7 22.58%
  • Hybrid

12 38.71%
Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Undead Pixel

1. Location
    Victoria Australia

Undead Pixel

I though what I'd do is make a thread for a game I'm working it is a zombie FPS but with some pixely goodness to spice things up though it is still very much in development and views of the early builds are a invalid view of the finished product (I am still looking for feedback though) but i am super exited so ill make this thread anyway

Basically i have decided on nothing about the game, except that it is all sprite based (Like old doom etc.) and has zombies, i have some ideas on what the game will be like but they are not set in stone, i think having it free roam around a city with score keeping then it counts how long you last and how many zombies you kill before you die, around the city there would be weapons health etc to aid in your survival, you could ether just avoid zombies but then you would still not get a great score as killing zombies adds to your score, the zombies would spawn at a rate so not killing them would lead to you being over whelmed by zombies.

Builds
    V0.01
    V0.02

Other stuff
    Zombie turntable
    Last edited by TylerPerry; 10-17-2012 at 05:02 AM.
    Maybe you can help me work out how to smooth my planetary gravity!

Quote Originally Posted by hippocoder View Post
    Calm down, you're posting all kinds of nonsense that makes no sense. I suggest you post less, and follow http://unity3d.com/learn tutorials.

2. Location
    Victoria Australia
    Latest Build
    V0.02
    Build Notes

In this build you can just walk around, shoot zombies in a small world, but you cant be killed and nor can zombies
    Last edited by TylerPerry; 07-25-2012 at 02:03 AM.

Calm down, you're posting all kinds of nonsense that makes no sense. I suggest you post less, and follow http://unity3d.com/learn tutorials.

3. Location
    Victoria Australia

4. Location
    United Kingdom
    I know you said it's not representative but I thought I'd provide feedback anyway:

*I would suggest using the Unity FPS controller rather than one you wrote from scratch.
    *There isn't enough visual feedback when you hit the zombies, there should be blood splatter or whatever.
    *It looks like you're changing the texture based on the number of times the zombie is hit, so if I shoot it in the right side of the head the left side looks blown off, that's a fine idea but you'll need to break the hitboxes up into smaller sizes for it to work consistently.
    *The art style is a good choice, the minecraft thing is big right now.
    *You stop shooting for a while (reloading?) but that isn't indicated to the player at all. If you're reloading there should be "reloading" text or an indicator on screen.

Good luck!

5. Location
    Victoria Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by LeakySink View Post
    I know you said it's not representative but I thought I'd provide feedback anyway:
    Thanks, I am still looking for feedback even though it is not a finished project(i am going to modify the OP)

*I would suggest using the Unity FPS controller rather than one you wrote from scratch.
    I actually am :O but i intend to strip it down of the code i don't use.

*There isn't enough visual feedback when you hit the zombies, there should be blood splatter or whatever.
    I will add this, some zombie flesh flying off

*It looks like you're changing the texture based on the number of times the zombie is hit, so if I shoot it in the right side of the head the left side looks blown off, that's a fine idea but you'll need to break the hitboxes up into smaller sizes for it to work consistently.
    Hmmm, ill try and work that out

*The art style is a good choice, the minecraft thing is big right now.
    Yer, plus i have always loved pixels and retro FPS

*You stop shooting for a while (reloading?) but that isn't indicated to the player at all. If you're reloading there should be "reloading" text or an indicator on screen.
    I think this is just a problem with my script(or if it is when the red flash is infront of the gun then that is just because it is shooting)

Thanks for the feedback

6. Posts
    this looks epic! if you can make the gameplay fun and also add a story (characters that say stuff, a general "point" to the what you are doing in the game that drives your actions ) this should be interesting.

