Search Unity

[Behind the Scenes] Understanding Transformation Matrices

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Diviner, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Diviner

Diviner

Knowledge of Transformation matrices in Unity isn't mandatory in order to make a good game. Unity handles all the complex calculations behind the scenes for the most common matrix operations. However, having a good understanding of transformation matrices gives us a greater liberty in the development phase, and allows us to achieve behaviors that the engine isn't designed to achieve on its own.

The following link leads to a series of lectures on this subject. The lectures are performed by MIT Dr Gilbert Strang, one of the top scientific minds in his field. I should point out that even though these episodes aren't advanced or expert, a basic understanding of algebra is required to follow them (the first episode requires the viewer to know how to solve 1st, 2nd and 3rd degree equations, understand Vectors, and be able to perform graphs on a Cartesian coordinate system). Anyone with at least a high-school diploma should be able to follow these episodes just fine.

http://ocw.mit.edu/courses/mathematics/18-06-linear-algebra-spring-2010/video-lectures/

2. sonic220

sonic220

I've studied this in university, but I still don't know the use of algebra and geometry in video game making, his lecture cover this aspect?

3. Diviner

Diviner