Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Error Launching Unity Player

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by contas, Jul 4, 2012.

1. Gaming Zone FR

Gaming Zone FR

do u have configure 'outlook express' or 'thunderbird' in your PC ? because the sofware maybe use a client's mail ....

2. contas

contas

I can't do that because that computer is my dad computer s:

Last edited: Jul 13, 2012
  3. alexthan13

alexthan13

Error Launching Unity Player

at least fix that damn Unity dll..15 days now i always install-uninstall programms,drivers ,win updates,even i did a fresh win XP installation,enough,do something........

4. contas

contas

Same thing its realy anoying

5. Bracki

Bracki

Is there any way to clear the web player cache without using the Unity homepage? Maybe that would help.

6. Securis

Securis

chrome.exe 1972 RegOpenKey HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\webplayer_win.dll NAME NOT FOUND Desired Access: Read

After receiving the error, I deleted webplayer_win.dll, loaded the tropical paradise demo, received the "failed to load unity dll" error. I checked the directory where it was originally located and noticed that the plugin did in fact download webplayer_win.dll again. It crashes after the preceding registry call. All other queries made to this file directly by the webplayer were successful according to the process monitor:

chrome.exe 2260 ReadFile C:\Documents and Settings\Securis.THEFUTURE\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer\player\3.x.x\webplayer_win.dll SUCCESS Offset: 6,762,496, Length: 8,192, I/O Flags: Non-cached, Paging I/O, Synchronous Paging I/O

Update: After creating a registry key for webplayer_win.dll and dword checkapphelp, the process monitor now reads:

chrome.exe 2260 RegOpenKey HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\webplayer_win.dll SUCCESS Desired Access: Read

chrome.exe 2260 RegQueryValue HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Image File Execution Options\webplayer_win.dll\CheckAppHelp SUCCESS Desired Access: Read

Still investigating...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  7. Securis

Securis

8. Uluket

Uluket

Please read thru for the workaround I found.

This error definately started with the release of the version 3.5.3.0
    Once this error shows up, uninstalling - deleting unity folders - installing or installing previous versions (with the exception of one) does not correct the problem. The only previous version that installs correctly (by the way they all install correctly) and is able to see the unity web player settings window (http://webplayer.unity3d.com/setup/) is beta version 2.5.5.50
    The unity web player settings window will update the beta files but when a game such as battlestar galactica is started it immediately starts installing v3.5.3.0 which reverts back to the error.

Procman is to grand in scope and I could not find any way to narrow it down to just what was happening with unity. So, after getting slaughtered in the overkill i moved on.

Re Unity3dTechSupp (CreativeChris and others) Sugg: I tried each of your suggestions without success. I don't have anti-virus, malware and windows std firewall can be disabled or enabled without change in results. I could not see file permission differences but became suspicious with this and found the following workaround.

http://en.board.bigpoint.com/bsgo/showpost.php?p=2774210&postcount=106

background: AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz, 768MB Ram, Win XP Pro SP3, this is a game machine so i don't like to have anything running in memory.

9. Securis

Securis

I notice that the newest versions of the webplayer installation don't include the 2.x.x files as this zip file does. Perhaps it is a backwards compatibility issue and requires these files to run?

Workaround was successful for me as well.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2012
  10. kyndrion

kyndrion

confirmed, the linked fix worked for me as well. thanks!

11. contas

contas

What i have to do to this work?

12. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

13. contas

contas

Thanks a lot please can u send me an e-mail when unity team have made new update for Unity Web Player?

14. Catalin

Catalin

After a night of work to find solutions, I just come with an easier work-around, since the first one didn't work for me with Dungeon Empires game.
    1. Download this zip file: http://www.4shared.com/zip/UyndAc7o/Unity_Web_Player_3-3-0-63135.html (is the same like in first work-around)
    2. Install ANY version of Unity web player (probably you will preffer the last version).
    3. From zip archive copy this file Unity/WebPlayer/player/3.x.x/webplayer_win.dll and replace the one from C:\Documents and Settings\"your.name"\Local Settings\Application Data\Unity\WebPlayer\player\3.x.x
    4. Right click on that file, proprieties and select read-only
    5. Enjoy :)

15. Thelo

Thelo

A customer of ours running WinXP had this problem, and Catalin's fix did solve it. Thanks!

16. Pa3PyX

Pa3PyX

I believe I've tracked down the root cause, at least as of version 3.5.5f4 where it is still not fixed. In short, it is due to overzealous compiler optimization settings. As indicated before, using webplayer_win.dll from the Battlestar Galactica workaround allows Unity to run on my computer (for now -- but it's obviously not a valid solution).

