Search Unity

Undead Pixel

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by TylerPerry, Jul 1, 2012.

?

Which version?

1. Story

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  2. Survival

5 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Survival2

7 vote(s)
    21.9%
  4. Hybrid

13 vote(s)
    40.6%
  1. Dewy

Dewy

If you're trying to make gameplay similar to Doom, or any other 90s raycaster FPS, there's one kind of big issue. Movement speed, it's way too slow. Other than that terrific work! I'm working on something similar, as in a game like Doom. And you have given me confidence that it is feasible to get the art style in Unity. :)

2. tapanui

tapanui

how do you get the transparent texture????

3. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Use a shader that supports transparency, and have a transparent background on the texture.

4. tapanui

tapanui

and what shader do you use still new with that stuff

5. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

IIRC I used the "transparent diffuse shader" it comes default with Unity.

6. tapanui

tapanui

when can we have an update?

7. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

No idea, I've been working on another game that has taken up most of my time.

8. tapanui

tapanui

with your permission i would like to post a small overview and a link to this thread on tumblr ?

9. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Feel free :D

10. virror

virror

Hey Tyler, you really need to finish a game sometime : p
    I think you often have very cool games so its kind of a waste : )

11. tapanui

tapanui

12. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

13. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hello, I'm trying to get a very strict direction fro my game Undead Pixel(more info here), but I need some help with how I should take the game(I'm basically restarting everything story wise) now, these are what i've been thinking:

1. Normal FPS style, so you do missions following a story, these give you items etc(no levels but body armor is the equivalent of level) upon death you just re spawn at your house(hide out) and can find your way to the missions. No consequences... no lost items or anything like that. your time of survival is not saved.

2. Survival, you get dumped in a city filled with zombies, there are guns etc around the place to collect, with items etc. but the main objective is to survive for as long as you can. your survived time is saved.

3. Survival 2, this time there are "quests" but the main objective is still to survive. these quests may get you a good gun or whatever IE "collect the uranium from the power plant" this might get you a Gatling gun. these quests reset when you die. Your hide out is fully reset, you loose everything. the time you survived for is stored.

4. Hybrid, the hybrid system would consist of main quests when you die these DO NOT reset, so you can continue to die over and over these will be the core of the story. There are also small side quests, these do reset when you die, upon dying only the items on you get lost (may be food, resources or whatever(note not body armor)) at your house you can store guns etc. the amount of time is saved and stored in a high score.

Thoughts?

14. Myhijim

Myhijim

Go with 3, certainly 3!

Multiplayer? I would buy your game, no joke :D

Do something L4D2 style?

Or similar but with RPG aspects mixed with the whole Nazi zombie survival aspect.

Game I have been waiting for since 2000 :p (Dead island was close but it was a big dissapointment)

15. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

OMG, now my thread has been ruined :( with this ugly poll.

16. Jackjan

Jackjan

I want all 4 modes :D But I voted for Story.

17. virror

virror

I voted for number 4, but number 3 would also be very cool : )
    Please, don't do pure survival, to many of those out there already : p

Edit: Maybe you could start with pure survival though and build from that since its probably the easiest to implement.

18. cCoding

cCoding

if you plan to release this then you want to plan on changing the name. CSR studios made a game called "dead pixels"

19. AndrewGrayGames

AndrewGrayGames

...Aah, but Undead Pixel != Dead Pixels. He should be fine.

And I vote for Hybrid. That being said, Story is a really good option I'd be good with.

20. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I don't want to shed to much light on multiplayer as things might not turn out but it hopefully will come.

That is what I think :D

21. Myhijim

Myhijim

Chop chop, haven't seen updates for ages :) Eager.

22. virror

virror

Also, i love the name Undead pixles : )

23. tapanui

tapanui

realy love the art style

24. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Thanks guys :D

Note that not much has been done ;) and most systems are going to be rebuilt in the future.

25. dxcam1

dxcam1

a fellow procrastinator

26. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hi I'm wondering about GDD's I have a couple of questions :)

I'm thinking of re factoring my GDD into a wiki format, I think it would work better that way as people can read just the sections they want without finding the right page in my word document? I think it will look nicer and be more readable, is this a good idea?

I had a go at writing some of a GDD over the last few days, What do you think of it? is that how it should be structured?
    This is the link to what I have so far, I apologize if the spelling and punctuation are terrible, And in some parts the structure falls apart but I plan on fixing them, but if it becomes a wiki then that isn't a problem.

27. virror

virror

The important thing is that it works for you, no one else can tell you if its good or bad but of course they can have tips and opinions : )
    I think its a good start.

28. Seven

Seven

Haven't read through the whole GDD but literary issues disregarded it seems a pretty solid base - gives me a good idea of where you want to go with the game on top of the screenshots you've posted previously.

Only thing i would personally avoid would be referring to other games in it. (for example you bring up minecraft when referring to the art style) Rather than this it would be better if you explained the art style in a more detailed manner to help clarify it to readers who had somehow managed to avoid ever hearing about minecraft.

Oh and the iOS layout may need tweaked, from personal experience a massive drawback of FPS games on my phone is when they throw stuff in my peripheral vision and block out the bad guys. I'd lean more to putting stuff at the top and bottom than at the sides, the player is less likely to find it obtrusive in a firefight. (Status bars on the top, item buttons on the bottom?)

I would make the GDD a word document over a wiki (could add at a later date) - the document is really for you/other members of your team first and the community second.

On a side note get this done! :p

29. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I'll re shape the touch UI, As that is a very real problem.

30. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Hello all :D This is the start of the new updated story :)

What do you all think?:

31. virror

virror

Thats was an advanced zombie story : p

32. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

What do you mean? advance with the space ship, the style of companies and the android?

33. BrendanKZN

BrendanKZN

Nice work TylerPerry, quite unique which is what I like. Wish you all the best with this title!

34. HeadClot88

HeadClot88

Hey TylerPerry,

Just curious - How are you making your sprites stay facing the player. (Front Sprite, Side Sprites, Rear Spites, etc.)

I am curious as I am developing a small game like this in terms of general art style. (Characters rendered on a few 3D planes to cut down on Draw Calls in a large world.)

Thank you for any response,

Ben

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  35. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I only have a front and back sprite, these are just plains in a 3D world, and rotate etc. like a normal 3D character. So no my sprites don't face the player, only when the player gains there attention then they just face the player using Transform.LookAt.

36. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Saga to of the story!:

37. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Retracted.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2013
  38. Myhijim

Myhijim

Would do, but I do these things for lol's.

And my computer is dead so..... Maybe in 2 weeks :p

39. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Actually, I retract that last statement... I still have lots of preparation to do, and after that I think I'll be in a coding mood :D

40. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

A few updates, this is the Edward Spring Sprite:

$SpringSprite.png

And this is a new build, it features UnitySteer zombies(Still need lots of tweaking), the new styled guns, these are actually just made of cubes but the actual ones don't but i'm wondering what people think of this design with the guns, this is just a test with duel wielding pistols, and this has a few tests with GUI layout, I think that I will make the GUI elements something like 50% transparent:

$Test0.01.png

If anyone is having trouble seeing the images here is a link to the webplayer

Last edited: Mar 3, 2013
  41. xichaelx

xichaelx

Sorry for being slightly off topic, but how do you run the web player off dropbox?? I've tried several times and scoured the nets for tuts on how to but can't find anything, and I see your player is...

42. Code_Of_Honour

Code_Of_Honour

Easy, build the WebPlayer into your public folder. Then just get the public link to the .html file, and you're set.

43. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

Yes, this is how to do it :)

44. Myhijim

Myhijim

Looks amazing Tyler.

Die hard dead pixel fan

45. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

46. tylernocks

tylernocks

So how exactly did you get the sprites to work in unity3D, what asset or did you programming it yourself.

47. Myhijim

Myhijim

48. tapanui

tapanui

it been a while since last update whats up?

49. virror

virror

Very nice builds both of them!
    The second ones was kind of hilarious when the zombies started to climb on each other and pile up : D

50. TylerPerry

TylerPerry

I've been working on a new animation system, but now that I test it it seems that it wont batch.