mountain Lion and i've got Unity 3.5.2f2 and Xcode 4.3.2 . How unity works in Mountain Lion?

4. AngryOrange

AngryOrange

5. Farfarer

Farfarer

Going to hold off until Luxology fix modo601 SP2 in Mountain Lion...

6. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I just submitted a game to Apple and now I'm working on the Android build. So, I'm going to hold off until both are released. Maybe a month or so. :(

7. User340

User340

I just installed it and so far everything seems fine.

8. macdude2

macdude2

hmmmm, I am an apple fan so I would love to download it.... I think I am going to be doing a clean install of mountain lion anyway. If it doesn't work, I will revert back to lion, but I am going to try it. I will report back to detail my experience.

9. ZeroByteDNA

ZeroByteDNA

I'm curious why anybody would expect there to be difficulties with an upgrade from Lion to Mountain Lion given what's actually in the particular update. It's not a major shift - it's a minor shift, almost a service pack. I would be surprised if there were any issues.

On the matter of ML though, how many folks have dorked around with Game Center and the multiplatform aspects there...or are considering that arena?

10. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's Apple, they break stuff with OS upgrades. 10.6 broke stuff and it was similarly a "minor" upgrade from 10.5.

--Eric

11. petey

petey

I wouldn't be surprised if Xcode and unity won't get along for a while, especially with plugins!
    I'll probably still upgrade though :)

Yeah, I'd love to know how to access the game center stuff. I wonder if it works with any of the built in unity GC stuff.

12. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Hey guys, I recently received an iMac and quite frankly the performance was terrible. Mainly in illustrator, just curious as to whether there has been a performance drop fOr anyone else on lion with illustrator? Im talking 15 second wait periods when moving paths with effects. Any who, sent it back as I thought I had a faulty machine, awaiting my new one.

I7
    4gb ram(upgraded to 16)
    Unvamped gcard
    21.5inch

Also, for.a new mac user not really knowing what Xcode is, would it be a huge mistake upgrading to mountain?

Thanks
    -charlie

13. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

That's because Adobe has been really lazy with the OS X side of Creative Suite, honestly. The same problems exist in Photoshop too, to a lesser extent.

14. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Performance wise it was about as good as my old dell dimension.. If its true that's it's nothing to do with my hardware then working is unbearable.

15. MarigoldFleur

MarigoldFleur

I'm lucky if Illustrator will load in less than 2 minutes sometimes. Yet if I load it on my honestly less powerful PC? Opens in maybe 15 seconds, tops, no performance issues either. It's pretty awful and the only thing that seems to still work right in CS is stuff I don't use like After Effects and Premiere.

16. UnknownProfile

UnknownProfile

I would assume because unlike the rest of the Creative Suite, Premier and After Effects are competing directly with Apple's Final Cut Pro and Motion, so they need to make it work well on OS X to compete. The others don't have too much competition, except for maybe Soundbooth/Audition (I forget which one replaced the other) with Apple's Logic.

17. mindlube

mindlube

I've been using Unity 3.5.4 w/ OS 10.8 all day now and not any problems other than this but that's just a 1 time annoyance really.

Mac Pro 3,1
    ATI Radeon HD 5770

So far mountain lion seems like a really polished, good release, to me!

18. Jaimi

Jaimi

Strange - I've seen no problems in Photoshop at all - performance is great even with giant photos. Haven't used illustrator though.

I haven't had any problems, but you might want to wait a few days. Honestly, doesn't feel like it's that big of an update, so if you don't need something right now, just take your time.

I have an i7, 16GB mbp, should be similar performance.

19. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Starting to get a little worried that I've just spent $2.4k on hardware that isn't going to perform its job... I'd like to get other peoples experiences in illustrator on mac if anyone has at please?

20. BigToe

BigToe

I have a MacBook Pro with CS5 and Illustrator takes about 14 seconds to launch and is fluid when working. Not sure what is giving you the problem, but just want to reassure you that it's most likely not the hardware.

21. User340

User340

Just installed a Unity build onto my iPad from Mountain Lion successfully. Have had no issues running Unity on ML yet.

22. helios

helios

What version of Xcode?

23. Steffan-Poulsen

Steffan-Poulsen

@CharlieSamways

I had similar issues when doing heavy vector based stuff in Photoshop.

The solution/workaround that I found was this:

24. stimarco

stimarco

Hi Charlie,

The problem with Adobe is that they took forever to make the full transition to OS X from the earlier (non-UNIX) Mac OS and are paying the price for this. Until surprisingly recently, their apps relied heavily on the legacy "Carbon" API, which was only ever intended to make it easier to create quick and dirty ports from the old Mac OS while developers got to grips with the newer "Cocoa" API. It was officially deprecated years ago, but Adobe just kept on using it. Their flagship applications—Photoshop and Illustrator—are so old that they have decades of legacy cruft in them to clean out and that was, presumably, considered "too hard" for many years.

