Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Character System

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by RobinS, Jul 13, 2012.

1. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

thanks a lot for the answer! :D

2. RobinS

RobinS

No problem, you are welcome! ;-)

3. cyberianhd

cyberianhd

Hello, i am planning on purchasing this asset pack but first i want to test it. I went to the demo but it says that i need to install unity web player, i have installed it over 5 times and it still says it, i have also restarted my computer. Any help?

4. Broken-Toy

Broken-Toy

5. RobinS

RobinS

Thanks @Broken Toy

@pancakesplatter - Hello, i did some minor fixes and uploaded this version to dropbox recently.
    It is not finished yet and has some small glitches, these will be solved in version 3 which I'm working on ;-)
    Here is the new link : https://dl.dropbox.com/u/39674817/CharSys_v.2_Web/CharSys_v.html
    Hope this one works for you ;-)

Cheers

6. sleglik

sleglik

Your character system is good but I think that climbing needs to be more user friendly. For example when you press "E" and there is no object above character should do nothing. Also I have problem to climb down. Probably the worst problem is that "catchable object" must be EXACTLY above your head. I am unable to climb that tower.

7. RobinS

RobinS

@sleglik - As said above, this demo version has some glitches (WIP). Uploaded for @pancakesplatter.
    However, i will post a Version 3 demo as soon as it is ready for demonstration.
    Thanks for your understanding.

8. Mihai93

Mihai93

@robinS what you going to do on update 3?

9. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Hi Robin, i don't know if you already received the download link for the V4.0 beta. so that you can take a look at mechanim. Looks interesting. Hope you ll be able to finish your 1.3 update before trying to figure things out with the V4.0.
    There are a few demo scenes to check mechanim out hope that you'll be able to improve your character system even better with that.
    Cheers

10. RobinS

RobinS

Hi rosor,
    Thanks a lot. I have done some tests and will release a Mecanim version of the Character System after the next update v3 is done.
    It's a truck load of work but having both Systems in one package will be worth it, imo ;-)
    Very kind of you, cheers!

11. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Robin, sorry to bother you again... I m almost done with the animations. However i have a few concerns about climbing. How did you handle that in your script? On my end I'm wondering if I need to translate the root when he's going to pull up from an edge or if i have to make the anim play on place .... Do you disable the character controller( if you use one ) or something like that on such specific and critic moment ? also do you split this pull up animation ? I'm asking that to avoid werid glitches and bad interpolation.
    Thanks in advance for your support.

12. Mihai93

Mihai93

Please reply this.....

What are you using for make that video for add the sub bar???

13. RobinS

RobinS

Hi rosor,
    Sorry for the delay and no worries ;-)
    I did it with a mixture of both, a bit root motion and transform translation. i did some tests and looked most appealing this way.
    Used a rigid body and capsule collider instead of the character controller. In most cases it's enough to limit speed and/or rotation for doing fine tuning such a setup, at least for this. But you can disable the Motor and most other components due states and/or booleans.
    Thank you too ;-)
    Cheers

14. DiegoC

DiegoC

Hi,
    I tested the webplayer, and I saw 2 errors:
    - I can't rotate the player or camera when I push Shift button for run,
    - When I have the sword in the hand and push climb, if I push C key not actived the idle animated , actived the get sword animated again

Regards.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2012
  15. RobinS

RobinS

Hi DiegoC,
    It's a wanted behavior, when left shift is held down rotation is disabled, great fine tune/tweak materials, image effects, shadows etc.
    Left shift for sprinting is a toggle or on/off switch. You can change that to your flavor as you wish very easily in seconds.
    I do some polishing for the next release Version 3 at the moment, i think i know what you mean and will look into it ;-)

Cheers

16. jessica1986

jessica1986

I want to look at the demo but it says "Install unity web player". Everything else is running on my player , i have the latest install. I dont know whats wrong with you demo

17. sefou

sefou

jessica,
    Simply replace https by http.

18. fano_linux

fano_linux

saw that too...

19. RobinS

RobinS

@jessica1986.
    I will put up a new Demo today or tomorrow showing version 3 the next huge update release, can't wait ;-)
    My apologize for the trouble.
    Cheers

20. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

Can't wait to test that!!! Fore sure it's going to be awesome.

21. Mihai93

Mihai93

hey the new webplayer??

22. Hboybowen

Hboybowen

what's going on lately?

23. RobinS

RobinS

Sorry for the silence! I'm very busy in a removal atm.
    Version 3 is in the final stages and i will upload it to the store and post a demo etc. very soon ;-)
    It just needs to pass the second test phase, thanks for your patience.
    Cheers

24. SnakebitSamurai

SnakebitSamurai

I have given you my money. I hope you enjoy it as much as I'm going to enjoy this new toy. This is just about exactly the base I've been looking for to build on for years. I'm totally scrapping mine. It sucks. I'm no coder.

Totally looking forward to v3.

25. SnakebitSamurai

SnakebitSamurai

Seriously? "Entrapment": the luring by a law-enforcement agent of a person into committing a crime. Not "I didn't research the product in its entirety."

Too, there's no law that I know of that states that any documentation is required for any product. With few exceptions, such as warning labels and all, no 'how-to' is required, but given as a 'courtesy' driven by the desire to keep a customer coming back for more. This product, as has been said, will have free updates for all customers. The seller doesn't really need you to come back and buy this again. The only laws in play here are the Laws of Economics.

Apologies for the derail. People who can't take responsibility for themselves annoy me.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
  26. RobinS

RobinS

Awesome! i'm glad you're enjoying it!
    I will upload version 3 soon.

V3 is featuring:
    - Bow, Rifle, Pistol shooting sets,
    - pull lever,
    - push button,
    - dancing
    - many bug fixes enhancements and optimizations.
    - 33 new animations + mechanics
    The package includes 123 animations now :)

Cheers

27. Archania

Archania

Awesome news Robin.. glad to see you out of the shadows again! Can't wait for the release.

28. RobinS

RobinS

Out of the shadows sounds great. have been busy with our new office lately.. finally, some brain work again, haha.
    Maybe i can upload a demo of Version 3 soon ;-)

29. Archania

Archania

That would be a good idea to keep the desire going!
    Setting up a new office is always fun.

30. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

This is going to be amazing! Can't wait to try it out!!!

31. RobinS

RobinS

Here you go :)

The demo of Version 3.

Additional input in v3:
    Q - Cycle though assigned weapon states
    R - Reload (Pistol, Rifle-mode)
    C - Draw/Holster weapon
    X - Walk
    T - Throw
    G - Dance1
    H - Dance2
    J - Dance3
    B - Pull lever
    N - Push button
    Mouse1 - Shoot
    0 and 9 - Switch scenes

To use the "social actions"(T-N), you need to hit Q once.
    This will bring you to the needed action state.

Enjoy! ;-)

32. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

tried the demo looks fun. I guess you can now go further adding some mixing transform and some procedural blending to do an aiming according to mouse input. Great stuff. Keep it up.

33. arinze eze

arinze eze

Hi RobinS,
    I know you just uploaded the V3 demo; I'm ready to buy this Character System in the Asset Store but it still says 'Version 2'. When will the version 3 replacement be made available?

34. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Hi RobinS, this is a really amazing and versatile asset! Been looking for something like this for a while, great work sir!! Really looking forward to the U4 integration.

I've tried out both the V2 V3 demos and I am having trouble diving after a jump like in your video, and climbing downwards - I always simply fall all the way to the ground. Also, I think this has been asked here before, but is it possible to grab ledges/cling to a wall whilst in the air/after a jump, as at the moment I seem to be able to only run walls to grab ledges.

35. RobinS

RobinS

@rosor - Thanks, you could use the head look controller by Rune for this, Click
    @arinze eze - Hi, I will be uploading it today if everything goes right. it's a free update, if you have a Character System v2 license, you will also have one for v3.
    @Hamesh81 - Hi, Thanks a lot! The U4 implementation is next on my list ;-)
    These are all things that can be adjusted due tweaking variables, If you fall in the reach of a ledge you can grab it with the right timing, you can adjust the space in which you can grab/catch it.
    Diving after jump works for me in the webplayer demo, you need to double tap while in the air. The impact velocity determines diving depth.

Cheers

36. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Sure ok, so while holding onto a ledge there isn't a way to start climbing back down, one can only drop to a lower ledge? Same if standing at the top of a ledge correct? I'm also curious whether this system has been tested on more irregular or curved walls, like the sides of a cave or maybe a round tower?

Also which key needs to be double tapped for the dive, I still can't get it sorry (does it work only when above the water?). Another thing I've noticed is when trying to vault low walls with the "E" key this only works if the player is at a certain angle to the wall, brilliant. However when wall climbing with "E", even if the player has their back against the wall they automatically snap around and start climbing. Is their an angle variable for climbing similar to the wall vaulting to prevent this?

37. RobinS

RobinS

Downwards climbing is designed to be drop and catch at the right moment, like in reality when you climb without a rope, you just can't bridge the gap from edge to edge with your body length.
    You can also use the wallClimb objects to climb up and down like on a ladder, just place these where the character can reach it.
    It was tested with all kind of shapes, heights and angles. You can fit the rotation and position to your wanted level geometry, this way you have full control on how the character moves on walls houses etc. See tutorial 6.00
    I missed to mention double tab W. Jumping doesn't work under water, you could of course change it how you like.
    Thanks a lot for your input, the "back against the wall climb snapping" is not wanted, i will do a fix for this before uploading.

38. RobinS

RobinS

The bug has been fixed, a new demo is up and version 3 is submitted.
    Cheers

39. RobinS

RobinS

Last edited: Sep 24, 2012
  40. Archania

Archania

Sweet. Very nice work Robin!

41. RobinS

RobinS

Thank's Archania, i really appreciate it! ;-)

42. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

No problems at all, glad I could help.

Thanks for your detailed reply, it sounds like this asset will be very practical for me. For the climbing downwards I should've been more specific. When wall climbing the shorter mud block (not the buildings in the middle, the one at the edge of the scene with the taller one behind) which has no ledges at all, it is possible to climb up and down as if on a ladder which is exactly what I need. Though when getting to almost the top of the mud block and the character goes into 'ledge hanging mode', there is no longer anyway to climb back down: pressing 'E' makes the character pull up, and pressing the 'Down Arrow' makes them drop all the way to the bottom, since there are no lower ledges to catch on to. Is there a way to get back into wall climbing mode when in ledge hanging mode? I'm pretty sure this already works in the upward climb direction, when climbing the buildings in the middle of the scene at least. Perhaps one way could be, when in ledge hang mode to assign the 'Down Arrow' for climbing down (as when in wall climbing mode) rather than release ledge/drop down, and then assign the release ledge to a new key? Just an idea.

I've also tried the jump diving again and it works just as you said, brilliant! Works for diving into water and into the ground (the latter is quite hilarious to watch actually :) ). When standing near building walls with ledges there is no more snap any more which is excellent, great work. However when near wall climb objects (ladders) such as the shorter mud block, it doesn't seem that the problem has been resolved. Standing with the character's back, still snaps them around when pressing 'E'. Also, if pressing 'E' when at approx 45 degree angles facing the wall/ladder, the character sometimes goes into the 'hanging' animation and slides all the way up the mud block wall to the top ledge. I couldn't quite pin down exactly under which conditions this happens, as depending on the angle, sometimes the character snaps to the wall into the 'wall climb' animation and other times they slide to the very top in the 'hanging' animation.

Hope this helps your development, I'll try to keep my posts shorter in the future. Let me know if you would like further testing for this amazing asset!

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  43. Gatto_matto

Gatto_matto

This product is amazing! I don't have money right now, I usually don't write, but I dream something like this...

Just one little little note. Maybe there's no problem for other people... I got stucked in the half-wall (btew, sorry for bad english). I mean, when the distance between the character and the wall is around one metre you can jump to the other side pressing simultaneously "w" and "space". But if you come into contact with the wall, you can't jump over or beyond it. You can only jump and remain in the same place.

Maybe it sounds a bit arcade-like, but i would prefer something like: I press "space", the character jumps streigth to the wall, I press "w" the character move forward a bit just to climb the little wall... or jump beyond, don't know...

Ok, sorry if I am a useless pain in the neck

Anyway, you did an excellent work

44. RobinS

RobinS

@Hamesh81 - Thanks for your support ;-)
    I made a new video which shows the drop and snap behavior at the end. It simply works with downarrow or S to drop then when falling E to catch (timing based). The Mudblock thing - will fix that for the next release. Will also look into that back to wall thing further, till now i couldn't reproduce your described behavior.
    Noted! Thanks.

@MadBlade2 - Thanks a lot!,
    I guess i know what you mean, that is caused by the capsule of the character. A single raycast is used in the bottom middle is used to check if grounded. You could of course use more raycasts or even a sphere/ capsulecast, but i'm not sure if it's worth the performance loss. My goal is to keep it fast and efficient.
    Your choice, it's easy to change.
    No problem, you're welcome ;-)

Cheers

Last edited: Sep 25, 2012
  45. RobinS

RobinS

46. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

I'll look forward to that. In the meantime, I'll see if I can get a video of what I was talking about before.

47. RobinS

RobinS

Awesome! i could reproduce it, will be fixed soon. Thanks a ton ;-)

48. RobinS

RobinS

Fixed! new demo is up.

49. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

OMG that was fast!
    Just tested it and it works great, you're a champ! Will be purchasing this in the next few days :D

50. bbsbot

bbsbot

Hello RobinS

I just saw the video about V3, and played the demo. it looks great!

I wonder how to aim with the bow. I press q switch weapon to bow, then press c to draw it, then press left-mouse, then the bow auto bend to full power and shoot with my left-mouse still pressed. I mean I don't know how to aim my target with the bow in full power stage. I think it will looks better if shoot the arrow only after player release left-mouse. by that , player can move and aim while bow draw full.
    I mean I suggest : press left mouse to draw the bow to full power, then aim target[by player], then release left mouse, then the arrow shoot out.

amazing plugin. well done.

any news about what will be done in V4?