Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Manor Construction Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LuxUnity, Jun 28, 2012.

1. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Exterior balcony is in to do list.

This is really weird. I will fix it soon, thanks for the advice.

2. Ronin-Ra

Ronin-Ra

Awesome! Can't wait to see them :D

No probs, I just noticed the glitch myself.

3. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Exterior balcony and Balcony_Stairs_A fix will be ready in manor 1.6

Last edited: Jan 2, 2013
  4. GameTech

GameTech

I am making a first person resident evil like game, and was wondering if your pieces are low poly? Like how much tris does your manor pieces on average have or the most used ones? Also, does your asset come with multiple textures or just one and if one is it just like the pictures? Are colliders already on them?

Also can you make a narrow corner balcony piece without windows or doors?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2013
  5. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Manor 1.6 is ready in asset store

You can see this here:
    https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/3718
    In the gallery there are wireframe model with polycount
    and here some more examples:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/141662-Manor-Construction-Kit?p=969897&viewfull=1#post969897

There are various texture ready:
    4 for floors
    3 for wall-paper
    and some other for stone and stucco.

Walls floors and ceilings are design to use tileable square texture, so you can easy use your own (some one have used Allegorithmics substances too see precedent post in this topic).

Yes.

For exterior the new bacony aready allow that; for interior not now, but I add these in the next update.

6. GameTech

GameTech

Nice, I got it. I was wondering if you could fix the evil crack flickering from the corner of the hall stairs corner_wide pieces (L R pieces). I set background to black, no skyboxes, alignment is not my error cause its only one piece, and whenever player walks towards or away it would randomly flicker tiny bluish white dots or lines along the corner itself.

7. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Very strange, I had tried to reproduce your problem but not see any evil crack. Could you make two test?

1) Try to use a material NOT specular for the wall, if the crack disappear, the evil crack can be instead a light reflex, so with a small change of light point it will be work

2) I see a door to another room in your image, maybe is something behind the corner that overlap this corner piece. To verify it, try the evil prefab alone in another scene and look if there are the evil crack again.

8. wccrawford

wccrawford

When I had a similar problem earlier, it turned out that I had accidentally shifted part of the piece, instead of the whole piece, at some point. You could try removing that corner piece completely and putting a new copy back in its place.

9. GameTech

GameTech

I wish it were, but nope, the evil crack shows even when I am in the process of placing it. Can you try it too with the hall_stairs_corner_wide_AR and hall_stairs_corner_wide_AL pieces? If you move around a bit you should see flickering, I am wondering if maybe I did do something or if others have it then it does need to be fixed.

10. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Technically can be a real crack because crack appen when two surface are not perfect snap together;but hall_stairs_corner_wide_AR e hall_stairs_corner_wide_AL walls are a single piece, not two wall snapped at 90°. So must be something other. Can you post a screenshot very close to "crack"? I whant see if is always a vertical line of one pixel or can become wider or diagonal.

In the worst case scenario, if only you have this issue, I can try to send you a mini-asset with only the evil mesh redo, but before I need figure out what appen.

Another thing: you have posted here during the passage at the 1.6 version, so I not sure if we are talk of last version, or the 1.5. If you not have last version make update the asset.

11. GameTech

GameTech

Hey thanks for the quick reply! It appears to be because of the specular material shader. I tried diffuse and it went away. I do not understand your solution for it though. I tried different lights at different distance it still shows evil cracks. The other corners are specular with no evil cracks so I do not understand why only these two corners. I suppose I could keep them as diffuse, but could you explain how to fix it? I provided a close up. This is with the corner selected. There are three vertical lines from the mesh from what I can tell. I updated the asset.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2013
  12. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

With very very strong light the reflex on the edge of the corner can be too much strong, but not seem your case.
    Now I send you a private message with a unity package, open it in a new project.

13. GameTech

GameTech

I see, the evil crack does not show up in the new project. In my other project it still shows up, no matter the lighting condition, is there any other reason why white lines show up?

14. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

This is a good news. The asset that I have sent you contain the same mesh and prefab hall_stairs_corner_wide_AR and hall_stairs_corner_wide_AL actually in asset store (manor 1.6). So the asset not have an issue :D

About why you have white lines, I don't know; pheraps something go wrong during package extraction, or you have accidentally modify something in the asset. Redownload and/or extract the asset or replace the two evil prefab with the two that I have sent you.

15. GameTech

GameTech

Thanks for trying to help, I have replaced them but it still shows up, I did not change anything in the asset from what I can tell. I include video just in case it gives insight.

16. derkoi

derkoi

Have you tried looking at the model in game view? I notice some irregularities in the scene view sometimes, it could be that its fine in the game view?

17. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

So the same prefab have a crack in your project but work correctly in a new project, right? Perhaps is something about render and quality setting.
    Go here:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-QualitySettings.html
    and here for render:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Documentation/Components/class-PlayerSettings40.html

Look if there are differences betwent the two project and if the issue persist changing things.

Another idea: have you try the narrow version of the stairs? Wide and narrow share the same mesh for corner wall; so if you not have issue with narrow, you can:
    1) select wall in narrow prefab
    2) CTRL+D to duplicate it
    3) draw new duplicate wall out to the children tree of prefab (so it became independent)
    4) put in the scene a wide prefab and snap new wall over evil wall
    5) destroy evil wall
    6) drag new wall in children tree of wide stairs
    7) save the new prefab with the new wall

18. GameTech

GameTech

Yeah I understand scene and game view can be different, but I checked both so it is not the case.

After I disable anti-aliasing the evil crack goes away. Hmm, I think if you turn on anti-aliasing you will see the problem I have since I think it is disabled by default at least in my new project.

I also find it strange that the color for the wall paper changes at the corner, cause there is a 3 line mesh for the corner and it is light green rather than dark green.

For the last idea, I tried it, I even parented the original wall to the duplicated wall and reset the duplicate transform so it matches perfectly, but then the wallpaper and the wood part are in the same place so it shows through. I believe the two meshes are slightly different.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013
  19. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

No luck. By default I use anti-aliasing and I have look at the evil corner with all type of quality setting of unity without found any crack.

Ok, time to drastic method: Il rebuild entirely the wall without the corner face so the anti-aliasing don't will find anything to crack. This will make wide staris corner different from the others but I hope in no a noticeable way.

20. GameTech

GameTech

I'm actually quite interested in knowing why it is only me cause its probably a setting like you say. I am using Unity version 3.5.6f4 and here are settings I have. Also thanks for trying to help even though its problem only on my side, I rarely give ratings for anything unless the product is very poor or completely awesome, but I shall give you five stars for effort and for awesome product even though evil crack.

21. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Thank you!
    I found something: the critical variable is "Pixel Light Count". I have move it from 3 to 4 and I have see the crack (only in editor window, not in play window); so I have remodelled the corner again until the crack disappear. Never seen a similar error before, I think is a some sort of corruption of the information during saving and model stuff, and very nasty because it becabe visible only with a few unity setting.

Now I send you a new provate message with the new version of the corners, if it work fine, I'll add this in the next asset update.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2013
  22. GameTech

GameTech

The new assets work fine! I replaced my old corners with the new corners and there is no evil crack. Good job!

23. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Veru good! So in the next update : this fix, the narrow corner interior balcony without windows and doors, and new prefabs to go from interior to exterior balcony.

24. GameTech

GameTech

Awesome! If you ever have time, can you also make a staircase that goes from the floor to wall and then splits to two sides like the resident evil mansion here.

25. wccrawford

wccrawford

I have to say, I've always loved staircases like that.

26. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Nice idea, added to to-do list.

27. Ronin-Ra

Ronin-Ra

Oh yes! I too would love to see this one added to the kit :D

Another question: The narrow balcony corner pieces are much larger in area than the wide ones. Why is that?

28. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

A simple aesthetical choice. The wides are cover from the adjacents pieces so don't need an interesting handrail.

29. Ronin-Ra

Ronin-Ra

Oooh right, that explains it :)

Been trying out the exterior pieces and really love them! :D

But there seems to be some pieces missing:
    There's no interior door piece that matches the floor 2 and 3 exterior door pieces.
    Also, floor 2 and 3 exterior door pieces have an opening below the door, shouldn't there be some kind of floor or something there?

And a request:
    Could you make a normal exterior door for floor 1 too? Love the main door, but there's also a need for a normal door on first floor.
    Also, an exterior double door for floor 2 and 3 would also be very nice :)

Keep up the good work!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  30. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

I know, the 1.7 will be about that.

When you put the balcony the opening will be close. Look at exterior example scene.

I add these to to-do list.

31. GameTech

GameTech

Just out of curiosity, what kind of game are you making or are you just trying to recreate real mansions?

32. Ronin-Ra

Ronin-Ra

Well, my studio, Kybernesis' main game in making is an online strategy game set in a Post-apocalyptic cyberpunk future, called Corp Wars.

But on the side, when I need a break, I'm dabbling with this kit to make a mansion based Cthulhu Mythos game. The mansion is inspired by Whitemarsh hall and the game mechanics are inspired by X-Com, Mansions of madness(board game) and H.P. Lovecraft's writing.

33. Ronin-Ra

Ronin-Ra

Your support and dedication to this kit is commendable!
    I feel I got way more value for the buck on this kit, when you're so willing to listen to us and do the suggested adjustments :D

EDIT: Adding this here so I don't triple post :p

I know I might be nagging now, but is there any chance you could make big versions of these two exterior balcony pieces and a balcony floor 1x2 based on the big 2x2 too?

Last edited: Jan 18, 2013
  34. gamedivision

gamedivision

Just stumbled across this ill be buying this for sure,looks great

35. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Added corner 2x2 for big balcony, the other piece have already a 2x2 version.

New version in upload:

Last edited: Jan 19, 2013
  36. Ronin-Ra

Ronin-Ra

But that other piece has a narrow balcony kind of floor (1x2, but shorter on the 2 than a big floor), so it don't fit too well with the big balcony floors. If that made any sense :p

Awesome! :D

37. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Open exterior scene and look at terrace on the roof, the central prefab must be that you need.
    You can find it in:
    manor>exterior>brefab>balcony>big>balcony_frame_2x

38. GameTech

GameTech

I like the new staircase, will go excellent in my survival horror game :)

2 things I would like to point out.

1.The new piece that you fix is awesome, but I think the ceiling texture is now a bit off. Parts of the ceiling has enlarged texture, and parts are ok. Might be the UV mapping or something.

2. I noticed another evil gap, when vertex snapping door pieces and corridor pieces together, door to corridor, corridor to corridor. Near the ceiling, the wooden parts has a small gap no matter how I snap the pieces together. I know it is a gap because upon closer inspection I see through.

Trying not to be nitpicky, but I'm going to learn how to model someday, and I believe pointing out every small detail makes you a better modeler professionally. Also cause you care, you are awesome, every asset maker needs to learn from you.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  39. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

version 1.7 out in asset store!

Thank you for your useful advice!

40. Ronin-Ra

Ronin-Ra

I think you misunderstand what I'm saying, so here's a picture to help get my point across :)

As you see, there's 3 different "middle" pieces. From left to right: Narrow 2x2, big 2x2 and narrow 2x1. What's missing is a big version of the 2x1 (right-most piece). Since the floors are different size, snapping a narrow 2x1 to a big 2x2 don't quite work ;)

41. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Now I see. I'll add it in 1.7.1

42. Ronin-Ra

Ronin-Ra

Great :D

43. GameTech

GameTech

What software do you use to make these models? I am trying to learn Maya, but it is expensive.

44. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

1.7.1 with corridor fixs and new balcony prefab is ready in asset store

Never used Maya. I use a old version of 3dsmax, it is expensive too :(

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
  45. jesta

jesta

The package is great, but unfortunately, there seems to be quite a few problems with the "half_stairs" parts. I need to manually translate or stitch various parts of the prefabs, and even then it's not perfect. Maybe a little revision of these parts would be necessary?

Otherwise, great work and great package.

46. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Could you are more precise about what problem you have?

47. derkoi

derkoi

I just bought this but all the models seem to have random surfaces flipped?

Attached Files:

48. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

In ispector preview some prefab seem flipped, but if you put it in your scene, it work accurately.

49. derkoi

derkoi

Thanks, that worked however I'm finding that sections in the staircase are not aligned properly, there's gaps all over.

50. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

There are various prefab stairs, could you post a screen and/or tell me the prefab name?