If you have Adobe CS5.5 or earlier, the Illustrator app isn't even 64-bit, and also lacks any hardware acceleration. Only the just-released CS6 version is fully 64-bit—presumably it also supports OS X's hardware acceleration too, including OpenCL, which lets you offload complex calculations to the GPU.

If you don't use all the Illustrator (or Photoshop) features, there are a surprising number of alternatives available now for the Mac, mostly from small developers.

A short list of what's available can be found here. I have Pixelmator, LineForm, iDraw—both Mac and iPad versions—and Intaglio from that list myself. I mainly use iDraw and LineForm for my vector work, with Pixelmator for image editing. (I also use Pixen for 8-bit-style game art as that's where my graphics roots lie, though that's obviously not for everyone!)

There are many others. And, of course, they're all so much cheaper than any one of Adobe's apps that you can easily afford to buy two or three complementary apps if you need to, while still saving money.

Opacity[/url is often overlooked in many of these "Top 10" lists, which is a crying shame: it lets you batch-export vector art files using data to customise the output. Ideal for cranking out loads of buttons that need to have the same visual style, but require different text, colours, etc. You design the button once, then let the batch exporter modify each output file according to your data. With a bit of practice, it can be very, very powerful and save you hours—even days—of work.

With these, (plus Flux 3, Sandvox and Coda for web development work), I've not found myself missing any of the Adobe apps. And I'm saving a fortune each year not having to pay Adobe's ridiculous prices too. They're particularly overpriced here in the EU.

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  25. holyjewsus

holyjewsus

I also use CS5 on my macbook pro from 2010 everyday at work for architectural drawings (I'm bad, I don't use auto cad for my line weights :p)

but I find that a real killer for me in terms of performance in illustrator is number of vector lines, I don't really use effects so i'm not sure there, but my startup time is about 20-30 seconds.

26. macdude2

macdude2

Just wanted to let you guys know, ML is working great on my mid 2009 13" 2.53ghz core 2 duo computer. I have not tried to export to Xcode yet, but I am sure that will work fine. For anyone still on the fence, ML is a ton faster than Lion and the addition of iCloud it simply amazing.

27. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Charlie, just install bootcamp windows 7 if problem persists and do the work on there for that. Or just get rid of illustrator. Mountain Lion is faster across the board though from what I've read.

I don't have any photoshop slowdowns on my 2009 macbook, but its an old version of photoshop and I do not use a billion layers.

28. CharlieSamways

CharlieSamways

Thanks for all the info peeps, And hippo, I think you of all people know getting rid of illustrator is not an option for me, its my main work station. The windows 7 idea sounds good tho.

In regards to the CS5.5 onwards, Im going to stick with CS5, quite frankly i find CS6 disgusting to use and all these products that are going for this dark grey colour scheme are stupid.. Its a hideous look that makes everything harder to find.

note: not even tried photoshop, all this has nothing to do with photoshop I am purely talking about illustrator :)
    -charlie

Last edited: Jul 26, 2012
  29. mindlube

mindlube

I just noticed that keyboard input is broken in the Asset Store, making it unusable for search and/or purchases. Not sure if this is a ML issue, or a Unity 3.5.4 issue but I submitted a bug report.

30. Lars-Steenhoff

Lars-Steenhoff

I would not be surprised if there were any issues because you get a new version of Xcode and this can break things
    + they took out x11 so you would need that too

31. mindlube

mindlube

I'm not so sure about the X11 dependency. I don't have it installed, yet was able to import Pngs just fine. Maybe other parts of Unity require X11 for something?

Have not tried building for iOS yet. I'm sure everything will go "kaboom" then :)

32. User340

User340

33. macdude2

macdude2

You are right about the asset store keyboard input problem. It is still possible though to copy and paste into the search bar so do that instead for the time being.

34. User340

User340

Just a heads up, ML did seem to clear out my Asset Server installation because I'm not able to connect to that computer's Asset Server anymore. I wonder in which directory Asset Server projects are located...

35. Knertified

Knertified

You need to download the latest X11. Please see the following link from Apple: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293

I recorded Unity trying to open up hundreds of copies of X11. I'm assuming it was trying to open up a copy for each asset I had. Pretty funny. I was able to kill Unity and X11 from the command line.

https://vimeo.com/46491707

36. User340

User340

Ahh, scary video!

37. orionburcham

orionburcham

haha yeah, just had that happen to me, too.

Just wanted to pop in to say that I just upgraded, and I am seeing one strange issue with my current Unity project so far:

When I first load my project in the editor, I get a ton of various null object reference errors, and these: "ArgumentException: NameToLayer can only be called from the main thread." Plus, similar things break when I start selecting objects with custom Editors, etc.

However, reimporting any script once fixes things. Not sure exactly what's going on, but I'll be submitting a bug soon. Anyone else seeing this?

38. gunfish

gunfish

I have the same issue with ML and the unity asset store.. I can't type any numerical characters.. e.g. for credit card info

39. mindlube

mindlube

@gunfish, it's fixed in 3.5.5 RC (I'm on the beta list). In the meantime you can copy-paste into the search field checkout fields.
    @orionburcham - I am suspecting the same problem with keyboard input could break a some custom editors and popup windows, but dont' know for sure.

40. zombiegorilla

zombiegorilla

My MBP is a couple of years old and I use Illustrator in a production environment every day. (MBP 4gb,OSX 10.7.3, Illustrator CS5.5 Cintiq 21UX).

Generally speaking, it works great. It does take about a minute or so to launch, but I pretty much leave it open all day. And certainly it is but snappier when not using the Cintiq.

There are few things that will affect the performance of your doc though. A huge artboard size or a crazy amount of artboards (30+). But you can also mitigate that by hiding layers you are not working on. Also huge stacks of transparent objects using blend modes other than "normal".

Also you mentioned effects. Effects will definitely slow things down a lot! Make sure your doc settings match your use. For example if you are creating art that is for web/games, make sure you working in RGB, and your raster settings are at screen (72ppi). If you are using a lot of effects, consider rasterizing ones that you aren't going to change, or if you might change them, dupe them - hide them - rasterize the one on screen. a bitmap will perform on screen in illustrator better than a vector with a bunch of effects. And you have a massive amount of effects, you might consider switching to photoshop. The effects are nice to have in illustrator, but the tool is more about vector illustration, and is optimized for that.

If you have a ton of objects with a ton of anchors, it is good to occasionally go through and optimize your artwork. Get rid of (or punchout) areas that obscured by elements not seen. Clean up excess points.

Those are just general tips, it really depends on what your document looks like and how you are using illustrator.

Additionally, if your doc isn't too big/effects heavy/element laden, you can look at your system. Keep active fonts to a minimum. Use a font manager if you have a ton of fonts. (I have about 30k font families, having them all active just kills the system and apps like illustrator). Use disk utility to repair permissions. If your permissions get out of whack, Illustrator good be bogging down trying to constantly trying to access something it dosent have permission to. When it is performing badly, take a look in your activity manager to see what is going on. Same with logs.

For example, when I get home from work, my Mac would suddenly slow way down. I discovered that if I don't manually unmount network drives before I leave, the system will constantly ping/look for them for several minutes before giving up. My logs were full of errors related to trying to find a drive/retrying. Checking the logs may give you insight to what is going on and possible problems that you would never consider.

And lastly, make sure you have PLENTY of free disk space. 15-20% of your drive empty. Adobe apps love plenty of room to play with when active.

Hopefully something in there is of use to you. Illustrator should work just fine on your machine.

ZG

Last edited: Jul 28, 2012
  41. Moonjump

Moonjump

I'm using Illustrator CS4 on a 5 year old iMac. It is the slowest piece of software I use, but is fine most of the time. It does take a long time to open and close, but the only really slow aspects I use regularly are the Effects. zombiegorilla's suggestion of copying the layer, rasterise the copy and hide the original is a great idea.

You are experiencing an Adobe problem. They have treated the Mac platform badly for a long time, so it is understandable why Steve Jobs went to war with them.

42. StefanoCecere

StefanoCecere

i upgraded to ML, and found no problems at all with Unity and my other tons of applications i use daily.
    i just didn't test the iOS export.. i'll do at the end of august

NOTE: it is a really worth upgrade! everything is snappier/faster!

good holidays everyone!

43. spartan

spartan

Mountain Lion Unity are running flawlessly!

44. Democre

Democre

Only one issue. And it's not really an issue, but when developing for iOS, Unity uses the PVRTextTool which in turn requires X11.
    X11 is no longer included with OSX as of Mountain Lion.
    Using any X11 tools will point you at this page: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5293
    This in turn will point you at a page that you can download xQuartz, a community driven project that includes X11 client and server files.

45. Deleted User

Deleted User

upgraded to mountain lion, no problems so far, only the X11 thing, but once you download XQuartz no problems

46. SevenBits

SevenBits

Okay, thanks for the issue. Hopefully Unity will fix this so X11 is not required though.

47. Democre

Democre

and fix the asset store search box

48. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

That's up to the creators of PVRTexTool.

--Eric

49. Ferazel

Ferazel

I can confirm that for the most part Unity 3.5.4 works great. The only problem I've run into (as others have noted) is the Asset Store search field not handling keyboard input properly.

50. KDR

KDR

Can anyone confirm that Maya still works fine with ML?