Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

UnityEngine.Mathf vs System.Math

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by TheEnigmist, Jul 5, 2012.

1. TheEnigmist

TheEnigmist

I'm new in unity and i don't know what are the difference between Mathf and Math. Which is faster and better optimised? There are difference if i use Math instead of Mathf?

2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

System.Math uses doubles, UnityEngine.Mathf uses floats. Since Unity uses floats, it's generally better to use Mathf so you're not constantly converting floats/doubles.

--Eric

3. Krobill

Krobill

Math is usually faster than Mathf even with the necessary double to float conversion (on PC at least, didn't run the tests on other platforms). So if you don't mind putting (float) everywhere and you're looking for the optimal performances go for Math. Then again if you're really after extreme performances, some operations like Sin and Cos are better handled with home made precomputed results...

4. TheEnigmist

TheEnigmist

What will be the difference if i try to implement my own math lib? Will performance be high or just a bit more?

5. Toasttify

Toasttify

Don't try to reinvent the wheel unless you truly have to, more than likely the original will be faster.

SamFernGamer4k and TV4Fun like this.
  6. TheEnigmist

TheEnigmist

Infact it is only a wast of time :D
    So System.Math is the best! Thx for the info :)

SamFernGamer4k and yaguat like this.
  7. atr0phy

atr0phy

I highly doubt your 'benchmarks' are accurate, regardless. From what I can tell from the assemblies, Mathf is just a wrapper using casts for the respective System.Math functions.

E.g.
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public static float Sqrt(float f) { return (float)Math.Sqrt((double)f); }
    So, if anything, Mathf will generally perform slightly slower.

8. skauth

skauth

Also, something I just discovered:
    `System.Math.Round(val, precision)` exists.
    `Mathf.Round(val, precision)` does not work.
    I'm sure there's more like this.

josefloresvargas likes this.
  9. icanseebraggplanes

icanseebraggplanes

Hi, sorry I know this thread is really old I'm just starting out in c# and unity and just wondered where you can find the definitions of methods like Mathf.Sqrt()? For example, all i can see in the docs is an example of using Mathf.Sqrt() but I would like to know where I can find the explicit definition of the method itself, ie. how it wraps and casts the input and output of System.Math.Sqrt(). Where did you find your specific example? Thanks

10. rakkarage

rakkarage

11. eskivor

eskivor

some Mathf methods are just System.Math conversions to float

ArunPrakasam likes this.
  12. marcospgp

marcospgp

Sorry for the necro but this is the first Google result

I believe at this point it makes sense to use C#'s MathF library instead of Unity's Mathf?

andyz likes this.
  13. Lo-renzo

Lo-renzo

Wow, I wasn't even aware: https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/dotnet/api/system.mathf?view=net-7.0

It lacks common gamedev things like Lerp and Smoothstep, for most other cases it probably doesn't matter. I can't see myself switching out of convenience.

For maximal performance, there's Burst and Mathematics https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.mathematics@1.3/manual/index.html

But Unity themselves don't recommend switching for an existing application. Mathf is fine for normal usage, despite its notoriety.

https://docs.unity3d.com/Packages/com.unity.mathematics@1.3/manual/compatibility.html

14. marcospgp

marcospgp

UnityEngine.Mathf
    relies on
    System.Math
    which only works with
    double
    s, while
    System.MathF
    works with
    single
    s/
    float32
    s.

This may have a small effect if any however, since this code runs on the CPU. I believe the GPU should have a stronger variance between 32 and 64 bit floating point math.

15. AcidArrow

AcidArrow

It's a bit interesting to me why Mathematics is so much slower when using Mono. In a presentation when they showed the numbers (many years ago), it seems they didn't quite have an answer why it was so much slower with Mono (I believe the presenter said something along the lines of "we definitely need to investigate what happens there"). I guess many years later no one has an answer?

EDIT: I misremembered, the presenter gives an explanation at around 32minutes.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2024
    FaithlessOne likes this.
  16. andyz

andyz

This is an important point! - I feel some il2cpp tests are needed to see what the final comparison is!

Edit: But if using il2cpp it seems they already consider this UnityEngine.Mathf should use System.MathF - Unity Forum