7. Location
    Victoria Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by yuriythebest View Post
    this looks epic!
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by yuriythebest View Post
    if you can make the gameplay fun and also add a story (characters that say stuff, a general "point" to the what you are doing in the game that drives your actions ) this should be interesting.
    Hopefully

8. Location
    Victoria Australia
    Sorry, I have lots stuff happening so i haven't got much time to work on my game but i did manage to make a building texture.(it is 64x64) Also i am very interested in what frame rate people get in the webplayer version(in OP) soon i should make a far, far... far better performance i will do this by having all the zombies one mesh (and therefore use one material i hope?) as with lots of zombies i get a terrible performance, but with a super low amount of materials this should be no problemo

9. Location
    Croatia
    Looks awesome!But on some places you could use some more pixels.
    Portfolio:Under construction!
    Cartoony Weapon Pack-Medieval-FREE
    New to Unity? Orient yourself now!
    Learn Unity

10. Location
    Victoria Australia
    Thanks

I have been resting :P so i haven't done much and now school is back on(And the time machine needs some tweaking ) so development will be at snail pace probably oh, and i have been doing some vertex color tests so that would have slowed it down, but over the past eons that i have been working i have made the zombie AI much faster and a new shop front:

11. Location
    Victoria Australia
    This is v0.02:

LINK

for a week it is not much to show but it has a kind of area, floor is now made so that is good I haven't worked on it that much because i don't know...

I took away killing zombies, because i think it will be faster to when you shoot the zombie to death it they regenerates its health and moves to a spawn point, instead of the old system were you shot it to death and then it destroyed that one and made a new one at the spawn point.

frame rate seems to be better, but not having occlusion culling in Unity free is a bit of a bummer.
    Last edited by TylerPerry; 07-25-2012 at 02:01 AM.

12. Location
    Cheonan, S. Korea
    I like the pixel graphics and the amount of pixels is fine, the problem is not that you need more pixels on the gun and enemies, it's that you need more contrast. The gun kinda disappears into the house texture. The enemies are very desaturated, consider making their outline slightly darker to help them pop more. You might actually need to shrink the gun and add more pixels to give it an outline. Also the brains need an outline.
    Laying down the framework for my new game project now.

13. Location
    Croatia
    I would replace brains with hearts similar to minecraft ones.Gun needs more pixels right now it looks like a stick.
    Portfolio:Under construction!
    Cartoony Weapon Pack-Medieval-FREE
    New to Unity? Orient yourself now!
    Learn Unity

14. Location
    Mars (yep there's life, and Unity, on Mars)
    Great idea, I like the look of it!

15. Location
    Victoria Australia
    Well i though i should post something sense i haven't in like 4 weeks, the reason i haven't posted is because i have been super busy in my school and stuff this and the fact i wrecked all my wall prefabs makes for a really annoying few weeks

But sense i haven't posted anything this is a screenshot of it at the moment(The only thing that has changed is the health are not as squished and the prefabs broke :'( wrecking the textures ):

16. Location
    Germany
    That is by far the coolest and most original thing I've seen from you. Keep that project up

17. Location
    Australia
    Looking very cool, it has the kind of quirky look that could get you some notice ... if the gameplay is good ... make it good!
    2D Platform Controller - Solid, configurable 2D/2.5D Platform controls for Unity.
    City Builder Starter Kit - Create games like DragonVale, Simpsons Tapped Out or even Clash of Clans.
    Automatic Acrobatic: Parkour System - Spice up your games with acrobatic parkour moves.
    2D Character System - Say Goodbye To Programmer Art

18. Location
    Victoria Australia
    Thanks guys haven't really touched on game play to much yet.. once i get the basic graphics down that is when i will start.

I know lots of people say that graphics don't matter so much until the game is done, but i strongly belief that the graphics could make the game play be strange if they are not right, like i don't think this style would fit with a fully serious horror zombie game.

19. Location
    Victoria Australia
    This post was to long so i just removed all its content

(it was crap anyway )
    Last edited by TylerPerry; 08-28-2012 at 02:24 AM.

20. Posts
    Looks very cool !, I wouldn't make it into a priority since its very hard to do but look into possible online multiplayer . Photon lets you do 20 players at a time for free , so look into it .

Very good work though
    Last edited by keithsoulasa; 08-27-2012 at 08:14 PM.
    http://beatquestgame.com

Everyone makes a classic platformer , here's mine

https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...QnJvc0xpdGUiXQ..

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast