Search Unity

Does google chrome now include Unity plugin?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by redss, Jul 16, 2012.

1. redss

redss

I thought the latest version of google Chrome for LINUX (version 20) had the Unity plugin support built in? But the games I try to play still say "no plugin available. to display this content".

Do I have to enable something for Unity games to play in Google Chrome on Linux (ubuntu 10.04)?

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

There is no unity webplayer plugin for linux and there won't be any.

Only NaCl builds can work on Linux, thats at maximum those you see on the chrome store

3. redss

redss

Thanks. Can you clarify what the difference is between (1) a web based game that is designed to be executed inside the Unity browser plugin, and (2) a web based game designed to be executed in the Google Native Client?

The problem is there is a lot of misleading information on the internet leading one to think that a Unity plugin game will also automatically run in Google Chrome without a plugin, because of articles stating that Google Chrome will play Unity games without the plugin.

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Google Chrome can play Unity games without a plugin if the developer exported it as Native Client build.
    Otherwise it won't unless the plugin is present.

And the difference is that those running in the unity plugin run on a full native core opted for the platform (Windows and OSX) while NaCl yields an intermediate codelayer that gets executed by the Chrome NativeClient without any unity platform code present. It completely runs within Chrome

Webplayer builds have access to the full platform rendering in question (including DX11 on Unity 4 I guess), while NaCl is basically GLES 2 (similar to mobiles)

there are various other deltas but all of these are always related to the delta of native platform code vs nacl, as such you can check the nacl documentations at google on this matter

5. redss

redss

Thanks again. I'm curious about something: when a developer exports a game as a Unity build, is there much more work required in order to also export the game as a Native Client build at the same time?

6. redss

redss

A couple more questions:

Do I understand correctly that there is a single "webplayer build" that will run on Windows or OSX (like Adobe Flash builds) or does the Windows webplayer require a build targeted for Windows only?

Also, you stated that there won't be a webplayer plugin for Linux, yet I have read that Unity 4 will introduce a Linux publishing option "preview". Am I missing something here?

7. Swearsoft

Swearsoft

Yes, you simply haven't understood that Unity can export both Webplayers (versions of the game that play within a browser) and platform specific executables (exe, app etc). When exporting as a webplayer you have the option to enable NaCl.