Unity Community

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

1. Location
    Brazil

Dirty Words on games

I'm creating the storyboard of my game right now and I in this game the character does a lot of jokes full of sarcasm,but sometimes he uses dirty words.It gonna be a 2d platfomer it's not target for kids,but you adults will care if a 2d platformer character use a lot of dirty words?

2. Posts
    Who cares what we think? Figure out who your target audience is and find out what they think.

3. Location
    Texas
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasDaltro View Post
    I'm creating the storyboard of my game right now and I in this game the character does a lot of jokes full of sarcasm,but sometimes he uses dirty words.It gonna be a 2d platfomer it's not target for kids,but you adults will care if a 2d platformer character use a lot of dirty words?
    I wouldn't care, per se. But swearing is an art. And like any art, not every style pleases everyone. The general advice I've heard for including "controversial" material in games, literature, etc, is this: include it if there is a very specific reason it *needs* to be there, otherwise get rid of it. A piece of advice I saw once from an editor of a magazine I used to read, regarding fan fiction, said something like "adding foul language doesn't make a piece of writing more mature, it's just reduces the number of people allowed to read it." Something like that.

On the other hand, it's your game, so make what you think the target demo will want.
    Patrick

RedShift -- 2D space shooter. Inspired by 1942, Galaga, Centipede and other arcade classics.

Nuance Studios -- Online portfolio of games, technical demos, visual effects and animation.

4. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LucasDaltro View Post
    I think it best you leave the dirty words out because I'm quite sure that there are some you'd find offensive. Besides, dirty words are for 14 teen year olds and high school dropouts. Suggestions that you research what your audience prefers are silly given the lack of research by the typical person posting in these forums. That you're even asking the question tells me you know how lame cus words are anyway.

Bottom line: cus words don't make your game cool, edgy, intelligent, or provocative. They are filler and a disguise for lack of that in your game.

Besides that if you are targeting your game towards kids the content of the game itself must not be suitable for children if you're thinking of including cus words to make it entertaining.

5. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by goat View Post
    Suggestions that you research what your audience prefers are silly given the lack of research by the typical person posting in these forums.
    How does that even make sense?

You're right, people here need to research more stuff themselves a lot of the time. So surely encouraging them to do so is the opposite to a silly thing...
    Besides that if you are targeting your game towards kids the content of the game itself must not be suitable for children if you're thinking of including cus words to make it entertaining.
    Actually, he specified that it's not aimed at kids.

Something else that's worth considering, though, is that if you want this to reach a wide audience then it has to be marketable, and overdoing the explicit language will cut your options in that regard quite significantly.

6. Location
    random_shuffle(here.end(), there.begin());
    The use of expletives has its place. People all around us use them - not everybody though and not in all situations. Is the expletive used because it makes sense for the character and the situation or is it just being used to be cool/garner attention/etc?

At times, not using the proper expletive for a character in a situation can come off looking outright silly - trying to use "clean" language instead, can come off making it look like story time at the local preschool - unrealistic as you can get...

7. Posts
    If dirty words have no place, then why are they used so often in movies?

If it fits your game, then put a label on the cover: Warning, contains strong language.

The only people you're really going to offend / exclude are the seriously religious and 10 year olds who's parent buy games for them.

8. Location
    Mississauga, Ontario, Canada
    If you want a comparison, Lucas, I only have my characters use strong language where it makes sense. For example, one character in my current project is based on the average 12-year-old on Xbox Live who swears like there's no tomorrow, completely uncensored, until a certain character breaks the fourth wall and presses the "censor" button.

As such, I agree with MadRobot.

9. Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by angrypenguin View Post
    How does that even make sense?

You're right, people here need to research more stuff themselves a lot of the time. So surely encouraging them to do so is the opposite to a silly thing...

Actually, he specified that it's not aimed at kids.

Something else that's worth considering, though, is that if you want this to reach a wide audience then it has to be marketable, and overdoing the explicit language will cut your options in that regard quite significantly.
    Do you know how much money and time it costs to do real research? And to waste it on a topic that's a non-starter like cussing in games?

I've seen the lamest television and games that got past censors with ease but put a cus word in and you'll stop it in its tracks.

You really want the hassle of dealing with Apple and cutting off as potential customers with warning stickers of crude violence and lame swear words?

Wolfenstein most assuredly sold millions to kids though common sense tells you it should have been censored. Had they added cus words they would have gotten censored.

10. Posts
    Do you know how much money and time it costs to do real research? And to waste it on a topic that's a non-starter like cussing in games?
    No, but I do know the exact length of a piece of string. Not all research costs the same.

I've seen the lamest television and games that got past censors with ease but put a cus word in and you'll stop it in its tracks.
    And some simple (and very cheap) research will tell you whether this is an issue for your target platform and audience.

