Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Manor Construction Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LuxUnity, Jun 28, 2012.

1. derkoi

derkoi

Sure. It's the split staircase in the hallway.

half_stairs_base_L
    half_stairs_base_R
    Half_stair_L
    Half_stair_R

The stairs, walls and the floor/ceiling are all off from each other

Attached Files:

2. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

I have made some test using:
    - half_stair_L
    - half_stairs_base_L
    - floor_4x
    - Balcony_large_4xA

in editor:

in play mode:

When you snap prefabs, use always floor as reference and be careful to move the whole prefab and not only some children. Also Look at the rotate value, sometime when you rotate a prefab an ,000001 value appears and that mess up snapping.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  3. derkoi

derkoi

I can't get it to line up, no matter what I try.

Attached Files:

4. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Strange, as you can see they fit together using floor as reference.

But, I'll add some new prefab with whole stairs in one piece to make thing easier in the next asset update.

5. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Manor Construction Kit interiors and exteriors - 1.7.5 ready in asset store with full half stairs prefabs, exterior double balcony door and single f1 door

6. LastSipahi

LastSipahi

I just bought this asset and I'm really satisfied by the content, great work.

However, I can't get a clean build and run the game. I tried it with Unity 4.0.1f2 and 4.1.2f1. There is only Manor scene in project and nothing else, yet I receive crashes. I run other projects without problem but when I import manor cons. kit it crashes. I tried it on two different computers with 2 different OS (win 7 and 8).

Here is mu crash log, the place where I get crash, incase you need

7. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

This seem a unity bug, report it to develeoper:
    http://unity3d.com/BugReportingFAQ

8. LastSipahi

LastSipahi

Thx for your reply. I've send the bug report to Unity, mean time I was inspecting problem and I found out that only the UV_Rotate script attached objects causes crash. Is there way to alter this code? Or solve the problem ?

9. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Mesh.uv code don't seem be change from unity3 to 4, and if it was a syntax error, debug window would have show an error allert with line script where it was; something like "ERROR! Assets/UV_rotete.cs(11,1):".

Instead a crash without a line error in script, must be sign of an unity bug. The only thing that you can do is put the script code between /* */ in order to disable it.

This crash is something that only unity guys can solve.

10. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

I tested it with Unity 4.1.3 indie in win7 and any crashe happen in editor or in build exe version.

11. HKSpadez

HKSpadez

just purchased this! love how involved you are with responding to this thread and keeping it updated.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2013
  12. jbh142

jbh142

How mobile friendly is this and are there plans to make it mobile friendly?

13. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

I have tested it on a ipod4 and run a 5 FPS. A customer have use it on other device and said "It working like a charm on iPad2 and GalaxyTab2 7"."

I plan to make a version more optimize for mobile, but it will take time.

14. artysta

artysta

I've just purchased and have a build issue. All works fine in the Unity Editor, runs fine, no errors. But if I build an executable (MacOS) the app will hang after a minute or two after select PLAY from the selector window. No errors, hard to trace, just hangs. I've used the given scene untouched. Any ideas? Since Unity doesn't crash I don't have anything to send to them.

15. artysta

artysta

OK, I tried commenting out the UV Rotate script and it now works.
    What in there is causing the app to hang?

16. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

I build and run interior demo scene with UV Rotate script active in unity3d 4.1.5f1 and mac mini osx 10.8.4 with 2.ghz core5, ram 4gb dd3 and everything works fine.

I remember a similar issue on mobile if I run a big scene without optimize with a room activation/deactivation method.

Try to buil a small scene (only a room with UV Rotate active) and see if things working. If work, try to buil every room as a child of a empty object to enable/disable with a script when the player not need to see it.

17. artysta

artysta

I will try that and report back. Thanks.

18. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

A little (big) news: I'm working on manor V2 a total rebuild with better quality, more flexibility and more. Stay tuned!

19. Ronin-Ra

Ronin-Ra

Ooooooh! That's awesome news! Maybe I'll finish my horror interpretation of Whitemarsh Halls too then :D

20. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Actual Manor

New Manor work in progress

21. derf

derf

What is the uv rotate script used for?

By the way your my first asset purchase!

22. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

It is used to orientate the floor parquet texture.

Thank you :D

23. wccrawford

wccrawford

Oh very cool! Can't wait to see what you come up with!

24. derf

derf

Thank you for the quick response. Looking forward to version 2.

New question for those whom have used this asset, anyone have a simple example script on opening the doors in this asset?

25. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

26. derf

derf

I actually looked at that last night but wasn't so sure about its solution within the manor construction kit.

27. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

There are many way to open a door and this is one. You can also use a distance check from door to player instead of a trigger collider.

28. derf

derf

Thanks for pointing me to the tut, got my script updated using some of their stuff with my own.

My current dilemma is with the Hall->Main Windows, specifically the glass texture in the window. I have a lightningThunder script that when there is a flash of lightning it will turn off and on rapidly for ~1 second the spotlight with the window cookie, which works great by the way; but it is also trying to change the Main Color of the glass texture which works for making the window "dark" by making the RGBA color 13f, 13f, 13f, 255f.

The glass texture is still visible at that level but looks more like a window on a dark stormy night, which is what I want. The problem is when the lightning flashes I am trying to restore the original bright texture look to show a flash of lightning outside rapidly, but I instead get a washed out bright white color and no texture visible when it flickers. so it alternates between the dark look and a washed out bright white look which does not look as good as I would like.

What is the proper way to "restore" the original main color so the texture is not washed out? I am at work and do not have access to post some code, but does any one know a good way to do this?

29. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

You could try to store the original color value in a variable, before the change, so you can re-set the value using the variable after the animation.

30. derf

derf

I figured it out.

In order to alter the color with a shader and testure you cannot use teh old gameObject.renderer.material.color, this does not work in this situation because the color attribute is apart of the shader itself. All that happens is you blank out the texture and simple color the material to the color you specify.

So to anyone who wants to alter the color value of a texture on one of the models in this kit use

Color _default = new Color(1f,1f,1f,1f); // What ever float values you need to use.
    gameObject.renderer.material.SetColor("_Color",_default);

31. derf

derf

Can we use the same script approach for the double doors? They seem to be setup differently then the InteriorDoor prop.

32. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Open a door or two is the same. Only you must decide if you want to open the two door together or independently.

33. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Manor 1.8 in upload with the first part of Manor2 update: corridors!

34. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Manor 1.8 ready in asset store!

35. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Manor 1.9 in upload with 233 new premade blocks for room and hall.

36. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Manor 1.9 is ready in asset store!

37. Qualdan

Qualdan

Is it just me or are the new blocks not compatible with the old ones?

38. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

It Is exact, manor2 is a total rebuild. New blocks are 5x5 unity unity to allow more easy assembly work, are ready to me fuse together through script to drastically improve drawcall, allow diagonal walls and more... But to archive these improvements I had to change proportion ratio between new and old blocks. Right now I'm working to cellar and exterior block, so at the end you'll will have two different complete set of blocks to build manor-like stages.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  39. Qualdan

Qualdan

Well, that explains it. Any estimate on when it might be done?

And I just have to add that you've been doing excellent job so far.

40. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Version 1.9.5 with cellar will be ready in few days, version 2.0 with exteriors and doors in a week or little more.

Thank You For Your Appreciation!

41. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Manor Construction Kit interiors and exteriors - 1.9.5 ready in asset store with the third Part of Manor2: cellar

42. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Manor 2.0 in upload with exterior and doors!

43. sicga123

sicga123

More great stuff, this kit just keeps on getting better. Thanks for all the work you put into it, really appreciated.

44. michaelalterio

michaelalterio

For the new manor assets, why are the prefabs pink? There are no textures or materials applied to them.

45. Qualdan

Qualdan

I found a small error from one of the the original manor's cellar objects.

The object "cellar_C" has the doorway and ceiling connected, which means when you change the material of the doorway, the ceiling receives the same material.

The other objects do have separate ceilings. Makes it easier to customize the cellar.

46. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

I'll fix it in the next update (not version 2.0 because is ready submitted).

Could you tell me the name of these prefabs?

47. Qualdan

Qualdan

Thanks for the support.

I also found another similar error on "cellar_angle_door" and "cellar_angle_door_R". Both of these have the problematic part on the door side; the arch above the door and the lower part of the wall share their material.

Edit: Same thing affects the "cellarC" and "cellar_lateral_door_B", which also has the same problem as the one I mentioned on the previous post: the main wall shares material with the ceiling.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  48. michaelalterio

michaelalterio

It seems that all the prefabs are like this. Also, does anyone know how to prevent screen tearing when you move the player close to the wall?

$Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 5.16.49 PM.png $Screen Shot 2013-11-04 at 5.17.19 PM.png

49. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

This is strange. Have you a folder called "material" with:
    - balcony and frame stairs
    - balcony_floor
    - fireplace
    - floor_marble
    - glass
    - parquet_A
    - stairs
    - wall_wood_diffuse
    - wallpaper_1

material in it?

If not, try to redownload the asset.

50. LuxUnity

LuxUnity

Because manor2.1 will take some time to be ready, I'll will send you a private message with a focused fix to cellar (manor1).