Target OS: Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
    Memory: 2G
    CPU: 2x AMD Athlon MP 2800+
    Unity Web Player: 3.5.5f4, installed as UnityWebPlayerFull.exe /AllUsers (same issue using a bootstrap installer, or in per-user mode)
    webplayer_win.dll: 7,013,008 bytes, SHA256: 11b5ca4f4827f69be2bba210478a08c6b606395486844179d9857e2555fd0f20

Webplayer_win.dll crashes with EXCEPTION_ILLEGAL_INSTRUCTION (0xC000001D) at VA 0x10587C50 while attempting to initialize its statically linked MSVC runtime. Stack trace:

Code (csharp):
    2. 10587C50 __ehhandler$?_Init@locale@std@@CAPAV_Locimp@12@XZ+0x2A17
    3. 103D963C __cinit+0x57                                            
    4. 103DB712 __CRT_INIT@12+0x6F                                      
    5. 103DB82C ___DllMainCRTStartup+0x54                              
    6. 103DB8E7 DllEntryPoint+0x19                                      
    If we look near this address, we'll see:

Code (csharp):
    2. 10587C50 F2 0F 51 05 48 40 5E 10     sqrtsd  xmm0, ds:qword_105E4048
    3. 10587C58 F2 0F 5A C0                 cvtsd2ss xmm0, xmm0
    4. 10587C5C F3 0F 11 05 48 30 6F 10     movss   dword_106F3048, xmm0
    5. 10587C64 C3                          retn
    The offending instruction is SQRTSD (F2 0F 51), which is an SSE2 instruction not supported on my CPU.

Please turn off /arch:SSE2 in your MSVC builds. While it is OK to assume SSE is present on all targeted CPUs nowadays (so /arch:SSE is safe), you cannot in general assume the presence of SSE2 and higher. Those are only available starting with AMD Athlon64 and Pentium 4.

Instead, you can have your bootstrap installer (or full installer, for that matter) detect the presence of SSE2 at install-time, and then (download and) install either SSE2-optimized or normal builds of your executables.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2012
  17. alexthan13

alexthan13

i do believe from the beginning that this issue is an unsupported hardware issue or hardware drivers issue.will see..

18. Pa3PyX

Pa3PyX

It *could* have been, except AFAIK nowhere in the system requirements does it state to need an SSE2-capable CPU (or any specific kind of CPU to begin with). And if it doesn't, then it is supposed to run on any kind of CPU that Windows XP SP3 can run on. The fact is, it doesn't (and that's verifiable by disassembling webplayer_win.dll), so it's a bug. The issue is not related to video or OpenAL drivers, at least not on my system (while there could, of course, be more than one way to get this error message on other systems).

Last edited: Aug 23, 2012
  19. DIsaacs

DIsaacs

I'm having the same problem.

I've tried all the methods you guys have suggested , but it didn't worked.

Hope it can be fixed soon.

20. theBrettman

theBrettman

Awesome work finding the problem. I'm running Vista on an Athlon XP processor and I'm having the same problem. How someone is not having a problem on Vista but only XP must be a different problem but for all of us not running Pentium 4, Athlon 64, or newer; it's obviously the lack of SSE2 support in the processor. I would think it shouldn't take them a long time to change a compilation flag in their build and release an update. If this workaround works, that shows that SSE2 shouldn't be a requirement. I will do the workaround even though I am building an Athlon X2 system as soon as my new mobo gets here! I'm anxious to play this game! :)

21. R0z4R

R0z4R

One week without any action in this case even though a user made the staff's work and found out what the reason for this error is.
    Also no reply from any staff-member to this thread if they're taking any action on it.
    That's not satisfying.
    Please be so kind to tell people what you're going to do regarding this issue and also when you will take action on it!

Thank you in advance,

R0z4R

22. CreativeChris

CreativeChris

Unity Technologies

23. Eansmom

Eansmom

Chris, I am wondering what the final solution was to this after reading through the thread. I am attempting to have my son play Monkey Quest and I continue to get this error about launching unity player. His computer is freshly wiped with a new install of Win 7. I downloaded the latest version of unity player after seeing the error but it did not fix it. I have tried both chrome and IE to no avail. Thanks for any help you can give.

24. dasraiser

dasraiser

Hi

i played the demo Angrybots on my pc a few weeks back and it worked fine, when did this update occur? as i downloaded the game programming editor a couple of days back to use and now i suffer this problem.

so is the error im seeing when i try to load unity3d for programming games, be down to the fact i have an AMD 2.8+ XP chip with no support for SSE2?

if this is the case would the workaround fix my install? i will try in the meantime however.