Some simple (and also very cheap) research will tell you whether it's important to the character you're trying to portray, as well. There are some characters where it would be utterly out of place and spoil the effect, where there are others where the exact opposite is true. For instance, I wouldn't try and portray an angry mob of long-term prison inmates by giving them eloquent language and a calm tone.

You really want the hassle of dealing with Apple and cutting off as potential customers with warning stickers of crude violence and lame swear words?
    Warning stickers might be just what you need to cut through to your target audience. But how do you know whether that's the case? Research it.

Wolfenstein most assuredly sold millions to kids though common sense tells you it should have been censored. Had they added cus words they would have gotten censored.
    Wait, what? If Wolfenstein should be censored then so should a large proportion of all video games.

11. Location
    random_shuffle(here.end(), there.begin());
    cutting off potential customers with warning stickers of crude violence and lame swear words
    Those two words...bold/underlined...are you going off of what the ESRB (other national rating board works with) - OR - is that just representative of your personal beliefs on the matter?

Obviously, if you're making a Mature (much less a Teen) rated game - you're going to be cutting off potential customers. Parents won't buy your game for their five year olds. People that do not want to see such things, will not buy it. Etc, etc, etc.

However, if they're not your intended audience...who gives a #$!%&, eh?

12. Posts
    What kind of "dirty" words are we talking about? Generally cuss words or more nonstandard sexually related ones? Because there is a huge difference.
    What matters is if they fit, do they feel natural in the dialogue, would the dialogue be different/lose it's meaning without these words? Do they fit the character? Because using "Fuck","Shit" 10 times in 1 minute is neither funny nor interesting. Now if you use some vulgar words to make a pun or a joke, that's entirely a different matter. Then you also have to know why you're making games? To express your artistic ideas to the world or to maximize profits.
    Please use [code][/code] tags when posting code. Otherwise rapid eye bleeding can occur.

13. Posts
    It would be fun to have a character swearing 2 minutes all overlayed with a beep... The more fun would be to be able to force the character to swear... I would lmao, rofl and lol all the day...

Morning: Because using "Fuck","Shit" 10 times in 1 minute is neither funny nor interesting.
    U know.... We have an popular tv cop from the 70-80's here... He was really a tv star and he used to say "shit" over 10 times in one episode sometimes...
    ~ Check Upcoming RTS-RPG 6thousend ~

14. Location
    Austin, TX
    I'm not the type of person who swears, or even includes "swear" words in quotes. It just feels wrong to me, as it should - if it didn't feel wrong, they would be ordinary words and nobody would use them because they don't make that much sense.

I almost always try to avoid swearing in my games. If a character's personality leads them to swear, I'll censor it or have it happen off-camera somehow.

That said, sometimes swearing can be used effectively, if you're the type of person willing to put it in your game. One example that comes to mind is the movie Independence Day - pretty much every time somehow swears, it's used for massive comedic effect. "You did NOT just shoot that green **** at me!"

15. Posts
    I think swearing is normal and should not be limited because it's a "bad word". Swearing can show anger, frustration, stress. It also makes things feel more serious when used right. Obviously these days everyone swears like mad so it lost the effect it had before.
    Please use [code][/code] tags when posting code. Otherwise rapid eye bleeding can occur.

16. Location
    Leeds, UK
    If you're aiming to make it funny, there's a lot more creative wit and humour that can be derived by thinking around swear words rather than using them.

To use Monty Python as an example;
    "Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elderberries!" is far funnier than "Fuck you!".

17. Super Moderator
    I fart in your general direction.
    Currently working with Sony on our new
    PS4 and Vita game in Unity!

This post is not representative of Simian Squared Ltd

18. Location
    Brazil
    Thanks for the feedback guys
    When I did this post I was starting my storyboard and it was 2 am hehehe so I was very sleepy,now reading the doc I can see that without the saying "fuck" and "shit" sometimes(not always,only when he's very mad).After your feedback and a good rest I understood that my game need to be as I want otherwise it will look like AAA game without AAA features.The story is full of sarcasm and bad jokes about video games if I didn't put some dirty words it will look like this:
    You Fool!!!Stop doing this thing!!!You will ruin us!!!
    And that's not the appropriate language for my character.It's better make some religious rednecks mad than turn my game into a joke(ok it will be a comedy,but I want the game content as a joke and not the future game reviews).
    Ow ok thank you guys!You're awesome

19. Posts
    You will ruin us!!!
    You should leave that in. That line never ceases to entertain me.

20. Location
    Cheonan, S. Korea
    If it's a navy game it would be funny to move ships around and they reply with cussing in their confirmations of your orders.
    Laying down the framework for my new game project now.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast