Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Shuriken Magic [EFFECT PACK]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by kalamona, Jul 23, 2012.

1. kalamona

kalamona

Hello all,
    I am Kalamona, creator of the successful "Dynamic Elements" effect pack. I decided to make a new pack, that uses the Shuriken particle system.

This effect pack contains 40 effects, using custom scripting, models, and of course Shuriken. Missile and breath attacks also present. You can try the
    WEBPLAYER DEMO
    for observing all the effects, dynamics, etc.

If you want to try before you buy, there is a free unitypackage:
    3 DEMO EFFECTS

Want to buy? Here is the
    ASSETSTORE LINK - 35$

I plan to update the product with optimisations and more effects, until it reaches about 40-50 effects, and increase the price accordingly, just as I did with Dynamic elements.

Well, what else can I say? Feel free to ask questions, share your opinions, and tell me if you have an effect idea :)

cheers
    Kalamona

Last edited: Sep 21, 2012
  2. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

the best ive seen so far :)

3. ZJP

ZJP

Kalamona is back... Nice works..

4. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

I really like these Kalamona, great work as always. In regards to ideas, I'd like to see more projectiles with their splash/impact effects.

Ideas:

1) Acid Bolt/Acid Splash
    2) Ice Bolt/Ice Splash
    3) Raining Ice Shards
    4) Flaming Skull Projectile/Fiery Bone Splash
    5) Plasma Bolt/Plasma Splash
    6) Psionic Beam/ Psionic Splash
    7) Psionic Bolt/ Psionic Splash
    8) Blue or Purple Fireball (Ryu Streetfighter Style)/Fire Splash

Just a few ideas, that come to mind immediately. I'll be purchasing this and your other pack shortly. My company's looking to shave some development time off our project, so we've been purchasing a lot of 3D content, and I just added your effects pack to the top of the list!

5. Yippie

Yippie

Awesome! Love your effect packs, they're totally cool

6. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Looks amazing ... will buy as soon as I get home.

In terms of effects, I'd love to see the following:

1 - A shower of arrows coming from all directions all shooting towards the same point.
    2 - A hand coming up from the ground and clenching as if wrapping around something and crushing it.
    3 - Armour bonus effects ... perhaps magical armour or a shield appearing at a point along with some kind of holy light shining down on it.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

7. kalamona

kalamona

I uploaded a new webplayer version. There are some new effects, and a few optimalisations. Once the Asset Store accepts my submission, it will be live.

EDIT: Wow, the asset store was blazing fast! It is already live O.O

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  8. Rush-Rage-Games

Rush-Rage-Games

9. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

I started to play around with it and it is excellent. I love the shower of arrows ... exactly what I needed.

In terms of other ideas for updates, a meteor strike with a nice impact effect would be great. Another thing that would be useful would be something to represent a creature biting a target. Something like a creatures face coming from the ground and biting what ever is above it.

10. kalamona

kalamona

9 new effects, including ice missile + ice explosion, black hole (I really like this one :)), defensive and offensive buffs, bite, claw.

If you play the webplayer, press the down button to see the new effects first.

These effects aren't yet in the asset store, but I already submitted them.

11. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Spectacular ... absolutely amazing.

A couple of new ideas:

1 - Chains coming out of the ground and wrapping around something to represent someone being held by magical chains.
    2 - A giant fist crashing down from the ground with a big explosion. Kind of the fist of a god smashing something.
    3 - Something to show terror or fear. Perhaps the face of a screaming woman appearing from the sky and hovering over the point of contact for a few seconds before disappearing.

12. kalamona

kalamona

Haha, thanks for all the ideas, I had a chain-like one in my mind too, but I won't do effects now for a little while, as I have some other works. I will definitely update the product with more effects once I have time.

13. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Not a problem ... it's already worth more than I paid.

14. pneill

pneill

There is a bug in one of your shaders - SM_TransRimShaderIrisator.js

On line 43, you need to add "var" before "currStr=timeGoes;"

15. kalamona

kalamona

Thank you for spotting that! Though it didn't made any errors at me, it is still more exact that way. I will fix it in the new release. Just finished my critter pack, so I am ready for another bunch of effects.

16. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Just purchased it and loving it! I look forward to future updates; more projectiles please haha. I'd also like to ask if there is an immediate feature that can be manipulated via code for effects such as the ice block, to hold the animation at it's peak while keeping an objects held in the ice block. If not, looks like we'll be coding it ourselves.

17. kalamona

kalamona

Hello,
    Thanks for purchasing.
    Sadly no instant solution, but that ice block has 3 animations, "appear", "stay", "disappear". Plus one anim, "ALLANIMS", which it currently uses. If you want to control how long it should stay, you can try using these.
    If you want it to stay for longer, you might also want to increase the duration of the particle systems on the effect (topmost parameter).

cheers
    Kalamona

18. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Much appreciated Kalamona. I'm looking forward to future updates. Any idea when you'll be adding more? Thanks for any info in advance.

19. ImogenPoot

ImogenPoot

Looks like something is screwed up with your webplayer demo... Doesn't start ^^. You are the first where it doesn't work ;)

20. kalamona

kalamona

imogenPoot: Hm, I just clicked on it, and it worked to me :/ And it wasn't changed recently. Could someone else check it?

AaronVictoria: It really depends on a lot of things, but it shouldn't take more than two weeks.

21. Jaimi

Jaimi

Worked great for me.

22. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

I've posted this is the WIP thread but it looks old, so here... Great effects!

Beam/Impact and more "physical" effects; bullets and arrows as single projectiles for example, would be nice. Also, using Unity projectors for effects that fit on uneven ground would add a lot to the concerned effects (no idea if you do that yet, the cubes in your scene could be in an excluded layer and the plane gives no indication for uneven terrain).

23. AaronVictoria

AaronVictoria

Thanks for the feedback Kalamona, I look forward to them. I also tried the link and it's working fine for me as well.

24. ChiefPMM

ChiefPMM

Kalamona ... how do you extend the time for the ice trail before it disappers for the iceballbase effect? I can't seem to make the trail last longer. Thanks!

EDIT: I just figured it out through the Shuriken editor. Works very well!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2012
  25. sonicviz

sonicviz

Hi,
    I get an error importing this to an iOS project.
    "SM_TRandRimShaderIrisator.js BCE00005 Unknown Identifier 'currStr'
    Line 43 currStr = timegoes

ty!

26. pneill

pneill

It's simple bug. Just add "var" in front of the currStr. So the line should read

27. sonicviz

sonicviz

ah...I guess I should have tried that! doh! ty

28. kalamona

kalamona

Thank you for reporting the problem. I already sent a fix to the Asset Store, let's hope they update quickly (also 4 new effects, not more because I wanted to submit this fix ASAP)

29. AdamWaters

AdamWaters

I purchased the pack last week and love it. I liked it so much I purchased your other one as well.

I noticed that you were taking suggestions on effects to add to the pack, and I was wondering if you still were? I have a Buff that increases vision ranged attack range, but nothing in the pack seems to fit that.

Anyways, great work and I really appreciate the care and hardwork you put into this.

30. ImogenPoot

ImogenPoot

Well for me it doesn't it brings up "Install Unity Webplayer" all the time. And I try 5 webplayer things here a day I believe and this was the only one so far that didn't work. So something must be wrong on your side ;). I am on Windows 7 and Google Chrome BTW.

31. quydoau

quydoau

Hi, I understand that the package was based on shuriken and scaling is possible but difficult, I'm willing to have a go at scaling the effects (at least until it becomes too much trouble). Anyone has any information on scaling the effect? Thanks.

32. sonicviz

sonicviz

33. quydoau

quydoau

Thanks sonicviz I'll check it out. I don't have any use for the CFX but the editor script seems very interesting.

34. kalamona

kalamona

Hey,
    Vision/range buff: I began creating one, should be in the next update.

Particle Scaler script: it is great that it works with all shuriken particles! Some of my effects use other stuff too (trails, models and some scripts), but scaling them is easy compared to the shuriken partycle system. So it should help greatly.

I might ask the creator of CFX to release the particle scaler as a standalone product, we will see what happens.

Waterfall: Well, I was thinking about it in the past too. Maybe, but I don't promise anything. The biggest issue here that a waterfall either looks like a general water attack effect (so it appears, disappears, and is not very waterlike), or a realistic waterfall in a world, like in an RPG, which looks good, but it is not a simple effect, and really needs some background to be understandable.

35. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

A blind spell effect would be .... as an opposite to the vision / range buff.

Somthing that would be very helpful would be a time delay effect. Something to show that the target cannot do anything until time elapses. Something like a hovering hourglass that turns with sand going from the top to the bottom.

36. AdamWaters

AdamWaters

That's great to hear and I really appreciate it.

If you're looking for more effects to fill it out, these would be my other ideas:

Air Attack - A spear of air to make a longer projectile. Like this.

Force Explosions - Less fire and more blasts smoke with things that shoot off away from it.

Earth Projectile - A spiky rock and leaves a trail of dirt on the ground behind it.

Bigger Glyphs - Area of Effect glyphs that look good over large areas, to show off larger spells. Glyph Examples.

Blind Effect - I like Rajmahal's idea for a blind effect.

Cloak Effect - Something to show that the unit gets a bonus for hiding or sneaking

Poison Effect - Greasy Green Bubbles rising from the unit showing that it's sick or poisoned.

Psychic Attack/Effects/Projectiles - Something with lots of weird Pulsing effects or oily tendrils whipping and tugging.
    Tendril: http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb57090/bleach/en/images/1/1d/Hōrin_(Disintegrating_Circle)_.jpg
    Psychic eye: http://www.coolstuffinc.com/images/Products/mtg art/Weatherlight/Psychic Vortex.jpg
    Pulsing: http://www.collectorscache.com/StoreModules/ProductImages/765/psychicsoul.jpg

I think I'm done offering more work for you. :) Keep up the awesome stuff and I'll keep an eye out for any updates or new releases you have coming.

37. kevdotbadger

kevdotbadger

I'm about to commit to purchasing this, however what do you mean by "I plan to update the product with optimisations and more effects, until it reaches about 40-50 effects, and increase the price accordingly, just as I did with Dynamic elements.". Basically, will I get every effect if I purchase now?

38. kalamona

kalamona

AdamWaters: Thanks for the ideas, I will surely do a few from them :)

kevdotbadger: Yes. The pack contains 40-something effects now, and I plan to update it until it reaches 50-something. Everyone who purchased the pack will get the updates for free, even if I increase the price (it is how asset store works). This is good for both the purchaser (he gets the future updates for free), and the seller (he gets some money right away, and can gather feedback about his product - mainly if it is worth to support it further or not).

Also if you want to try before you buy, there is a free demo package of 3 effects.

39. kalamona

kalamona

Added a few new effects, well, mostly fireball variants. Rainbow fireball, green fireball, and explosions to these, also vision buff, blindness debuff (i am not sure about these, but hey, the update is free :) ), and a poisonous fume type continuous particle.

WEBPLAYER DEMO HERE

After clicking and watching the rainbow explosion, use the down button to see the new effects first.

40. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

These are great .... appreciate the update. If you're doing any more, one that would help a lot for my project would be a "Time Stop / stasis" effect. Something to show that the target is frozen in time and can't do anything.

41. bufflogic

bufflogic

Webplayer demo is broke. acts like I need to install Unity player.....but I don't.
    Using Chrome.

EDIT: Worked on Firefox

42. kalamona

kalamona

Thanks for reporting. I've put up a new webplayer demo. Maybe this one will be OK.

Other news: a small update, containing 5 new effects.

43. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

That's awesome ... thanks for the update. Love the weapon break in particular.

44. Metron

Metron

I've got the same problem here (Chrome also)...

45. kalamona

kalamona

Hmm, that is getting annoying. I might try downloading unity again tomorrow.

46. GonzoCubFan

GonzoCubFan

I don't understand why I need to install a Unity Web player when I have the full Unity package installed. Why can't you just create a web app that will play your demo? Sadly, I'll be looking at other packages. It might be my loss, but the requirement to see what is in the package is absurd. At the very least, you could put up a simple video.

47. sleglik

sleglik

Is it so hard remove s from that https protocol?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6602349/SM_Demo/WebPlayer/WebPlayer.html

EDIT: Kalamona pls fix that link in your first post of this topic.... webplayer have problem to be launched in https protocol

Last edited: Sep 20, 2012
  48. kalamona

kalamona

slegik: I edited that post according to your direction :) Lets hope this fixes it...

49. yahodahan

yahodahan

Great work! Once I convince myself of a game to use these in, I'll be purchasing ;)

50. Rajmahal

Rajmahal

Not sure if you plan to add any more effects to this pack but if you do, here are some ideas that would be really helpful for me:

- An armour break effect similar to your weapon break. Perhaps the shield floating up and breaking?
    - An armour or shield deflecting a hit
    - Time stop effect

All the best,