25. Pa3PyX

Pa3PyX

In this case, you should at least update the system requirements page ( http://unity3d.com/unity/system-requirements , System Requirements for Unity-Authored Content) to reflect that; as I mentioned, currently SSE2 support is not in the system requirements. Additionally, you should post the last non-SSE2 version at the Web player download page ( http://unity3d.com/webplayer/ ), clearly stating which CPUs need the older version. On attempted upgrade, the user should be given a warning that the system requirements changed, and be given an option to cancel the upgrade.

In general, it's a lame business practice to "drop" support for systems where it worked before, but now fails to work after a minor upgrade, possibly automated. Dropping support for something would only be acceptable for major upgrades, for example from 2.x to 3.x (I noticed your directory layout allows different major versions to coexist.)

26. Rosebella

Rosebella

I'm facing an error too! I tried it on 3 of my computers and they all are different. 1 is windows XP and the other 2 is windows 7 but the 3 of them have the same problem! i tried Catalin's solution but it didn't work for me. HELP!

27. jokeruk

jokeruk

OK - so any update on this?

I'm running Windows 7 64bit, on a laptop with an Intel Core i5 processor - so not exactly a crappy machine.

Does it work? Nope - not a sausage.

28. Ghost Exposure

Ghost Exposure

Ok Chris, is it possible that the computer is the problem not unity? Or is it unity not responding? Like I used to player Dead Frontier, a game uses unity, it was fine until the message error thing poped up, so is it the computer, Unity, or the Unity can't work right with that computer?

29. A3R0

A3R0

I hate to see that I can't find any solution to this. At first the workaround from the bigpoint forums helped me out. If it did it again, I would do the solution again. But today when I came home around 8, I got on a game that used unity, Dead Frontier, and it had the problem once again. SO I did the same thing I normally did if it happened: copy the folder from the zip file. But THIS time, when I closed everything and got back on it, it still did it. I was pretty shocked, wondered why it didn't work. I came on this, still no solution, and wondering when will there be one? I really want to get a solution to this... so please try and find one.

30. AcidHairBall

AcidHairBall

Didn't you read Creative Chris' post? Unity dropped support for CPU's which don't support SSE2. In other words if you want to play Dead Frontier again you'll have to upgrade your CPU or your system altogether, which is complete bull$h!t.

I've also been having this issue ever since DF did their Halloween update.

31. RainyShadow

RainyShadow

You should at least do what Pa3PyX suggested and release the last non-SSE2 version of the web player with the auto-update function disabled.

It's such a pity to simply cut down so many people from their favorite games that worked fine before these updates.
    Consider also that a lot of these people paid with their hard-earned money for in-game content - a huge disappointment to one day find out that they've been automatically blocked from using it...

32. izabartender

izabartender

estou com problema no jogo milmo do facebook. sempre dá erro no unity. muitas pessoas aqui no brasil estão com esse mesmo erro no milmo. já existe alguma solução?

33. asiertxo

asiertxo

I have the same problem to load Bgone - Nplay.

"error launching unity player" and details "Failed to load unity dll".

I have uninstallin web player and installing several version (as it's daid in this forum, I've followed all systems), but the problems continues.
    The problems have appeared suddenly. I haven´t any problem, one week ago and I don´t make any new thing.

Thanks for any solution (system Windows 7 64 bits)

34. klaylenbr

klaylenbr

ele não toca no jogo dead frontier fica aparecendo duas coisa não lembro agora mais 3d erro ------- mais um outro programa esta dando erro que não lembro aparece lauanching unity player eu pesso para que voces manda alguma informção dizendo por que esta assim o unity ok

35. xeony

xeony

Hey! There is a solution but not very useful.
    Run as administrator your browser... I tried it on my laptop with chrome-firefox, thats working...
    (tested operating system:win 8 pro)

36. itchyOwl

itchyOwl

This works indeed.

After trying to uninstall and reinstall the web player with no success (it throws an NSIS error, which, I suspect, is related to a registry error, since I found a nonexistent link to unistall.exe in my registry), I uninstalled Unity editor and cleared my registry of everything related to Unity, to no avail. Then I tried to launch the web browser as admin and tadaa! Works flawlessly. The problem seems to be related to admin rights then. BTW I encountered the issue only with FF and Chrome, not in IE.

Browsers: FF 19.0 , Chrome 25, IE 9.0
    HW: Dual core E8500, Radeon HD4850, 4GB RAM

Last edited: Feb 28, 2013
  37. itchyOwl

itchyOwl

Update: suddenly it stopped working again.

38. Zerck131415

Zerck131415

Hello, I have been using unity for a while now with no such problems. It' has only recently that I have came across this problem my self. Now I'm sure that i can fix this problem my self with the information provided as of now, i hope, But my concern is of all the people how are not educated enough in the ways of computers to do so. Seeing as this problem is now resurfacing again and it seems to be over updates and some other things that we can't quite put our fingers on. I think it would be smart to get more attention to this, what seems to be, a rare problem. This problem may be affecting a small percentage of the unity population but for the few that it is, as plainly evident from this thread, frustrating. I would love to help with this problem Chris and would be awesome if you could contact me via Email so we can talk more in detail about this. My point though is There should be a general fix for this in the next update.

39. RainyShadow

RainyShadow

Actually, this topic is about the specific issue of dropped non-SSE2 processor support in the Unity web player. The last few posts are about a different issue and don't belong here - they should've been posted in a separate thread.
    The problem is, that the devs decided to cut-off all users with older systems (AthlonXP, Via CPUs, etc.) and made the player require a processor with SSE2 support, despite the fact that older versions worked reasonably fine on these same systems. What's even worse - even if somebody still has the working older version installed, it will auto-update to the newest non-working version on it's first launch. Basically, the devs say "Get lost, poor %#@!$s, we cater only for richer users!"...

P.S. don't get me started on the "Buy new PC" crap...

40. neromise

neromise

did anyone find a fix for this because This error is happening to me. I have tried Using 3 different pc's. 2 of those pcs have never had unity webplayer installed or run dead frontier.

41. Eji

Eji

I am having a similar problem with my windows 7 pc. Also i am having problems uninstalling the program to attempt a fresh instal.

42. DarkGolem

DarkGolem

Dear Unity's Developers,

In our region (Hungary) there are lot of players who has systems without
    SSE2 support and they couldn't use the last version of unity 4.
    Now can you send us (or give us a link) a compiled beta unity 4 version without
    SSE2 optimization? We would like to help our players with this version.

Regards,
    Board Admin HU

43. CJeuniaux

CJeuniaux

Please you have to fix unity web player... you are ruining many player's bsgo experience. Many players like me can't even play the game anymore now and I decided to stop looking for solutions. I wish you good luck with that. "failed to launch unity web player" I had this message too many times now.

44. IIsaintII

IIsaintII

Guys. I might have good news for u. I had the same issue with Wn7 home pre. I think i hv a fix and its easy. Just uninstall unity player. I did it by revo uninstaller in advanced mode to remove all traces of installation including registry. Do a restart. Then install unity web player as administrator. Now you have to run google chrome as administrator. I hv tried this several times by running chrome in admin and non-admin modes. Unity player doesnt load if u do not run chrome as admin.
    BTW, running chrome as admin might do the trick, and u might not have to reinstall unity player. I wrote all details that i did.
    Enjoy. and i hope this works for u too.

45. x0319

x0319

At least place the min system requirements on your webpage,
    so we don`t have to spend our time searching in forums why half of the games using unity gives us the same error-Failed to load
    guess it`s a conflict with the CPU not supporting SSE2

46. Chisin

Chisin

I too have a unity web player problem $ghg.PNG

47. dreameden

dreameden

well i have same problem as well... and i solve the problem on mine computer. perhaps it work foru as well.
    first i guess you have deleted history, cookie, or temp file cause this problem.
    so what you need to do...
    1.contral panel remove unity web player
    2. restart computer
    3. make sure close all kind antivirus program
    4. VERY IMPOTANT! install unity weplayer as administrator (right click)
    5. enjoy!

it work for me...hope can work for u~

48. MehNamesChris

MehNamesChris

Ok, so everytime I go to play Counter Strike: Portable, I get the "Error Launching Unity Player, Error Details" Message. But it's only this game, I can play any other game on Unity...Please help?

49. Felician1000

Felician1000

Please help me i have a probrlem on BSGO when is starting say Error launching Unity Web Player on Error details say Failed to start unity web player

50. Russia86

Russia86

Hello everyone, I'm sorry for what I write, I am from Russia. Faced with the same error as you have tried to fix it for 2 days. Formatted hard drive. Windows did various XP and Vindovs 7. It did not help. I figured if the formatting does not work then it's not Unity. I removed completely chipset drivers (motherboard), removed the driver (NIC LAN) Install another version of the drivers for my motherboard and network card, restarted the computer, cleaned cash browser and everything works like clockwork. Who helped my way please unsubscribe. Regards Roman